Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Considering Genya can't use breathing techniques, and didn't seem to have GUN during the Final Selection, I think he may have already had demon powers by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

My wife claims that this show is about family dynamics, but I maintain that it's about how much trauma you'd actually have to go through in order to be an anime teen badass.

Worked extremely well for Batman after all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I do admit 6 episodes in I can't tell if this season's pacing is significantly slow or just feels slower than the previous seasons.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Annointed posted:

I do admit 6 episodes in I can't tell if this season's pacing is significantly slow or just feels slower than the previous seasons.

They're actually covering more chapters per episode than usual. Personally, rather than any pacing or narrative structure deficiencies I think it's simply that these two mofos fail to live up to the bar set by the previous Upper Six fights.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I know it's 100 percent not intentional but it's very funny that the only guy with a gun seems to be kept alive through thoughts and prayers (he was reciting Buddhist prayers the first couple of times he got grievously injured right)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
These upper moons are the sucky ones. The remaining upper moons are the cool ones

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wasn't the whole point of the concept of "Upper Moons" that there are no sucky ones? :confused:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
They're sucky in that they're boring and have about as much development/character as a monster of the week demon from the first season, I'm sure they're very strong.

Akaza's punchman psychosis and the personal relationship he developed with Rengoku through fighting him, and Daki getting several episodes showing her as a (terrible) person and hyping her up made the two of them way more cool than these two have been.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
They're not sufficiently fearsome, either.

Gyutaro felt like a genuine powerhouse much the way Akaza had been, with the added complication of also needing to take out Daki to force the group to split attentions, and and unlike with Azaka the clock was against the protagonists since the venomous blood would eventually render them too weak to keep fighting. The goal and stakes in the fight were thus clear and the audience could focus on the struggle and flashy moves.

By contrast these two are minionmancers with no backstory, annoying personalities, and the ability to keep cheating death in lieu of actually having the strength to go toe-to-toe with a Hashira-level opponent. It's just not as cool to watch.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Worked extremely well for Batman after all.

It's why Rengoku couldn't close the deal against Akaza - he "only" had to deal with his mother dying young and his dad becoming a deadbeat. Maybe if his brother had died too he could have pulled it off.

:(

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I think it's more indicative of Tanjiro's growth that he's running laps around Hantengu. He's gotten much better at Sun Breathing, and is currently benefitting from Nezuko's rear end-pull sword power-up. The experience of fighting two Upper Moons already is clearly paying off. Nezuko herself seems to be at least Daki-level by now. Also, nobody can defend themselves against Genya's GUN.

While Hantengu might be carried a bit by his sheer resilience and only engaging targets with his emotion demons, a 1v4(5?) fight against him would probably topple any Hashira. Genya seems to be implying that Tanjiro might be Hashira level, but wasn't promoted since the last fight was a team effort. His sense of smell which allowed him to be the first person to out Muzan in centuries(?) is also what's allowing him to engage Hantengu. It's possible none of the other Hashira would have been able to find him, but I'm not 100% on their abilities.

Gyokko's fight so far is going more predictably, showing the usual dominance that an Upper Moon has over a solo Hashira.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Since Tanjiro pretty much abandoned water breathing, guess we have to wait till Giyu’s penultimate fight to see how a real water breathing master is suppose to fight

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hell, next episode we might see the Mist Hashira do some water breathing in its truest form :v:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dipwood posted:

I think it's more indicative of Tanjiro's growth that he's running laps around Hantengu. He's gotten much better at Sun Breathing, and is currently benefitting from Nezuko's rear end-pull sword power-up. The experience of fighting two Upper Moons already is clearly paying off. Nezuko herself seems to be at least Daki-level by now. Also, nobody can defend themselves against Genya's GUN.

While Hantengu might be carried a bit by his sheer resilience and only engaging targets with his emotion demons, a 1v4(5?) fight against him would probably topple any Hashira. Genya seems to be implying that Tanjiro might be Hashira level, but wasn't promoted since the last fight was a team effort. His sense of smell which allowed him to be the first person to out Muzan in centuries(?) is also what's allowing him to engage Hantengu. It's possible none of the other Hashira would have been able to find him, but I'm not 100% on their abilities.

Gyokko's fight so far is going more predictably, showing the usual dominance that an Upper Moon has over a solo Hashira.

