Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I almost wonder if Jake thought they might be doing a suicide run into the Fire Giant city despite Murph making it extremely clear that they would loving die and he might end up needing to play Calder that episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
They did Barney dirty

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm gonna need three months off

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

"I think elephants are capable of greater empathy, and therefore would give me a more merciful death."

Little long for a thread title?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

docbeard posted:

I'm gonna need three months off

I was crying at that whole bit. Murph and Caldwell losing it was so good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I cannot believe, I literally cannot believe, I straight up refuse to believe that Jake actually named his newborn daughter Gemma.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NieR Occomata posted:

I cannot believe, I literally cannot believe, I straight up refuse to believe that Jake actually named his newborn daughter Gemma.

Was just coming here to post this, incredible stuff.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

crazy to name your kid after your d&d axe

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm more surprised Tucker and Jill let Jake name the baby.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

well now

https://twitter.com/friede/status/1659379457617022977?s=20

it's just a one shot but still, critical role, i love that for her

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Emily at the CR table has been a dream of mine for a while, but not having Sam, Ashley or Laura there is a missed opportunity for chaos.

Still super excited!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

well now

it's just a one shot but still, critical role, i love that for her

That seems huge tbh, I think CR is still by far the biggest dnd adjacent property right?

Good for her, she's a fantastic player/host/media personality (I guess?) so it's incredibly earned

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Emily is also in the campaign proper for likely several episodes in a row

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Farg posted:

Also Matt Mercer made the mistake of letting her have spells. He may already be regretting it.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Farg posted:

Oh dang I had no idea! I'm still very (VERY) slowly making my way through the second season lol, that's awesome

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

seaborgium posted:

Also Matt Mercer made the mistake of letting her have spells. He may already be regretting it.

yeah, although em isn't some kind of multiclassed nightmare like she often is, just full wizard should be enough for plenty of chaos

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

yeah, although em isn't some kind of multiclassed nightmare like she often is, just full wizard should be enough for plenty of chaos

Yeah that's most of the spells right there anyway; I trust her

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I may need to find a jumping on point just to hear the reaction the first time she declares "I'm casting a spell but I'm not going to tell you what it is"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

docbeard posted:

I may need to find a jumping on point just to hear the reaction the first time she declares "I'm casting a spell but I'm not going to tell you what it is"

you can start from this episode i think

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah that's most of the spells right there anyway; I trust her

Having a flying familiar that can move through things as if it's incorporeal that she can cast spells through? Someone's getting fireballed from the other side of a door at least, if not more hosed up than that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I’ve never listened to CR before and I’m super happy that Emily is getting these super high profile appearances the same way I was super happy for Brennan when he got to dm a cr campaign but boy oh boy can I not listen to any DND actual play that isn’t comedy first. I couldn’t stand friends at the table, fell off TAZ hard when it stopped being gooftown, really disliked this most recent season of D20 that tried (in my opinion, badly) to be a horror campaign, and listening to this most recent episode of CR with being super crunchy about the game mechanics and really serious about character motivations with comedy being secondary over character appropriate roleplaying it just…it never works for me. I’m listening to a bunch of people pretending to be elves and playing DnD, there really has to be some sort of metatextual acknowledgment of how absurd it is to be doing that inherently or the whole exercise comes off as pretentious and lacking soul.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't judge anyone for enjoying that kind of thing (and considering CR is probably the most popular D&D show out there right now I accept that I'm probably the weird one) but yeah I'm in the same boat. My wife really likes CR and tried to get me into it but I just can't, it needs to be funny first and foremost for me, otherwise I feel like I'm just watching someone else's D&D session which isn't that fun to me.

Their episodes are also super long and in need of editing imo; I'm kind of struggling through S2 of fantasy high for this reason. It is very funny, and does have all the things I like about a good comedy D&D show, but it's also live and mostly unedited, and includes a lot of stuff the audience probably doesn't need to hear, especially in combat-heavy episodes. Also it starts prior to 2020, but ends in it, and I looked ahead and can see that they finished the campaign remotely, which brings me back to a place i don't want to go to

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair it’s just the finale and I think season 2 of fantasy high is worth it, and without getting into spoilers the specific setup for how the finale resolves actually makes it so the fact that it’s remote kind of plays into what its storytelling aims are.

