Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

evobatman posted:

Talk to a lawyer?

The company is cutting departments to stay afloat and now has the operations director doubling up and doing my work. That place is either going to sell or liquidate within 6 months so I'd rather just let them finish their drain circling. At least I was able to make it out with severance.

I had to return my equipment yesterday to the office, directly to the owner. I was there at the same time as the other employee they laid off and we got to talking since he had other insights into the situation. The owner also pulled me to the side to talk, so I've got a clearer picture of what happened.

I can't go into specifics but he essentially had to free up an amount of money to stay operational and it was either let a highly ranked and paid employee go or let two lower ranked non-essential employees go. He chose the latter.

I still think it was a reeeeaaally bad call to let me go rather than, say, one of the extra service desk members, but I'm also glad I was able to take that hit instead of new parents or people who just bought houses. Plus this is sort of a weight off my shoulders. I'd have never had the nerve to quit so the decision was made for me.

He set me up with their recruiter, gave me severance, and gave me a letter of recommendation. I have a meeting with the recruiter later today and I'm approved for unemployment.

I'm laying low this week and playing video games and trying to process my rejection dysphoria. I'll hit the grindstone next week.

Bigger and better things are coming :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sounds like it was for the better it went down this way honestly.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Renegret posted:

This, tbh.

Still lovely, but it sounds like there's a way forward.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's happened to me before, fairly recently. Company was imploding rapidly and of a backend team of over 20 when I joined, I was the only senior one left by the time they did the final cull. I was the only one left who had any historical knowledge of how anything worked. But the two just-joined junior devs under me, they survived. So it was all about how much person X costs, evidently.

Glad to hear you got the additional context that ought to help put your mind more at ease.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Renegret posted:

yeah sometimes it be that way

my last job laid me off (this was retributive actually for having been too close to someone my boss hated) but i hated my job so much and had been looking and they ended up paying out a bunch of severance including the accidentally doubled PTO that i'd pointed out to HR the instant it hit but they never removed from me so i just took it and left lol

it immediately made me so much happier and more relaxed that i aced the next interview i had and ended up getting a job that pays more, has better benefits, and i (although i bitch about some problems we have) actually kinda like all before i got more than one unemployment check lmao

and as far as circling the drain, it was bad enough that one of my tasks had been to redo all of the sales reporting to compare only to budget and not yoy so there wasn't such an obvious reminder of how they were consistently making less money every year

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 2, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

There are problems everywhere, though. It's more interesting how they are handled by management.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the only problem that really gets me is that we failed to upgrade something in time and it makes more work for me, but that happened because we spent too long trying to do it in a perfect way and turned out to be getting a runaround from the other company we were talking to so now it's overdue and we're doing it in an okay way with a company who is actually doing it

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sounds like they got tired of you making everyone else look bad.

Couldn't have said it better.

For real though, never fun news to get. I have faith it wont take too long to get back into it. Clearly this was for the better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Recently my outlook spam filter has seemingly poo poo the bed and when I go into the settings I can't seem to find a way to make the filter more intense. My only options are to add emails to the blocked senders and domain list, which is a hassle because I'm normally just going to delete any spam that gets into my inbox anyways. I just want to limit how much gets in but I have to add each domain manually? Not like the people sending spam don't have a thousand other domains to fall back on.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

A ticket just came in: make the filter more intense

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arc Hammer posted:

Recently my outlook spam filter has seemingly poo poo the bed and when I go into the settings I can't seem to find a way to make the filter more intense. My only options are to add emails to the blocked senders and domain list, which is a hassle because I'm normally just going to delete any spam that gets into my inbox anyways. I just want to limit how much gets in but I have to add each domain manually? Not like the people sending spam don't have a thousand other domains to fall back on.

Are you a user or an exchange admin? If you're on exchange, there's no per user spam filter.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

You could potentially set up rules for common buzz words or something, but yeah Outlook-level spam filtering sucks.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I have a rule where every email with "Unsubscribe" in the body goes into a Possible Spam folder and additional rules pull stuff out of there I want to keep into separate folders. Works okay.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love when someone sends me a list of ambiguously worded extension move requests and I email back “hey, when you say ‘x to y’ do you mean ‘change the one that is currently showing X to make it Y’, or ‘put X onto the one currently showing Y’?” and they reply “yes”

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's your fault for giving them a Boolean OR to answer. Phrase it as "of the following options please indicate the correct choice" to deal with smartarses like me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Arquinsiel posted:

That's your fault for giving them a Boolean OR to answer. Phrase it as "of the following options please indicate the correct choice" to deal with smartarses like me.

