Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm approaching level 30 on my veteran and still don't have power cycler. Is there any "trick" to getting it or do I just keep checking the armory, the requisitions, and the blessing up white weapons until I see it?

Just check Melk when it resets daily, Armoury browser extension recommended for doing so so you don't need to login. Power cycler is really nice but even just a level 3 slaughterer will do you just fine. Work getting to level 30 and start up some other weapons projects while you wait for it to pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm approaching level 30 on my veteran and still don't have power cycler. Is there any "trick" to getting it or do I just keep checking the armory, the requisitions, and the blessing up white weapons until I see it?

I have like 700 hours in this game and I only just got powercycler (via crafting) a week ago. Of course right after crafting Melk put it up in his shop :v: There is a Tier 3 version of it now so basically you can go for crafting it relatively safely now.

Its definitely very very good with slaughterer, but if you have slaughterer+rampage its still really good. On regular hordes you activate, slash once, then keep hacking with unpowered sword. Slaughterer and rampage stacks will carry the damage on trash mobs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Anecdotally there's like, 3-4 100% really good blessings and the rest are kinda nice to have QoL, just worse variations of a better blessing, or useless.

Off the top of my head it's Pinning Fire, Headtaker, Slaughterer, Brutal Momentum (or equivalent version). Remember when people thought +Power blessings were trash before they figured out how they worked? Lol.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Evil Kit posted:

Anecdotally there's like, 3-4 100% really good blessings and the rest are kinda nice to have QoL, just worse variations of a better blessing, or useless.

Off the top of my head it's Pinning Fire, Headtaker, Slaughterer, Brutal Momentum (or equivalent version). Remember when people thought +Power blessings were trash before they figured out how they worked? Lol.

I'm trying to build a plasmagun and a krieger lasgun right now and I don't even know what blessings to shoot for since there is nothing that seems like a really big "boost this to gently caress" blessing. Feels bad when a weapon doesn't even have a tantalizing blessing (though better for my BP when Hadron bricks a build)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

I'm trying to build a plasmagun and a krieger lasgun right now and I don't even know what blessings to shoot for since there is nothing that seems like a really big "boost this to gently caress" blessing. Feels bad when a weapon doesn't even have a tantalizing blessing (though better for my BP when Hadron bricks a build)

For plasma any combo of volatile/gets hot!/Rending/Gloryhunter is what I'd aim for. It's really easy to ride high heat now and crits def jack up the damage. Rending specifically is good for tapping a crusher or monster with a bunch of shots and boosting your team's damage. Volatile is nice for getting to high heat faster or if you actively try to keep to low heat when not using Gets Hot!

I'm kind of okay with there being no stand out blessing for plasma cause it means you can make a playstyle to taste weapon rather than there being a BiS blessing you absolutely need.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Keeping my eyes peeled on Melk through armoury browser let me finally get a thunderhammer for my zealot that was as close to "good" as I had seen through months of melk watching and about 30 failed 370+ modifier thunderhammers with t1 blessings and garbage perks, had 25% vs unyielding and T3 thrust and "fine" modifier values which was as close as I had seen to usable thus far.

Took it for a run and charged at the weakpoint on a beast of nurgle and chunked off 60% of it's health in a single fully charged swing, felt good.

For my veteran's power cycler I got very lucky on turning a purple to orange and got T4 power cycler, then the next day melk's shop had T4 power cycler which I didn't need anymore because I had this.

I showed my friend, he said it wasn't A power sword, it was THE power sword.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

For my veteran's power cycler I got very lucky on turning a purple to orange and got T4 power cycler, then the next day melk's shop had T4 power cycler which I didn't need anymore because I had this.

I showed my friend, he said it wasn't A power sword, it was THE power sword.

That's so good! Mine is probably at least a relative of "THE powersword" - I wish I had your stat distribution tho

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

I'm kind of okay with there being no stand out blessing for plasma cause it means you can make a playstyle to taste weapon rather than there being a BiS blessing you absolutely need.

