Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One cool debugger trick is setting logpoints. It's just like printf debugging, but you don't need to recompile anything to change the information you're dumping!

And then once you've noticed a pattern you can turn them into conditional breakpoints, where you only step into the debugger once you hit an iteration that's actually in the anomalous state you want to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Jabor posted:

One cool debugger trick is setting logpoints. It's just like printf debugging, but you don't need to recompile anything to change the information you're dumping!

And then once you've noticed a pattern you can turn them into conditional breakpoints, where you only step into the debugger once you hit an iteration that's actually in the anomalous state you want to investigate.

For most things I just jump straight to conditional breaks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hello, yes, I rarely use debuggers. Not that I can't, but my experience with trying to use them for every problem is that I spend a lot of time diving through hierarchies of containers, and manually taking notes. The console provides a useful history that makes it easy to compare iterations -- often the bugs I'm dealing with are things like "sometimes when I call this function, it explodes, but usually it's fine". So I need to do a comparative analysis to find the differences between the working and non-working calls. Gathering large amounts of data in the debugger is tedious -- probably there's some way to make it less so, but it's still going to require me to set up the stuff I want to watch, then run the program, which is basically similar to print statements, so what have I really gained?

Debuggers, for me, shine when the amount of state I need to review is limited and easy to display.

I'm not saying there's no situation where a debugger doesn't make sense, and certainly sometimes it's hard to get setup (remote debugging can be complex in certain business situations/etc) but more that it's a very powerful tool. Nothing wrong with a simple print if that's all you need, or especially if you're just like 'what's in this goddamn dictionary' or need to parse things over time. But often a debugger has *really* helped me, especially on the last service I was working on, which had a long startup time and did a bunch of data collection before dumping into the interesting part; the guy I was learning from at the time just did print statements, but I was able to just dump into a debug session and then iterate through the data much quicker.

Logpoints sound rad for a lot of stuff though, so I might check that out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'll certainly admit that my relatively low usage of debuggers has left me ignorant of a lot of advances they've presumably made in the past ~15 years.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just write in lisp so that nothing is not in a debugger, aka the repl

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not sure if this is the best place, but it's time for me to look for something new. The current job is just starting to wear on me. I put up my resume here. I have the feeling it's too wordy, but it covers 23 years and a whole range of stuff.

I feel like I've had a good career and good experience, but its been long stints at small companies that ultimately don't go huge, so I worry that ends up looking bad. I think I should get some demo code up, but that also feels like a lot of work that may not be necessary.

Any advice is appreciated.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Not sure if this is the best place, but it's time for me to look for something new. The current job is just starting to wear on me. I put up my resume here. I have the feeling it's too wordy, but it covers 23 years and a whole range of stuff.

I feel like I've had a good career and good experience, but its been long stints at small companies that ultimately don't go huge, so I worry that ends up looking bad. I think I should get some demo code up, but that also feels like a lot of work that may not be necessary.

I would make two resumes - one targeted towards engineering roles, and one targeted towards project management. The experience itself is great and you could do either, but the people hiring for engineering roles are going to wonder about the project manager stuff and the people hiring for a project manager position are going to wonder about all the engineering.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I would make two resumes - one targeted towards engineering roles, and one targeted towards project management. The experience itself is great and you could do either, but the people hiring for engineering roles are going to wonder about the project manager stuff and the people hiring for a project manager position are going to wonder about all the engineering.

Thanks, that's a good idea.
I've always been curious, if I apply to 2 positions at a larger company, would it confuse them to have both resumes on file, or are they silo'd?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Thanks, that's a good idea.
I've always been curious, if I apply to 2 positions at a larger company, would it confuse them to have both resumes on file, or are they silo'd?
I would assume that they are not siloed and will know if the same applicant applied for multiple roles, and that they will also know if you have applied in the past as well. Whether or not they find the different resumes confusing depends on the company, but I would lean against doing it just for the sake of appearing focused (e.g. it's probably ok to apply to two different engineering roles at the same company at the same time, but I wouldn't apply PMO and engineering at the same company)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I would assume that they are not siloed and will know if the same applicant applied for multiple roles, and that they will also know if you have applied in the past as well. Whether or not they find the different resumes confusing depends on the company, but I would lean against doing it just for the sake of appearing focused (e.g. it's probably ok to apply to two different engineering roles at the same company at the same time, but I wouldn't apply PMO and engineering at the same company)

Thanks, that's what I've always assumed too.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

wins32767 posted:

This probably wasn't anything you said to the CTO. I'd bet that they pushed you up to the CTO for hiring approval, he saw something in your resume that didn't align with what he was looking for in the role and your in person with him didn't clear that block (very possibly because he wanted someone with 10 years in X that you don't have).