Edit: "yes, do that one" would be more infuriating.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 17, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

if answer=true

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Edit: "yes, do that one" would be more infuriating.
I see "one" so I'm doing the interpretation labled "1:".

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I have a ticket here from an honest to god Sovereign Citizen

I'm going to enjoy telling this guy to gently caress off in a half dozen different ways.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

don't get shot

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm sorry sir but this is an admiralty git repo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Renegret posted:

I have a ticket here from an honest to god Sovereign Citizen

I'm going to enjoy telling this guy to gently caress off in a half dozen different ways.

My sovcit (and Nazi) coworker got fired and then proceeded to sue everyone up the chain from my boss to governor, wrote some insane multi-page manifestos, claimed a 9mi square area as his own country called New Israel and declared himself to be the King of Israel, moved to Texas, got super into tarot card readings and numerology (???), bought a bunch of guns, then posted on Twitter that he was heading back to the state to kill Jewish governmental officials. Then proceeded to head back to the state with all his guns.

Anyway the feds have him now and he was denied bail!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like a story with a feel good ending.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd think that posting about how you were heading off to a place to kill people and then going there with your guns would result in a charge sticking but these are fun times

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sirotan posted:

My sovcit (and Nazi) coworker got fired and then proceeded to sue everyone up the chain from my boss to governor, wrote some insane multi-page manifestos, claimed a 9mi square area as his own country called New Israel and declared himself to be the King of Israel, moved to Texas, got super into tarot card readings and numerology (???), bought a bunch of guns, then posted on Twitter that he was heading back to the state to kill Jewish governmental officials. Then proceeded to head back to the state with all his guns.

yeah okay my crazy dude doesn't even get close to this

what the hell why do you have the most insane stories

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

You'd think that posting about how you were heading off to a place to kill people and then going there with your guns would result in a charge sticking but these are fun times

Oh he's been charged. Interstate transmission of a threat with hate crime enhancement. I think it's 5yrs max. My boss got briefed by the FBI about this since I guess he was on the guy's hit list. It is, frankly, kinda scary! I am following his case with great interest and hope if/when he gets out he will have forgotten all about me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm :yotj:'ing from a big fintech soon and

:lol: June 8 can't come soon enough. 87 and counting

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Data Graham posted:

...sent from my BlackBerry?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Who exactly is using the blackberry in 2023?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Renegret posted:

what the hell why do you have the most insane stories

Just #blessed I guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the plus side I get to hear from EVERY SINGLE PERSON where they are based and who has an illicit WFH exemption that they are proudly talking about as a way to inform everyone that they are not based in Chicago

"Everyone, please do not Reply All" *hits Reply All*

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It’s very helpful that people still using BlackBerry devices have that signature as it means you can ignore them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Xerol posted:

Who exactly is using the blackberry in 2023?

It says right there, ______________________________

200 and counting, not slowing down. So many "me too"s I feel like I'm right back in AOL-influx Usenet

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I used to get a lot of pleasure in people melting down about these kinda emails. 1, who the gently caress reads emails. 2, just delete it or ignore it and move on

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Data Graham posted:

It says right there, ______________________________

200 and counting, not slowing down. So many "me too"s I feel like I'm right back in AOL-influx Usenet
Reply with "TL;DR". You know you want to. You'll be out of there in a month. Do it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was going to say: "I disagree, I think we should all reply more"

At least some people are having fun, like "only if you're delivering food to Delaware" and "Will there be a keto option??"

(that one was in earnest though lol)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sirotan posted:

My sovcit (and Nazi) coworker

:stare: what the gently caress

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Sirotan posted:

Just #blessed I guess

What the gently caress is up with people in our state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

related, when I did consulting, this gem of a human was a client of mine:

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-justice/2016/06/15/former-fairbanks-chiropractor-sentenced-in-murder-for-hire-plot/