Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There are, as they say, levels to this stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Count Roland posted:

The Diaz brothers both have good overall grappling and extremely good BJJ. It would take years of experience to not be subbed immediately upon hitting the ground. No idea where Paul sits.

I wanna see this poo poo hit the ground.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Judo goons. Ive fallen in love with yama arashi as a throw no matter how many times the instructors see me practice it chuckle to themselves and say"hehe that throws only been hit like twice in competition."

Jokes on you I aim to be the third!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Defenestrategy posted:

Judo goons. Ive fallen in love with yama arashi as a throw no matter how many times the instructors see me practice it chuckle to themselves and say"hehe that throws only been hit like twice in competition."

Jokes on you I aim to be the third!

just tell them it's a same-side grip grab and go tai otoshi or harai goshi, both of which haveve been hit lots

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Even if it is kind of a historical relic, I appreciate yama arashi just for being one of the few judo techniques that actually has some flavor to its name (MOUNTAIN STORM!) instead of being a dry description of the mechanics involved ("propping turning lifting foot sweep", ho hum).

To contribute to judo chat, I've been playing around with sukui nage from turtle when the top person is trying to move around. The more technical version probably looks something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ATWaHXpzg0

But there's something really funny about getting a reversal by just grabbing their pant legs and leaning back at the exact right moment.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

Even if it is kind of a historical relic, I appreciate yama arashi just for being one of the few judo techniques that actually has some flavor to its name (MOUNTAIN STORM!) instead of being a dry description of the mechanics involved ("propping turning lifting foot sweep", ho hum).

Thats one of the reasons why I gravitated to it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I thought it was just tai otoshi with two grips on the same side and a cool name. Are the mechanics different from that?

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I thought it was harai goshi with two grips on the same side and a cool name.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

I thought it was just tai otoshi with two grips on the same side and a cool name. Are the mechanics different from that?

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I thought it was harai goshi with two grips on the same side and a cool name.

The big thing is that Yama Arashi is basically just using your arms to yeet your opponent over you while the hip and leg provide a guidance platform, whereas Harai you're using your hip to launch your opponent and tai otoshi you're using your leg to stop your opponent from catching their base while yeeting them with your arms.

edit: Also I think another big deal with the classification is the grip is from a thumbs down same side grip, which is cool, because for me it's easier to pull someone down from that position with a lot of power than from a thumbs up grip.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 14, 2023

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I'd like to try it but I'm bigger, taller, and slower than most everyone I train with and have much greater success with ashi waza in randori.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is posting scans and video clips from published works ok in this thread? I ask not for anyone's benefit, but because I paid $2 to take a copy of this out of circulation and everyone should marvel at how bad it is. The book even had a copy of the DVD still sealed within.

I don't think I'd be risking a takedown (legal or IRL). Frankly, the authors and publisher should be forced to hide from the sun for what they've released. Notably, the two guys in the book are both wearing jiu-jitsu gis, but the About the Authors sections says one is a purple belt, meaning they put their Taekwondo belts on over Gameness and Lucky in a desperate grasp for legitimacy. The techniques range from incompetent attacks and defense, to one where you lock up a guy facing away from you with his hands down and almost surely break his neck.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Please do! Aside from the fact that the authors don't have Disney-level (or probably any) attack lawyers, that kind of thing falls safely under fair use, and this is a slow thread anyway.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Is posting scans and video clips from published works ok in this thread? I ask not for anyone's benefit, but because I paid $2 to take a copy of this out of circulation and everyone should marvel at how bad it is. The book even had a copy of the DVD still sealed within.

I don't think I'd be risking a takedown (legal or IRL). Frankly, the authors and publisher should be forced to hide from the sun for what they've released. Notably, the two guys in the book are both wearing jiu-jitsu gis, but the About the Authors sections says one is a purple belt, meaning they put their Taekwondo belts on over Gameness and Lucky in a desperate grasp for legitimacy. The techniques range from incompetent attacks and defense, to one where you lock up a guy facing away from you with his hands down and almost surely break his neck.

I THINK it should be fine if you just post a few scans of the top few most hilarious, but I am not a mod, and it may well count as posting :filez: which is a bannable/probate-able offense in the forums.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Shumagorath posted:

Even the cover has some pretty questionable throwing mechanics. They did like, two standup classes and decided to put out a book huh.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That bow-legged motherfucker

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

don't see why its not allowed

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A book about MMA techniques featuring a lapel-grip throw is already pretty promising.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I've done tae kwon do for almost 30 years. I also started doing judo and japanese jujitsu in 2003. I also have been doing BJJ for the last few years as well.

