Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is a stretch. Western economies are all sorts of hosed, but the overall industrial capacity of the us and eu is way more than what russia has available. It’s more that nato just doesn’t care enough to seriously commit their economies to fight this proxy war beyond what’s just convenient and available.

Are you sure? I'm probably wrong but I think russian industrial capacity, how much steel, explosives, aluminum, ect you can pump out, is like half of what the US has. It's one of the big disconnects. If you look at a bullshit number like gdp, Russia is a gas station with an economy the size of Italy. If you cut out finance and housing bubbles and bullshit and look at things that matter, the Russians can keep up with west, and Chinese capacity probably exceeds the US.

This is without getting into the issue that factories in the US or Germany aren't very useful if everything is run as a grift that wildly overprices and under delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I have noticed that the difference between almost and actually starting a war is significant

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fell Mood posted:

This is without getting into the issue that factories in the US or Germany aren't very useful if everything is run as a grift that wildly overprices and under delivers.

the other issue with factories in Germany is that they had to shut down due to unaffordable energy costs, and it's going to cost a lot to restart them, even if they wanted to

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

comedyblissoption posted:

come to think of it, trump was actually less crass about the extrajudicial assassination of a high ranking government official than obama's secretary of state

Isn't there some trump thread to talk about this one genocidal maniac being much better than that other one? Who cares?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the other issue with factories in Germany is that they had to shut down due to unaffordable energy costs, and it's going to cost a lot to restart them, even if they wanted to

I mean if the political will was there you could produce a shitton of armaments in Germany. But class interests beat war goals so here we are.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Frosted Flake posted:

They had people so fired up for a climactic battle of good and evil and I have not heard any arguments of why China is an adversary or what they have done wrong in the simplistic, moral terms that were universally deployed around Ukraine.

Every story of China on TV throws in "BTW China is genocidal" at the end, it's so pervasive it might not even register anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

I'm sure Rhinemetal et al would love to fire up their production lines, expand and crank out a thousand whatever platforms a year but until they get that guaranteed contract with cash on the barrel it's just not going to happen. In the meantime life goes on.

gradenko_2000 posted:

still remember when rhinemetal stock immediately jumped in value when the war started, only for the sad trombone to start playing as energy price started to skyrocket a week later lmfao

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

We didn't start the fire

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

come to think of it, trump was actually less crass about the extrajudicial assassination of a high ranking government official than obama's secretary of state

Also, for all the uproar about "the wall," Biden is still building it piece by piece. Trump is a madmen while Biden is concerned about border security etc etc. Biden also seems like it is more than willing to sign over cuts as well, we just don't know how severe they will be yet.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Energy prices, shortages, and now gouging are all making industrial manufacturing far less not more competitive in the West, and nations are going to have to seriously print if they want to reverse it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

genericnick posted:

Isn't there some trump thread to talk about this one genocidal maniac being much better than that other one? Who cares?
as noam chomsky, epstein confidant, has noted, trump is one of the only western statesmen of note who is promoting a quick and peaceful solution to this conflict

in stark contrast to the bizarre powerpoint slides of the officer corps that would apply much more aptly to heads of state like biden

these beliefs in the public imagination are very thread relevant

tambourine
Oct 11, 2021

DancingShade posted:

People were worried about the environment, growing populations, etc. Turns out the solutions are so simple. You just need to look back in time to a simpler age.

Fight over land / resources and let the slaughter commence. Less mouths at the end of it all. Prosperity for those who live until the next cycle.

I'm sorry to I hear a whiff of critique over the Russian people valiantly defending Russian soil from Nato Nazi invaders

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dude, trump literally started arming ukrainian nazis directly lol

he's no angle

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

trump was impeached over not sending the nazis arms in a temporally flattering manner!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

genericnick posted:

americans can only understand politics in the context of their culture war

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol pretending Trump is not related to most subjects and knowledge. he is involved in every major event of the 20th and 21st century

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nonsense posted:

lol pretending Trump is not related to most subjects and knowledge.

lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

dude, trump literally started arming ukrainian nazis directly lol

he's no angle

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha 1 posted:

I finally understand how people contract NATO Brain.

Graphic design is their passion.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

quote:

I think there are parts of the US military that are quietly furious about this war because it has sucked so many resources away from other potential investments. The US has been expanding its budget, but costs have been rising as well, and there are issues arising across the armed forces.

Personally, I think this was specifically about a faction in the Biden administration wanting to go all in on Russia and therefore causing a massive amount of auxiliary chaos.

Yeah. Whoever threw out the 21 year old national guard chump to leak the Ukraine info was the fraction that wants to pack up the war. Personally, I think it's Milley.

I can't tell which faction has a hate boner on the Russians. Neither Blinken nor Sullivan sound very blood thirsty.

Ardennes posted:

[quote="BitcoinRockefeller" post="531936549"]
Every story of China on TV throws in "BTW China is genocidal" at the end, it's so pervasive it might not even register anymore.

Yeah, the Cee Cee Pee is genocidal to the Weeee gers. Well except the weeeegers are mooslims its going to be hard to make the Americans care for them as much as the anti-nazi Ukrainians. Also the Uyghurs are not in Taiwan and don't make NVIDIA card.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The US could easily outproduce most of the world if it were willing to fundamentally reorder the economy with a new War Production Board and rationing.

It is not willing to do that.

The US could easily outproduce Russia by just taking control of existing defense industries and ramping up existing productive capacity

It is not willing to do that.

