Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Watching a YouTube channel of golfers just one year in the game, and they play my local courses.

In addition to being atrocious at adding their scores, it took me a while to realize they take unlimited mulligans. And, man, I applaud these guys. They play at a decent pace, they're having a good time, and they aren't competing or carrying a handicap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mcqueen posted:

Did you end up getting a caddy?

We did not. Got paired up with two singles, it was a good time. I’m sure a caddy would have been amazing, with their course knowledge and guidance, but I’d still probably shoot a 107

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
My first experience with a caddy was kind of brutal. I played Sawgrass in 2010, and I knew the course from the Tiger Woods video games, so when he asked me what type of help I needed, I just told him to help me read the greens. I expected the greens to be very fast, but they were startlingly slow.

He gave me a line off the tee on hole 1, and by the end of the hole, he knew I could take care of myself after. Unfortunately the greens flummoxed me so badly, in the caddie's eyes, that he tried to give me a putting lesson on 8.

Playing the 1-ups, I shot 78 on the day, made a birdie on 9 and 17, finished with a double on 18. I think I only had two 3-putts, but I can't remember how many total putts I had.

I don't think I would have broken par even if I had made every putt I had inside 10 ft, but having to tell the guy to stop trying to teach me the left-hand low grip during the middle of a $280 round sucked.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 24, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I had a forecaddy and a caddy on a course in Faisalabad. I was leading a group of army guys, so I got special treatment. The other guys got the local pros as their caddies, I got the nephew of a higher up we were dealing with, with instructions to take care of me. He had never golfed, but he was very conciliatory.

The forecaddy was phenomenal.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Shot a career best 86 this weekend. You can still get better at golf when you are an old man in your mid fifties.

Only a couple of double bogeys and no Triples. Not a single 7 or 8 on the entire card.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

daslog posted:

Shot a career best 86 this weekend. You can still get better at golf when you are an old man in your mid fifties.

Only a couple of double bogeys and no Triples. Not a single 7 or 8 on the entire card.
:hf:
Personal best of 84 yesterday. Turns out the trick is to play tees long enough that I don’t hit anything shorter than 8 iron into greens. I should probably figure out why my short irons are so bad right now.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

torgeaux posted:

it took me a while to realize they take unlimited mulligans

So they aren't playing golf at all

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

So they aren't playing golf at all

No, they're not playing competitive golf. Seeing new golfers not getting frustrated, playing at a good pace? They're more likely to turn into what you deem golfers in a year or so than most.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Someone mentioned that idea for newer players of taking the ball out of serious trouble and dropping it in the fairway the same distance from the hole, and I've been thinking about recommending that to my friend who is new. I just want him to have fun

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Spitfires posted:

Someone mentioned that idea for newer players of taking the ball out of serious trouble and dropping it in the fairway the same distance from the hole, and I've been thinking about recommending that to my friend who is new. I just want him to have fun

Pace of play improves for everyone, and they won't get as frustrated at early failures.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
pace of play > *

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Spitfires posted:

The other thing I like to do is have 2 newer players play best ball against me. Makes it fun for everyone.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Spitfires posted:

Agreed, new folks shouldn't have to struggle more than the every swing struggle of being new.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1658178280573263873

oh that's loving hilarious

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: PGA Championship thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032049 :siren:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I’m fairly new (2 ish years of playing, still poo poo) but I like keeping score and not playing mulligans because I like to see how I’m improving. However if I lose a ball, I’m just playing a drop. I played at the tiny par 3 down the road on Sunday and started off great, and then when I came back around to play a second 9 I started hitting like poo poo and got really frustrated with it and wasn’t having fun anymore so I quit and went to gently caress around on the practice green for an hour instead and left feeling good instead of bitter about it.

Probably wouldn’t do that if I was playing 18 on a full sized course and was getting frustrated around 13 or 14, but I was forcing myself to finish my round and realized I was gonna go home in a bad mood, so I said gently caress it and practiced putting and chipping for a while instead which ended up being fun!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Not loving around and spending forever looking for your ball is ready golf imo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

T-Square posted:

I’m fairly new (2 ish years of playing, still poo poo) but I like keeping score and not playing mulligans because I like to see how I’m improving. However if I lose a ball, I’m just playing a drop. I played at the tiny par 3 down the road on Sunday and started off great, and then when I came back around to play a second 9 I started hitting like poo poo and got really frustrated with it and wasn’t having fun anymore so I quit and went to gently caress around on the practice green for an hour instead and left feeling good instead of bitter about it.

Probably wouldn’t do that if I was playing 18 on a full sized course and was getting frustrated around 13 or 14, but I was forcing myself to finish my round and realized I was gonna go home in a bad mood, so I said gently caress it and practiced putting and chipping for a while instead which ended up being fun!

