Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol the face ganon makes in memory 09 made me laugh and i think not in the way nintendo intended!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

The zombie grandpa defender has logged on

yeah he rules

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I dont think a lot of people realize this, but Tears of the Kingdom is extremely loving good. It's a 10/10 game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Inzombiac posted:

help i cant stop thinking about and playing tears of the kingdom plz help

I wanna play it so bad but I'm stuck at work for another three hours and being an adult sucks and I hate it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Been staying up til 4am every day playing

I can't stop hiking

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Bumhead posted:

I dunno guys that seems pretty good

Nah they're doomed.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Goddamit, video games just fuckin' rule. :kiddo:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I switched to Japanese VA as soon as I could and I think the story and performances are pretty good

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yunobo’s JP VA is even squeakier, that’s just how he’s characterized

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

hatty posted:

I switched to Japanese VA as soon as I could and I think the story and performances are pretty good

It feels unusual to not play these Zeldas in Italian and I have no idea why.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Dip Viscous posted:

So long, Gan-nondorf!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dip Viscous posted:

thank you for your part in promoting representation and diversity

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
He discovered the abandoned zonai mines is what he did. He was a brave yiga explorer. And in this house, Master Kohga is a hero. end of story.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I dont think a lot of people realize this, but Tears of the Kingdom is extremely loving good. It's a 10/10 game.

Gonna get a lot of gripes for this, but please take it for what it is:

To me, Tears of the kingdom (at this point in my game playing session) is almost as good as Elden Ring.

A game on hardware that is 2 generations old is compared positively to a game that needs a 3080 to run properly.

The sense of scale is off the charts and the gameplay is 90% tight (controls are starting to get Monster Hunter levels of hot keys). The only thing that holds it back for me is the frame rate and resolution (but again, hardware that is 2 generations old).

This is an incredibly polished game that demonstrates the talent at Nintendo.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
As far as scope yeah my mind can't comprehend how they managed to make such a massive game with a giant rear end overworld on a tiny underpowered tablet

Diving from a sky island down into the depths is surreal

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Giant rear end overworlds are easy, look at Gravity Rush. Filling them with things to do is much harder.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

To me, Tears of the kingdom (at this point in my game playing session) is almost as good as Elden Ring.

A game on hardware that is 2 generations old is compared positively to a game that needs a 3080 to run properly.

The sense of scale is off the charts and the gameplay is 90% tight (controls are starting to get Monster Hunter levels of hot keys). The only thing that holds it back for me is the frame rate and resolution (but again, hardware that is 2 generations old).

Oh also a detailed physics simulation running on a saltine cracker of a CPU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nintendo... not lazy devs

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

Giant rear end overworlds are easy, look at Gravity Rush. Filling them with things to do is much harder.

This is where I give Elden Ring the edge for now. I don’t feel Tears has as many set pieces. But the set pieces it does have are fantastic.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I did find that the game really doesn’t like it if you start going down a chasm but then double back. I had the updraft from a dragon send me back out the mouth of a chasm and the game hung for a good 10 seconds to load

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

That's right, console upgrades are unnecessary and are just used to force you to spend money. Nintendo will prove this by never releasing a Switch 2, praise be

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

That's right, console upgrades are unnecessary and are just used to force you to spend money. Nintendo will prove this by never releasing a Switch 2, praise be

Praise be

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Instead of disguising loading screens as tiny crawlspaces for Link to slowly squeeze through, Nintendo designed them as giant holes in the ground. A bold powermove.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it reallyc an't be overstated how much i hate open world games, they're all so fuckin boring, botw very much included. and yet i beat totk, saw credits roll, something no other open world game has ever remotely managed for me. it's just Fun.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wtf, Ganondorf rules. Way cooler than botw Ganon

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My daughter is going to college in a few months, which means I will never get to play Tears of the Kingdom unless I buy a second switch.

Everybody assures me that yes, this actually is worth $300+. Having played through BOTW, I believe them.

Is there any way I can do this that doesn't involve re-purchasing our entire library of games? $300, okay. $360, okay, I guess. $600+ to get all my games back, no way.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

make your daughter buy her own drat games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Reminds me of when I let my sister take my N64 and all its games to college and she sold it all for weed money

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

hatty posted:

Reminds me of when I let my sister take my N64 and all its games to college and she sold it all for weed money

Holy crap, I was just asking for advice about buying a second switch, I wasn't expecting literal horror stories.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's beginning to look like this new Zelda DLC is at least worth a few bucks to Nintendo!!!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

cruft posted:

My daughter is going to college in a few months, which means I will never get to play Tears of the Kingdom unless I buy a second switch.

Everybody assures me that yes, this actually is worth $300+. Having played through BOTW, I believe them.

Is there any way I can do this that doesn't involve re-purchasing our entire library of games? $300, okay. $360, okay, I guess. $600+ to get all my games back, no way.

Get her a Switch Lite and keep the collection for yourself.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

Your sister is incredibly awful, but also very chill?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

FlapYoJacks posted:

Your sister is incredibly awful, but also very chill?

n64 has the worst controller ever, his sister got a banger of a deal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it turns out the real problem with most open world games, is being made by French Canadians

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

hatty posted:

a good exchange, imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

a game that needs a 3080 to run properly.

:dafuq:

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
My brain keeps expecting the notes of the depths ambient music to resolve into the Wallace and Gromit theme song.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

TotK is better than Elden Ring. Sorry goons!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

MrQueasy posted:

My brain keeps expecting the notes of the depths ambient music to resolve into the Wallace and Gromit theme song.

There's a game, Song of the Evertree, with a bit in some of the background music that almost reminds me of an altered Tubular Bells/Exorcist theme, and I think some ominous poo poo is gonna go down every time it happens. :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHZ3hyHDuc&t=56s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

TotK is better than Elden Ring. Sorry goons!

Truthfully the moment to moment is probably funner in ToTK. Love both games but elden ring burns you out with its endless combat and not much else. For this type of game I much prefer a linear or semi linear structure, honestly never felt like any dark souls games were small or limited in their worlds in any significant way, those games are huge as is

With totk even just crawling around rocks and hills is really chill and fun, course there's a million other things to do too

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 17, 2023