Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gotta pay the posting tax. Here are some stands of Ultramarines I painted yesterday. They are the first two stands of my complete do-over on my ultramarines. I built and painted my current army in a weekend, to play a tournament. They are not pretty.

These ones I'm pretty happy with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Breaking into the painting phase of my new project - going to do a whole company of 1992-era blood angels.
This is inspired by SRM's ultramarines in the Oath thread (yeah I know that was years ago, whateva)

I've got all the metal and I'm 3d printing the plastic to make something people will fight over when I die.

Next step is decals! :barf:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Under 15 posted:

Breaking into the painting phase of my new project - going to do a whole company of 1992-era blood angels.
This is inspired by SRM's ultramarines in the Oath thread (yeah I know that was years ago, whateva)

I've got all the metal and I'm 3d printing the plastic to make something people will fight over when I die.

These look amazing! I'm loving all the oldhammer painting.

For decals I just used decal fix and decal softener for the first time, it made the process sooooo much more pleasant. I'm planning to use way more decals now.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Really appreciating the commitment to the goblin green base, edge and all.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Under 15 posted:

That is SUPER loving crisp, well done!

Now get some hazard stripes on that boy :getin:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished painting Teostra, the Emperor of Flame.

It's really hard to get good pictures of his wing patterns.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy moly that orange mane POPS! Nice work.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That’s fantastic

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Xpost from 40k thread.

Axetrain posted:

Brutalis Dreadnought completed, working my way through the Agastus Strike Force box.

Desolators next.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really like the strong red on that dreadnought.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks! It’s Pure Red from Army Painter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Two things

1) holy poo poo there's so many gorgeous minis in this thread.

2) Is this the thread for asking painting/modelling advice? I've got an idea for some Space Marine Incursors but I also don't want to clutter the thread if this isn't the thread for that.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Two things

2) Is this the thread for asking painting/modelling advice? I've got an idea for some Space Marine Incursors but I also don't want to clutter the thread if this isn't the thread for that.

Never post about painting or modelling in this thread, only finished works. Where do they come from, how do they appear? Nobody knows.

:justpost:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Two things

I clutter the thread up non-stop and rarely post pics, go for it!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sometimes we post about other things but mostly it’s about white paint and Space Marines!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Here some WIP orcs! First time painting a GW mini, enjoying it so far. My color scheme is inspired by Tidus Hardie and the Union from Disco Elyisum

CC welcome. They're part of a kill team, so I'm not trying to just blitz through them.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 18, 2023

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Never use any actual white paint, just use Liquitex Acrylic White Ink mixed into some glaze medium instead. :pseudo:

I'm only mostly joking around here, as white ink is far and away the best way to airbrush white, whether going for a zenithal prime or actually painting white. Haven't actually tried using it with a medium instead of a white, but that's because GW Apothecary White over a zenithal is good enough for me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Knocked out another marine for my loyalist squad project- this time a blood angel sergeant to lead the gang!
It was supposed to be the space wolves' turn, but when I sat down to paint him, I realised I kind of hated how I'd assembled the model and I'm gonna have to either take him apart or build a new one, so blood angel it was!

Didn't try out any new techniques for this one, just tried to take my time. Feel like I kind of rushed the helmet and that decal is in no way properly attached, but whatever, I'm happy with the results! Once I've finished the entire squad I'm gonna go over the lot and touch them up, so I'll fix that fukken half-attached skull eventually

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished painting Teostra, the Emperor of Flame.

It's really hard to get good pictures of his wing patterns.

It looks great, I especially love the way he blends with the lava features on the base.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Wrr posted:

Here some WIP orcs! First time painting a GW mini, enjoying it so far. My color scheme is inspired by Tidus Hardie and the Union from Disco Elyisum

CC welcome. They're part of a kill team, so I'm not trying to just blitz through them.
That blue really pops! Mind sharing how you achieved that?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Jeff Wiiver posted:

That blue really pops! Mind sharing how you achieved that?

It's a combo of AK Mint Green (AK11143) and VMC Blue Green (70.808). Roughly 50/50ish over a greyish white zenithal. Mixed in a touch of ivory for the highlights.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Can I get some recommendations for lamps. I like the look of those big bar lamps I keep seeing on peoples snazzy setups but that ican see they all run upwards of a hundred for a decent one. I mostly paint at night, sometimes gone midnight.

I was using an incredibly bright bulb of whatever Kelvin matches normal daylight. I painted my silver knights from a dark souls set, thought they looked great under my lights, soft metallic blends and good highlights. When I saw them in daylight it looked like a toddler had painted them with a q tip. Whilst being shaken by an adult.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lethemonster posted:

Can I get some recommendations for lamps. I like the look of those big bar lamps I keep seeing on peoples snazzy setups but that ican see they all run upwards of a hundred for a decent one. I mostly paint at night, sometimes gone midnight.

I was using an incredibly bright bulb of whatever Kelvin matches normal daylight. I painted my silver knights from a dark souls set, thought they looked great under my lights, soft metallic blends and good highlights. When I saw them in daylight it looked like a toddler had painted them with a q tip. Whilst being shaken by an adult.

