Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So this game Gaunt Valkyr got a full release today (it's not on Steam)
https://ember-paw-games.itch.io/gaunt-valkyr

It's a love letter to Nuclear Throne and it's free. I haven't played much but what I have played so far feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

it can't be that bad - my brother made $1,000 playing it.

I have no idea how that’s even possible tbh but last I played it it had the classic mid-2000s F2P shooter thing of paying to rent weapons and all that sort of thing which is something I find pretty awful.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mordja posted:

Lol I just realized that I guess I'm always attracted to the losers. Games I dug:

Hawken
Blacklight Retribution
Fractured Space
Lawbreakers (only played beta, didn't buy)
Section 8: Prejudice
Crysis Multiplayer

Lately my chill out game has been Metal Gear Survive which I’ve actually played quite a bit.

Also thanks to whoever posted about the mega BioWare pack.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

So this game Gaunt Valkyr got a full release today (it's not on Steam)
https://ember-paw-games.itch.io/gaunt-valkyr

It's a love letter to Nuclear Throne and it's free. I haven't played much but what I have played so far feels great.

Thanks for posting this because I sincerely cannot get enough of Nuclear Throne/Gungeon/etc.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Deakul posted:

Oh man a new Starship Troopers fps?

Can't be any worse than the 2005 one right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Sk-fHzXfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZNChfWcJfY

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Orv posted:

I have no idea how that’s even possible tbh but last I played it it had the classic mid-2000s F2P shooter thing of paying to rent weapons and all that sort of thing which is something I find pretty awful.
it was like ten years ago when they ran a short promotion where a random player a day would get $1,000 prize :classiclol:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Countblanc posted:

V Rising just got an incredibly huge patch, overhauling castles, and adding new spells, weapons, two new biomes/maps, legendary weapons, a spell modifier system, and a bunch of other stuff. Game is on sale to celebrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mckoDZzvc-M

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

Thread for anyone interested: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003177&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Ok I bought the game.

Now what?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Mr.Acula posted:

Ok I bought the game.

Now what?

Now you never install or play it. Simply stare at it in your library and wonder why you bought it. This is the way of steam.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SavageMessiah posted:

Now you never install or play it. Simply stare at it in your library and wonder why you bought it. This is the way of steam.
Hey, now, it may be early but you've forgotten a crucial step - buying a bundle and/or redeeming a key for it later on, realizing you already had it, and wondering when and how you got it before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

After asking the thread if it’s worth picking up

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

it was like ten years ago when they ran a short promotion where a random player a day would get $1,000 prize :classiclol:

:mad:

(Nice.)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It's a shame they never added controller support to V Rising. It's the kind of thing I'd end up only playing on the deck

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Looks like that HAWKEN game was just some randoms buying the asset and using AI art to churn out some junk.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I ended up re-buying Shadows of Doubt to give it another shot and it has been nothing but constant game ruining bugs.

I've clipped through the ground while running multiple times, which teleports you back to the ground knocked out with a broken leg, you get taken to the hospital and have to pay 20% of your money for treatment, which passes a bunch of time - hope you didn't have anything important to do!

I took an odd job to steal some documents and the person who hired me gave me a briefcase full of leads. I equipped the briefcase and opened it and I could see that there were various items inside but I couldn't figure out how to interact with them, and dropping or unequipping the briefcase would just close it again. Then I accidentally left clicked while looking vaguely at a dumpster which placed the briefcase in the dumpster. The problem is, this converted it to a lead (which I could pin on my detective board) instead of a physical item (which I could pick up to get the important leads out of it), so I was cut off from finishing that odd job.

I solved one murder but it was only because I found the murderer T-Posing in the middle of the street holding a gun

I haven't been able to play it for more than ~5-10 minutes without something like this cropping up. I have not even been able to attempt to complete an odd job or a murder investigation legitimately in 2.6 hours of playing. Too late to refund it again it but it has been uninstalled, good riddance :argh:

Estel
May 4, 2010
It's weird and a pity, I have maybe 10 hours played and the only real bug I've found is going into a vent and appearing outside the building.

Edit: Have you tried generating a new world? Could it be possible that the world generation was bugged?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I took an odd job to steal some documents and the person who hired me gave me a briefcase full of leads. I equipped the briefcase and opened it and I could see that there were various items inside but I couldn't figure out how to interact with them, and dropping or unequipping the briefcase would just close it again. Then I accidentally left clicked while looking vaguely at a dumpster which placed the briefcase in the dumpster. The problem is, this converted it to a lead (which I could pin on my detective board) instead of a physical item (which I could pick up to get the important leads out of it), so I was cut off from finishing that odd job.

When you open a briefcase you get some leads on your corkboard. You don't get any items. You can just open the briefcase once and then throw it away.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Granted I haven’t played the game yet, but not being able to take items out of a briefcase is pretty unintuitive, I get being confused by that.

Any word on when Shadows will be coming out of EA?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any word on when Shadows will be coming out of EA?

The developer says that their plan is 6 months in EA.
I wouldn't expect any less than 12 at least.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The timeframes devs initally put on their EA page have no relation to any measurable reality whatsoever, it's really best to just ignore them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried on both the default pre-gen world and one I generated myself and had problems on both. Overall I am not too upset because I have had great performance in a lot of games recently that lots of other people had trouble with (like Darktide for example) so oh well

For what it's worth I tried submitting for a refund again with 3 hours played and it was approved so no harm no foul :kiddo: The game does seem like it would be really cool if it works so I'll keep it wishlisted for when it's out of EA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

dishwasherlove posted:

Looks like that HAWKEN game was just some randoms buying the asset and using AI art to churn out some junk.

