Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
TOTK controls suck, I want L3 to be sprint dammit.

Also for some reason the game wants me to collect like 300 amber to upgrade my loving armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sprint on L3 is haram.
Crouch/sneak on L3 is halal.
Amen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sprint should always be on. Why would you want to walk slow when you could go fast?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

Sprint should always be on. Why would you want to walk slow when you could go fast?

Modern Warfare 2 has "Always be sprinting" and its pretty great.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can’t put my finger on why but I am also really struggling to remember the controls in TOTK.

There are a few things I really wish they had improved from BOTW. Now that you can stick items on arrows, you need to scroll through a vastly larger list of items to find the one you want, but they still use the exact same interface for switching weapons which means you can only scroll through them left to right in a line, one at a time. why is this not a grid? if it has to be a line, why can’t you press up or down on the stick to jump forward/backward by 5 when this list is literally more than 100 items long?

The way both games handle health and defense scaling mean that there are usually two amounts of damage you can take from a hit: a quarter heart (the minimum allowable amount of damage) or your entire health bar. the game has one-shot protection so if you’re at full health you’ll drop to a quarter heart instead of dying instantly, but it means that too many encounters are either trivially easy because you take almost no damage, or your health is equal to your number of healing items because every hit will take you to the one-shot gate and you need to pause and heal back to full after each hit to reset your one-shot protection. I get that starting with 3 hearts and ending with many times more than that is something the series has always done, but it’s really something that should have been reexamined when they changed the formula because it’s extremely swingy and makes you feel like you’re always either underleveled or overleveled.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Owl Inspector posted:

There are a few things I really wish they had improved from BOTW. Now that you can stick items on arrows, you need to scroll through a vastly larger list of items to find the one you want, but they still use the exact same interface for switching weapons which means you can only scroll through them left to right in a line, one at a time. why is this not a grid? if it has to be a line, why can’t you press up or down on the stick to jump forward/backward by 5 when this list is literally more than 100 items long?

This one's been bothering me quite a bit. You can sort by a few factors including most-used, which helps a bit, but it doesn't cover everything and the order gets reset a lot. Really, what it needs is a quick-equip menu that you can put, say, 10 items on. Just default to that for 99% of the time you're using arrows, then let you pull up the full menu if you're doing something more unusual.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

exquisite tea posted:

One of the earlier Harvest Moon games (Friends of Mineral Town?) let you select whether your default speed was walking or running, with you holding down a button to do the other.

People who picked "default walk, hold ___ to run" are cops. :colbert:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If a game doesn't have a default run option then at the very least give me a toggle to run so I can press it once and never press it again

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leal posted:

If a game doesn't have a default run option then at the very least give me a toggle to run so I can press it once and never press it again

Mario rabbids has runbutton set to toggle, but it turns off on some interactions (but not others), making it almost as annoying as just holding the darn button

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

TOTK tags some things as completed on the map, but until you figure out what causes it to happen, it can be misleading. Leading you to miss unique poo poo.

A great example is caves, which get marked on the map as discovered when you find the entrance, and marked as complete once you get a specific item every cave has.
However, some caves can have extra stuff in them, that isn't tracked, even if that item is unique. I asked a friend about a specific piece of gear, and he pointed me at a cave I'd already 'cleared'.
But no, there was a chest I hadn't caught. A big part of this was because I'd done it early enough that it hadn't quite clicked that they don't actually track cave completion.

It feels especially bad that the game does it that way, considering that shrines track shrine completion, and if you grabbed the chest in them separately. Even though the hidden chests in shrines are really forgettable.
(Also it's still stupid that the 'highlight caves' feature doesn't filter by ones you've cleared.)

Also I feel TOTK is way way way worse than BOTW ever was on how easy it is to just blitz past poo poo without noticing it.
I'm realizing that I'd much rather have the towers map out a radius around them, instead of the whole region. (And have the rest fill in as you actually explore.).

SubNat has a new favorite as of 18:30 on May 17, 2023

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

GTA 3 and Vice City let your character run at max speed indefinitely by the simple act of tapping the run button instead of holding it down. The definitive editions "fixed" that to work like San Andreas. Your guy now gets tired after a while, reducing speed to a jog, regardless of how much tapping you do.

It smacks of someone being really mad about a simple exploit and deciding they will make it "right".
All that does is ensure on foot sections will be a slog.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rock Star is the absolute worst about making sure you're playing their games correctly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

San Andreas lets you unlock infinite spirit like thirty minutes in, at least.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

madeintaipei posted:

GTA 3 and Vice City let your character run at max speed indefinitely by the simple act of tapping the run button instead of holding it down. The definitive editions "fixed" that to work like San Andreas. Your guy now gets tired after a while, reducing speed to a jog, regardless of how much tapping you do.