I've been liking this one for $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R3HB3QB/

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I use one like this at work, no complaints. For minis I really like my ring lamp with a magnifying glass. It has adjustable brightness so you can avoid painting super bright. I just moved so it isn't here, so I can't tell you the make and model.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Two ikea tertials to the left and right of your workspace with daylight bulbs and you’ll have a much brighter, even light. A single XL ott light is wonderful, but pricey.

https://www.goonhammer.com/your-desk-sucks-making-a-better-workspace/

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
That was my setup. Maybe I simply need to save painting the shiney bois for the daytime with more ambient lighting.

Oh yus I managed to get the feet to stay on this guy and get some photos.

Edit: Apparently I didnt save the original pics and these are screenshots of the photos I saved. Why did I do this.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 19, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

That was my setup. Maybe I simply need to save painting the shiney bois for the daytime with more ambient lighting.

I like to check my work periodically under different lighting conditions, like say normal indoor lighting such that I am likely to play a game under. Quick walk to the kitchen or whatever to see how my contrasting values look when not under the light of a thousand suns.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you find you need more light, and you have the room, I can highly recommend a cheap Chinese soft box that’s designed for product photography to hang above the workspace.
It’ll increase the ambient light a bunch, and remove that problem for you.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Once again, I'm here to recommend the Globe Electric 56963 32" Multi-Joint Desk Lamp as an alternative to the Ikea Tertial. It's available through Amazon and easy to order and set up and a pair of them with appropriate bulbs does the trick. They have metal clamps which I find to be an important feature when it comes to desk lamps.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeast posted:

If you find you need more light, and you have the room, I can highly recommend a cheap Chinese soft box that’s designed for product photography to hang above the workspace.
It’ll increase the ambient light a bunch, and remove that problem for you.

Yeah that softbox might be what I want, the room I'm in is pretty dark in general and the focused lighting is ok, but it still doesn't seem quite bright enough

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Need to tidy this and finish the other two, got some crackle paint setting on the bases. I might look to switch in some Terminator shoulder pads but I just didn't want them in the way here.

I think the red on the plasma guns is a mistake? The orange glow doesn't show against it.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Under 15 posted:

Do you have a link to the plastic portions? I have a bunch of 2nd edition metal space marines that I don't have enough bolters, arms, and back packs for. I was going to mold my own in resin (gravity casting!) but 3d printing would be much more economical.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Did some more xpress painting!

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1659547594635243521

Not a fan of the Xpress Black Lotus color (guy on the left's hair here), it's too bluish and thin.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I have a question for the maestros—
https://youtu.be/YgrlZj-7eRc

How important is what specific colors you’re picking for this type of blending? I’m not sure if it’s necessary that each color have a hue of the previous color or if you can just blend whatever. i was thinking I could go blue to purple to red to orange to lighter orange to white, that should be possible right? or would I be better off just following the video.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're using hobby paints it's a shitshow. If you're using Artist acrylics it can also be a shitshow but at least you know what you're walking into because you can check the pigments on the bottle.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

How important is what specific colors you’re picking for this type of blending? I’m not sure if it’s necessary that each color have a hue of the previous color or if you can just blend whatever. i was thinking I could go blue to purple to red to orange to lighter orange to white, that should be possible right? or would I be better off just following the video.

You can blend anything into anything. What happens when you do that will depend on the magic of COLOR THEORY. If you blend colors on opposite sides of the color wheel, they will cancel each other out and your blends will move towards grey / desaturated colors (this is not good or bad, it just is). If your colors are neighbors on the color wheel, you will only lose a tiny bit of saturation. So in your case, you are moving from neighbor to neighbor to neighbor, so your blends will lose only a tiny bit of saturation in your blends (until you get to the white part, obviously.)

tl;dr: your blends will look great with those colors.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

This dude does a lot of really interesting blends, and discusses shortly why he's using the colours he does and how to transition between them.

https://www.youtube.com/@adrienkentart

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ez8 posted:

Do you have a link to the plastic portions? I have a bunch of 2nd edition metal space marines that I don't have enough bolters, arms, and back packs for. I was going to mold my own in resin (gravity casting!) but 3d printing would be much more economical.

you don't have plat so give me an email address and I will send you a dropbox link. They are scans that I modified to remove mold lines & gates, and I fixed the parts with uneven mold closure or crappy ejection.

edit: or if this isn't a big project I can just sell you some. My buddy is out of resin & on backorder at the moment but he'll get more in eventually

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 19, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Need to tidy this and finish the other two, got some crackle paint setting on the bases. I might look to switch in some Terminator shoulder pads but I just didn't want them in the way here.

I think the red on the plasma guns is a mistake? The orange glow doesn't show against it.

I really love the armor! How messy it looks, makes the character look like they have been through some serious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Your progression starts with purple and travels counterclockwise on this color wheel. Every individual color will look good next to the previous and next one and so the whole thing will look good. If I were doing that I'd have a light yellow as my endpoint instead, though.