Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You also can't separate anything you built with auto-build (unless you're using parts in the area). Anything it generates out of Zonaite is stuck as one piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Zore posted:

You also can't separate anything you built with auto-build (unless you're using parts in the area). Anything it generates out of Zonaite is stuck as one piece.

Ahhhh that resolves all those neat item dupe ideas

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Harriet Carker posted:

You’ll all be very pleased to know I got the glider today and am having a lovely time.

Are there any other “you REALLY should do X before wandering off into the world” type things? I hope after this I can avoid guides and spoilers and just explore.

You should get the camera (talk to Robbie) because some quests ask you to take pictures. And then, I wouldn’t call this a “REALLY” should because it’s not strictly necessary, but I would encourage unlocking the last ability. To do that you should go back down to the chasm by Lookout town, the camera quest will have sent you there already. Find the statue they wanted a picture of and start following that chain of statues through the depths. You’ll eventually reach an abandoned mine that will give you the last ability.

You get explicitly pointed there after you do a temple, but you can always go do it. It’s also not until you’ve done a temple that Robbie offers to unlock a few extra utilities like the radar, so I guess the “optimal” path is to go get the glider and the camera and then do a temple straight after, then start loving around doing whatever.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Played a little more today and finished up the Rito area plot line. A few thoughts on that and a couple of minor things I’ve found

The wind temple boss was super easy but also super cool conceptually. It was nice that there are two different ways to kill it but maybe they should have just stuck with one (dive bombing) or made it take a lot more arrows or whatever to kill it from underneath. Anyway, it was very cool. The traversal power is cool but I’m wondering if I can turn it off so I don’t always have the ghost bird following me around.

Met some dorks who got me started on a quest to locate the Fierce Deity gear from majoras mask. My Chemical Link lookin rear end deity IMO but that sounds fun.

I met a lady in a well who gave me a quest to locate all the wells. I’m down for this but this is probably the first thing between this game and BOTW that felt like Ubisoft “find all these bafmodads” filler. I like the wells and will happily pop into them but talk about filler.

I have not attempted to build a single non-raft vehicle yet. I want to try and make a hovercraft. I am not a mechanically inclined sort so it’s gonna be difficult

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Pirate Radar posted:

You get explicitly pointed there after you do a temple, but you can always go do it. It’s also not until you’ve done a temple that Robbie offers to unlock a few extra utilities like the radar, so I guess the “optimal” path is to go get the glider and the camera and then do a temple straight after, then start loving around doing whatever.

i don't know what i did differently, but i couldn't get robbie to gently caress off back to hateno until i'd gotten the depths quest finished with josha. i had 3 temples done before then, so i don't think it's based off of finishing a temple. and yes i was checking after every temple

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gnossiennes posted:

i don't know what i did differently, but i couldn't get robbie to gently caress off back to hateno until i'd gotten the depths quest finished with josha. i had 3 temples done before then, so i don't think it's based off of finishing a temple. and yes i was checking after every temple

Right, I should have phrased that better—he should gently caress off back to Hateno after you find the mine and fight Kohga, which you get the quest for after doing a temple, but you can just go do whenever. If you go get Autobuild and fight Kohga before doing a temple, then after you do a temple and come back to talk to Josha she’ll ask you to go do what you’ve already done and Link will automatically explain he’s way ahead of her. Then Robbie should start offering the other stuff.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The SomethingAwful Forums > Games > The Legend of Zelda: It was hell. This game rules.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The traversal power is cool but I’m wondering if I can turn it off so I don’t always have the ghost bird following me around.

As the game explains, you can activate the item in your key items menu to disable it.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

The traversal power is cool but I’m wondering if I can turn it off so I don’t always have the ghost bird following me around.