Also once you finish fantasy high s2 you can watch The Seven, which is kind of hit or miss in some ways (I feel like Brennan’s PC gets completely shut out and essentially becomes an afterthought of her own party, and the group is super horny in a way that gets actually kind of annoying in that “Jesus Christ stop trying to gently caress literally everything that moves” way a super horny DnD party is), but the highs are really high with genuinely one of the single funniest interactions I have ever seen in any DND show. So it’s worth powering through s2 for that at least.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

To be fair it’s just the finale and I think season 2 of fantasy high is worth it, and without getting into spoilers the specific setup for how the finale resolves actually makes it so the fact that it’s remote kind of plays into what its storytelling aims are.

Also once you finish fantasy high s2 you can watch The Seven, which is kind of hit or miss in some ways (I feel like Brennan’s PC gets completely shut out and essentially becomes an afterthought of her own party, and the group is super horny in a way that gets actually kind of annoying in that “Jesus Christ stop trying to gently caress literally everything that moves” way a super horny DnD party is), but the highs are really high with genuinely one of the single funniest interactions I have ever seen in any DND show. So it’s worth powering through s2 for that at least.

That's good that it's just the finale at least, for some reason i thought I saw a few zoom windows in the thumbnails towards the end of the season. I reckon I can just power through one episode.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Ainsley McTree posted:

I don't judge anyone for enjoying that kind of thing (and considering CR is probably the most popular D&D show out there right now I accept that I'm probably the weird one) but yeah I'm in the same boat. My wife really likes CR and tried to get me into it but I just can't, it needs to be funny first and foremost for me, otherwise I feel like I'm just watching someone else's D&D session which isn't that fun to me.

I think there are two things that keep me bouncing off CR--the lack of comedy, but also the party size.

Like, at the end of the day it is probably more the characters than the jokes that make me stay with NADDPod, but that's something that takes time to build. Trying to listen to CR has always felt kind of like going to a party where you don't know anyone but everyone else knows each other--like, maybe I'd come to like these people if I spent enough time with them, but for now this is just kind of awkward and boring. I think a lot of the power of comedy RPG podcasts is that they hook you with the dick jokes, but then make you stay with the charming characters.

The other thing I've noticed is that I just can't deal with large cast sizes. Three people is perfect--there are enough player configurations that things keep fresh, but it's small enough that they can all be in the same conversation at the same time and keep the momentum up. I tried listening to The Unsleeping City and, even though I already loved a lot of the players, I just couldn't deal with it--there were just too many unrelated things going on at any given time to the point where the pacing just totally lost me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think Dimension 20 specifically dodges that problem only because they have the exact same cast of seven for their “main campaigns” and the almost always end up playing variants on a theme - Ally will play someone who is queer, often trans, and they will make a bunch of anachronistic references and have insane luck, Siobhan will play a caster (or caster variant) who has difficulty connecting with others in some way, Emily plays someone or something with spells and is usually the biggest wildcard of the group, Lou plays a cool fighter black dude, Zac plays someone who is dumb and strong and is usually easily misled, and Murph plays the honorable straight man who is usually a fighter type (and often works in direct support of Emily). It becomes a lot easier to parse once you realize that no matter the setting or the campaign everyone plays pretty much the same sort of character in all of them, and the times they don’t are usually specifically commentaries or inversions of the characters they “usually” play.

I do agree however that Critical Role absolutely falls into that problem partially because the cast size is huge but I think more than that their philosophy is that they have a bunch of actors acting, so they assume roles, as opposed to D20 (and to a much more obvious extent, NADDPOD) viewing it as essentially a fantasy sketch show. Like, if you watch sketch shows/improv, any sort of role-based comedy with groups of people, they fall onto easy characters and have specific roles they play, from stuff like ITSYL to Mr. Show to everything in between, even SNL. It’s easier for comedy to work when the audience is already primed for the “type” of character people play no matter the situation they are in, so you get stuff like no matter what campaign setting D20 is set the main group kind of always plays similar characters, or stuff like NADDPOD having Emily play the queer hypersexual wild card, Jake the put-upon straight man, and Caldwell playing the weird little guy. It creates a common language to make the comedy easier to digest.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 24, 2023

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Murph plays the honorable straight man who is usually a fighter type (and often works in direct support of Emily)

i disagree: murph is a mall goth/nasty little rat, all other characters are just attempting to hide from this true nature

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 24, 2023

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

NieR Occomata posted:

I do agree however that Critical Role absolutely falls into that problem partially because the cast size is huge but I think more than that their philosophy is that they have a bunch of actors acting, so they assume roles, as opposed to D20 (and to a much more obvious extent, NADDPOD) viewing it as essentially a fantasy sketch show.

