Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

mycomancy posted:

The answer I was looking for, thanks!

rotating machinery of this size has very high noise levels and is much much louder than an car combustion engine. But the motive force isn’t ff explosions. its steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the main feed pumps are generally going to be the loudest thing in a steam plant.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

rotating machinery of this size has very high noise levels and is much much louder than an car combustion engine. But the motive force isn’t ff explosions. its steam.

very high noise levels?? i don't get it, why don't they just design it to be silent? they're so stupid!!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
*moves all funding from a perfectly functional and feasible solution to a totally silent but also totally vaporware solution*

help me my navy sucks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cali_keftiu/status/1656039214499377152?t=acI69MZ57cR1D3sm2079kg&s=19

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Delta-Wye posted:

*moves all funding from a perfectly functional and feasible solution to a totally silent but also totally vaporware solution*

help me my navy sucks

The plant noise is a solved problem, fwiw.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is magical someone needs to do an LP

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

the circle trigonists walk amongst us :tinfoil:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Wow the army wrote the craizest alt setting for Twilight 2000 40 years before the game was written

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Usually, the issue with nuclear submarines are going to be the coolant pumps to keep the reactor in check.

That said, diesel-electric subs are nearly completely silent if their purely electrical drive is working. If anything that is why they are still around (along with AIP systems) as even much older subs can launch ambushes that are quite tricky to deal with even for modern navies.

Myanmar (for a random example) has an old Kilo and a slightly newer Ming class sub, not exactly impressive at a glance, but they could still be an issue for a battle group that pushes into their waters. Subs can be deadly if used defensively.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:25 on May 10, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Ok hear me out. What about a combustion engine that runs on propellant that drives a generator that fires a rail gun?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Weka posted:

Ok hear me out. What about a combustion engine that runs on propellant that drives a generator that fires a rail gun?

Someone give this man a job at GD.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

The pumps on nuclear submarines are the reason they can’t run silent iirc

You can actually be extremely quiet for short bursts of time by literally shutting drat near everything down.

Still even with pumps cycling and water moving, toilets and dropped wrenches are still the loudest sounds that usually get sent out.

Modern diesel boats can even charge their batteries without snorkeling, and are far more maneuverable, but that might not matter if navies never use fast attack subs to target other fast attack subs.

Turtle Sandbox has issued a correction as of 15:39 on May 10, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

Some of the Honda hybrid cars use a gas engine to generate electricity to power an electric motor for efficiency and noise reason. Also Honda just suck at EV.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

You can actually be extremely quiet for short bursts of time by literally shutting drat near everything down.

Still even with pumps cycling and water moving, toilets and dropped wrenches are still the loudest sounds that usually get sent out.

Modern diesel boats can even charge their batteries without snorkeling, and are far more maneuverable, but that might not matter if navies never use fast attack subs to target other fast attack subs.

That's pretty cool.

Tbh, once submarines lost deck guns, they've been beyond my ken.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some of the Honda hybrid cars use a gas engine to generate electricity to power an electric motor for efficiency and noise reason. Also Honda just suck at EV.

That's the Chevy Volt as well, but everyone who has one of those swears by them instead of saying they suck. Series-hybrid is probably going the way of the dodo in cars but it definitely has its place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/violentlyepic/status/1655770655575674882

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gettem an account.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
well based in the budget, definitely going the WWIII at a distance approach. most of the big budget items are for subs and x-51 type deals and a total pause on anything amphibious. At least no one is spinning up for a peer to peer Normandy style invasion.

With those new Chinese shore batteries, this is gonna play out like a game of missile command.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

stephenthinkpad posted:

That sounds like how a diesel-electric locomotive works, which makes it cool by association

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

skooma512 posted:

That sounds like how a diesel-electric locomotive works, which makes it cool by association

it’s how all hybrids work +regenerative braking.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Weka posted:

Let's mount it on a Bradley.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

https://twitter.com/IanPriest13/status/1655837881133408256

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

I always get it backwards, but US Fleet Boats and German U-Boats worked differently. Don't quote me, but there's two ways of doing it. In one, the engines could be directly connected to the propellor, in the other they did not have a direct connection but provided power to the electric motor instead of the batteries.

I have a huge book on submarines I haven't had time to read, that gets into Italian and British designs as well, Submarines of World War Two: Design, Development and Operations by Bagnasco.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:02 on May 10, 2023

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT call the medic a twink to his face.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Where the design of US subs over time makes sense, and the U-Boats can be split into Type II, Type VII and Type IX, I have no idea what to make of this

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

I always get it backwards, but US Fleet Boats and German U-Boats worked differently. Don't quote me, but there's two ways of doing it. In one, the engines could be directly connected to the propellor, in the other they did not have a direct connection but provided power to the electric motor instead of the batteries.

I have a huge book on submarines I haven't had time to read, that gets into Italian and British designs as well, Submarines of World War Two: Design, Development and Operations by Bagnasco.

Unless I'm mistaken, we have always used the engine to charge batteries and used batteries for propulsion. Without batteries at all a sub would have to snorkel to move, that means they are close to the surface, have a snorkel sticking up out of the water, and have a loud diesel making noise.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it’s how all hybrids work +regenerative braking.

