Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Fantastic Four #7.

Please put Ryan North in charge of the FF movie, and hell, he wouldn't be an awful Reed with a dye job.

Reed you literally went to heaven and met God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Working supes - still the stories I want to read.

Super powers, normal lives.

Moore did it great with the Top 10 series and I've never seen anyone else come close. They always move straight back into superheroes and "great responsibility, etc" rather than "Speed Pizza: at to your door in under 30 minutes anywhere in the world - or it's free"

I've had at least one character in a supers tabletop game opine that some schlub gets the proportionate strength of a border collie and their first impulse is to put on tights and a domino mask.

One of the things that brought My Hero Academia down for me, really (Still a great show, highly recommend, but they didn't go anywhere I expected with it and that's both good and bad). Even the heroes that are explicitly themed after service professions are only ever seen doing their schtick after a villain does something that would be related to it, the only exceptions I can recall are the school staff who have all explicitly retired from heroing.

ImpAtom posted:

Reed hasn't published his study yet, his statement is still accurate.

e:

Titans #1

Dareon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 17, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fantastic Four #7.

Please put Ryan North in charge of the FF movie, and hell, he wouldn't be an awful Reed with a dye job.

Reed Richards not believing in the supernatural always strikes me as bullshit. I'm pretty drat sure he's met Dr Strange's ghost dog

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Moore did it great with the Top 10 series and I've never seen anyone else come close. They always move straight back into superheroes and "great responsibility, etc" rather than "Speed Pizza: at to your door in under 30 minutes anywhere in the world - or it's free"

Kate Leth's Hellcat series that was too good for this world had her setting up a temp agency for people with powers, like why hire three people to move your giant couch when you can hire one person with super strength. And then there's Damage Control, who I don't think have powers, but work a regular job amidst a bunch of super heroes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Suleman posted:

Source: Daredevil (2011) #23

Source: Daredevil (2011) #24

Source: Daredevil (2016) #25

Who is going to tell him about the Supreme Court?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ImpAtom posted:

Remember that time Reed told Franklin and Val that there was no heaven and hell, when he's been to both, and Franklin himself has vaporized Mephisto?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Reed Richards not believing in the supernatural always strikes me as bullshit. I'm pretty drat sure he's met Dr Strange's ghost dog

Reed could in theory believe that heaven/hell/spirits/supernatural is just another form of nature he hasn't studied?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

Remember that time Reed told Franklin and Val that there was no heaven and hell, when he's been to both, and Franklin himself has vaporized Mephisto?

I remember in the Sam Nova book an early issue had his teacher say there was no such thing as aliens. Bitch, Earth has been publicly invaded by aliens like five times at least.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

evilmiera posted:

Who is going to tell him about the Supreme Court?

Hey, it’s a comic book, it doesn’t have to be realistic!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Air Skwirl posted:

I remember in the Sam Nova book an early issue had his teacher say there was no such thing as aliens. Bitch, Earth has been publicly invaded by aliens like five times at least.

You know, I lost my ability to call bullshit on that sort of deliberate blindness about halfway through COVID.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Wanderer posted:

You know, I lost my ability to call bullshit on that sort of deliberate blindness about halfway through COVID.
Where do you think we are?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Makes me think of an RPG from the 90s called Underground, by Ray Winninger. It's an examination of many things, but one thing it does is treat 'superheroes' as regular human beings who are exploited for, and traumatized by, their powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fantastic Four #7.

Ryan North is way too tall to play Reed

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Ryan North is way too tall to play Reed

Agreed, movie superheroes shouldn't be any taller than their comic book counterparts. I mean, imagine if Wolverine had been played by someone who's a foot taller than the comics version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Regardless of height, it's probably best if a professional actor played Reed Richards.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Air Skwirl posted:

Regardless of height, it's probably best if a professional wrestler played Reed Richards.

:hmmyes:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Suleman posted:

Agreed, movie superheroes shouldn't be any taller than their comic book counterparts. I mean, imagine if Wolverine had been played by someone who's a foot taller than the comics version.

Ryan North is like a foot taller than everyone is the problem.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
It's Reed Richards. He can be exactly as tall as he wants to be.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Nipponophile posted:

It's Reed Richards. He can be exactly as tall as he wants to be.

And what man, given stretchy powers, wouldn't choose to be the tallest one in the room?

Reed would probably actually choose the most pragmatic size for any given situation but being tall does have some advantages...or so I hear.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah but if you don't live in Manhattan, you probably wouldn't know.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bucnasti posted:

5/4 doesn't have quite the same meter to it as 9/11 I guess.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

Speaking of, the Fantastic Four are in Manhattan and were around when Inferno happened.

Literal hell on earth, hordes of Demons eating people, a very sassy himbo Havoc.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

And what man, given stretchy powers, wouldn't choose to be the tallest one in the room?

Reed would probably actually choose the most pragmatic size for any given situation but being tall does have some advantages...or so I hear.

Reed would claim that he’s being the most pragmatic height but default to over six feet most of the time

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's split the difference, Ryan North can play Flatman

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

We’ve already settled this, it’s Chip Zdarsky

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Air Skwirl posted:

Kate Leth's Hellcat series that was too good for this world had her setting up a temp agency for people with powers, like why hire three people to move your giant couch when you can hire one person with super strength. And then there's Damage Control, who I don't think have powers, but work a regular job amidst a bunch of super heroes.

Didn't Damage Control also turn out that their boss was a supervillain?

There was a webcomic about a girl with super strength who was on the path of giving up superheroing to find a better way. I remember she met a girl with super healing who could regrow any part of her body and, every day, went to hospital to have organs removed to donate to sick people.

Sadly, it disappeared up its own arse very quickly.

e: the comic, that is, not the girl with healing powers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ryan North's account found

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was a webcomic about a girl with super strength who was on the path of giving up superheroing to find a better way. I remember she met a girl with super healing who could regrow any part of her body and, every day, went to hospital to have organs removed to donate to sick people.

This was Strong Female Protagonist, by Dimension 20's own Brennan Lee Mulligan and Molly Ostertag.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Clevin...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Squidster posted:

This was Strong Female Protagonist, by Dimension 20's own Brennan Lee Mulligan and Molly Ostertag.

right, i remember that became completely unreadable but not the details.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Squidster posted:

That's the one, thanks.

So much potential :sigh:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

being taller than the hulk in a fight is a self fixing situation

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Kalli posted:

Speaking of, the Fantastic Four are in Manhattan and were around when Inferno happened.

Literal hell on earth, hordes of Demons eating people, a very sassy himbo Havoc.

Technically, Limbo is just an alternate dimension, and its 'demons' are different from the Hell Lords.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Ryan North is like a foot taller than everyone is the problem.

How does he feel about stomping?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

JSA: Classified #2 (2005)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Due to these massive badonkers in the way"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does her modern costume still have the boob window? Or did they take a note from Captain Marvel and update it to be less Sex Sells?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Infinitum posted:

Does her modern costume still have the boob window? Or did they take a note from Captain Marvel and update it to be less Sex Sells?

It's one of those holographic pictures that change depending how you look at it, from an S to "Hey buddy, my eyes are up there and they can shoot lasers."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
"She breathes through her skin."

Action Comics #1051 (2023)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SimonChris posted:

"She breathes through her skin."

Action Comics #1051 (2023)

Serious case of the crazy eyes here.