Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

mycomancy posted:

Wait, is that the explanation? Since all the planes are connected, everyplace is Ulgrotha now?

Not immediately, at least. The cracks between planes are new enough and weird enough that there isn't much mixing. But in the long run? I kind of get why they'd want a way to have limited inter-planar crossover that doesn't rely on every person crossing over be a member of a specific card type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Not immediately, at least. The cracks between planes are new enough and weird enough that there isn't much mixing. But in the long run? I kind of get why they'd want a way to have limited inter-planar crossover that doesn't rely on every person crossing over be a member of a specific card type.

:thejoke:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

I do not forgive you.

I've found that I cant consume everything from a single channel because there's invariably poo poo that's insufferable. Especially multi host channels like mtggoldfish.

The clear solution is to only consume mtg tiktoks. Because if it's good, neat. If it's bad, I only wasted 45 seconds of my day.

First of all those reels end up sucking away way more time than even sitting through some long rear end barely edited commander game. Second, they manage to somehow waste so much of that short insividual time waiting till the last seconds to get to the fuckin point after you sit through someone doing a really fast pitched excited rushing voice to cram in their greetings and blab.

Objectively even the average MtG reel that's 90% wasted runtime is less time wasted than the average normal YouTube video but it somehow grates on me so much more. I guess partly because you have to sit there and be loving with the reels, I can't really go to another tab or monitor just let it ride it'll just loop or worse start floating to random reels from algorithm. So they have my attention and they're.wasting it for a greater proportion of the viewing.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Khanstant posted:

First of all those reels end up sucking away way more time than even sitting through some long rear end barely edited commander game. Second, they manage to somehow waste so much of that short insividual time waiting till the last seconds to get to the fuckin point after you sit through someone doing a really fast pitched excited rushing voice to cram in their greetings and blab.

Objectively even the average MtG reel that's 90% wasted runtime is less time wasted than the average normal YouTube video but it somehow grates on me so much more. I guess partly because you have to sit there and be loving with the reels, I can't really go to another tab or monitor just let it ride it'll just loop or worse start floating to random reels from algorithm. So they have my attention and they're.wasting it for a greater proportion of the viewing.

OK yeah, the lack of autoplay next video is actually a detriment.

Though I might just be spoiled because Maldhound has some fairly funny takes on cards and King Luke seems to capture the feel of playing with friends.

You can always just loop rhystic studies to boost his view count, or listen some random 3 hour long lore video by someone who doesn't understand how to modulate their voice.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
One thing that surprised me in the Weekly Mtg interview, was that there seems to be minimal if any communication between the main design team and the Arena devs responsible for Arena formats. Maybe Brown just wanted to avoid stepping on anyone’s toes, but it sounded more like he basically had no insight into Alchemy.

I am not sure if that means all the non-paper designs are done in-house by the Arena team. And if they handle the balance changes themselves. I assumed it was more integrated.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Maro has talked about how the core set design team is completely separate from Arena on his podcast (and maybe some on his blog?), but obviously not everyone is plugged into that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

One thing that surprised me in the Weekly Mtg interview, was that there seems to be minimal if any communication between the main design team and the Arena devs responsible for Arena formats. Maybe Brown just wanted to avoid stepping on anyone’s toes, but it sounded more like he basically had no insight into Alchemy.

I am not sure if that means all the non-paper designs are done in-house by the Arena team. And if they handle the balance changes themselves. I assumed it was more integrated.

Sorry, I remembered wrong or skipped over a part of the interview. Based on his answers I don’t know if he actually knows much about the Arena formats, but he did say he has many conversations with the Arena team.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

rules question: can I run Plargg/Augusta in a deck that has Zirda as the companion, or would i need to have an activated ability on both sides for it to be a legal card in the deck?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mix. posted:

rules question: can I run Plargg/Augusta in a deck that has Zirda as the companion, or would i need to have an activated ability on both sides for it to be a legal card in the deck?

think it only considers the front facing part of the card.. so you should be able to use it in a deck with zirda

edit:

711.4a While a double-faced card is outside the game, in a zone other than the battlefield, or on the battlefield with its front face up, it has only the characteristics of its front face.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2023

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i figured that was the case, but wanted to make sure :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E: I thought we were talking commander

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

mycomancy posted:

Let me stop you right there my dude so I can vehemently disagree with you. That toxic optimism is a coping mechanism that comes from a mix of future shock and social decay. It's maladaptive as gently caress and is usually better known as "denial."