This.

I take whatever the best stat/perk rolled plasma gun I have got, slap whatever blessing I feel I need on it, and call it a day. 2nd blessing is just gravy regardless of what it is.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Took it for a run and charged at the weakpoint on a beast of nurgle and chunked off 60% of it's health in a single fully charged swing, felt good.

Something to keep in mind is that thrust is bugged and doing way more damage than it's supposed to. It's doing 150% bonus at tier 4 instead of 60%, not sure what the exact bugged bonus is at the lower tiers. So I wouldn't get too attached.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

.Z. posted:

Something to keep in mind is that thrust is bugged and doing way more damage than it's supposed to. It's doing 150% bonus at tier 4 instead of 60%, not sure what the exact bugged bonus is at the lower tiers. So I wouldn't get too attached.

Ah, forgot about Fatshark for a moment there, can't have unbugged perks half a year from release where they added or forgot a extra 0 somewhere.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

.Z. posted:

This.

I take whatever the best stat/perk rolled plasma gun I have got, slap whatever blessing I feel I need on it, and call it a day. 2nd blessing is just gravy regardless of what it is.

Lmao this explains a lot. On a Damnation run a zealot randomly woke up a daemonhost during a horde event (on purpose I think) and just deleted it in 2 swings. Thrust being bugged after multiple patches when it was perfectly fine, classic :fatshark:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

That's so good! Mine is probably at least a relative of "THE powersword" - I wish I had your stat distribution tho

I'll post mine when I get home, it's not a perfect stat roll but literally everything else on it is :discourse:

I've made a couple of basically perfect weapons, it's a shame one of them is a spicy queen recon lasgun. Recon and infantry autoguns really need a few buffs to feel good. Night and day difference for the ammo efficiency that the mk12 has.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2023

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I think its very rare to get power cycler iv and the rest of the level iv blessings on blues. So if you wanted to farm for cycler iv you need to go from purple to orange. And that is VERY expensive.

Probably best to just save your materials for other weapons you want to use and just check Melk every day I think.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jerkface posted:

Here's mine. It's obvious not perfect but the dump stat really does make it extremely good regardless. Anecdotally I do feel the lack of extra dodge.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

powercycler army

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Jerkface posted:

Replace crit with Flak damage IMO

Maniac + FLak are what I try to get on any powersword. If you have powercycler you can do it, but it may be smarter to replace it with Slaughterer IV and deal with the singular activation. Slaughterer+Rampage is the 2nd best behind Slaughterer+Powercycler.
You're not kidding about Slaughterer drat. Also of course right after I bought that power sword I upgraded my second best one to orange on a lark and got this:

Only level 2 Slaughterer but still, I'm happy with it for now. Really just wish they'd let you reroll everything though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ahh drat. I'm a dummy. Blinded by the good luck of goons here I went ahead and bought a 376 grey and upgraded it to chase that dragon.

Wrath iv.....

Maybe if I bring it to gold....

edit:

Evil Kit posted:

For plasma any combo of volatile/gets hot!/Rending/Gloryhunter is what I'd aim for. It's really easy to ride high heat now and crits def jack up the damage. Rending specifically is good for tapping a crusher or monster with a bunch of shots and boosting your team's damage. Volatile is nice for getting to high heat faster or if you actively try to keep to low heat when not using Gets Hot!

Do you think crits matter much? The plasma gun crit bonus seems a bit underwhelming in my experience.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 17, 2023

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Lmao this explains a lot. On a Damnation run a zealot randomly woke up a daemonhost during a horde event (on purpose I think) and just deleted it in 2 swings. Thrust being bugged after multiple patches when it was perfectly fine, classic :fatshark:

The vet with a well-rolled chain axe running +carapace, +weak spot damage, and at least tier 3 thrust can one shot a damnation crusher. It’s kinda ridiculous, I sorta wanna run it. But then I remind myself how bad it feels to be using a chain weapon in hordes.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Artificer posted:

Ahh drat. I'm a dummy. Blinded by the good luck of goons here I went ahead and bought a 376 grey and upgraded it to chase that dragon.

