Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

headcase posted:

As much as I hate aiming to be the key skill in a game, that looks absolutely unfun.
half the fun of fps games is dodging shots like youre neo or something

the ragehack level aimbots games are giving total randos takes this away lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

comedyblissoption posted:

half the fun of fps games is dodging shots like youre neo or something

the ragehack level aimbots games are giving total randos takes this away lol

To add, ain't this why bloom is still being used? I understand why it existed prior to the AA growing hosed. But with how potent it is in most games, having a magical "oh you randomly missed your target lmao" thing might be considered to level the "field".

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i really prefer non-bloom solutions since it's more intuitive and feels better, although a tiny bit of bloom is acceptable

soldier 76 tastes way way better in non-bloom flavour

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

hello internet posted:

I bet they already exceeded monetary expectations for the entire scope of OW2 and figured continuing to invest significant time and money into it was a waste.

highly doubt

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

dogstile posted:

So yeah, I think it's a bit weird that people had faith in blizzard, but i've been laughing at them for like 6 years at this point since they killed the monthly melee's and then had literally nothing for a year before launching OWL, which if I recall they're getting sued for by the investors.

Yeah the franchises in the OWL all paid millions for the privilege of entering a team into the league and they're all feeling a bit scammed.

Blizzard/OWL also settled a case against the US government recently, something to do with colluding to keep player salaries down.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it is 2023 and the only good fps is counter-strike

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wheeee posted:

You mean counter-strike

TWO

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah the franchises in the OWL all paid millions for the privilege of entering a team into the league and they're all feeling a bit scammed.

Blizzard/OWL also settled a case against the US government recently, something to do with colluding to keep player salaries down.

the viewership of the league is up this year and the level of competition is pretty high

BUT

holy poo poo is it unsustainable. the Houston Outlaws, one of the more popular teams in the league, reported *gross* revenue of 1.4 million dollars in 2022. Their buy-in for Season 1 was TWENTY MILLION dollars

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

anyone who paid millions of dollars for an overwatch team deserves to lose it all

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wheeee posted:

anyone who paid millions of dollars for an overwatch team deserves to lose it all

look at this insanely hilarious number they pulled out of their rear end for S2

https://dotesports.com/overwatch/news/season-two-overwatch-league-buy-in-21023

SIXTY MILLION

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Wheeee posted:

I have a blast in bf2042 on my ps4

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

widespread posted:

You mean counter-strike

TWO

on god

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I actually fired it up last night on PC.

Three matches later, I hit level 21 on the Battlepass from the start.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

oh yes

https://www.counter-strike.net/cs2

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

widespread posted:

Y'know, what if Blizzard could outsource it instead of killing it?

... Nah, they'd need Microsoft's money for that at this point.

Haha, they already were. Airborn Studios was an outsource team that made a ton of seasonal skins during the lulls in OW1 and also did work for OW2. External help on big internal projects is not uncommon.

Also, War3 Reforged was like 90% outsourced too, and look how that turned out. The studio working on it got thrown under the bus because the producer or whomever was in charge of actually managing the project just never actually gave good direction for the outsourcers, which is why everything looks so weird.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 17, 2023

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It will forever be hilarious that people flocked to overwatch because of the cool art and beautiful trailers and unique characters and they immediately tried to pivot to making it an e-sports thing than ever try and invest in those. The only single cinematic short that has under 10 million views on their channel is Junker Queen's and even then it still has multiple millions. Meanwhile only 2 OWL channel videos have broken 1 mil and they're both 6 years old.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

bf2042 is fun idk if the aim assist crossplay is good or terrible but it doesn't look like a ragehack aimbot so it's good with me

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

quote:

they immediately tried to pivot to making it an e-sports thing than ever try and invest in those.

Well, "they" in this case would be Bobby Kotick talking up his wealthy friends to buy in on a hot new eSports opportunity he had cooking in his brain. I don't really think the actual developers truly wanted anything like OWL, but got saddled with making it happen and ended up pulling a lot of resources to churn out logos, themes, skins, and a bunch of spectator tech.

I still don't understand why they're still on YouTube though. Twitch has a lot of bot views compared to YT but man, Google must have given them a lot of money for the deal for them to continue on the platform after I thought their exclusivity contract ended.