It smacks of someone being really mad about a simple exploit and deciding they will make it "right".

Meanwhile Bethesda doesn't fix any Skyrim bugs for Skyrim Buy it a 3rd time edition and people bitch about lazy devs

You just can't win

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Byzantine posted:

San Andreas lets you unlock infinite spirit like thirty minutes in, at least.

Changing the .dat files so skill development was nearly instant was the way to go.

Could also change all kinds of car and weapon stats this way

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I actually don't know how fast Snake runs in Metal Gear Solid 5 but the way the camera moves and shakes all over the place it sure feels like he's hauling rear end

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

I actually don't know how fast Snake runs in Metal Gear Solid 5 but the way the camera moves and shakes all over the place it sure feels like he's hauling rear end

I approximated it out just for fun once, and with his bionic arm upgrades he's going 22+ mph. So, not far behind Usain Bolt 100m speeds, but sustained across the breadth of Afghanistan :ocelot:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like Hitman's implementation where you start out walking and then when you press a button it switches to sprint, which deactivates when you stop moving. It wouldn't work for every game but it's good in one where you frequently don't want to be moving at full speed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

I can guarantee nobody on the remaster team cared enough to try and get anything 'right'

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

credburn posted:

Wasn't there a game where one of the developers later said that pressing run didn't actually make you go faster, it just changed the FOV and character animation so that it felt like you were going faster? I think it was one of the Mass Effect games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Paper Tiger posted:

Wasn't there a game where one of the developers later said that pressing run didn't actually make you go faster, it just changed the FOV and character animation so that it felt like you were going faster? I think it was one of the Mass Effect games.

https://twitter.com/eplerjc/status/1621030783900332032
https://twitter.com/eplerjc/status/1621044606837358592

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zelda TOTK: Slip Resistance potions are loving worthless. Level 2 out of 3 slip resistance doesn't do a drat thing when trying to climb when it's raining, the only option seems to be that if you had 1 piece of slip resistant gear + level 2 slip resistant potion, MAYBE it will stop you from sliding. Level 2 still makes you slip, you still slip just as far as you climbed, you still slip about as often as you normally would, and if you were to put a side-by-side comparison shot of level 2 slip resistance vs no slip resistance it'd mean jack poo poo to me, either way I'm still barely making progress until my stamina wheel empties and I fall. What a stupid loving mechanic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

Zelda TOTK: Slip Resistance potions are loving worthless. Level 2 out of 3 slip resistance doesn't do a drat thing when trying to climb when it's raining, the only option seems to be that if you had 1 piece of slip resistant gear + level 2 slip resistant potion, MAYBE it will stop you from sliding. Level 2 still makes you slip, you still slip just as far as you climbed, you still slip about as often as you normally would, and if you were to put a side-by-side comparison shot of level 2 slip resistance vs no slip resistance it'd mean jack poo poo to me, either way I'm still barely making progress until my stamina wheel empties and I fall. What a stupid loving mechanic

Yeah....I was so psyched when I saw there were slip potions, then I used it the first time and remembered it was resistance rather than negation, and I was still unable to climb up even a moderately small cliff. And then I spent the next five minutes wasting time trying to find somewhere to set up a fire to skip through the rain because there was literally no sheltered area for a fire anywhere nearby.
I hate the rain so much, it does nothing but take moments where I'm right in the middle of doing something I want to do, and go but what if you had to dick around for a while doing annoying things before you could keep going? :sigh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, I'm normally not very against the rain but I'm trying to climb a hill in Akkala after finishing up some monsters on a beach, and my options are "climb this cliff to go exactly where I want to with my one-and-a-half stamina wheels" or "walk around the entire loving cliff face then up the hill" or "warp back to the tower and glide halfway across the region"

Either way it's just a waste of my time! I can't make a fire, I can't climb the cliff, I can't use any of the cool new powers, and by the time I walk around the whole goddamned thing or glide my happy rear end over there, the rain will have stopped anyway. I can totally understand having rainy areas where the whole point is figuring out how to get around/overcome the rain using equipment, like how the Zora domain in Breath of the Wild kept you from exploring the taller areas until you beat the divine beast, but having it be a random-chance mechanic that leaves you stranded with nothing to do but waste time is a loving bore

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

bawk posted:

Yeah, I'm normally not very against the rain but I'm trying to climb a hill in Akkala after finishing up some monsters on a beach, and my options are "climb this cliff to go exactly where I want to with my one-and-a-half stamina wheels" or "walk around the entire loving cliff face then up the hill" or "warp back to the tower and glide halfway across the region"

