Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Where would you rather be working?

You don't want to work for Panda Express

I once applied for for a temp network admin position there, and i was getting major cult vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

You don't want to work for Panda Express

I once applied for for a temp network admin position there, and i was getting major cult vibes

I remember looking at their ads on craigslist a decade ago one of their requirements was to read some dumb motivational\mindset books of the period.

....For helpdesk and networking roles. It's just made up chinese food for christ sake. So yes, your vibes were right on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

anyway I'm going to a nice cabin in the woods for an extra long weekend and by god do I need it. I'm tired of being the only one who knows how computers actually work, rather than cargo-culting trivia heard in 2003

There is such a thing as too much experience.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Jesus Christ, I saw literal fast food in Florida offering $15/hr. That’s insane.

Good luck anywhere that will pay like that AND you get to 40hrs a week.

The $15/hr in retail and fast food is a loving scam. The only people who make decent money off of those places are the franchise owners.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jiro posted:

Good luck anywhere that will pay like that AND you get to 40hrs a week.

The $15/hr in retail and fast food is a loving scam. The only people who make decent money off of those places are the franchise owners.

Same as it ever was.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Diqnol posted:

Counterpoint: HP support

HP Software Support was nice when we got a dedicated TAM and weekly meetings about ticket & change/problem request progress.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
hey user can you take a picture of this for me we need the printer's serial number. (bold red rectangle over the relevant section)

hey user...

hey user...

<4 months later>

is this what you needed?

(a picture of the toner cartridge)

why are c-suites so stupid?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

hey user can you take a picture of this for me we need the printer's serial number. (bold red rectangle over the relevant section)

hey user...

hey user...

<4 months later>

is this what you needed?

that's capitalism, baby

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It means you should never worry about taking on management roles because there's no requirements to meet. As long as you don't lose the company millions of dollars you can keep failing upwards.

Not that I recommend taking on management roles, you will become what you hate. But it is a nice paycheck.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Ugh I started at a job about 6 months ago- it was in the support organization, but was about a 50/50 balance between (decently interesting second tier) tickets and project work. Of course, now we have new organization leadership and the role is moving towards ~90% ticket work, including tier one garbo. Since I was technically too junior to apply, I couldn’t get into the project position and I just feel like I got totally screwed and have ended up in a way more junior role than I have the experience and skills for.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

hey user...

hey user...

<4 months later>

is this what you needed?

My Vice President of Information Technology needs his hand held to install software. It really is amazing how loving dumb they all are

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

Ugh I started at a job about 6 months ago- it was in the support organization, but was about a 50/50 balance between (decently interesting second tier) tickets and project work. Of course, now we have new organization leadership and the role is moving towards ~90% ticket work, including tier one garbo. Since I was technically too junior to apply, I couldn’t get into the project position and I just feel like I got totally screwed and have ended up in a way more junior role than I have the experience and skills for.

That's lovely, I'm sorry that's happening to you. My advice? Start doing the absolute minimal amount of work while using that time to work on yourself. Cert up, apply to new jobs, etc.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://newsletter.pragmaticengineer.com/p/inside-the-datadog-outage

TLDR. We do ops badly

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Anyone have recommendations for patch management solutions? Looking for something to do windows + 3rd party patches and preferably I can utilize it to do other things like push scripts etc, probably around 500 endpoints.

We're reviewing Automox and Qualys offerings, curious of any other recommendations, or opinions on those 2.

End goal is to move to Intune et al but I have never looked into the process when starting from legacy AD, I've done a lot of POCs for folks that are already on AzureAD. Speaking of that, anyone have some good reading on that process?

I started this job a week and a half ago and so much stuff is just really poorly setup and documentation is awful, but thankfully nothing is on fire, everyone is chill and I have (basically) the go ahead to architect how I want, provided we can afford it. We're an NFP so some strings are attached w/r/t money.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 19, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Did you post the Gitlab cloud one too? I feel like that was more egregiously idiotic than this, still tho running k8s on IaaS gross

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

MF_James posted:

Anyone have recommendations for patch management solutions? Looking for something to do windows + 3rd party patches and preferably I can utilize it to do other things like push scripts etc, probably around 500 endpoints.