Yeah, could be that. And in-law wound up working there a few years later. I was trying to get him to go digging for the why, but he wouldn't.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

You don't have PMs and not sure exactly what you are looking for but the company I work for has a number of open reqs that match up with your skill set -https://qsccareers-qsc.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchCategory=74887. Along with what's listed here we also do work in FreeRTOS. Don't get too hung up on the specifics of the postings - we are pretty good at making things work if both sides want it to. Let me know if you want any more information.

fankey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 17, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thanks, I'll check it out

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Has anyone here been in a IC dev role and reported to a non-technical supervisor? I feel it could go either way-- either you get full autonomy to do whatever you want as long as you are producing because your supervisor doesn't understand what you're doing, or what you are accomplishing isn't recognized because your supervisor doesn't understand what you're doing.

Any other outcomes? What kind of questions can I ask in an interview to suss out which way it might turn out?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mantle posted:

Has anyone here been in a IC dev role and reported to a non-technical supervisor? I feel it could go either way-- either you get full autonomy to do whatever you want as long as you are producing because your supervisor doesn't understand what you're doing, or what you are accomplishing isn't recognized because your supervisor doesn't understand what you're doing.

Any other outcomes? What kind of questions can I ask in an interview to suss out which way it might turn out?

Yes, early on. You have to be really good at explaining things in plain English and being able to justify why something is difficult or a flat out bad idea.

Get ready for endless battles over conceptually simple isn't the same thing as practically simple.

Also be prepared to be pushed to "get it done fast" at the expense of testing, maintainability, or basic devops practices.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mantle posted:

These situations can work out well if the interface is essentially based around the UI, eg they say "I want a button that does X". The place I've seen this part get into trouble is if the non-technical side falls in love with a technology and pushes to, say, switch the UI framework when it is something really built into the system.

2 big risks: If you're the expert in what you do, you need to push yourself to stay up on developments in the field. And at some point the trust may falter, you'll say something is hard, they'll think it should be easy, and there's no real way to sort that out between just the two of you. These risks disappear if you're in a bigger company with other folks who can help cover your knowledge. A consultant may help here too.

Another trick for your side, which is good in general, will be to provide numbers/time estimates/risk estimates instead of saying an idea or feature is "hard". Hard is relative and you're coming from different places.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

StumblyWumbly posted:

These situations can work out well if the interface is essentially based around the UI, eg they say "I want a button that does X". The place I've seen this part get into trouble is if the non-technical side falls in love with a technology and pushes to, say, switch the UI framework when it is something really built into the system.

2 big risks: If you're the expert in what you do, you need to push yourself to stay up on developments in the field. And at some point the trust may falter, you'll say something is hard, they'll think it should be easy, and there's no real way to sort that out between just the two of you. These risks disappear if you're in a bigger company with other folks who can help cover your knowledge. A consultant may help here too.

Another trick for your side, which is good in general, will be to provide numbers/time estimates/risk estimates instead of saying an idea or feature is "hard". Hard is relative and you're coming from different places.

Best manager i ever had was non-technical and extremely product focused. He also got me into the habit of breaking down where and why things are difficult. Any time it was because I didn't know how to do something he just scheduled a block of time for me with a principal engineer; either we figured out very quickly how to get over the issue or found alternatives to bring back.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

I worked for the better part of a decade at a research laboratory in a university, for a boss who was very technically-inclined but in a different field. His last experience with serious computer work was on big-iron (VAX, I think) mainframes in the 80's. We butted heads from time to time, until he finally became convinced that I knew what I was doing, at which point we had a pretty amicable relationship. But yeah, there was a lot of me explaining how modern software development practices worked, and what was and was not feasible for me to accomplish.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When I’ve reported (directly or indirectly) to non-technical people I’ve had good experiences sending them the old Makers Schedule Managers Schedule essay. It sets a tone for what I need from them, and teaching them how to manage you is part of the work.

http://www.paulgraham.com/makersschedule.html

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Some of the most frustrating experiences I've had with managers and higher involved trying to dig into details during 1:1s and solve technical problems without having any context for them. Of course, I had plenty of managers that filled 1:1s with other pointless bullshit but the technical people were more frustrating because they clearly had the ability to do management stuff well but couldn't focus on it for long enough.

In short, management is a land of contrasts.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one thing i really like about my org/team at google is the clear distinction between tech leads and managers. not everyone gets that these days (my tech lead is also _a_ manager, but he is not _my_ manager), and i can think of at least one other TLM, but I really like that the person I go to to talk about my project work is totally different from the person I talk to to complain about pay or HR type stuff

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, as a TL I'm really glad I get to focus on the cool tech and on planning and code review, and someone else deals with the Manager Things.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 17, 2023

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We have that distinction too although some leads do have reports.

Lead/manager is this fuzzy area where you determine whether you want to move to staff+ or management. It’s not uncommon for folks to try out management and decide they’d rather be on the IC track.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
^^^ I'm about to move into my 3rd EM role, and I'm still not 100% certain that I want to stay on the management ride. I do want to get into Sr EM land (eg managing managers) before I decide to pivot back or not.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Some of the most frustrating experiences I've had with managers and higher involved trying to dig into details during 1:1s and solve technical problems without having any context for them. Of course, I had plenty of managers that filled 1:1s with other pointless bullshit but the technical people were more frustrating because they clearly had the ability to do management stuff well but couldn't focus on it for long enough.