There's a key item you can use to dismiss your ghost companions

E: beaten

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Along those lines, I was very surprised when I beat a second dungeon and now I just have two ghost buds hanging out with me rather than having to choose one
Now I have to wonder if that'll just keep progressing as I go along :stonklol:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'd agree with this more if they put a control stick somewhere on or shortly after the tutorial island-- it felt exceptionally dumb to be in the explicitly nuts and bolts game with "pieces of a wood car" sitting every 10 feet, but you can go for hours without the ability to actually control a car (and actively dissuaded me from making one in the first place) if you don't happen to go to the right gumball machine in the sky. This game is 95% brilliance and 5% "I honestly don't understand why you did it that way, especially when I can immediately identify a better way of doing it", it's really wild

My 5% are all "activating sage when I don't want to" or the opposite, not finding them when I need them. Definitely could've been a doad thing or some sort of choose ability rather than cluttering up with the whole goon squad. They're nice for picking off weak enemies or distracting mobs but nothing in this game has bothered me at all besides how goddamn often I accidentally activate bird, who probably should even spawn if I'm on foot, followed by blowing something up. Thunder is 2 step and Sidon is never anywhere to be seen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Played a little more today and finished up the Rito area plot line. A few thoughts on that and a couple of minor things I’ve found

The wind temple boss was super easy but also super cool conceptually. It was nice that there are two different ways to kill it but maybe they should have just stuck with one (dive bombing) or made it take a lot more arrows or whatever to kill it from underneath. Anyway, it was very cool. The traversal power is cool but I’m wondering if I can turn it off so I don’t always have the ghost bird following me around.

Met some dorks who got me started on a quest to locate the Fierce Deity gear from majoras mask. My Chemical Link lookin rear end deity IMO but that sounds fun.

I met a lady in a well who gave me a quest to locate all the wells. I’m down for this but this is probably the first thing between this game and BOTW that felt like Ubisoft “find all these bafmodads” filler. I like the wells and will happily pop into them but talk about filler.

I have not attempted to build a single non-raft vehicle yet. I want to try and make a hovercraft. I am not a mechanically inclined sort so it’s gonna be difficult

I assumed the boss would drop poo poo on me from below so I always stayed above it. Armouring it from below is a good idea because I have seen some players entirely miss the dive-bombing aspect which was the whole thing that made that boss so fun. Plus if you want to use arrows, instead of trying to awkwardly aim up, it has an entire face where it perfectly presents it's weak spots to you horizontally for easy kill shots of whichever circles you didn't divebomb. It's easily doable in one cycle for each phase making you only have to deal with the wind once.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

Naw, it's still a great design and decision, thematically and mechanically. Great designs can't be for everybody all the time, inherently gonna run some folks the wrong way by pushing further in any given direction.

The first good purpose it serves is a check if you're paying attention, and to signpost for people assuming it's just more BotW that hey -- hey this isn't BotW where you get every cool toy out the gate, and that where you choose to go and when actually kind of matters. You can still go gently caress off or whatever other habit or wild hair you have, but just letting you know this isn't a "go anywhere because it's all the same and doesn't matter" game.

Second, once you hit the ground, you don't have immediate access to the old "climb up and glide somewhere" easy way of scooting around. Climbing is often not the best way up, and paragliding is comparatively slow compared to new options.

Third, you're never without a glider in the game, as they introduce and give you gliders from the getgo, which are faster than paragliding and can go so far so efficiently they had to just beef them by making them delete themselves after a minute, otherwise you could cross the entire nap with one glider, or stay permanently afloat with fanglider.

Third, it gives the most obstinate player both the opportunity to have to be clever using other tools sans paraglider, and for the player who becomes annoyed at lack of glider because of their own choices, it provides an incentive for them to go do the classic Zelda game Nintendo put in here.

also they want to push the player towards Lookout Landing because it’s a central hub town they want you visiting often and it gives you access to a lot of important utilities and quests

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Question: about how many stamina rings do you need to tame the giant horse on Hateno Beach? I have nearly two full ones but that wasn’t enough

Kind of late, but both Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom handle taming horses the same way or close enough: (spoiler just in case you don't want to know how it works) You just have to press the soothe button enough times. Something in the 20-30 range iirc. If you mash fast enough it's possible to tame any horse with base stamina.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Has door gunner sounds
https://i.imgur.com/Xlf0hsQ.mp4

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decide I wanna spend some more time in The Depths and I'm exploring in the southwest...