We're reviewing Automox and Qualys offerings, curious of any other recommendations, or opinions on those 2.

End goal is to move to Intune et al but I have never looked into the process when starting from legacy AD, I've done a lot of POCs for folks that are already on AzureAD. Speaking of that, anyone have some good reading on that process?

I started this job a week and a half ago and so much stuff is just really poorly setup and documentation is awful, but thankfully nothing is on fire, everyone is chill and I have (basically) the go ahead to architect how I want, provided we can afford it. We're an NFP so some strings are attached w/r/t money.

Chocolatey has quite a few fans out there but if you’re rolling out intune soon, it handles windows + office patching perfectly and once they expand the repos that the “new Microsoft store” deployment uses (sometimes this year maybe?!?) you’ll be able to use that for your 3rd party software.

Right now it’s pretty limited.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cyks posted:

Chocolatey has quite a few fans out there but if you’re rolling out intune soon, it handles windows + office patching perfectly and once they expand the repos that the “new Microsoft store” deployment uses (sometimes this year maybe?!?) you’ll be able to use that for your 3rd party software.

Right now it’s pretty limited.

Intune is probably a bit away which is why I need something in the interim. Presently a large portion of our fleet hasn't patched for 7+ months and I have no way to fix that without manually touching each machine which is not going to happen.

Obviously I will have to touch the machines to install whatever software we go with, but I'd prefer to not have to do the manual thing a bunch of times because that's insane.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You don't have to touch them all if they are on a domain and can use GPOs to do installs / run scripts. I wouldn't deploy Automox or Qualysy to then do Intune 6 months later. Maybe PDQ Deploy is worth a look? But more seriously, you can get pretty far with GPOs, Chocolatey, scheduled tasks, etc.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I guess I left out important info hah

Most of our fleet will not hit on-prem resources regularly (or at all once deployed), it's so irregular that I can't rely on GPO/PDQ etc to deal with it, or I'd already have the problem resolved.

Intune is not 6 months away, more likely year+ considering the amount of backlogged work I have to deal with and, like I said, part of that is I need to figure out how to get us from legacy AD -> AzureAD joined/registered/whatever to utilize Intune

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 19, 2023

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

We use Automox and generally don't have problems with it, though I'm pretty hands off

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The big project that was consuming the whole dept hit a major milestone, and because it was so successful, the finance department finally took ownership of the project, which is where it should have been in the first place. So this thing that has consumed nearly every resource for the last 9 months is now out of our hands and has a good chance of success.

So the IT boss is taking this chance to completely change how the whole IT department interacts with the rest of the company, and while I get where he is coming from, and why he is doing it, and it all makes a lot of sense from a management point of view, I dont like what it means for me. Basically, instead of being a typical IT department, we are effectively turning into an internal vendor. So if anyone wants anything done, they need to come to us with a business case and what they need, and we scope it out and lets them know how much its going to cost.

This means im pretty much back to being a consultant. Timesheets, scoping exercises, defined deliverables and all the poo poo I left behind.

Most of it I dont mind, its just the timesheets tbh. I guess I will wait for the actual details to be handed out, because right now I only have a high level overview.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
That’s how every semi functional non-tech company IT department at larger companies I’ve seen has done it. The time cards suck but there isn’t really a better way to track cost allocations that I’m aware of. If you don’t surface that cost to the business you’ll never really understand the full cost of doing everything.

If you’re a small company or towards the smaller side of a midsized company it will probably be a huge waste of time. If you have lots of business units competing for IT’s time it’s useful imo

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

i am a moron posted:

That’s how every semi functional non-tech company IT department at larger companies I’ve seen has done it. The time cards suck but there isn’t really a better way to track cost allocations that I’m aware of. If you don’t surface that cost to the business you’ll never really understand the full cost of doing everything.