I think maybe that's what it is for me yeah. For something like D&D, which carries with it an inherent amount of silliness, I need the show to be able to step back and say "this is ridiculous" and accentuate the fun of it, the roleplaying itself isn't that much of the draw for me. Maybe CR does do this, to be fair I haven't listened to more than an episode before deciding it's not my type of show, but naddpod etc does it better

eke out posted:

i disagree: murph is a mall goth/nasty little rat, all other characters are just attempting to hide from this true nature

Every now and then i'll remember the phrase "i'm a spicy little rat, and if you corner me i'm gonna bite ya", which is a paraphrasing of something murph said in a short rest once, and chuckle sensibly. I also enjoy how much he likes being a heel, the trinyvale live shows have been very fun

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

There's funny moments in critical role, but it can't be emphasized enough just how much more crunchy it is due to the live nature and therefore lack of editing

It's for sure not for everyone. I mostly enjoy it, but I also have to be in the right mood so I don't watch it super often. It's also just insanely long

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Hello all. I made a feedback thread for RGD. Since this sub might be full of people who live in their bookmarks, I am linking it in here too. Come tell me about RGD.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

NieR Occomata posted:

I think Dimension 20 specifically dodges that problem only because they have the exact same cast of seven for their “main campaigns” and the almost always end up playing variants on a theme - Ally will play someone who is queer, often trans, and they will make a bunch of anachronistic references and have insane luck, Siobhan will play a caster (or caster variant) who has difficulty connecting with others in some way, Emily plays someone or something with spells and is usually the biggest wildcard of the group, Lou plays a cool fighter black dude, Zac plays someone who is dumb and strong and is usually easily misled, and Murph plays the honorable straight man who is usually a fighter type (and often works in direct support of Emily). It becomes a lot easier to parse once you realize that no matter the setting or the campaign everyone plays pretty much the same sort of character in all of them, and the times they don’t are usually specifically commentaries or inversions of the characters they “usually” play.

I do agree however that Critical Role absolutely falls into that problem partially because the cast size is huge but I think more than that their philosophy is that they have a bunch of actors acting, so they assume roles, as opposed to D20 (and to a much more obvious extent, NADDPOD) viewing it as essentially a fantasy sketch show. Like, if you watch sketch shows/improv, any sort of role-based comedy with groups of people, they fall onto easy characters and have specific roles they play, from stuff like ITSYL to Mr. Show to everything in between, even SNL. It’s easier for comedy to work when the audience is already primed for the “type” of character people play no matter the situation they are in, so you get stuff like no matter what campaign setting D20 is set the main group kind of always plays similar characters, or stuff like NADDPOD having Emily play the queer hypersexual wild card, Jake the put-upon straight man, and Caldwell playing the weird little guy. It creates a common language to make the comedy easier to digest.

matt besser hypothesized that every good improviser is either a ninja, robot or pirate: ninjas play along but put out insane subtle moves, robots rigidly stick to the “game” and ground the world, and pirates are wackadoo crazy types that constantly throw out weird moves. i would say emily and caldwell are both pirates, jake is a ninja, and murph is a robot

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

NieR Occomata posted:

It's not the same moment, but the Hilda Hilda but from fantasy high s2 is legit one of the funniest things I've seen. Perfectly done weirdo/straight man interaction.

For those who haven't seen it (no real spoilers, I would say): https://youtu.be/QDap5gIPHZw

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

new tan art just dropped

https://twitter.com/caldy/status/1661885287025475585?s=20

all it needs is a theater kid hand squeeze and it's perfect

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

8 bit book club is great. Best intro song too

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Surprised they had a guest on for this. Usually they're just flying trio

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

boy today's episode sure is disgusting!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

it was all over the moment someone said "dip spit"

I'm enjoying the way they're handling Jake's paternity leave. Batch recording a bunch of campaign episodes ahead of time and spreading out their release was a pro choice, it feels good for the pacing of the campaign. Not that I wouldn't have hated another side campaign with new characters and a guest but hey

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

NADDPOD is seeing the short rest episode image
weresonic and knowing I should actually listen to the episode before dessert

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 15, 2023

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Their discussion recently about the best forms of potato didn't include a single mention of roast potatoes and that's messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That short rest was actually less demented than I thought it was going to be.