Why the gently caress is a Coldera down here just a whole rear end dungeon boss excuse me????

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol this "vehicle" that cant move but the guy trying to panic drive anyway

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Khanstant posted:

He's a chump! A free loot balloon reward after dealing with the awful hands. You just have to be brave and tank a little bit of gloom at first. Every time you him the gloom around him shrinks and he seems to take more damage and stagger more. You basically just need to get up in his rear end ASAP and start smacking. His attacks all have really long telegraphs that make them easy to flip into a flurry rush or just dodge or block. Just smack him around until he starts winding up, dodge and repeat cycle and he goes down fast. Do not give him space or panic and run around or try to use a bow or anything fancy. It's a classic sword vs sword deal, like fighting a stalfos but it doesn't really block.

The weapons he drops are amazing for wiping bosses very quickly, single phase in some cases. Especially on the surface where the gloom drawback doesn't matter.

Oh man, thanks for the tactics advice! I'll try it out next time!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You can't autobuild a usable weapon
maybe you can't.
https://twitter.com/liccnuke/status/1657720211255222273

(ive already posted this but it deserves to get posted again because its genuinely :allears:)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The new electric armor bonus seems fabulously worthless

Oh gee, an attack buff for a rare and irritating weather condition. Great.

Also mob parts must drop off MMO rules or something because I have a dire lack of Moblin/Boss Bokublin parts and I've killed a ton of them. I don't sell parts or really make elixirs so I don't know what happened to their non-teeth bodyparts.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Khanstant posted:

My 5% are all "activating sage when I don't want to" or the opposite, not finding them when I need them. Definitely could've been a doad thing or some sort of choose ability rather than cluttering up with the whole goon squad. They're nice for picking off weak enemies or distracting mobs but nothing in this game has bothered me at all besides how goddamn often I accidentally activate bird, who probably should even spawn if I'm on foot, followed by blowing something up. Thunder is 2 step and Sidon is never anywhere to be seen.

You can dismiss your spirit pals and resummon them again whenever you want (just use their key item in the menu)

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Decide I wanna spend some more time in The Depths and I'm exploring in the southwest...

Why the gently caress is a Coldera down here just a whole rear end dungeon boss excuse me????

I think every dungeon boss also appears at least twice in the Depths as optional bosses after you’ve beaten their temple. They may be simplified versions—the Fire Temple boss is phase 1 only for instance. They’re guarding cool loot and also drop good fusable parts.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Just finished my second dungeon and much like with BotW the main questline is the most boring part of the game so far. It's better than the divine beasts, sure, but I'm guessing the remaining two will also involve find 4-5 doohickies to use your companion ability on to open the boss door, fight an easy boss and watch almost the exact same cutscene as the previous 2. Hopefully if I skip the "becoming a sage and giving Link their power" cutscene it doesn't skip the scene after showing the region/town getting better.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The reason nobody remembers Link is most of them never met him. Canonical Link is stasis-happy 1:25:48 All Dungeons% speedrunner Link.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Played with what you unlock at tarrey toen. then I heard of a neat underground thing on Twitter and figured I could spend ten mins on that and call it a night. Did it, then went "ooo that looks neat" for two hours and now I have the master sword. This game is so loving cool.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Argue posted:

The reason nobody remembers Link is most of them never met him. Canonical Link is stasis-happy 1:25:48 All Dungeons% speedrunner Link.

It's very weird who does and doesn't remember me. Like Hudson remembers me (and he loving better) and Karson does as well but Bolson doesn't seem to.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I feel like I'm having a really different experience because a lot of people definitely know Link, or at least know of him if they don't know him personally. Most of the Sheikah, Gerudo, Zora, Rito and Goron definitely at least recognize him and do a little double take and there are like half a dozen NPCs I've run into who talk about the famous Swordsman Link without realizing you're him.

Heck the Gazette sidequest is structured around Traci hiding your identity from the Rito guy you're partnered with.