If you’re a small company or towards the smaller side of a midsized company it will probably be a huge waste of time. If you have lots of business units competing for IT’s time it’s useful imo

Oh yeah, I totally get that its a good move for the business, and we are big enough that its needed, im just being a selfish dick who doesnt want to gently caress around with timesheets again.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

Oh yeah, I totally get that its a good move for the business, and we are big enough that its needed, im just being a selfish dick who doesnt want to gently caress around with timesheets again.

I hear the kids are doing quiet quitting now. I just called that working.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MF_James posted:

No management agent, no VPN, no nothing? You just have 500 laptops floating around? Crazy.

So hybrid join existing devices is quite easy. They just need visibility to a domain controller and a minimum version of Windows. From there as long as you have Windows Store on clients it's a few clicks to enroll devices into Intune.

PDQ has a non-VPN solution now. https://www.pdq.com/blog/setting-up-pdq-to-work-with-remote-workers/

Automox was fine when I used it.

Either way, sounds like you've got a lot of problems to solve!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MF_James posted:

Most of our fleet will not hit on-prem resources regularly (or at all once deployed), it's so irregular that I can't rely on GPO/PDQ etc to deal with it, or I'd already have the problem resolved.

Intune is not 6 months away, more likely year+ considering the amount of backlogged work I have to deal with and, like I said, part of that is I need to figure out how to get us from legacy AD -> AzureAD joined/registered/whatever to utilize Intune

It won’t solve everything, but configure and enforce auto updates for anything that will take it. WUFB and browser auto updates will take you a long way, and then you can figure out what agent you need for the third party stuff.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jaegerx posted:

I hear the kids are doing quiet quitting now. I just called that working.

I managed expectations like a boss when I first started here, and i run at about 60% capacity as is.

Gives me enough time to work on my side hustle / volunteer work during the day as well.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I managed expectations like a boss when I first started here, and i run at about 60% capacity as is.

Gives me enough time to work on my side hustle / volunteer work during the day as well.

eros.com?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

jaegerx posted:

eros.com?

I was it was that classy

MF_James
May 8, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It won’t solve everything, but configure and enforce auto updates for anything that will take it. WUFB and browser auto updates will take you a long way, and then you can figure out what agent you need for the third party stuff.

Yeah I'm not worried about the on-prem stuff at all, that's easy pz to at least catchup, management wants reports but at the least I can GET the patches done and then figure out from there how to get some sort of reporting.

Internet Explorer posted:

No management agent, no VPN, no nothing? You just have 500 laptops floating around? Crazy.

So hybrid join existing devices is quite easy. They just need visibility to a domain controller and a minimum version of Windows. From there as long as you have Windows Store on clients it's a few clicks to enroll devices into Intune.

PDQ has a non-VPN solution now. https://www.pdq.com/blog/setting-up-pdq-to-work-with-remote-workers/

Automox was fine when I used it.

Either way, sounds like you've got a lot of problems to solve!

yeah the poo poo here is a bit crazy, they were using a management agent, then they apparently trusted someone they hired a bit too much and he dragged them back into the stone age a bit. They do have zscaler, so there is remote access, but not in the same manner so they don't pull GPOs etc, unless something is just hosed up with their environment/implementation of it, which wouldn't surprise me since every new thing I look at I find something broken.

I'll have to dig around about hybrid joining and such, maybe can get that deployed faster than I thought.

PDQ I know had that available at one point and then pulled it, but it's back again, cool I'll check them out since I'm fairly familiar with it.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
so I have an unusual :yotj: YOTJ :yotj: story that you probably won't believe and that's okay because tbh I still can't believe it sometimes either

I suddenly quit my job last November with nothing lined up. As in, I went in to work one morning and then after about 10 minutes just decided that I had to be finished. Not ideal, but my brain was mush at that point and it was that or (continue to) have a (series of) nervous breakdown(s). We were in a good postion and could coast for a long time. We even paid off our mortgage while I was unemployed.

