Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I noticed someone, Onosho I think it was, tuck a little salt into their mawashi before the bout. I've never seen that before, is that a thing? Anyway it was perfect for him specifically because it was right into the little pocket between the mawashi and his belly button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I noticed someone, Onosho I think it was, tuck a little salt into their mawashi before the bout. I've never seen that before, is that a thing? Anyway it was perfect for him specifically because it was right into the little pocket between the mawashi and his belly button.

He does that every time and it's why I always pick him for my team. Sometimes it poofs out at the tachiai.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

speaking of salt rituals, i was wondering how terutsuyoshi was doing and sadly the answer is 0-2 at makushita 5. dude's only had one kachikoshi since july 2021, gently caress

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Akua is big salt man now I think

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Thauros posted:

speaking of salt rituals, i was wondering how terutsuyoshi was doing and sadly the answer is 0-2 at makushita 5. dude's only had one kachikoshi since july 2021, gently caress
Diabetes is a motherfucker. :smith:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of the things about Hokuseiho is that he's never had a 'real' make-koshi. The only time he failed to get his KK was when he went kyujo on the second day of Kyushu 2021. Other than that he's never put up a score worse than 5-2/9-6 despite his sumo style being "be huge and let them get tired trying to shove you". I think he's mostly got a case of "It's not broken so I'm not fixing it" and he's not going to change things up until he starts losing and has to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got to meet Kaisei at the SuMall booth just a few minutes ago but was too tourist-self-conscious to ask for a selfie. Super nice guy, but I’m imagining no one manning a booth is going to be a dick, so.. :haw:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They're gotta have Asanoyama facing higher ranked guys pretty fast, right? He's not ranked low because of injury recovery or anything so it seems unfair to everyone else to give him a normal set of opponents.

some kinda jackal posted:

I got to meet Kaisei at the SuMall booth just a few minutes ago but was too tourist-self-conscious to ask for a selfie. Super nice guy, but I’m imagining no one manning a booth is going to be a dick, so.. :haw:

lucky

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Shiroc posted:

They're gotta have Asanoyama facing higher ranked guys pretty fast, right? He's not ranked low because of injury recovery or anything so it seems unfair to everyone else to give him a normal set of opponents.

Clearly the script says that asanoyama has to stay undefeated for the first week or else the shimpan wouldn't have done Kotoeko like they did...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc posted:

lucky

he got borderline hosed out of a promotion last basho tho otoh and to me its' also unfair to give him a harder road back to the top than a regular rikishi at m14 would face. there's no perfectly equitable way of handling it but the good thing is that a really strong performance from him should see him back in the joi in july and avoid either situation.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I care less about Asanoyama getting treated slightly unfair because his situation was caused by being horny and stupid. I'd just think they'd want to avoid him being able to grab an 'easy' yusho.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The ranking system only works if you follow the ranking system, is the problem.

Right now the joi are all fighting each other. If you swapped Asanoyama up to put him against, idk, Abi or Ura or Tobizaru or somebody else you might consider a valid opponent for somebody of Asanoyama's skill, then who is their previous opponent going to fight? Right now, those three are facing Daiesho, Terunofuji, and Takakeisho respectively. Letting them dunk on a lower maegashira really isn't any more fair than letting Asanoyama do it.

And if you say "well, he's former ozeki and he's clearly still got it, so we're gonna treat him like he's M1e and we'll book the entire basho like all the maegashira are one rank lower", that's really not fair to Asanoyama, because he'd be getting the hardest schedule despite having no room to fall if the sanyaku gave him a beating.

The way it's working now is the best way to do it imo. It's the least disruptive to the system and he'll be in the joi for July and back in the sanyaku for September as long as he doesn't drop the ball.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
If he gets to around 8 or 9 straight undefeated they're probably gonna book him against some high rankers but that would be the case for anyone doing that well out of his rank, not just because he's Asanoyama

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disappointed that the last time I’ll likely get to see Tochinoshin in person will be a loss. Both days I’ve been here, no less :/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The square on view of Teru's clamps wrapped around Ura was absolutely savage, is it even possible to get out of that? :stare:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The square on view of Teru's clamps wrapped around Ura was absolutely savage, is it even possible to get out of that? :stare:

Depends on how badly you want to keep your arms.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might be biased because I was there but that was an AMAZING day of Sumo.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day5:
Oh man, Ura just running headlong into the arm clamps was... a choice for sure

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 5: Asanoyama is doing well in the first part of his schedule, even if that match with Kotoeko should've been Torinaoshi.

Onosho doing average, as he does. keep tucking that salt my dude!

Kinbozan struggling at his career high rank, hopefully he can recover in week 2 for a KK.

Wakamotoharu: Zensho-Yusho? props to Abi on the assist giving Daiesho a loss today.

Terunofuji: first time watching him fight, big fan of him locking up and muscling out smaller guys and making big boys fall down with seemingly effortless grace.