Wrath iv.....

Maybe if I bring it to gold....

edit:

Do you think crits matter much? The plasma gun crit bonus seems a bit underwhelming in my experience.

Anecdotally they definitely help and shave off the number of shots for a kill on bigger targets. They definitely don't hurt.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

.Z. posted:

The vet with a well-rolled chain axe running +carapace, +weak spot damage, and at least tier 3 thrust can one shot a damnation crusher. It’s kinda ridiculous, I sorta wanna run it. But then I remind myself how bad it feels to be using a chain weapon in hordes.

Slaughterer blessing covers the hordes decently, pairs good with Thrust

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Man, I don’t think I can make any jokes about Fatshark for awhile. For all their rough edges, they have released two enjoyable games in the time it’s taken for Overwatch 2’s PvE development to flounder aimlessly and disappear into the void forever.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Magitek posted:

Man, I don’t think I can make any jokes about Fatshark for awhile. For all their rough edges, they have released two enjoyable games in the time it’s taken for Overwatch 2’s PvE development to flounder aimlessly and disappear into the void forever.
I honestly couldn't see a path for Blizzard to create a meaningful PvE chunk of content within the confines of what they had made.

BANNED USER
May 18, 2010

I have this real nasty habit of punching faces

Magitek posted:

Bobby Kotick strikes again!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Magitek posted:

I'd like to thank Blizzard for lowering the bar so I can step over it

- a fatshark dev, maybe

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The new worst penance is the Ogryn one for 3 games on Heresy with nobody dying or being downed for long, because good god there are so many suicidal dogshit Veteran players in Heresy now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Nah I got that one in about 5 games played. You can pick people up really easily as Ogryn and the penance encourages you to do so.

The real worst penance is “don’t get hit in melee at all by elites” on Psyker. I’m at 1/3 runs with an additional 5-6 runs in which I got hit once, by one elite, that either snuck up on me or that the rest of my team completely ignored.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I want a powerfist weapon

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I want a powerfist weapon

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fist of the northstarEmperor

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Nah I got that one in about 5 games played. You can pick people up really easily as Ogryn and the penance encourages you to do so.

The real worst penance is “don’t get hit in melee at all by elites” on Psyker. I’m at 1/3 runs with an additional 5-6 runs in which I got hit once, by one elite, that either snuck up on me or that the rest of my team completely ignored.

That was 3 games for me. /shrug

But I can't stop any Veterans from running off and dying solo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The commlink got delayed until next week with the patch likely coming the following week.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

40 Proof Listerine posted:

They patched it so the zealot bonus properly applies to multi-hit melee special attacks like that so slash away

You can test it easy in the Psykhanium

No they didn't. Natural critical hit heavy activation on my Eviscerator vs a mauler reads out 3, 291, 291, 873. Then I charge and land a heavy activation and it reads 5, 291, 291, 873.

-

I don't find Kinetic Flayer useful on Surge. It should be just the spice Surge needs to kill something you're CCing but it seems to me from testing that while the lightning reads out 4 or 5 hits per cast, it is all considered one "attack" for your 10% chance to burst, so unlike a rapid-firing autopistol you can and will find yourself waiting for the dice to roll right. Unreliable.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

I primarily use Illisi so I can defend myself from hordes and the charge attack both staggers Ragers and also does good damage, usually just a two swipes with max slaughterer stacks. Also you aren't committed to an animation which is extra nice for kiting. I do have some weakness to overwhelming numbers of bulwarks and crushers, but singletons are pretty easy to handle. Also your team can cover for some of that too.

As for ultra close situations with hordes, Surge is way worse imo for defending yourself, and obviously Purgatus is the go too choice for that so it's sort of comparing the weaknesses and strengths of each stave lol. Lemme know how you feel about fast shouts once you play with it.