Tanjiro has nearly died several times during the fight, only being saved cause Genya and Nezuko are borderline immortal and have stopped him from taking fatal blows. Fighting Hantengu is nearly impossible if you don't have some way of locating his real body, the Emotion Demons near instantly recover, so fighting four strong Demons at the same time when you can't do anything to kill them makes victory near impossible. Even if you do figure out the Mouse Size Hantengu trick somehow, actually finding him should be super hard cause the Emotions will work even harder to defend him.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Kimetsu No Yaiba: fundamentally rejecting the standard shonen trope of taking turns fighting the big bad and using the ultimate power up: teamwork

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Yawgmoft posted:

Kimetsu No Yaiba: fundamentally rejecting the standard shonen trope of taking turns fighting the big bad and using the ultimate power up: teamwork

You know I didn't really realize this before, but yeah. Everyone is pretty much always desperately trying to just win, it's great.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Just jump em.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gazaar posted:

You know I didn't really realize this before, but yeah. Everyone is pretty much always desperately trying to just win, it's great.

I mean, Uzui literally yells "WE'RE GOING FOR THE WIN" right before he and Gyutaro consume 5% of Japan's GDP in animation, so

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jujutsu Kaisen is similar in that characters have no sense of fair play and will gang up on any opponent if they can.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tanjiro has nearly died several times during the fight, only being saved cause Genya and Nezuko are borderline immortal and have stopped him from taking fatal blows. Fighting Hantengu is nearly impossible if you don't have some way of locating his real body, the Emotion Demons near instantly recover, so fighting four strong Demons at the same time when you can't do anything to kill them makes victory near impossible. Even if you do figure out the Mouse Size Hantengu trick somehow, actually finding him should be super hard cause the Emotions will work even harder to defend him.

+ Hantengu is fuckin' sturdy as poo poo, Genya could shoot body parts off the Emotions with no issue but his bullets did jack poo poo to the fucker.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'm so used to Tanjiro nearly dying several times during a fight that I don't even factor that in anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm just waiting to see if Mitsuri also has a Tomboy Thrust in her technique arsenal

Yawgmoft posted:

Gazaar posted:

I remember this happening a lot in Fullmetal Alchemist. People fighting two or even four on one. We should look into these shounen anime adapted off of manga made by women. Maybe there's a pattern here

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ed:wrong thread

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 20, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

GateOfD posted:

the shriek Akane gave out when Aqua pulled her from the ledge that she was gonna jump was so well delivered, since she had no idea if she was being attacked by one of her haters.

Yeah totally man

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Oh no he's hot

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Shyrka posted:

Oh no he's hot

I watched the One Piece episode before this and wasn't expecting to have the same sentiment across two different anime in one day.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shyrka posted:

Oh no he's hot

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

OP and ED feel like false advertising, so far 7 episodes in The love Hashira has barely been in it and the mist hashira been spending 2 episodes stuck in a water jar.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Mist breathing so far looks like a lovely style

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's because he barely got to do any breathing at all. :v:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tanjiro got out of the Demon Magical Pool using water style.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Funnily enough I think both of these fights going forward from here is what I remember the most clearly from the manga about this arc, so I'm looking forward to the rest.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i like that the jar demon just wanted the swordsmith to stop working on the sword lol.

also, i guess just about everybody wearing a mask or boarhead is actually pretty and hot under it

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Is it really a suprise? Like 99% of characters in Kimetsu no Yaiba are pretty and hot

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

dipwood posted:

I watched the One Piece episode before this and wasn't expecting to have the same sentiment across two different anime in one day.

I said that exact line during One Piece at the reveal.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i was pretty meh on the emotion demon in general (other than staff and spear guy) until now, but hatred's design is loving cool as poo poo

vase guy continues to be dumb and bad though

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lt. Lizard posted:

Is it really a suprise? Like 99% of characters in Kimetsu no Yaiba are pretty and hot

I like that in Ojiisan Isekai that the main character, a normal looking guy, gets mistaken by people in the fantasy world as an ugly monster because everyone is just that good looking.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Tabletops posted:

i was pretty meh on the emotion demon in general (other than staff and spear guy) until now, but hatred's design is loving cool as poo poo

vase guy continues to be dumb and bad though

I keep thinking Sorrow is wearing a tracksuit. It's not just me, right?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

I keep thinking Sorrow is wearing a tracksuit. It's not just me, right?

Yeah I kept thinking that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Annointed posted:

OP and ED feel like false advertising, so far 7 episodes in The love Hashira has barely been in it and the mist hashira been spending 2 episodes stuck in a water jar.

Fighting time dilation is happening. Got to get every manga frame in there, with all the dialogue in said frame, even if it's only meant to be a split-second.