Edit, continued unsolicited thoughts:
The eSports market is already flagging and OW continues to struggle even in 5v5 because it's fundamentally such a frenetic and demanding game that it's impossible to follow the action if you're not already intimately familiar with the game in the first place. 5v5 was supposed to help with readability but then Blizzard added multiple heroes with gigantic Fullscreen VFX so we're back to square one :lol:

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 17, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

heard u like girls posted:

The amount of people here interested in OW pve is honestly baffling to me

skill issue

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

best part is that comment can work multiple ways, both for and against the post it's in response to

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bobby was absolutely selling smoke when the OWL formed, although everyone kinda was in the halcyon days of pre-2019 where it was taken for granted that the esports bubble would continue indefinitely

it is mindblowing in hindsight to think that they intended for there to be home -> away games as a main feature and that teams were seriously constructing full-sized arenas for the purpose of hosting OWL matches when online viewership for the OWL was, even during the twitch days, about on par with the average LCS game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

verbal enema posted:

I need to pick this back up. I played at launch and it was, uh, not great. But I've heard it's much better now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vermain posted:

bobby was absolutely selling smoke when the OWL formed, although everyone kinda was in the halcyon days of pre-2019 where it was taken for granted that the esports bubble would continue indefinitely

it is mindblowing in hindsight to think that they intended for there to be home -> away games as a main feature and that teams were seriously constructing full-sized arenas for the purpose of hosting OWL matches when online viewership for the OWL was, even during the twitch days, about on par with the average LCS game

I think that there were a bunch of very stupid people who assumed that 60k people watching a twitch stream would somehow translate into 20k+ people buying tickets to go in person to a stadium to watch people play a video game on screens.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

PantsBandit posted:

I need to pick this back up. I played at launch and it was, uh, not great. But I've heard it's much better now.

Feels like BF4 but a little different imo

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The bigger blow for me out of OWL is that its very existence culled indie leagues and tournaments. Third-party organizers could no longer hold "unofficial" events, IIRC, as Blizzard took control of that scene. It's nice to see Contenders back in season but it's a little painful to see how low-budget they are compared to OWL. Go watch the Lucio contenders skin promo to see what I mean.

And since Contenders got neglected the players are way less disciplined and there's also less oversight, which is how a bunch of early patch note leaks happened near the start of OW2. Now I wonder if Contenders even gets that stuff early anymore.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

novaSphere posted:

Well, "they" in this case would be Bobby Kotick talking up his wealthy friends to buy in on a hot new eSports opportunity he had cooking in his brain. I don't really think the actual developers truly wanted anything like OWL, but got saddled with making it happen and ended up pulling a lot of resources to churn out logos, themes, skins, and a bunch of spectator tech.

I still don't understand why they're still on YouTube though. Twitch has a lot of bot views compared to YT but man, Google must have given them a lot of money for the deal for them to continue on the platform after I thought their exclusivity contract ended.

Edit, continued unsolicited thoughts:
The eSports market is already flagging and OW continues to struggle even in 5v5 because it's fundamentally such a frenetic and demanding game that it's impossible to follow the action if you're not already intimately familiar with the game in the first place. 5v5 was supposed to help with readability but then Blizzard added multiple heroes with gigantic Fullscreen VFX so we're back to square one :lol:

Blizzard infamously tanked StarCraft and StarCraft 2 esports previously.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kanos posted:

I think that there were a bunch of very stupid people who assumed that 60k people watching a twitch stream would somehow translate into 20k+ people buying tickets to go in person to a stadium to watch people play a video game on screens.

The worst part is that when it worked, it was actually a shitload of fun. I went to the first in-person event in Dallas and it ruled.

Unfortunately, well, *gestures at the last three years*

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kyrosiris posted:

The worst part is that when it worked, it was actually a shitload of fun. I went to the first in-person event in Dallas and it ruled.

Unfortunately, well, *gestures at the last three years*

Yeah, but would you buy season tickets and go to the stadium for every game like how normal sports stadiums operate?

There's absolutely a market for big on-site esports events that people go to watch - stuff like the LoL/Dota majors and the International are examples - but I think people view those things as yearly fun events like conventions.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Hah, yeah. I honestly think Dota broke Blizzard, forcing them to need to own everything.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

they definitely owned themselves

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kanos posted:

Yeah, but would you buy season tickets and go to the stadium for every game like how normal sports stadiums operate?

There's absolutely a market for big on-site esports events that people go to watch - stuff like the LoL/Dota majors and the International are examples - but I think people view those things as yearly fun events like conventions.

I would've gone to as many as I did hockey games, yeah. At the time I wasn't season ticket wealthy, but it would've been a consideration.

The biggest problem was that there were so many false starts and unknowns that it was impossible to really commit to anything in that degree.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Runa posted:

they definitely owned themselves

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Kanos posted:

the brood war scene seemed pretty crazy until blizz killed it

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Well they didn't have control of Starcraft 1 esports, and that's the problem, in terms of how Blizzard see it.

They had a court case back in the day, in South Korea, where they wanted a cut of the first esport, the huge starcraft scene there, that they accidentally caused.

The courts there told them to gently caress off. This lead to them taking control of Starcraft 2 esports from the start in a top-down way, and ultimately to this weird OWL model where they act like they're the NFL or NBA.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

wonder what jeff's up to these days

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Runa posted:

skill issue

posting diff ? :P

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
when they finally stopped supporting sc2 esports the annual finals were still doing similar viewer numbers to big OW2 events despite getting like 2% of the resources/support

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wheeee posted:

By now I expected him to have some new startup akin to Metzen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Wheeee posted:

He made a career switch to luxury home construction

https://www.jeffkaplanconstruction.com/