The US could just slow walk whatever supplies it can rummage up over to Ukraine in a trickle that prevents any decisive action while maximizing Ukrainians pointlessly killed in a meatgrinder

That is what is currently happening.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Personally, I think this was specifically about a faction in the Biden administration wanting to go all in on Russia and therefore causing a massive amount of auxiliary chaos.

name a country the usa has hosed with in the last 30 years and you'll find they are behind the scenes, pulling the strings.

same people, same modus operandi, but it keeps working so why not keep chipping away at it i guess??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

it was an incredibly funny time, yeah

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

It probably is less meaningful in the US when it is becoming increasingly unavoidable for the average person that the entire political, social, and economic apparatus of the US exists to keep black people poor and in jail for maximal profits because the political capital to do anything about it just isn't there -- i.e. BLM protestors getting black bagged by NatGuard cronies or executed in police custody wasn't actually That Bad to the lay person.

If anything, I'm sure that awareness of what America does is most likely to inspire apathy towards genocides and civil rights abuses around the world.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I can't tell which faction has a hate boner on the Russians. Neither Blinken nor Sullivan sound very blood thirsty.
naw they're balls deep

they may not sound blood thirsty, but perhaps thats the banality of evil

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

china did the holodomor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

china did the holodomor

it definitely happened

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin are the real ANTIFA super soldiers.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
It's that whole Zbigniew Brzezinski wing of democratic foreign policy experts, of which I think Biden himself is a part of or heavily influenced by.

plus like straight up neocons like Nuland

and of course once the ball is rolling the only crticism permitted a democrat is to talk about how much more smartly they would prosecute the war. Which they can't do if it's their guy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Delta-Wye posted:

naw they're balls deep

they may not sound blood thirsty, but perhaps thats the banality of evil

Yeah the Natsec faction in the Biden administration are complete nutcases, this war wasn’t an accident.

(Also include Austin and the new head of the Joint Chiefs in there as well)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Yeah the Natsec faction in the Biden administration are complete nutcases, this war wasn’t an accident.

(Also include Austin and the new head of the Joint Chiefs in there as well)

quote:

A concise articulation came from Jake Sullivan to his then-State Department boss Hillary Clinton in a February 2012 email:

AQ [Al Qaeda] is on our side in Syria.
when i read revelations like this, i wonder who "our side" refers to here - i don't think they're referring to the usa or us interests generally.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

Is a political science degree 5 courses a semester like this for four years?

i did a minor in polsci for my bachelor's degree and it was a bit more nuanced than that, but honestly not by a whole lot no

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, in the UK, there's this yawning gulf between the strident, WWII-style language that our leaders use to describe the Ukraine conflict and the actual material stuff that we're doing to step up and help Ukraine (not an awful lot). However much they portray the conflict as an existential battle against Good and Evil, it's clear enough that they don't actually believe that, not judged by their actions, anyway.

that's just the standard liberal rhetoric about everything nowadays though. literally everything they dislike is a problem of apocalyptic proportions but no, we can't actually do anything about it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This one is a bit more recent, so I distinctly remember a, I guess ethnographer isn’t the right word, maybe sociologist, came in to explain that China believes that it is the Middle Kingdom and everyone else are barbarians, and that motivates their foreign policy.

Then went over the Century of Humiliation, Opium Wars and Boxer Rebellion and everything else nonchalantly. Approaching the present day, they then explained that China is unfair by refusing to really participate in free trade and the Rules Based International Order, the reason why being aforementioned belief in Chinese Supremacy.

Idk, you would feel crazy if you said China was reasonable to act the way they do. I’m not even going to touch on the Arab-Moslem component, you can infer.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah every conversation I’ve had with a liberal where China comes up makes it clear that, to them, China is North Korea, and North Korea is whatever Yeonmi Park says it is, and no one except me has ever lied to them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

america's idea of "peace" for 70 years has meant "we're the boss and no one gets out of line." it's what most americans see as "peace" domestically, too. strong cops, no disorder.

Lol, they want to try to turn the situation into NK/SK because obviously there are no ramifications of partition.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/18/ukraine-russia-south-korea-00097563

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

genericnick posted:

yeah its epic american brains as so broken they dont udnerstand anything outside of our stupid politics

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zodium posted:

americans can only understand politics in the context of their culture war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The ROK was pretty Political leading up to the war, btw. Liberals always leave that part out.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

they knew in 1945 that Ukrainian nationalism as extolled by the likes of Stepan Bandera was a very bad thing and we're supposed to pretend it's all hunky-dory now

Hey now, we need those people to be NATO generals, for national security reasons, ofc.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The difference is that people in PRC, I assume, didn't see Korea as a rightful part of China.

And things were a lot more uneven in military capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Frosted Flake posted:

This one is a bit more recent, so I distinctly remember a, I guess ethnographer isn’t the right word, maybe sociologist, came in to explain that China believes that it is the Middle Kingdom and everyone else are barbarians, and that motivates their foreign policy.

Then went over the Century of Humiliation, Opium Wars and Boxer Rebellion and everything else nonchalantly. Approaching the present day, they then explained that China is unfair by refusing to really participate in free trade and the Rules Based International Order, the reason why being aforementioned belief in Chinese Supremacy.

Idk, you would feel crazy if you said China was reasonable to act the way they do. I’m not even going to touch on the Arab-Moslem component, you can infer.

Whenever I hear "Rules Based International Order", I think about the Reaper's speech about 'bringing order to the chaos' in Mass Effect 3.

Omnicidal hoard of mind-controlling robots constructed from the liquified remains of genocided civilizations: "YOU ARE CHAOS. WE ARE NECESSARY TO MAINTAIN ORDER."