Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

If nomifactory's GT is anything like GTNH, the dust form of the mineral will yield the most relevant uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Echophonic posted:

Man, there has to be something up with unique oregen in Vault Hunters. Like, I get that the 0-5 range is swingy for output combined with Fortune 5, but eeesh, game. I'm level 44 with 71 vaults run.

it's crazy, I have enough or the other gems for my first echo pog but I have ZERO iskallium and cannot find any, I've had 2 pieces this entire run and I'm level 33

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I feel somewhat disappointed in Nomi in that I can just make the vanilla crafting bench and furnace. And just craft logs into planks just like that.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Black Pants posted:

I feel somewhat disappointed in Nomi in that I can just make the vanilla crafting bench and furnace. And just craft logs into planks just like that.

Do I even want to know what it's like in whatever other pack you came from? (GTNH?)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Umbreon posted:

Do I even want to know what it's like in whatever other pack you came from? (GTNH?)

They both (crafting table, furnace) need flint. (You can craft it from 3 gravel, at least.) 2 planks per log before hand tools.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Umbreon posted:

I was playing a fancy new 1.18 version of Terrafirmacraft recently.

TFC would be a good opener for a GT pack, surely.

Edit: gonna try out this Terra Firma Rescue.

Edit 2: it took me some hours but I just got myself the ability to make copper ingots and a crafting bench.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 14, 2023

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gtnh question - does anything in-game actually tell you how big forestry multifarms can be?

the questbook links to a wiki page that gives a big bundle of diagrams and then has as a footnote,

quote:

As of forestry_1.7.10-3.4.0.7 farm sizes have increased considerably. A 3×3×4 multi-block structure creates a 15×15m farm and a 5×5×4 structure makes a 35×35m Farm.

i've just built a 5x5 farm multiblock with the intention of feeding an initial pyro oven and now suspect i have overbuilt significantly

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

gtnh question - does anything in-game actually tell you how big forestry multifarms can be?

the questbook links to a wiki page that gives a big bundle of diagrams and then has as a footnote,

i've just built a 5x5 farm multiblock with the intention of feeding an initial pyro oven and now suspect i have overbuilt significantly

Nothing in-game. However, normie wikis are useful for this, except for one point.

https://ftb.fandom.com/wiki/Multifarm

However, if you install GTNH's custom uranium tubes in the multifarm, in order to farm the far superior IC2 bonsai crops, the range actually goes up by 4 in each direction.

You can get the required U238 from processing thorium ore from the nether. IC2 bonsais can be made by planting vanilla saplings directly on crop sticks, no breeding required.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's a big fuckin' farm :whitewater:. i thought this would be more manageable than pushing HV for a farming station...

turns out you need HV for easy access to nitric acid for creating saltpeter to passivegen fertiliser from pyrolyse-ash centrifuging byproducts, too. ah well. batch farming for now

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

turns out you need HV for easy access to nitric acid for creating saltpeter to passivegen fertiliser from pyrolyse-ash centrifuging byproducts, too. ah well. batch farming for now

Dig hole instead. Saltpeter ore is extremely plentiful from the nether, and apatite ore is also extremely plentiful from the overworld. A single apatite vein will feed a forestry multifarm for forty forevers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Honest question: is there something wrong with the Crop Manager that won't work for you? Or is it just the size of the farm?

I'm all-in on Benzene through a pyrolyse oven now and 1 LV crop manager with a suboptimal 11x11 field of spruce bonsai feeds a pyrolyse oven and a shitload of coke pvens. You don't need fertilizer to make it run, you can speed it up by piping water to it, and I've never lost a spruce bonsai to a weed since they're packed rocerher in that 11x11 grid, just dont leave any gaps with empty crop sticks.

I think you could reduce the size of the farm as long as you 1: provide water to it so it can hydrate and 2: layer it. Since it harvests in a 11x3x11 area, you can get extra crops out of it. Put a water hole in the center of your field to get the original 9x9 farmland square from vanilla minecraft, but place one dirt block directly next to the water so you can build the crop manager directly on top of the water source block. Then you can add a layer of dirt on top of the first layer of crop sticks, creatively arrange some water source blocks to hydrate that layer as well, punch a hole here and there to make sure all the original crops have enough sunlight, and 1 LV crop manager can technically harvest two separate 11x11-ish layers of bonsais using minimal energy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

why do i never see any gtnh players using the ztones garden soil for farms? it doesn't require water blocks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

why do i never see any gtnh players using the ztones garden soil for farms? it doesn't require water blocks.

