Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

gregday posted:

I need a couple of custom parts for my vault door build. One piece is a cylinder about a foot long and 4 inches wide, and printing it even in PLA would be around $900. Ironically, having it machined in aluminum would only be $600, but I need 2 of them, and in aluminum would add 33lbs to the door’s total weight.

What about getting it cast? The cost of making a mold and materials would be a lot less than 600 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What kind of bizarre exotic material PLA are you using that would cost $900 for a 1ft cylinder? :psyduck:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I don’t know how sturdy this 1’ cylinder has to be, or how precise the dimensions, but it seems like you could just get a couple chunks of big pvc pipe or whatever and cap the ends with plastic sheeting, or just make them out of wood?

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I’m just wondering why they’ll weigh 16.5 lbs each using aluminum

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Pretty cool bee man

Dinosaurs. The lighting is terrible at my office and so is the furnature.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Joe Fisto posted:

Dinosaurs. The lighting is terrible at my office and so is the furnature.

Extreme guidance counselor vibes from that shelf, I feel like those dinos have heard some poo poo :(

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The Diddler posted:

Extreme guidance counselor vibes from that shelf, I feel like those dinos have heard some poo poo :(

So much poo poo

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Pretty cool bee man

He looks great! Buzz-Off is one of my top favorites and I’m looking forward to getting one.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/mezcotoyz/status/1658585930481926146?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone here know of good 1/6 scale Royal Guard figures/statues/model kits that would look good posed around HT Palpatine? I'd love to set that scene up, but I'm not so hot on paying a lot for the HT Royal Guards...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I like it. I'm probably gonna buy it, but I don't get the DUFFMAN IS THRUSTING IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF THE PROBLEM pose.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thought some people in the thread would dig this. I think the head sculpt is a lil off but it looks like it'll be an amazing figure. Medical grade silicone for the body so apparently it won't get hosed up and split later.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's 2023. Head sculpts are never off. If it's not a picture perfect likeness, it's because they don't have likeness rights.

Same as that McFarlane Batman head. It's not a bad sculpt, they just don't have likeness rights for Keaton.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a bootleg, so they don't care about rights anyway.

But the more skilled sculptors are working for the legit companies that can pay them more,

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's 2023. Head sculpts are never off. If it's not a picture perfect likeness, it's because they don't have likeness rights.

Same as that McFarlane Batman head. It's not a bad sculpt, they just don't have likeness rights for Keaton.

Explains every Harrison Ford figure ever made.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

lol that’s not the reason it’s bad.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It’s 2023 and no one could possibly get the job of playing Batman without signing over likeness rights, it’s written into every contract nowadays.

McFarlane really is just that lovely at making toys.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

An FYI for fellow weebs itt, Nin-Nin-Game is holding a sale. Scooped the deluxe bloodborne old hunter figma for a decent price after shipping.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It’s 2023 and no one could possibly get the job of playing Batman without signing over likeness rights, it’s written into every contract nowadays.

McFarlane really is just that lovely at making toys.

A new Batman, sure. But Keaton holds all the cards here since they're bringing him back in a desperate attempt to pump some life into the DCU by mining nostalgia.

Even then, even if an actor signs over likeness rights, it doesn't matter since a toy company may choose not to option those rights in exchange for a better licensing deal.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/joytoywarhammer/status/1658794889260281857?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

An FYI for fellow weebs itt, Nin-Nin-Game is holding a sale. Scooped the deluxe bloodborne old hunter figma for a decent price after shipping.

I’ve never heard of Nin Nin Game, and now I’ve seen 3 posts about them all today over various forums. Are they legit?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

How are you guys all privy to what exactly is and isn't in licensed toy contracts? I know some companies make no secret about locking down likenesses for later commercial use and to promote the movie but where are toy companies putting up these contracts up for y'all to scrutinize and speak with such authority on?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve never heard of Nin Nin Game, and now I’ve seen 3 posts about them all today over various forums. Are they legit?

Yeah, they’re fine. Had a bit of a delay the very first time ordered from them but it’s been fine and dandy ever since for a bunch of purchases.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s none. But a lot of companies have been upfront about it, so people will often refer to those situations

A pretty infamous one is mcf’s t-800. They had a Arnie likeness prototype and for whatever reason it wasn’t approved so they hosed his face up so it didn’t look like anyone

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Mostly.

They've been known to show inventory of stuff they don't have (usually older or sold out stuff) but like if that's the case you get refunded, not robbed.

Blackchamber posted:

How are you guys all privy to what exactly is and isn't in licensed toy contracts? I know some companies make no secret about locking down likenesses for later commercial use and to promote the movie but where are toy companies putting up these contracts up for y'all to scrutinize and speak with such authority on?

The name is the dead giveaway. The bootleg scene in China doesn't actually try to look like they're licensed. You're a lot more likely to escape notice if you're not using the trademarked terms.

That figure is called "Flight Officer", Jokers have been called "The Clown" etc.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea it's a bootleg. The likeness not being quite right is just the sculpture not quite getting it right. I've got done 3rd party figured that are dead on likenesses.

