Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Even at its worst, at least Scrubs wasn’t longer than 25 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

bobjr posted:

I do wonder if Nate's leaving was changed last second because they talk about how he was fired and it was somewhat expected, only for him to later mention he quit, despite the team doing well and only having a recent loss that looked bad on him.

It being entirely offscreen is just weird see how much focus he was getting.
I think the reason they did it off-screen is so we can't know if he's telling the truth or if Rupert is, but I'm also still weirded out by the fact that he was stalking a waitress and it's being played as cute and not foreshadowing something more sinister, so who the gently caress knows.

Whatever happens, I still have faith they'll stick the landing. I've ugly cried at the end of two Lawrence shows. poo poo, in the case of Scrubs (the original show,) I ugly cry every time.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

Probably like his tantrum in the s2 finale but with food

Yes, the idea is that they didn't even need to show that part, because that's just his standard MO by this point.i love Sam Richardson, but that character really sucks. Not even in an endearing way.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

That sure felt like a series finale and it would've been a pretty good one.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Data Graham posted:

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

I also thought logistically it was weird, since the people at the end of the table would basically just be sitting and waiting for him to finish flipping the plates of everyone ahead of them before doing their’s. I guess his assistant(s?) could have helped to make it more sudden, it just looked like the end of a food fight except it was one guy making the mess while everyone sat politely

Tweak fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 18, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Cutting away to anyone else's reaction also felt lazy to me. Like, no one is going to argue with her? I don't know much about the football business, but couldn't you make an argument that forming a super league outside of FIFA's monopoly would be good for the sport?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tweak posted:

I also thought logistically it was weird, since the people at the end of the table would basically just be sitting and waiting for him to finish flipping the plates of everyone ahead of them before doing their’s. I guess his assistant(s?) could have helped to make it more sudden, it just looked like the end of a food fight except it was one guy making the mess while everyone sat politely
Rule of Funny always wins.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Remember when this show was about football?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought it was about soccer?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Lister posted:

Cutting away to anyone else's reaction also felt lazy to me. Like, no one is going to argue with her? I don't know much about the football business, but couldn't you make an argument that forming a super league outside of FIFA's monopoly would be good for the sport?

Writing that sounds hard. This season having important conversations happen offscreen feels like Liefield avoiding drawing feet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brain Curry posted:

Writing that sounds hard. This season having important conversations happen offscreen feels like Liefield avoiding drawing feet.

I was gonna say, yeah, this is becoming a pattern. Maybe it's a style but also maybe it sucks

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Data Graham posted:

Okay, I'll take your word for it, I guess I just have some trouble picturing how it would have gone down physically lol

You can see his assistant (who shakes hands for him) wiping his hands as they walk out. So I assume Akufo told him to throw food at them and they sat there for it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SpiderLink posted:

They were all swayed by Rebecca's speech and turned Akufo down. He threw a fit since he's an idiot baby and threw food on all of them.

Given the way the professional handshaker was wiping his hand on the way out I'd like to think Akufo himself didn't physically do it but instead the handshaker went to each one as if the shake their hand and then tipped their plate onto them instead and since rich people are loving morons each one fell for it as he went around the table.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

All the posts about how they threw the food are funnier than anything they could have filmed so at least the show produced something worthwhile.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the episode is non-linear. it was actually nate who burst in to throw the food everywhere while delivering his resignation.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lister posted:

Clubs tried to make that argument a few years ago. It did not go well for them

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Given the way the professional handshaker was wiping his hand on the way out I'd like to think Akufo himself didn't physically do it but instead the handshaker went to each one as if the shake their hand and then tipped their plate onto them instead and since rich people are loving morons each one fell for it as he went around the table.

This still has holes in it, though. Most of the guests have visibly been hit by a projectile trail of food from Akufo's end of the table (even the man sitting to Rupert's right, who should really have been sheltered by Rupert's body). Rebecca has an enormous and liquid splatter impact right across her chest and face, suggesting that she's taken a massive hit from directly in front of her. One guest is clutching the top of his head, suggesting a separate attack from above.