They are actively worse than regular vanilla farmland for ic2 crops. Using regular dirt/farmland confers a (small) nutrient bonus to the crop.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

:rip: all that time i spent breeding up ic2 crops

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How do I fix this so the cells going into the red square area evenly go up and down. What is happening is the heavy fuel line over time steals all the cells I assume because it's always back logged waiting for the light fuel cells.

Edit: And If I just throw more cells in I end up with 64 heavy fuel (in some stage) in all the spots where the arrow points as well as 64 emptys and probably 64 heavy sulfuric in the buffer tank itself.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

there's no way to round robin with those pipes. i can't really parse what those machines are because of your texture pack, but i'd recommend reworking that to include dedicated buffer tanks for each process with conveyors instead of trying to merge all your empties into one line then distributing accurately.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

alternatively,

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
My solution was to put more than a full stack of cells into the system so even if one machine hogs them enough spill over to keep it running. I also put a locked drawer as a buffer. I don't know if it's necessary but it helped my brain set up the routing.

Get item conduits asap though because gt pipes suck if you're trying to handle anything other then direct point to point.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

How do I fix this so the cells going into the red square area evenly go up and down. What is happening is the heavy fuel line over time steals all the cells I assume because it's always back logged waiting for the light fuel cells.

Edit: And If I just throw more cells in I end up with 64 heavy fuel (in some stage) in all the spots where the arrow points as well as 64 emptys and probably 64 heavy sulfuric in the buffer tank itself.

Use a GT distributor for even ratio distribution. GT item pipes will always insert into the closest inventory first (and in that case, it's probably whatever order the machines get inserted into the list of valid destinations.) Ender IO conduit round robin is awful.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bawk posted:

Honest question: is there something wrong with the Crop Manager that won't work for you? Or is it just the size of the farm?

i wanted to try the forestry multifarms as i've never used them

given the lovely documentation and the fact that they turn spruces into red spruces (which do not seem to grow 2x2 patches of saplings into megaspruces), the forestry farm does the job but i officially Do Not Like It. i will need to swap to crops once i get some uranium but i'll probably tear it out at some point and use it elsewhere for food farming instead

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Update: day two, I'm now getting around to using the anvil to make my first plates. Considering I need to first heat ingots until they are workable, then fuse two, and then do the hammering minigame to make a plate out of them, I wonder how long it'll take for me to regret this.

For now though, I'm just finding it very amusing.

Hahaha forging lead is stressful.

Interesting, so this pack uses its own custom fork of TFC, and GT6.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 15, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My storage was filling up faster than it should and I wasn’t paying much attention to why until last night in which I decide to figure out what is happening.

So… anyone know how I can easily get rid of a quarter million wax. I uh forgot to set a filter on my beehives.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My storage was filling up faster than it should and I wasn’t paying much attention to why until last night in which I decide to figure out what is happening.

So… anyone know how I can easily get rid of a quarter million wax. I uh forgot to set a filter on my beehives.

Extra Utilities 2 trash can, exporter on your refined storage with an item filter set to just wax. Put one on and let it go for a while, better to purge 250,000 items now and restock manually. Unless you want to give the bee hives their own 512k storage disk :classiclol:

That's pretty drat impressive, gotta say

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Export to a dispenser spitting into lava and let it run forever as a monument to your bees.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Day 3 update, I am now making wrought iron, about to start getting into steel and my first steam stuff. Or at least I would be if the only iron vein I've found so far didn't suck. :argh:

Otherwise the main annoyance is how much charcoal I need. I've deforested a 6x6 chunk area around my home and my need is only ramping up.

Edit: the process of making wrought iron is:

First collect 24 pieces of raw iron ore, ie limonite and magnetite. Normal versions of these have 25 units of iron, so 4 ore equate to 1 ingot. You will then need 8 charcoal to place at the bottom of the bloomery, plus 24 to go in with the raw ore. Dump the ore and charcoal into the top of the bloomery and then wait a while for it to cook.

Once done, break the raw iron bloom chunk out, take it to your forge and heat that up enough to bring the chunk to orange, which will take several charcoal. Once it's workable, bring it to your anvil and beat it to a refined raw iron chunk, then beat it again to break it into 100-unit pieces. These then go into your crucible, which must be kept hot enough to melt them into liquid, and then pour them into ingot molds and wait for them to cool. This nets 6 ingots.

Funnily enough steel is much easier. Just dump the ore and charcoal into a blast furnace, it turns straight into liquid to become ingots, then you beat the high-carbon ingots into steel.