Either way it's just a waste of my time! I can't make a fire, I can't climb the cliff, I can't use any of the cool new powers, and by the time I walk around the whole goddamned thing or glide my happy rear end over there, the rain will have stopped anyway. I can totally understand having rainy areas where the whole point is figuring out how to get around/overcome the rain using equipment, like how the Zora domain in Breath of the Wild kept you from exploring the taller areas until you beat the divine beast, but having it be a random-chance mechanic that leaves you stranded with nothing to do but waste time is a loving bore

Do you have any zonai fans/balloons and flame emitters? They give you a ton of new tools for going vertical besides climbing now. Including a new lizard you can cook into slip-resistant elixirs.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nothing that was going to be helpful, the cliff is too tall to rocket/balloon over just by attaching it to a shield, by the time it started raining I was halfway up on a steep-enough sloped surface that I could still stand to regain stamina, but nowhere near flat enough to build something, and I had already popped a level-2 slip-resistance elixir (that didn't do a drat thing) which got me mad enough to complain in this thread anyway. By the time I hop back down, put a balloon and a flame emitter on a sled and wait for it to go high enough I'm willing to bet the rain would have stopped at that point too.

It's just a needlessly annoying mechanic that they even made a point of addressing by giving slip-resistance elixirs, but the elixir's worthless if all it does is let you climb slightly higher before slipping down the same distance you would normally. At level 2 out of 3 slip resistance I'd expect to slip less often enough/slip less distance that I could still climb a whole stamina wheel's worth of cliff using one-and-a-half stamina wheels or something, but it's still three-steps-forward-three-steps-back even with the elixir.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I do agree that rain is as annoying as ever, I just often find myself forgetting about all these tools until after the fact so figured others might as well. :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Paper Tiger posted:

When my ex would play Xenoblade games she would usually play as the Nopon because as its camera is lower to the ground, it gives the impression one is moving much faster.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can turn off the camera shake in MGSV when running. There's no stamina in play, so you're free to haul rear end across the desert as a middle aged man wearing a tight-fitting sneak suit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like Hitman's implementation where you start out walking and then when you press a button it switches to sprint, which deactivates when you stop moving. It wouldn't work for every game but it's good in one where you frequently don't want to be moving at full speed.

That particular option for sprint behavior was only added in a patch at the start of this year.

"The player must press ‘run’ when walking. If 47 was already walking, he will run. If he was already running, nothing will happen. When he stops moving, his speed resets to a “walk”."

I instantly tried it out back then and within an hour I already couldn't imagine playing without it. Better than a hold or toggle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why can't I pause cutscenes in totk?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Can you just press the Home button?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not so much a bad thing as a really bizarre thing but in TOTK when you finish the tutorial island and start the actual story you go visit Purah, who then proceeds to recap everything that happened in the story up to that point. Not BOTW, TOTK. You know, the stuff you literally just did.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a Nintendo game, they needed to put some tedium in there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Persona 5 R: If you open the box in your room you get the DLC items. All the DLC items, completely breaking the balance. You can't even touch the cosmetic stuff since it all comes bundled together.

If I recall Dead Space 2 didnt even give you the choice.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

muscles like this! posted:

Not so much a bad thing as a really bizarre thing but in TOTK when you finish the tutorial island and start the actual story you go visit Purah, who then proceeds to recap everything that happened in the story up to that point. Not BOTW, TOTK. You know, the stuff you literally just did.

Planning for the people who stay on the initial islands for weeks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's why I love Fenyx Rising despite it being considered a lesser clone of BOTW, it's funny in a self-aware way (and honestly I prefer it to BOTW.) When you finally get to the title card after the tutorial island, Zeus is like "That was just the prolog? ODYSSEUS got home faster than that!" because the idea is that it's a story being told to him by Prometheus.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Persona 5 R: If you open the box in your room you get the DLC items. All the DLC items, completely breaking the balance. You can't even touch the cosmetic stuff since it all comes bundled together.

If I recall Dead Space 2 didnt even give you the choice.

Both Dead Space 1 & 2 just put all DLC items in the shop kiosks for 0 credits (although I don't think DS1 had much, just some promo armour). Annoyingly they usually just got put at the top of the list due to the low price.
You can just take the DLC weapons out and then put them in storage to get them out of the list, if you don't want to use them, but if you get one of the armours, it instantly upgrades both your damage resistance and inventory slots to maximum, no matter what suit you wear. So if you pick up one of the DLC armours by mistake, gently caress you, you're just maxed out now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The only thing you're forced to use in the P5 dlc is the early shot of money, which you can't even really spend all of that early since shops and their stock are timegated. You can just leave everything else rotting in your inventory or demon compendium.

It's not like you have limited space taken up like in Dead Space's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I like buying games three years after they come out because they're cheap and come with all the DLC. What I don't like is sitting down to play the game for the first time and have to click through 25 "YOU'VE UNLOCKED... WIFFLE BAT SPECIAL WEAPON!" "YOU'VE UNLOCKED... SNOOP DOGG SKIN"