Additionally, the sharing platters along the middle of the table all appear to have been upended and the food dumped out, including the ones down at Rebecca's end of the table, and the platter in the very centre of the table, even though it would have been very awkward and slow to squeeze past the seated victims' chairs to reach it.

The actually sensible explanation here (and I like that this show doesn't hold your hand with the storytelling) is that Akufo's telekinetic powers only manifest when he's angry, which of course means the grand finale is going to be a head-exploding scene of mass murder in the Richmond locker room.

Very excited to see the nay-sayers turn around on this one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

There was an additional thrower by the painting of a grassy knoll

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wrote a post but then I deleted it because it focused on one bad thing and that would undersell how atrocious this episode was.

The plot line about Keeley’s company is some truly deleterious poo poo about how a rich friend solves all problems. The Nigerian national team thing went nowhere. The Super League plot line is wildly patronizing. I feel like the show goes out of its way to piss off people who watch real world football.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What did her company really do though? They only ever showed her hanging out there, also did they not have a lease did they somehow just get office space directly from the VC? If so how did she not know any of this like who even set this up?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I got the feeling that it was a PR company whose sole asset was actually Keeley's celebrity status? but then it turns out that they were just kind of a front cause Jack wanted to get into her pants which to be honest is kind of almost exactly the same thing? what's to stop Keeley for bringing her clients to Richmond games like she always did? Like she's a celebrity, a model that dates footballers, well connected to billionaires who own premier league teams, it's the same thing with Nate really, her company existing in the first place is testament to how successful she is, she can pretty much just keep at it, the plot really barely makes any sense, doing PR for Richmond would by itself be enough to sustain a small agency without the need for any external funding.

the universe of the show is the weirdest, really.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also bankruptcy doesn't work like that. They don't repo your furniture next day. There's an interesting plot almost there in that what we saw could have theoretically been ordered by Barbara on Jack's behalf. I'm choosing to interpret it that way because it makes Barbara competent and makes the snow globe scene way funnier.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
If you drop Keely's plot you basically have time to develop everything else they were trying to do.

Also, I too like Bill Lawrence's body of work.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Show is fine. There is much worse out there. There was a few terrible moments (Keely and Rebecca swaying their heads as Ted does his song was rancid) and it does suck there isn't much focus on the game itself but at least we get to hear about them doing alright. I just hope the last 2 episodes (I believe it's 12, right?) focus entirely on Ted and the team. The Keely stuff went nowhere and it should be wrapped up now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What is the show doing differently now than it did in season 1 that suggests it cares more or less about soccer? I never got the impression anyone cared for verisimilitude, only storytelling. All I can think of is in season 1 it was part of almost every story, while now it's not, but the attitude towards the sport seems identical to me.

The contrast with Scrubs is interesting again here, because I remember hearing about doctors and nurses praising Scrubs for being surprisingly correct in its portrayal of a hospital and medical care. Maybe that was promotional bs, but they seemed to put in the effort to run it by a doctor when they had no need to.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Scrubs did have a bunch of medical advisors; including the eponymous Jonathan Doris (JD) that inspired the shows creation, who overviewed everything about the medical stories in that show. Maybe they have an onsite DFO named Leslie who just sort of says, "yea I mean probably that could happen" whenever soccer related stuff comes up

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
10 wins in row in the premier league would be pretty drat good, basically setting up for a championship run, and yet it just happens in the background

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

First episode of the season that I skipped bits of just to move it along.

Somehow this will all be wrapped up nicely in two episodes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really liked that episode. :shrug:

I know people are talking like the series is wrapping up or heading for a spinoff - but they've specifically said they haven't decided if this is the end haven't they? I remember Nick Mohammed said on the Off Menu podcast the other week that he doesn't know if it'll carry on.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

stev posted:

I really liked that episode. :shrug:

I know people are talking like the series is wrapping up or heading for a spinoff - but they've specifically said they haven't decided if this is the end haven't they? I remember Nick Mohammed said on the Off Menu podcast the other week that he doesn't know if it'll carry on.

my uneducated guess is that negotiations are still live, or at least nothing is considered closed as far a negotiations go, with Apple. Of the core cast, who's interested and who's not interesting in making more in this universe, and what are the actual pitches being considered, dollar amounts, etc.