The big sources of people who don't seem to know who you are are the Lurelin diaspora, almost everyone in the stables and bizarrely Hateno considering you have a house there. And honestly Hateno is the real odd one out because the entire village except Symin seems to both know Zelda and have no idea who Link is, which is bizarre considering he's supposedly been her shadow since the Calamity and almost everyone else who recognizes him automatically assumes he's with Zelda when they first run into him because they seemingly always travel together.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 18, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No one recognizes Link with the mullet.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Man, this is such a masterclass in game design and my only complaint is that it's on switch, specifically loading times and how they hamper my will to experiment with random encounters.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Hateno vaguely remembers Link as the guy who got his house stolen by the princess.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

You can dismiss your spirit pals and resummon them again whenever you want (just use their key item in the menu)

I think every dungeon boss also appears at least twice in the Depths as optional bosses after you’ve beaten their temple. They may be simplified versions—the Fire Temple boss is phase 1 only for instance. They’re guarding cool loot and also drop good fusable parts.

Yeah I definitely turn them off when I'm specifically hunting a hard to catch insect or whatever, but the system is pretty awkward either way. Had to run from a gloom Lynel because I took too many whacks trying to get thunder or bomb boy to heed my call as they foolishly chase a sprinting zebra of death.

Also they have full phase versions, and there's usually also a great pedestal clean weapon nearby too to fuse with if you're full.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Zore posted:

I feel like I'm having a really different experience because a lot of people definitely know Link, or at least know of him if they don't know him personally. Most of the Sheikah, Gerudo, Zora, Rito and Goron definitely at least recognize him and do a little double take and there are like half a dozen NPCs I've run into who talk about the famous Swordsman Link without realizing you're him.

Heck the Gazette sidequest is structured around Traci hiding your identity from the Rito guy you're partnered with.

The big sources of people who don't seem to know who you are are the Lurelin diaspora, almost everyone in the stables and bizarrely Hateno considering you have a house there. And honestly Hateno is the real odd one out because the entire village except Symin seems to both know Zelda and have no idea who Link is, which is bizarre considering he's supposedly been her shadow since the Calamity and almost everyone else who recognizes him automatically assumes he's with Zelda when they first run into him because they seemingly always travel together.

Hetsu doesn't recognize you at all which must be very insulting to anyone with a BotW save with Hetsu's Gift on it. He really should award the full suite of inventory slots to anyone who went to that trouble.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

maybe you can't.
https://twitter.com/liccnuke/status/1657720211255222273

(ive already posted this but it deserves to get posted again because its genuinely :allears:)

I just came across an in-game schematic for an automated stationary turret turret that swings boulders from a tire

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just saw a youtube video revealing there's another way to cancel fall damage: if you skydive onto a horse and hit "mount" in time you take no damage. :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's nothing special about the Tunic of Memories is there, no bonus or anything? Doesn't seem worth the 400 souls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Atoramos posted:

Ahhhh that resolves all those neat item dupe ideas

at least there's an easy item dupe for anything you can stick onto an arrow

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a guy blocking one of the entrances to the Hyrule Tunnels that simply refuses to believe you're Link. Even after you talk to the guard captain or whatever for Purah's quest he's just like "There's no way you're Link" :mad:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Onean posted:

If you don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a burner account (or use your own account), and you've got a phone or something else that can connect to WiFi and has a camera, you can go to the Switch's Album and, after selecting an image/video, one of the share options will just straight up let you download it through a couple QR codes. It'll create and connect to a temporary WiFi connection first, then link to a temporary webpage where you download the images/videos.

The lowest-hassle way to get screenshots off your switch is to connect to your PC via USB-C. You then go into Settings on the Switch to enable USB disk mode or whatever and you can just drag and drop them off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/liz_caingcoy/status/1658066785726496769?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Khanstant posted:

There's nothing special about the Tunic of Memories is there, no bonus or anything? Doesn't seem worth the 400 souls.

As far as I can tell it's worse than the Champion's Tunic and is harder to upgrade to boot. So unless you really don't like a shoulder pad and more belts I'd skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
yeah ill just stick with miner armor lol. champion tunic ugly too