I took some time to get my head together and landed a new gig pretty quickly once I started looking. I love it! I think it's the first team I've worked on where everybody is ridiculously smart and competent as hell and just kind of generally good folks to work with, which kind of makes me wonder if I'M the bad apple here? But so far I haven't gotten any negative feedback and, I don't know, it just kind of feels like things are pretty good, you know?

So fast forward to February and my mom sits me down and tells me that I have a secret 100% blood-related older brother that her and my dad gave up for adoption six years before I was born

I'm thinking, hey, that's pretty cool. I hope he's okay! Wait, is my brother in trouble? Oh poo poo, we have addiction and alcholisim issues in our family, I hope he's not strung out or anything. Is he even alive? Did he have a good life?

turns out I already know the answers to these questions because the reason this is an unusual YOTJ story is that my surprise secret older brother ends up being a sysadmin I worked with at my last job lmao

Except it's not just that we worked for the same company, but we worked in the same department, on the same team. He was on the hiring comittee that brought me on. Dude handled my first-day onboarding. We worked on a bunch of projects together. We'd probably been in easily 400 or so meetings together over about 4.5 years (yes too many meetings, my boss was weird). We'd gone out for lunch and had beers together. He was even in a food shitposting group that I run on FB. And outside of thinking "wow, that guy sure looks like my grandpa. Oh well, I guess gramps just had one of those faces" a few times, I had no idea whatsoever and GOSH I sure do feel stupid because as soon as mom told me who it was I didn't even have to think much about it and was just like "Oh. Yup. drat it, he totally looks like he would be my brother." except that's sort of a lie because I actually got to that realization after several minutes of yelling "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!?!" at my mom, not in like an angry or aggressive way but just out of the sheer shock and improbability of it all

It was WAY worse for my brother, though: he found out that we were related way back in April of last year, and wasn't sure if I knew or not, but also wasn't sure if he really had the right to tell me. He said his stomach would drop whenever I'd walk into a meeting because he wasn't sure if I knew, or if I knew that HE knew or... what the hell are you even supposed to do in this situaion? I'm not sure there are really rules for how you handle finding out that a co-worker is your surprise brother that you didn't know you had. He'd tried to contact my mom a few times throughout the year but it's not a very easy phone call to make so it took a while for him to want to try again. For whatever reason he finaly got through to her in late December (the reason is mom's voicemail has been full for like three years now). Mom said once she found out that I was still talking to him after work she'd better let the cat out of the bag. I'm just glad that her and my brother don't have to carry this around anymore because goddamn

He's a good dude, though. Almost frustratingly so lol. We've hung out a couple times since then and have joked how we're both pretty happy that our surprise work brother turned out to be each other instead of... well, there were several people at that job that we would definitely prefer to NOT suddenly find out that we were closely related to

so yeah that's weird, I guess there might be a random pretty cool guy that I used to work with at family reunions now? And now after 48 years I'm suddenly a middle child. And also guess it's another good reason why you shouldn't be a dick to the SCCM admin

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

year of the (biblical) job

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

nominal posted:

so I have an unusual :yotj: YOTJ :yotj: story that you probably won't believe and that's okay because tbh I still can't believe it sometimes either

I suddenly quit my job last November with nothing lined up. As in, I went in to work one morning and then after about 10 minutes just decided that I had to be finished. Not ideal, but my brain was mush at that point and it was that or (continue to) have a (series of) nervous breakdown(s). We were in a good postion and could coast for a long time. We even paid off our mortgage while I was unemployed.

I took some time to get my head together and landed a new gig pretty quickly once I started looking. I love it! I think it's the first team I've worked on where everybody is ridiculously smart and competent as hell and just kind of generally good folks to work with, which kind of makes me wonder if I'M the bad apple here? But so far I haven't gotten any negative feedback and, I don't know, it just kind of feels like things are pretty good, you know?