Also they are rereleasing the queen alien too. 30 inches tall. She big. Surprisingly cheap at 170 though.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The_Doctor posted:

I have made several successful orders through them, never had a concern. I do pay for the slightly more expensive than base shipping, though. Wouldn't want to wait 3-6 months for land shipping lmao.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Most movies post late 90’s and especially DC/Marvel superhero and Disney stuff all has likeness for merchandising baked into contracts. If the licensor is allowing you to make a named character and use the entertainment’s branding you have the likeness rights, wether your sculpt or paints actually look like the person is a whole other story. Some talent do elect to specifically approve them, others just let their representation do it. Most of the time they really don’t care if it actually looks like them or not.

People love to say “this company clearly didn’t have the likeness rights” when a finished product doesn’t look great, but the truth is bad production pieces happen. And McFarlane has not done a good movie likeness yet in their DC line, and they have the likeness rights to every person they’ve done.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Mostly.

They've been known to show inventory of stuff they don't have (usually older or sold out stuff) but like if that's the case you get refunded, not robbed.

The name is the dead giveaway. The bootleg scene in China doesn't actually try to look like they're licensed. You're a lot more likely to escape notice if you're not using the trademarked terms.

That figure is called "Flight Officer", Jokers have been called "The Clown" etc.

I was asking in the general sense. Like about if Keaton's likeness was contracted for or not and if they did or didnt use it to get a better contract, or hell anyone else in any movie past or present. How do you guys get that inside info?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone usually says it

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Most movies post late 90’s and especially DC/Marvel superhero and Disney stuff all has likeness for merchandising baked into contracts. If the licensor is allowing you to make a named character and use the entertainment’s branding you have the likeness rights, wether your sculpt or paints actually look like the person is a whole other story. Some talent do elect to specifically approve them, others just let their representation do it. Most of the time they really don’t care if it actually looks like them or not.

People love to say “this company clearly didn’t have the likeness rights” when a finished product doesn’t look great, but the truth is bad production pieces happen. And McFarlane has not done a good movie likeness yet in their DC line, and they have the likeness rights to every person they’ve done.

All this is 100% true, based on my own pretty deep knowledge of the film industry... except that the Zachary Levi likeness on McFarlane's new Shazam figure is surprisingly dead-on, which is hilarious, because the one guy they ever got right is a guy everybody hates.

Anyway, hey everybody, here's my Black Cat figure, after a head swap, a boob job, and a subtle repaint:

I also sculpted over the joint pins, did a little general sculpt "clean-up" like sanding mold lines and puttying over the navel in her clothing, and built better neck articulation, but you can't necessarily tell all that from the photo. I left her whip accessory in the bin, cause it was kind of goofy, and also that's really more Catwoman's thing.

I ended up buying the Kingpin-wave Black Cat figure just for the head, because she kinda didn't look right to me without that big grin on her face. It also has the advantage of the hair being all swept back, which means it doesn't get in the way of the articulation as badly or scrape against the fur collar. I got that figure for like $13, it's thankfully not a hard one to find cheap. Matching the skin tone with that particular plastic was probably the hardest part of this project, for some reason. My paint didn't want to cooperate.

In the end, I'm quite happy with how she turned out. This is my ideal Black Cat.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

There’s none. But a lot of companies have been upfront about it, so people will often refer to those situations

A pretty infamous one is mcf’s t-800. They had a Arnie likeness prototype and for whatever reason it wasn’t approved so they hosed his face up so it didn’t look like anyone

I actually liked the end result of McF’s T-800, but I also like mega-damaged Terminators where the endoskeleton is showing through.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

All this is 100% true, based on my own pretty deep knowledge of the film industry... except that the Zachary Levi likeness on McFarlane's new Shazam figure is surprisingly dead-on, which is hilarious, because the one guy they ever got right is a guy everybody hates.

Anyway, hey everybody, here's my Black Cat figure, after a head swap, a boob job, and a subtle repaint:

I also sculpted over the joint pins, did a little general sculpt "clean-up" like sanding mold lines and puttying over the navel in her clothing, and built better neck articulation, but you can't necessarily tell all that from the photo. I left her whip accessory in the bin, cause it was kind of goofy, and also that's really more Catwoman's thing.

I ended up buying the Kingpin-wave Black Cat figure just for the head, because she kinda didn't look right to me without that big grin on her face. It also has the advantage of the hair being all swept back, which means it doesn't get in the way of the articulation as badly or scrape against the fur collar. I got that figure for like $13, it's thankfully not a hard one to find cheap. Matching the skin tone with that particular plastic was probably the hardest part of this project, for some reason. My paint didn't want to cooperate.

In the end, I'm quite happy with how she turned out. This is my ideal Black Cat.

She looks pretty fantastic! I still really like the Goblin BAF one I’ve got, but yours is really nice.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
I had an idea and a weekend to make it:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

full reveal of Guilliman

and Voldus too why not

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gripweed posted:

full reveal of Guilliman

Cody's entrance gear is getting elaborate, but I suppose this is the logical extension of dressing like Homelander.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

What’s up with that Miguel?

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1659186985267875841?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Visible joints? The gently caress?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
... did they just make him a large Marvel Legend? What the gently caress.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

No sir, I don’t like it.

I do like this hat though.

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1659198666413051904?s=46&t=2Vl5mZOAuXyv2LbW1v-6cQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

full reveal of Guilliman

and Voldus too why not

Looks rad, but these dudes are HUGE (although properly scaled). He's like 7" or 8".