WMH v Teru is going to be a tough match for me

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Sekiwake are on a tear so far, with most of them possibly up for promotion, it'll be interesting to see how the rest of the tournament shakes out.

I don't remember if it's been brought up in the thread but I stumbled across Sumo coverage on BloodyElbow, the Vox affiliated MMA site. Interestingly enough, they have full day video for the upper ranks and a nice little quick and dirty analysis.
https://bloodyelbow.com/2023/05/17/sumo-natsu-basho-results-replays/

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Oh wow, it's cool they have coverage I didn't realize! Also hilariously their full day videos are just embeds of Natto's videos, so that's an interesting choice.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I didn't realize that they were Natto's videos but that's hilarious. I wonder if there's a certain level of cover doing that given that they are part of a corporate media site.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Tochinoshin is retiring. A sad but not unexpected turn of events.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
RIP sky crane, hope retirement treats him well

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Akiosan posted:

Tochinoshin is retiring. A sad but not unexpected turn of events.

I'm gutted

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Looking up Tochinoshin stuff led me to this picture from the mid 2000s of him and Gagamaru

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This isn’t the greatest moment of Tochinoshin’s career but it’s the one I’ll never forget
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12fHeFA3nGg

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

tochinoshin was one of my faves but sadly the most indelible memory for me was him getting hosed over by the shinpan in a monoii as i was watching at a gate at frankfurt airport

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

It's real sad to see him go out like this but drat if it wasn't about time :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Disappointed that the last time I’ll likely get to see Tochinoshin in person will be a loss. Both days I’ve been here, no less :/

Yikes nailed it :/

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
How big is Kaisei in person? My impression is that he'd feel gigantic but come off as so gentle and friendly that he wouldn't be intimidating at all.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Shiroc posted:

How big is Kaisei in person? My impression is that he'd feel gigantic but come off as so gentle and friendly that he wouldn't be intimidating at all.

I know that's not exactly what you're asking but this might give you an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l206kqgHPGY

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Brut posted:

I know that's not exactly what you're asking but this might give you an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l206kqgHPGY

summary: Kaisei is bigger than Tochinoshin by a lot

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He was seated but yeah, still a big dude lol

Not at ALL intimidating though, super friendly :)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Adding “hug from Kaisei” to my Japan trip wishlist

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
This is one of the videos that got me into sumo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_xmGrDgUA

o7 Tochi

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1659405992231333890

quote:

<Announcement of retirement from Tochinoshin>
Former Ozeki Tochinoshin
(real name Levani Golgadze, Kasugano stable) retired.

https://hochi.news/articles/20230519-OHT1T51073.html

quote:

Former ozeki Tochinoshin retires...35 years old, the first V rikishi from Georgia bids farewell to 17 years of sumo.

◆Sumo Tournament, Summer Tournament, Day 6 (Ryogoku Kokugikan, Tokyo, August 19)

The Japan Sumo Association announced the retirement of former ozeki Tochinoshin (Kasugano), who stepped into the ring for the first time in the 2006 spring tournament, and bid farewell to his 17-year sumo career. On the fifth day of the tournament, he was defeated by Shimadoumi (Houkoma), and lost all five days of the tournament. I didn't think the result would be like this," he said. It's a shame...," he said, his shoulders slumped.

Tochinoshin, a native of Mtsuketa, Georgia, stepped in the ring for the first time in the spring of 2006, became the first Georgian rikishi to win the gift cup in the first tournament of 2006, and was promoted to ozeki after the summer tournament of the same year. He was promoted to ozeki after the summer tournament of the same year. Last tournament, he became the seventh ozeki-ranked rikishi in history to fall from the juryo ranks.

On the fourth day of the first tournament in January this year, he injured his left shoulder in a match against Kotokatsumine (Sadogetake) and was absent the following day after submitting a medical report for a dislocated left shoulder joint. He had experienced numerous injuries in the past, including an anterior cruciate ligament injury in his knee and a torn rotator cuff in his shoulder, but this was the first time he had dislocated his shoulder joint. Before this tournament, he expressed his strong will to continue to wrestle, saying, "I don't know how far I will be able to come back, but emotionally I want to continue to wrestle.

Tochinoshin Tsuyoshi, real name Levani Gorgadze, was born on October 13, 1987, in Mtskheta, Georgia. 35 years old. He was a judo and sambo player in his youth, made his first tournament appearance in the spring of 2006, and made his first tournament win in the summer of 2008. He was promoted to ozeki after the same summer tournament. He won one makuuchi championship. He won the Distinguished Service Medal twice, the Fighting Spirit Medal six times, the Technical Achievement Medal three times, and two gold stars. He won 559 matches, lost 573, and rested 68 days in 80 makuuchi tournaments. His total record is 681 wins, 614 losses, and 106 rests in 102 career bouts. His specialties are right hand four-strikes and uwaza-nage. He enjoys cooking. 192 cm, 176 kg.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 19, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
omg this woman has a sketchbook of hand drawn pictures of her favorite rikishi