I also need loads of charcoal to make plates because plates are made by welding two ingots together and then hammering them, which means I need to keep heating the forge up.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 17, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Day 3 update, I am now making wrought iron, about to start getting into steel and my first steam stuff. Or at least I would be if the only iron vein I've found so far didn't suck. :argh:

Otherwise the main annoyance is how much charcoal I need. I've deforested a 6x6 chunk area around my home and my need is only ramping up.

Craft a rainforest oak sapling. You only need to craft one. They grow enormous 2x2 trunk trees with no branches, making them perfect for the lumber axe you're about to unlock. Lots of apples too.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I think making circuits is my least favorite thing to do now in this game. At least making these lv integrated ones and then turn those into the second tier of MV circuits which turn into HV circuits. I will however have about 32 HV circuits when done and could have another 32 but I still have more redundant MV machines to build to help with starting my journey into HV and finishing out MV. Not to mention I'll probably be on MV power for a while into HV,

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Craft a rainforest oak sapling. You only need to craft one. They grow enormous 2x2 trunk trees with no branches, making them perfect for the lumber axe you're about to unlock. Lots of apples too.

Is there an equivalent to this in nomifactory? Dark oaks looks similar, though they have lots of branches

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Umbreon posted:

Is there an equivalent to this in nomifactory? Dark oaks looks similar, though they have lots of branches

Probably not, since the rainforest oak is a GT++ thing in GTNH. Try vanilla 2x2 spruces? They are smaller, but are also branchless trees.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

quote from single rainforest oak felled:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay I overestimated when I said I was about to start on steam :lol:. I do have my first railcraft water tank though, so that's nice. And an actual bucket! ...still no bed though, i need to go on a Journey to find a sheep.

This is a pretty interesting pack so far though. It's not nearly as grand an experience as GTNH but it's been compelling so far, in that 'I feel oddly proud of the fact that I have a house because of all the things I went through to get actual planks of wood' kind of sense. That said I've only touched the edge of Gregtech, so...

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 17, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Should I add more LV distilleries or upgrade the distillery to MV for my diesel production loop? Light fuel takes forever. Also I have been using some of the heavy fuel that sits waiting to make plastic, is that bad or should I be using light fuel? I turn it into severely steam cracked heavy fuel then the rest of the chain to polyethylene.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Ethylene is much more efficiently made from the lighter oil products like refinery gas or naphta, the yield from heavy fuel is going to be minuscule.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My current setup is two MV Distilleries each making Light Fuel from regular Oil because it was easier to wire the whole diesel chain to use MV voltage, and they're still my most prevalent bottleneck when it comes to the moving parts of diesel production. Upgrade to MV and consider having two or three processing light fuel. Heavy is way faster to make by comparison.

If you use light fuel for ethylene you'll probably want a dedicated distillery sitting somewhere. The chain is 5000 Light Fuel + 5000 Steam -> 4000 Severely Steam Cracked LF, then 1000 SSC LF distills to 250 Ethylene. Basically, 5000 LF + 5000 Steam = 1000 Ethylene when the chain is done. I did this because I don't have a setup for refinery gas or naphtha right now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you're running three light fuel distilleries to two heavy, there shouldn't be a heavy fuel backlog.

but yeah if you want Maximum Efficiency, you severely steam-crack some light oil product like refinery gas (the quest book recommends that route). but if you've got a surplus of heavy fuel on hand, use it rather than hoard it imo. your resource gathering capabilities will only increase over time

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Heavy fuel is the single worst way to make ethylene, but it's also the single most available type of oil fraction since it comes in convenient chunk-sized oilsands form. Make of that what you will.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Use a GT distributor for even ratio distribution. GT item pipes will always insert into the closest inventory first (and in that case, it's probably whatever order the machines get inserted into the list of valid destinations.) Ender IO conduit round robin is awful.

I tried doing this and couldn't figure it out. I had pipes coming out of it going into each of the two tanks and power was going to it and it was set to receive cells from the super tank.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

I tried doing this and couldn't figure it out. I had pipes coming out of it going into each of the two tanks and power was going to it and it was set to receive cells from the super tank.

You don't need to power the distributors. Like all GT filter blocks, that is just an optional power pass feature that you can ignore. You also need to configure each side with a screwdriver to set how many items goes to each side. It's kind of annoying to set up because it doesn't support the sides-wireframe thing that covers and whatnot do.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Making copper wires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Made it to HV (made a hull). Looking it over and reading some of the quests... this is going to be complicated to say the least but fun. Got over 1,000 stainless steel to start but I feel like I'll need a lot more.