So fast forward to February and my mom sits me down and tells me that I have a secret 100% blood-related older brother that her and my dad gave up for adoption six years before I was born

I'm thinking, hey, that's pretty cool. I hope he's okay! Wait, is my brother in trouble? Oh poo poo, we have addiction and alcholisim issues in our family, I hope he's not strung out or anything. Is he even alive? Did he have a good life?

turns out I already know the answers to these questions because the reason this is an unusual YOTJ story is that my surprise secret older brother ends up being a sysadmin I worked with at my last job lmao

Except it's not just that we worked for the same company, but we worked in the same department, on the same team. He was on the hiring comittee that brought me on. Dude handled my first-day onboarding. We worked on a bunch of projects together. We'd probably been in easily 400 or so meetings together over about 4.5 years (yes too many meetings, my boss was weird). We'd gone out for lunch and had beers together. He was even in a food shitposting group that I run on FB. And outside of thinking "wow, that guy sure looks like my grandpa. Oh well, I guess gramps just had one of those faces" a few times, I had no idea whatsoever and GOSH I sure do feel stupid because as soon as mom told me who it was I didn't even have to think much about it and was just like "Oh. Yup. drat it, he totally looks like he would be my brother." except that's sort of a lie because I actually got to that realization after several minutes of yelling "ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!?!?!" at my mom, not in like an angry or aggressive way but just out of the sheer shock and improbability of it all

It was WAY worse for my brother, though: he found out that we were related way back in April of last year, and wasn't sure if I knew or not, but also wasn't sure if he really had the right to tell me. He said his stomach would drop whenever I'd walk into a meeting because he wasn't sure if I knew, or if I knew that HE knew or... what the hell are you even supposed to do in this situaion? I'm not sure there are really rules for how you handle finding out that a co-worker is your surprise brother that you didn't know you had. He'd tried to contact my mom a few times throughout the year but it's not a very easy phone call to make so it took a while for him to want to try again. For whatever reason he finaly got through to her in late December (the reason is mom's voicemail has been full for like three years now). Mom said once she found out that I was still talking to him after work she'd better let the cat out of the bag. I'm just glad that her and my brother don't have to carry this around anymore because goddamn

He's a good dude, though. Almost frustratingly so lol. We've hung out a couple times since then and have joked how we're both pretty happy that our surprise work brother turned out to be each other instead of... well, there were several people at that job that we would definitely prefer to NOT suddenly find out that we were closely related to

so yeah that's weird, I guess there might be a random pretty cool guy that I used to work with at family reunions now? And now after 48 years I'm suddenly a middle child. And also guess it's another good reason why you shouldn't be a dick to the SCCM admin

That is an awesome story and I’m glad that surprise bro is a good bro

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is a wild loving story. Awesome.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

God drat it :laffo:

That was a good story, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nominal posted:

And also guess it's another good reason why you shouldn't be a dick to the SCCM admin

You should be kind to the SCCM admin because but for the grace of god, there goes you.

Our site's former SCCM admin is now a project manager with our research group's IT team. He is 100% the fussiest person I have ever worked with, and we interact a lot, but I know why he's like that and he does a ton of work I might otherwise have to do, so I cherish him. It took me a while to learn to work with him effectively, but it was time well spent. Probably says more about me than him.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

nominal posted:

Some stories are to crazy to be made up. Only reality gets this weird. Happy for you to have suddenly getting a cool brother AND a cool new job.

Buff Hardback posted:

New thread title right there.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

nominal posted:

An amazing story, and I can totally believe it, as I spent a year working with a guy at my former job before finding out he's my uncle. He's from a small place in a small European country, and my father was born there, so we were always joking how there's a non-zero chance we are related. Then one day I asked my aunt if she knows him, and she's like: "Of course I do, his mother and my mother were sisters" :v:

So, high five for finding cool lost relatives.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

New thread title right there.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

Buff Hardback posted:

lmao

thanks guys, I'm glad to be able to tell this story and actually have it believed. My parents haven't been particularly proactive about telling the rest of the family so my sister (and new brother) have kept quiet-ish about it to give them time to sort out their business if they so choose. So it's good to be able to just get it out there even semi-anonymously, it helps it seems a lot less unreal.