In short, management is a land of contrasts.

As a manager who is on the technical side, I usually take the plan for our 1:1 from my reports. Some have wanted to use it to do pairing, others wanted to use it as a deeper status update and to warn me about things they see as upcoming problems in the codebase, while others actually want to dig in on career growth and trajectory, and I've had a few that would rather just tell me, "nah, I don't have any problems this week," and bounce after 5 minutes.

I do really enjoy the ones where we talk about anime, board games, or something else nerdy.

Anyway, it's a mixed bag. Being from a technical background, I feel like I try to be more hands off in the codebase, especially early on, because I don't want the team to see me as the codeowner. So I prefer to bring in another dev to chat through a problem rather than work it out with them myself. That changes once I know the team and the team knows that I know that they have the autonomy and ability to complete their stuff without me. Then I can leverage for speed, quality, and cost.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm 43 and pretty sick of software, so I'm trying to slide over into electronic design, which I've been doing for a long time as a hobby. Lately I've been saying I want to be a "full stack developer", i.e. circuit design through firmware, heh.

My electronic projects have been getting more advanced. I had a contract manufacturer build and test those boards, because the idea of outsourcing my own hobby project is hilarious.

Has anyone here gone SW -> HW? It can't be that uncommon (I hope).

I don't know that I even have any specific questions. I kinda know what I need to do, and I have someone on the inside to pitch me as non-traditional candidate. I don't have an EE degree, but I didn't have a CS degree, either.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Change my mind: sprints and sprint boards are a physical form of one of those sim resource management videogames.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Any time some dumb board or chart comes out during a meeting, I always want to unmute and go, "Do you need the rest of us here for this?" but instead I just keep working on whatever thing I was doing before the meeting started.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

oliveoil posted:

Change my mind: sprints and sprint boards are a physical form of one of those sim resource management videogames.

Those games are actually fun and functional

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

CPColin posted:

Any time some dumb board or chart comes out during a meeting, I always want to unmute and go, "Do you need the rest of us here for this?" but instead I just keep working on whatever thing I was doing before the meeting started.

See what happens if you suddenly "are needed elsewhere" once the screen share fires up. Life's too short to "attend" meetings like that.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyre expressions of power and dominance

sim games are jiggered to make you feel that, yes

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe I should unmute and pipe in the Village music from SimCity (SNES)?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I started just dropping out of meetings I don’t need to be in without even saying anything and no one has stopped me yet, and it’s been more than a year. Interrupting the entmoot to announce my departure is too much of a hurdle and I despise zoom chat. Just close the client

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ugh yeah the little pop-up with "double-booked, gotta run!" from somebody who said nothing all meeting is stupid

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

biceps crimes posted:

I started just dropping out of meetings I don’t need to be in without even saying anything and no one has stopped me yet, and it’s been more than a year. Interrupting the entmoot to announce my departure is too much of a hurdle and I despise zoom chat. Just close the client

i haven't attended a regularly scheduled meeting (like a scrum meeting, etc) since early 2021 and they're still paying me.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ryanrs posted:

Has anyone here gone SW -> HW? It can't be that uncommon (I hope).

I did. I was at a very small company and found myself needing to fill some shoes and do both software and hardware. So I went back to school for a couple years of EE. I didnt graduate a second time but the classes were worth it for better understanding of the fundamentals, personally. But, a huge amount of practical learning was from reading things like white papers on layout, getting advice from veteran EE friends, and just doing it and loving up a few times.

I got my current genuine EE titled job thanks to networking and a recommendation from a EE friend, so I'm not sure how much the classes actually helped with getting the job. It's on my resume but no one asked about it during the interview.

The "cool" part is, the EEs at this company mostly just do embedded software. I do approximately 1 week of real EE stuff per year. There is just so much more firmware work that needs to get done for any of our projects. I suspect that is true in a lot of companies these days.

Ive seen your projects, imo they are good enough to get you a job if you can get past initial screening that might be filtering out those without a degree.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

online video interview software hierarchy

1) google meet
2) zoom (barely ahead of #3)
3) i'd rather die than install and use your lovely software

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'm not looking up which iteration of which Google chat product is currently called Meet and you can't make me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the version we used just now was Google Meet Duo Allo Chat Hangout+ Enterprise (free trial) edition

Got off the phone with their HR person just now he said that they mostly have level 7 and doesn't think a level 5 engineer makes as much as 200k in the bay area. I'm not sure if he's done and "salary modeling" for an engineer before. Imagine their shock when I turn down their offer of $145. I'm about to email them and kill the process right now but I need the interview experience

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Just chiming in to say I loving hate webex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

John DiFool posted:

Just chiming in to say I loving hate webex

so say we all