Played quite a bit last week with Voidstrike / Deimos FS and running the feat for quicker ult with warp charges. Worked out pretty nicely and I think I'll keep that setup for when I'm running the Voidstrike staff barring any future changes of course by fatshark. Maybe if I roll/melk up a great Illisi I'll try it.

Related to current discussion I apparently got the psyker don't get hit penance done sometime last week when I was playing this way. Might have had a surge staff game in there but wasn't closely tracking it. This week I'm focusing on Ogryn (basically trying to get melk money on different classes) and so far have 1/3 for the pickup everyone within 10 seconds penance out of 8 completed missions. I'm not too concerned about it, I'll get it eventually.

Had probably my best Ogryn game ever last night on a Damnation Shock Troop Gauntlet at the foundry, 311K damage, 618 lesser enemies killed, most disablers/specials killed in total, saved the team twice as the last man standing with having to pickup fully dead not just downed. Beast mode turned on.

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't find Kinetic Flayer useful on Surge. It should be just the spice Surge needs to kill something you're CCing but it seems to me from testing that while the lightning reads out 4 or 5 hits per cast, it is all considered one "attack" for your 10% chance to burst, so unlike a rapid-firing autopistol you can and will find yourself waiting for the dice to roll right. Unreliable.
the cooldown on kinetic flayer is what makes it bad for the purposes of securing a specific kill, it's really just a tool for keeping your stacks up if you don't like to BB much, if I'm just CCing a single thing and want to hurry things along I'll position to get off a charged force sword hit or a BB against my CC'd target.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 18, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am sure someone said this already but for Psykers concerned about durability try the Illisi with the toughness for warp kills feat. Especially since it got buffed, one activation and a wide swing into a horde of zombies and you're looking at a full toughness bar refill.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

I am sure someone said this already but for Psykers concerned about durability try the Illisi with the toughness for warp kills feat. Especially since it got buffed, one activation and a wide swing into a horde of zombies and you're looking at a full toughness bar refill.

Wait a sec, now I'm wondering but this can this proc from a staff secondary (or primary) attack since it uses peril for the attack so it must count as a warp attack right? That would seem insanely good if so, might have to try this out tonight if no one knows ITT.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah the staff attacks are all Warp. Even with Surge's low killing power I can get some little packages of toughness while blasting away with lightning. It's moved me fully off of toughness for quelling, at least when I run Illisi/Surge.

What I don't know is if something falling over dead from Soulblaze counts. I believe "no" and I'll probably still run toughness for quelling when I give Purgatus a try.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think a point in darktide's favor is that it didn't seem to have any major gameplay issues at launch, like VT2 had with phantom hits and chaos warriors who would just endlessly skate towards you with repeated overhead chops of death because you got out of range of the overhead chop and like 5 of them started doing it out of sync with eachother endlessly.

Fatshark hosed up the none-gameplay systems once again, but the gameplay was pretty dang good from launch onward.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think a point in darktide's favor is that it didn't seem to have any major gameplay issues at launch, like VT2 had with phantom hits and chaos warriors who would just endlessly skate towards you with repeated overhead chops of death because you got out of range of the overhead chop and like 5 of them started doing it out of sync with eachother endlessly.

Fatshark hosed up the none-gameplay systems once again, but the gameplay was pretty dang good from launch onward.

I mean, aside from the many crashes, disconnects, and fps murdering bugs that seem to afflict some hardware.

But yeah I agree the player-facing bugs seem better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was one of the people who straight up couldn't play the game unless I was using a VPN to make the game think I was in Norway or Japan for some reason.

Though the worst launch bug I've encountered in a multiplayer only game was Evil Dead, where if the game decided I couldn't connect to the server, the only fix that would work long enough for me to play even one game required that I uninstall not just the game but also the entire Epic app.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mendrian posted:

I mean, aside from the many crashes, disconnects, and fps murdering bugs that seem to afflict some hardware.

But yeah I agree the player-facing bugs seem better.

The crashes and disconnects was heavily mitigated by their rejoin system being so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Dakrtide's famous no-gameplay-issues launch