Most hybrid cars don't work like that actually. The gas engine or generator running solely to produce electricity that is then used by electric drive motors is called series-hybrid, the only cars that did it were the Volt, the I3, whatever Honda that guy was talking about, and some weird boutique car companies. That's also what trains use, and, more recently, sailboats are getting big into having one generator that powers electric motors that can be used for propulsion or energy recovery. Other cars are parallel-hybrid, the engine can charge the batteries or drive the wheels directly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, we have always used the engine to charge batteries and used batteries for propulsion. Without batteries at all a sub would have to snorkel to move, that means they are close to the surface, have a snorkel sticking up out of the water, and have a loud diesel making noise.

I think the Germans must have been the ones who connected them to the propellers, otherwise this wouldn't make sense (though I can't claim to understand it):

In 1940, a new variant of Type IX was designed, the D, which was larger and had considerably increased range and speed. The two boats which constituted Variant Dl, were modified during construction for use as refuelling boats. They lacked torpedo tubes, but carried 252 tons of fuel in addition to their own load of 203 tons. Daimler-Benz MB 501 fast diesel engines, of the type used in torpedo-boats, were installed in place of the lower rpm engines normally used in submarines. These engines (three on each shaft, for a total power rating of 9,000hp), though giving a maximum surface speed of about 20.8 knots, produced poor results in reliability and range. About a year after commissioning, they were replaced by normal submarine engines of lower power, with a notable lowering of top speed. The boats of Variants D2 and D-42 were equipped with conventional engines of higher power which could develop a speed of 19.2 knots. High speed was indispensable to operations in the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean, for which the boats had been designed.

The range of these boats reached record levels, largely because of the installation, alongside the two normal 2,200hp diesel engines, of two diesel dynamos of 5,500hp each, to be used as generators for the electric motors. They gave a maximum surface range of 31,500 miles at 10 knots, with a maximum fuel load of 441 tons. The first boat of Variant Dl to enter service was U 178 in February 1942: the first and only D-42, was U 883, completed on 27 March 1945. The contracts for 78 boats of the D-42 variant, which differed only in minor details from the preceding type, were cancelled in favour of the Type XXI Elektro-boote.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Where the design of US subs over time makes sense, and the U-Boats can be split into Type II, Type VII and Type IX, I have no idea what to make of this

the Brits and development of the double hull.

I think it’s concurrent with similar changes on the merchant vessel side they were pushing for decades.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I think the Germans must have been the ones who connected them to the propellers, otherwise this wouldn't make sense (though I can't claim to understand it):

there were reduction gear shortages. that drove a lot of the switch to direct drive slow speed Diesel engines on the merchant ship side, before fuel costs finally killed steam totally.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

On the nuclear subs today, America drives the propeller with steam while China uses the steam to generate electricity to do it.

skooma512 posted:

Diesel rules, petrol drools for anything bigger than a motorbike.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There was a new GAO report on the readiness of the US armed forces: https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...-may-2-2023.pdf

There isn't anything mind blowing in it if you follow the thread: the full combat readiness of the F-35B/C continues to be absolutely abysmal at 10-15% readiness with the F-35A is better at 50% (2021). There aren't enough shipyards, and the Navy is getting only 85% of its needed personnel which means 18% of naval officers get a full night sleep (seems to be an...issue). In addition, more and more ships are getting decommissioned early because there isn't shipyard space for them and the modernization program is far behind.

But otherwise, rail and sealift capabilities seem to be an issue for the army, which is going to limit its ability for quick development.

There is a bunch more in it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the swedes actually have a p cool setup for their subs using a stirling engine, they claim it's basically as silent as you can get

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Cerebral Bore posted:

the swedes actually have a p cool setup for their subs using a stirling engine, they claim it's basically as silent as you can get

almost every modern non nuclear sub is using a stirling engine, including the Chinese.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

There was a new GAO report on the readiness of the US armed forces: https://s3.documentcloud.org/docume...-may-2-2023.pdf

There isn't anything mind blowing in it if you follow the thread: the full combat readiness of the F-35B/C continues to be absolutely abysmal at 10-15% readiness with the F-35A is better at 50% (2021). There aren't enough shipyards, and the Navy is getting only 85% of its needed personnel which means 18% of naval officers get a full night sleep (seems to be an...issue). In addition, more and more ships are getting decommissioned early because there isn't shipyard space for them and the modernization program is far behind.

But otherwise, rail and sealift capabilities seem to be an issue for the army, which is going to limit its ability for quick development.

There is a bunch more in it.

stage 4 grifting has kicked in, it's terminal

e: where's the lockmart shareholder net worth bar on that chart though, biased reporting

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

"space readiness goals and threat standards unclear"

Is military code for

"We have no idea what we should be doing"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Pataramesh/status/1657349052294483970

declared statistics of the shahed-136

very far-reaching and nato's not known for its well equipped air defense

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
More air to air kills than the F-22. Looking forward to American aircraft dogfighting these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
2500km is longer reach than F35's range?