As a production matter, I think the firmest assumption is Sudekis is done with filming in London and needs to be in the US with his kids. It could be Season 4: Witchita Nights with Ted, et. al or it could be something wildly different or who knows.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sometimes I feel like shows think I just binged the last season and can make callbacks without any reminders of WTF they are referencing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Thinking back about this week's episode, yeah there were a lot of pointless callbacks to past seasons. Must've been some confusing poo poo in there. The Roy-teacher interaction must've been baffling. Ditto Rebecca's monster pose.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Thinking back about this week's episode, yeah there were a lot of pointless callbacks to past seasons. Must've been some confusing poo poo in there. The Roy-teacher interaction must've been baffling. Ditto Rebecca's monster pose.

It was absolutely wild for them to think that interaction with Leann could coexist in an episode where Roy hooks back up with Keely. What are they even doing.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

pokeyman posted:

It felt very weird for Rebecca to intentionally spit tea all over Ted's face for the sake of an inside joke callback.

Like... Ted handed her the customary box of biscuits with clockwork precision and then she intentionally spit tea in his face... wtf.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 19, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

pokeyman posted:

The roy-teacher thing was extremely confusing because I thought it might go "oh hey Roy might let go of the Keeley thing, and the teacher is nice" but nope

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Penitent posted:

It felt very weird for Rebecca to intentionally spit tea all over Ted's face for the sake of an inside joke callback.

Like... Ted handed her the customary box of biscuits with clockwork precision and then she intentionally spit tea in his face... wtf.

I vaguely remembered that this was a reference to something earlier in the show but I couldn't tell you for the life of me what it was. It's an odd decision to end the episode with something that'll confuse a big chunk of the audience.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Another episode made up of very good to great component parts - especially loved the Roy/Keeley reunion although as already noted it was confusing after the flirty scene between Roy and the teacher - that just doesn't add up to a coherent or satisfying whole. It feels more like a sketch show than a syndicated comedy drama now.

Nate leaving West Ham off-screen and for sketchily defined reasons was loving terrible. The scene with his father was well-acted and directed but didn't feel entirely earned as this change of attitude from his father seems to have come out of nowhere.

As has been discussed already, they're really starting to strain the credulity of the football world now. Barely anybody cares about international matches outside of major tournaments, particularly not the late-March international friendlies I assume this episode is based around. A ten-game winning streak with this recently-promoted group of players would be considered a minor miracle and Ted would most definitely start to be sniffed around by bigger clubs.

Ted himself is barely in this episode, sacrificed once again for the Keeley Show which I refuse to believe a single person outside of the creative team gives a flying gently caress about. The scenes with Rebecca and Keeley are starting to feel like that Spinoff Showcase episode of The Simpsons; "Who knows! An old friend from Richmond might just pop by and say hello!"

The Super-League subplot was unbearably patronising and the ending of it was ridiculous in both content and execution.

Rebecca taking the green matchbook out of her handbag just reminded me of that utterly bizarre sideplot with the psychic that just seems to have been dropped without a word. Absolutely no mention of Ted's ex-wive and son either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey, that's just a casualty of editing. All they need is about 40 more minutes of runtime and they can give all those storylines their proper due

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
The cynic in me is convinced that the huge rewrites weren't about Sudeikis suddenly wanting entire storylines and character arcs to be overhauled, but Apple demanding material that sets up the Keeley spin-off and a potential fourth season without Ted himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

The Super League subplot was weird because it’s a real “ripped from the headlines” type of thing and Rebecca’s speech was overly sanctimonious to the point of being almost cringy.

At the same time, though, I also get it why they did, since the actual real world proposed Super League is such a utterly gross and greed-fuel threat to the entire existence of Euro foot as we know it.