Oh they're "Hawken" all right... hawken a bunch of crap!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh doc, your iPad is backwards

I think the most realistic issue with AI art is in these marginal cases, where an illustrator might make 50 or 100 bucks for some art on a column or some pieces for an indie game. I don't think we're going to have any AI art AAA games or MTG cards.

Assuming it gets better than that, which I am, there's winners and losers, there are going to be small devs for whom avoiding the cost of art allows them to make games that otherwise they could not. But there are a lot of low-level, or starting-out illustrators who are going to lose opportunities.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 18, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

in the future, ipads have screens on both sides, and 2 inch thick bezels

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Must be a flip model.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Me, I'm wondering what the hell is going on with the background.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Me, I'm wondering what the hell is going on with the background.

Hospital stuff. You know, tubes and poo poo. Monitors.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: Nevermind

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 5, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Death Stranding is free this week on Epic Store https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/death-stranding

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

in the future, ipads have screens on both sides, and 2 inch thick bezels

Bring bezels back, it's so hard to tap things on the far edges of my phone. And also sometimes my palm hits things when I'm trying to reach something on the far left of my phone with my right thumb :mad:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Sab669 posted:

Bring bezels back, it's so hard to tap things on the far edges of my phone. And also sometimes my palm hits things when I'm trying to reach something on the far left of my phone with my right thumb :mad:

Bezels help with swipe gestures on phones with cases. Give me like a 1/4-1/2" bezel on the Pixel 8, please!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mordja posted:

Lol I just realized that I guess I'm always attracted to the losers. Games I dug:

Hawken
Blacklight Retribution
Fractured Space
Lawbreakers (only played beta, didn't buy)
Section 8: Prejudice
Crysis Multiplayer

To talk about similar names, I thought you were talking about a cool space shooter I was really into for a while called Shattered Horizons which is like a thesaurus'd Fractured Space.

For what it's worth I also bought, played, and enjoyed Brink quite a bit.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Death Stranding is free this week on Epic Store https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/death-stranding

Again? They did that not that long ago. It's still not even the director's cut edition :mad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Very good post, and you're correct I think, but I'm talking about people freaking out about some incel stemlord typing in "good alien art" and it turning out a complete comic book

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

zoux posted:

Hospital stuff. You know, tubes and poo poo. Monitors.

Yeah but they apparently built the hospital on a sinkhole.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Formulaic genre writers are terrified that some day it’ll be AI creating “man is the real monster” plot lines

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Anyone remember Arc Raiders? It was announced as a co-op TPS with an emphasis on emergent physics combat against giant robots and had a pretty showy reveal a couple years back. Welp, it's an extraction shooter now, which seems like a bad idea but we'll see.
The biggest issue I have with most of the Extraction Shooters I've tried is there's never any game incentive for more Established players not to be jerks.
Most of these games have Factions you have to do missions for and grind up rep so here's an idea to cut down a lil bit on the Noob Slaughter:
-If you're doing a Blue Force mission you're not allowed to shoot any Blue Force players also on the map. You lose rep if you do. Turn that mission in and pick up a mission for the Red Force, now can't shoot Reds unless you select a different one.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, in "I'm sorry, what?" news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rByUJRGccWE

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Paging resident indie expert The 7th Guest, Fanatical just released this bundle hours ago and I don't know a single of those games, even though I try to keep up with new stuff. Let us know what are your favorites and stuff you heard good things about.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Games Showcase 2023

This event technically isn't part of Summer Games Fest (which apparently starts next week with Sony's showcase next week) so I didn't create the thread for that yet. This still had all the typical language of a Summer Games showcase, just focused on one single publisher. The event started with the president of Humble's charity initiatives talking about the various charity and relief efforts they're involved in. They're nearing having raised $250M in charity over the life of the company.

- Wizard of Legend 2 announced, developed by Dead Mage (Children of Morta). the game is now a Humble-owned IP. In 3D this time.

- Brief amount of Monaco 2 footage shown, mostly level design, not really gameplay. In pre-alpha at the moment.

- #BLUD has been picked up by Humble Games. Has absolutely incredible and fluid 2D animation. Targeting 2024

- Breeze in the Clouds picked up by Humble and the Black Dev Games Fund. A mix of platforming and brawling with elemental-based attacks and a focus on combos. Music recorded by an actual big band with new jack swing and latin jazz/samba influence.

- Stray Gods previewed, with a release date of August 3rd. A musical CYOA about a woman who develops the powers of a muse, and has to solve the murder of the woman who gave them to her. I didn't care for the demo but I'm sure it will resonate with theater kids. Music seemed way too soft and lacking in any kind of building or dynamics to me. Like it feels like, to me, people who know how to write music for.. a band, but not music for.. a musical.

- Humble is publishing Supraland Six Inches Under, last year's "Supraland 1.5", but that gives me an excuse to talk about Supraworld, the new and actual proper sequel to the original, which got screenshots today.

- Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus revealed, by Squid Shock Studios. A Metroidvania inspired by Japanese folklore, coming 2024.

- Cataclismo revealed, by Digital Sun (Moonlighter). A mix of RTS and tower defense. Build a fortress brick by brick and then defend it. You apparently will have time powers as well. It looks a bit more promising than the League spinoff game they worked on.

- Lost Skies revealed, by Bossa Studios (Surgeon Simulator 1 & 2). A co-op survival game set in the sky with floating islands for 1-6 players. You'll be able to build skyships and pilot them together, which makes me think of Black Skylands.

- No update on Bushiden. Vaporware? No update on Mineko's Night Market but that is still on track for release on September 26th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
BLUD looks cool as poo poo

Edit: yep I'm sold https://www.gamesradar.com/this-dungeon-crawler-feels-like-a-classic-cartoon-network-show-and-i-cant-wait-to-play-it/