I'm not a mulligan guy either but I also have no issue with anyone else using them, just don't lie and tell people you shot an 86 when I watched you take 7 breakfast balls. And as always, pace of play is king. If you can take a dozen mulligans and I'm not waiting for you to putt out on a hole more power to you. Also, if you're hitting a breakfast ball I consider the first ball "lost" so don't waste everyone's time wandering around looking for it.

The option to walk off the course is always there. I've walked off after the 3rd hole before because I realized I just had no interest in being on a golf course and didn't want to subject myself to four hours of misery.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

I'm not a mulligan guy either but I also have no issue with anyone else using them, just don't lie and tell people you shot an 86 when I watched you take 7 breakfast balls. And as always, pace of play is king. If you can take a dozen mulligans and I'm not waiting for you to putt out on a hole more power to you. Also, if you're hitting a breakfast ball I consider the first ball "lost" so don't waste everyone's time wandering around looking for it.

The option to walk off the course is always there. I've walked off after the 3rd hole before because I realized I just had no interest in being on a golf course and didn't want to subject myself to four hours of misery.

I'd rather someone go 200 yards up the fairway and drop their second shot than take 2 mulligans from the spot they keep messing up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah, if I’m rocketing one off the tee out into the woods, I just go up in that area and take a cursory glance for it and take a drop, because chances are I’m gonna rocket a second one off the tee out into the woods too lol

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

T-Square posted:

I've been playing for about 30 years and still poo poo 😆.

However, my approach to scores/mulligans/drops is to keep two scores: actual score and the mulligan score. Usually, if I duff a shot that goes 4 yards, I'm going to drop another ball and hit it again and pick up the first ball. I'm out there to have fun in the end. The mulligan score lets me keep track of what my potential score could be if I hit the ball more consistently. To me, that's good info to know and keeps me wanting to play.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Internet Savant posted:

I'm out there to have fun in the end.

This is really the takeaway. Over the last few years one of my golf buddies and I have settled in on keeping individual scores for the front 9 - if someone is doing well then that continues for the back, otherwise if we're both struggling we switch to a 2man scramble for the rest of the round. It's so much more fun - suddenly pars are back on the table, shots become interesting again, etc. We end the back wishing we could play another 18 instead of feeling discouraged.

What's funny is how fascinated so many of our pairings are by this - granted we're usually playing local munis or similarly cheap courses, but people have never heard of scrambles or don't understand why we wouldn't keep individual score. We've tried to get other pairings to join us on the back 9 and they were confused at the entire concept, insisting on flailing their way to a 100+ round lol.

There's a lot of fun ways to play golf. It's not all sunday coverage of the pros gritting their way to a 67.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, my playing partner and I will usually do match play on the front 9, then score on her back once we’re warmed up. Match play seems to break people’s minds.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s something so incredibly freeing about being on a heater with the putter. The better part of a month now I’ve felt like I’m cheating at golf because as long as I can give myself a 15 footer for par I feel pretty good about my chances, and the six footers are being rammed in the center of the cup every time. I can’t imagine it’ll last long but it’s fun af while it’s going, and the psychological damage it inflicts in my league matches just can’t be beat. Roll in a couple from long range early in a match and half the people ragequit their round.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Just to echo the whole strokeplay isn't everything sentiment here, when I played more regularly my friends and I would just do match play with the winner getting a free dinner from the other (usually something small like KFC).

It made things more fun and didn't make one bad hole ruin the day. We also kept score for our own shot tracking purposes, but it wasn't the be all and end all and it was way more fun to go for the long putt or chip in to try and win/halve a hole than try to protect a score.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
When I was still learning I would do stableford rules, which is pick up after double inc handicap. So if you're off 18, the worst you can shoot is a triple bogey

I feel like that's a good one because it's true to how it is if you're playing comp anyway. It breaks down as you get lower, especially single digits, where you could be shooting double your score if you do it but it lasts a while!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My dad always had me and my brothers pick up after double par, except if there was nobody behind us which he's done himself forever. We've always been very conscious of pace of play, especially because we all suck at golf :colbert:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Haven't made a real live birdie in weeks, but I'm playing and scoring better than I have since I changed it all. Our Tuesday afternoon game colloquially referred to as the " after work squad" is a skins game plus stableford. I've yet to make a real skin in that game but I'm making my points within 2-3 strokes over 9 holes.

Compared to what I was doing to myself in a golf game the last 6 months or so, this is good. I'm putting a lot better, but I'm lagging everything instead of leaving myself 10+ footers. Not good for skins obviously but much better for getting my average down.

A friend of mine showed me Golf Logix after I asked him post round why a putt did the opposite of what I thought it would and wow. I'm going to use it even with a grandfathered in full GolfShot one time purchase.