Man you must be a real hit at parties. “Optimism is denial” wasn’t quite what I expected to read from the mtg thread today but I suppose in retrospect…

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I haven't yet seen anyone mention the fact they printed a card called "Tolarian Contempt" in Aftermath.

I mean I'm definitely not the first one to mention it, I just haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

orangelex44 posted:

Man you must be a real hit at parties. “Optimism is denial” wasn’t quite what I expected to read from the mtg thread today but I suppose in retrospect…

First off, gently caress you, you don't know me.

Second off, you forgot a word there. Toxic optimism is denial.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

what the hell is toxic optimism.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

YggdrasilTM posted:

something made up by people annoyed by being told that constantly being a pessimistic wet blanket sucks, actually

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

YggdrasilTM posted:

I'm gonna hike across America, wont need any practice or advice I'm sure I'll be fine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

Thinking your pet deck is any good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Thinking your pet deck is any good.

I swear.. just one more good human and it'll work in modern :negative:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
toxic positivity is a real thing yall

but really

the professor

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

YggdrasilTM posted:

If you've ever looked at NFT, crypto or meme stocks communities (or watched a folding ideas video on them) it's basically that. Insistence that everything is fine when it's blatantly not because admitting to yourself that everything is not ok means you're in deep poo poo and if someone is trying to tell you it sucks they're a liar and out to get you. Star citizen is probably another good example, you end up with an insular echo chamber because being invested in a thing warps your brain.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i know we can't replace the mf magle, but this would be a good replacement lol

Magic: the Gathering: First off, gently caress you, you don't know me.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Even if it's not Magic-related it sure fits the culture of the thread

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Why are you guys like this

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

i know we can't replace the mf magle, but this would be a good replacement lol

:agreed:

Also drat every episode of the Resleevables is an absolute banger.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Kashuno posted:

:agreed:

Also drat every episode of the Resleevables is an absolute banger.

I loved the old podcast and love the YouTube version, Cedric and Patrick are a fantastic duo and I'm basically in for any content they put together.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

imweasel09 posted:

If you've ever looked at NFT, crypto or meme stocks communities (or watched a folding ideas video on them) it's basically that. Insistence that everything is fine when it's blatantly not because admitting to yourself that everything is not ok means you're in deep poo poo and if someone is trying to tell you it sucks they're a liar and out to get you. Star citizen is probably another good example, you end up with an insular echo chamber because being invested in a thing warps your brain.

That just sounds like denial.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I find surprising that so many are referring to optimism as an evaluation bias of what is currently surrounding you, since I always saw it as having hope for the future, but whatever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
toxic positivity is an actual thing, yeah, but it's a form of denial where you're mentally erasing all the negative aspects of your life in a way that makes you unable to improve your situation & it got broadened to also being in denial of societal problems

but the solution to that isn't immersing yourself in pessimism or self-flagellation about enjoying or even being neutral about things with bad aspects. embracing cynicism and pessimism is also bad, as it turns out

toxic optimism isn't a thing, since optimism inherently reflects an acknowledgement that things might be bad currently but they could get better

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

I find surprising that so many are referring to optimism as an evaluation bias of what is currently surrounding you, since I always saw it as having hope for the future, but whatever.

God drat are you really this dense?

It's TOXIC optimism or TOXIC positivity! You're either purposefully leaving out the TOXIC part as some sort of loving bit or you're brainwormed, I don't know which.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

loving lmao

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CitizenKeen posted:

That just sounds like denial.

That was my point, it's just willful blatant denial.

Enough with this stupid derail, the whole point is that TC Prof isn't inflicted with this stupid type of corporate toxic positivity and is willing to put WotC/Hasboro on display for how lovely they really are.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This weird derail is toxic and now I am drowning in poison counters.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm a goddamned people person! Why don't you people understand that?!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I would say Prof is one of the most fair minded of MtG content creators, generally even handed and dishes out both criticism and praise when appropriate. WotC got the hump with him because their hubris expects unbridled praise for all the slop they have put out recently.

There is no question he is the premier MtG youtuber.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cactrot posted:

This weird derail is toxic and now I am drowning in poison counters.

Original post was low effort, but the edit makes it an excellent one.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I had an angry answer, but I'll just let it go and I'll put you on ignore.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

YggdrasilTM posted:

I had an angry answer, but I'll just let it go and I'll put you on ignore.

Eat my rear end you prick.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mycomancy posted:

Eat my rear end you prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

this thread never fails to deliver