That book looks like the most cringe poo poo I've ever seen, you gotta give us more.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I'm willing to bet there is a fair amount of the country that would pick this book up. There are a lot of areas in the country that are still in lack of jiu jitsu gyms, but you can still find Taekwondo/Hapkido/Kickboxing/etc

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cru Jones posted:

That book looks like the most cringe poo poo I've ever seen
Can confirm; will try to scan some of it this weekend.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://podcast.bjjmentalmodels.com/243161/12470588-ep-233-gripfighting-from-the-top-feat-chris-the-villain-paines

This podcast has got me considering a complete rebuilding of my jiu jitsu.

It's broadly about focusing on the most important ideas of playing an 'on top' game, and always just getting up if you're not being pinned, but there is more in there with ideas about mindset, how to train and instruct etc.

There's a little bit of fluff for the first 5-10 minutes, but once Chris starts on concepts it's solid for the rest of the runtime.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I’ve posted about it before but their premium service is worth the $$ just for the rolling review and discord access. Good podcast as well.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

starkebn posted:

https://podcast.bjjmentalmodels.com/243161/12470588-ep-233-gripfighting-from-the-top-feat-chris-the-villain-paines

This podcast has got me considering a complete rebuilding of my jiu jitsu.

It's broadly about focusing on the most important ideas of playing an 'on top' game, and always just getting up if you're not being pinned, but there is more in there with ideas about mindset, how to train and instruct etc.

There's a little bit of fluff for the first 5-10 minutes, but once Chris starts on concepts it's solid for the rest of the runtime.

I haven't listened yet but that sounds a lot like some of the concepts he talked about during the seminar I went to earlier this year. I really liked it. Thanks for posting, I'll listen to this later.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Anyone thats played Fantasy Football/Baseball/etc might be interested in this for the upcoming Worlds.

Clicky

There are some prizes being offered by BJJ Fanatics

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Just what we need, normalising gambling in the sport. Should take us to the next level.

No shade on you though, I'm just sad to see BJJ Fanatics start going that way. Maybe that's not their intention, I'm just cynical.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

Just what we need, normalising gambling in the sport. Should take us to the next level.

No shade on you though, I'm just sad to see BJJ Fanatics start going that way. Maybe that's not their intention, I'm just cynical.

Im surprised there already isnt gambling on stuff like adcc.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't call it gambling. it's free to enter. There isn't any actual wagering.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is not gambling per se since its just bracket predictions, but it certainly is part of gambling culture etc. that can lead to the normalization of it within bjj which is just...dumb

at best, its like your march madness brackets. which can also serve as a throughway/method for gambling in general

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Yeah, I was meaning more of a gateway to gambling. You're "investing" more in who you want to win. Why not out a little money on it to make it even more special?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/JackSlackMMA/status/1663112817241739264

guy who taps to the heelhook and then tries to hit/kick his opponent after tapping is also a new UFC signee etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ah, I "love" the old single tap you convince yourself wasn't real. I saw that a couple times at my last tournament...coaching 10 year olds.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol what a child.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wow that's pathetic

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
That amish guy has a real temper issue

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Allegedly what it was about is that the Russian guy came up to the other dude beforehand and told him, in Russian, "don't do heel hooks I have to do some MMA" and the English guy was like "what I don't speak Russian" and then the Russian guy was mad that he broke the "Agreement".

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Don’t sign up for a competition that allows heel hooks if you don’t want to get heel hooked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah that's a roll conversation, not a tournament one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Allegedly what it was about is that the Russian guy came up to the other dude beforehand and told him, in Russian, "don't do heel hooks I have to do some MMA" and the English guy was like "what I don't speak Russian" and then the Russian guy was mad that he broke the "Agreement".

Man I hope this is true

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

If its true I think the dude shouldn't be allowed to fight because dude is obviously brain damaged if he entered an ADCC comp thinking he could get a gentlemans agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Been researching gyms in my area to get back into bjj or something, but I'm not sure what to look for exactly. Realized my first gym may have actually been sort of... not great. 15 min warm ups, instructor shows one sequence, then we drill and then roll. 50/50 if he really came around to give pointers, usually rolled with his favorite students himself the whole time. Most rolls with everyone were like fights to the death.

Any red flags I should watch out for?