Home course is a Tillinghast design and I think Jedi Mind gently caress is an accurate term for what those greens are doing. The topographical view is only half the battle here. The first one is among the nastiest.

Two false fronts, a false right side. Any putt that goes off the tier in the middle/back spots will end up off the front and back down the hill. If I pipe a tee shot on this hole from the Blues leaves me a 7-5 iron in, depending on wind. The green is elevated 25 feet above a typical fairway shot to boot. This one and the next 4 holes will leave you walking away with double bogeys and me wondering what the hell happened lol.

Here's another on #5 green I made with an I-pad after a 4 putt in practice. Green arrows are grain red are slope :psyduck:

That course only rates out at 71/131 from blue with easily the trickiest greens I've ever seen. HCI is up to 16.8 now and it is 100% from putting on these greens. I swear it plays a lot harder, and I'm getting an established score history in GHIN for once without bullshitting myself. I've been as low as a 12 before but on a much easier course. It might be fun when I take that handicap elsewhere ;)

Really, the only thing I'm regretting is all my friends are between 3-8 HCI and I feel like an ape playing amongst them.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 17, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, probably back to the drawing board for a new instructor. I think I have what I need to focus on for this season, and overall I’m happy with what I got out of my first lesson with this one. But yesterday was my second, and when I scheduled it at the end of my first lesson, I specifically asked if we could work on chipping and putting on the practice greens and she said yes.

I reiterated at the start yesterday that I wanted to work on chipping and putting and she had me shoot some wedge shots off the mat at ~50 yards and ~20 feet for ten minutes, and then she briefly explained “when you’re putting, imagine where water would flow and keep your hands light on the putter” and that was my putting lesson and she moved on to irons and driver again for the remainder of the session lol.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1658964871990444032?s=20

lmao

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Reminder that you have until 7am ET to get your picks in or change them!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Summer distances came early. I am puring my irons and hit the top of my distance range...except it made the PXG glaringly obvious it's not got the distance off the tee the titleist has. I hit a couple of on-the-screws tee shots and was pretty aggravated to find the shots hadn't actually gone very far. I've been playing alternate ball with the ProV1x and the PXG and they're less durable and shorter with driver.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I just realized that my irons will be officially non conforming in 2024. Guess I need new sticks.

e: lol pxg's gen 6 pitching wedge is 2 degrees stronger than my 9 iron.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 18, 2023

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

gvibes posted:

e: lol pxg's gen 6 pitching wedge is 2 degrees stronger than my 9 iron.

The PW and AW on my Apex '21's are a full inch longer than my Pings.

Speaking of, anyone looking for a set of nice rear end game improvement irons?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 19, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Drizzly day, around 45 degrees, but looked like the rain was stopping. I was wrong.

Round went, par, eagle, par, bogey, bogey, par, par, quit after sliding down a low slope into standing water and wrenching my back. The picture is the practice green as I was leaving.

PXL_20230519_162954981 by B. B., on Flickr

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sprained my left thumb a few days ago so I’m forcing myself to not play until the pain and swelling are 100% gone but it’s tough. Luckily there’s a major to watch and rain tomorrow but I was so close to trying to play 9 after work today anyway. I’ve been trying to fix my driver swing and jonesing to get back out and practice more. I’m subbing for people in leagues on Monday and Tuesday and then in two of my own leagues on Wed and Thurs and I’d feel like a jerk making my hand worse and not being able to play.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Par putt on the hardest hole on the course right before the member member. They verticut these fuckers last week and the way the ball just dives on this grainy rear end Bermuda is why golf keeps coming up in therapy. :negative:

I put that ball on the opposite side of the hole at about two feet and it still dove all the way across.

24” par putt or how I learned to stop worrying and embrace the suck that is Bermuda 
https://youtu.be/4gQ_a6mDppE

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Since the shaft of my 3 wood splintered.....I've been debating whether to just get a new shaft for it or ditch the 3 wood altogether and possibly go for a 7 or even a 9 wood. I have a lot of trouble with my long irons and I'm very happy with my 5 wood. So maybe a bridge between the 5 wood and the 5 or 6 iron would benefit me more. Has anyone ever tried a Moon Wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Since the shaft of my 3 wood splintered.....I've been debating whether to just get a new shaft for it or ditch the 3 wood altogether and possibly go for a 7 or even a 9 wood. I have a lot of trouble with my long irons and I'm very happy with my 5 wood. So maybe a bridge between the 5 wood and the 5 or 6 iron would benefit me more. Has anyone ever tried a Moon Wood?

See if you can get a chance to try a Ping G425 Max 7 wood, they're all the rage lately apparently.