Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They might want to grant send-as permissions to people to use noreply as an outbound address, but I'd do that with a DL and put no members in it so that messages sent there just disappear. In any case whatever they are trying to achieve would probably be better handled outside of Exchange using a bulk mail platform like Sendgrid or SES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyks posted:

I just got a request to make a mailbox called “noreply@domain.com”

Am I just being stubborn or is making that mailbox defeat the purpose? Would it not be better to just have any emails going to it get rejected?

Cause some micromanager rear end in a top hat wants to see the sent emails without asking the admins for logs. Been there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

tokin opposition posted:

My boss is now saying that users need at least 25mbps for our new voip solution but that ISPs don't usually offer speeds that low

I'm not way off right, right - 10 is standard and should be plenty for web browsing vpn file transfers and voip right??
FWIW we stopped requiring our clients to use a VoIP-specific router with QoS we could control around the time that 30mbit/sec became "standard". By a year or two later when 50mbit/sec was available in most places we stopped even selling the things. 10 was usually fine but easy for a single user to flood out.

If a site is located in some shithole that only has DSL these days we just tell them to get a second one to dedicate to the phones, at which point even 1.5mbit/sec is fine as long as it's reliable. A T1 carries 23 calls when used for telecom purposes, though for VoIP it's only good for around 20 thanks to multiple layers of protocol overhead that don't exist on a PRI.

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol imagine VoIP over dial up.
Anyone else remember CoolTalk?

I've never had two working modems in my possession at the same time during my VoIP career but I have always wanted to try running a low bandwidth codec like G.729 over dialup just to see how well or badly it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just moved from having 20Mbit upload to 500 symmetric and never bothered setting any QoS back up, I figure I can just brute force things and it's worked fine for the last month.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hot take: no reply email addresses are a blight

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

tokin opposition posted:

our current system goes across a VPN, the new system that she was discussing wouldn't be (SaSS is better than a terrible system from the 90s)

Unless your VPN isn't set for split-tunnel. Then all the traffic would still go over your VPN regardless, correct?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Got let go today, poo poo sucks.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Blurb3947 posted:

Sucks. Good luck, goon.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Just keep relentlessly applying for positions. I live in ground zero of tech layoffs and still managed to find something local after getting laid off. Also look at remote opportunities!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blurb3947 posted:

Goondolences.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

I hope it ends up being a blessing in disguise.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Blurb3947 posted:

Rough beats.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Blurb3947 posted:

I’m really sorry. I’m worried the same thing might happen to me soon. I’ve been long term unemployed previously for about a year, ngl it was fun as hell and made me hate working a lot. Do what you can to keep your spirits up, file for unemployment ASAP, and try to remind yourself you aren’t your job

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Internet Explorer posted:

i am a moron posted:

…and try to remind yourself you aren’t your job

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

i am a moron posted:

I’m really sorry. I’m worried the same thing might happen to me soon. I’ve been long term unemployed previously for about a year, ngl it was fun as hell and made me hate working a lot. Do what you can to keep your spirits up, file for unemployment ASAP, and try to remind yourself you aren’t your job

This 10000x Work to live, do not live to work

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Blurb3947 posted:

Sorry my dude. Hope it leads to something better.

kensei posted:

Work to live, do not live to work

:yeah:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Saw a Tier 1 helpdesk position listed for $14.30 an hour.

What the gently caress.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
You get what you pay for

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Blurb3947 posted:

Condolences, hope you can somewhere bigger and better

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Thanks y'all. I know it's corny as poo poo but I do believe in the "when one door closes another opens" mantra.

I'm about to start up my program at WGU again and have 10 classes left so this should afford me some more time to get at that. Would love to finish that off this year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blurb3947 posted:

:glomp: FWIW, I highly recommend taking time off somewhere Tropical to recover.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Dandywalken posted:

What the gently caress.

Jesus Christ, I saw literal fast food in Florida offering $15/hr. That’s insane.

Maybe a good in for someone with no experience so they can bail upwards to a better job but otherwise Jesus gently caress

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I saw a place that wanted a CCNA for $15/hr tier one

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

I saw a place that wanted a CCNA for $15/hr tier one

I'm pretty sure our Tier 1/Service Desk people are paid less then Panda Express.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Waited an entire day for dell to show up for repairs only for them to cancel at 4:40pm

I'd be more annoyed if I wasn't going on vacation tomorrow and already gave it to my coworker to deal with.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Dealing with Dell support is one of the lower circles of hell, I'm sure of it

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I’ve been battling demons all day.

My boss: I told you to stop calling engineering that.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dandywalken posted:

What the gently caress.

:stare:

Man, I am so glad I landed an internal support entry level job that pays a respectable wage and didn't have to resort to consider taking that kind of poo poo. God drat.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

johnny park posted:

Dealing with Dell support is one of the lower circles of hell, I'm sure of it

Counterpoint: HP support

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Anyone responsible to op a thread about cncf projects?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

yeah i love cloudfoundry

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Diqnol posted:

Counterpoint: HP support

I've worked with Nimble support and they've been excellent. Dell has been horrific.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I've worked with Nimble support and they've been excellent. Dell has been horrific.

EMC was great, they were 1 hour away at all times.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

I'm pretty sure our Tier 1/Service Desk people are paid less then Panda Express.

Where would you rather be working?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Where would you rather be working?

I bet they get a free lunch

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

speaking as the only person young enough to have had a job in food service in living memory I can assure you the worst helpdesk is massively better than the world's cushiest panda express

anyway I'm going to a nice cabin in the woods for an extra long weekend and by god do I need it. I'm tired of being the only one who knows how computers actually work, rather than cargo-culting trivia heard in 2003

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

speaking as the only person young enough to have had a job in food service in living memory I can assure you the worst helpdesk is massively better than the world's cushiest panda express

anyway I'm going to a nice cabin in the woods for an extra long weekend and by god do I need it. I'm tired of being the only one who knows how computers actually work, rather than cargo-culting trivia heard in 2003

I remember working at bill millers and heb. It was a great place to meet girls in highschool and their moms would be impressed cause you had a job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jaegerx posted:

EMC was great, they were 1 hour away at all times.

I’m having a god drat time with support on my Powerscale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

jaegerx posted:

I remember working at bill millers and heb. It was a great place to meet girls in highschool and their moms would be impressed cause you had a job.

things have changed since 1951 op