Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Letting you use more that two buttons is worth $60 imo

not if you don't value you time (which should be the case for anyone in this thread)

e:
"GB LttP is inferior because you have to menu a bunch to swap items"
"Anyways, now to hold the right trigger button, press up on the d-pad, scroll to my keese eyeballs...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

both versions of Link’s Awakening are good, play both of them

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Switch. I haven't played a Zelda since Link to The Past. Should I buy the new Zelda, or buy Breath of The Wild first?

Play links awakening (get it from the library, like with the 2d kirbys). Im playing it with my kid and it's really fun, I like it a ton better than botw which I fell off of halfway through

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

yeah but TotK's horses are stopped dead in their tracks by a single pebble.

wheras Elden Ring allows me to pick plants from horseback

its free on the NSO Gameboy thing. Just play that one cause I can't see how the new coat of paint is worth 60$ (It's a nice coat of paint Ill give you that.)

need an elden ring mod to let me climb, ascend, fuse, and glide. how hard could it be, just copy the code from the zelda rom.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think totk would be a lot less magical without both having played botw first, but also having a really long time between the two games to make you want to re-explore the same but different world.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

hatty posted:

TotK makes BotW obsolete like Mario Galaxy 2 did to 1. Only buy BotW if you can get it below $20

Who says that about the Galaxies?. It's a glorified level pack to the point I know plenty of people who prefer 1 for the framing and hub stuff that 2 streamlined away.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I hope they make a new Link's Awakening-esque Zelda some day, like they've done with Mario. 2D style and 3D style every few years. The engine is just sitting there!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Foul Fowl posted:

i think totk would be a lot less magical without both having played botw first, but also having a really long time between the two games to make you want to re-explore the same but different world.

Link Between Worlds-style, yeah. There's definitely something less, I dunno, exploratory about showing up in Hyrule and knowing where Rito village is, what Death Mountain is like, what Kakariko looks like, even if things are somewhat different. I mean, maybe that's what makes places like the depths and the sky far more interesting, cause they're completely new, even if they don't have the same level of variety as the surface does.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

beer gas canister posted:

I hope they make a new Link's Awakening-esque Zelda some day, like they've done with Mario. 2D style and 3D style every few years. The engine is just sitting there!

Hmmmm. Continue to have incredibly successful games that sell tens of millions of copies within the first week OR make a game that will sell five to six million copies in its entire life time. Tough choice!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hmmmm. Continue to have incredibly successful games that sell tens of millions of copies within the first week OR make a game that will sell five to six million copies in its entire life time. Tough choice!

I'm confused as to what you're saying here, do you think the team that worked on the Link's Awakening remake is the same that did TotK?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

you're right why bother making anything else. why even continue making metroid or pikmin or kirby games. my brain is formidable.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

ingenuity is dead

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I want an Earthbound remake in the Link's Awakening engine.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

There's never a guarantee that BotW 3 will sell just as well, or they'll continue to have fresh ideas. This is a company that's been happy to drop something that was well recived in favor for doing something different for difference's sake.

I dont think it's a stupid bet to think the success of BotW and TotK will continue to inform the future of Zelda design though, but IMO Link Between Worlds sort of feels like that middle piece - faithful to old Zelda will creating a lot of flexibility and freedom.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nintendo should let the Necrodancer team make another Cadence of Hyrule game in the BotW/TotK setting.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

they could do both you giant moron

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nintendo should let the Necrodancer team make another Cadence of Hyrule game in the BotW/TotK setting.

You have to time all your moves to beat of one piano chord that plays only every 30 seconds or so

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

An Actual Princess posted:

they could do both you giant moron

This would mean fewer open-world Zelda games and that's bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just get Capcom to do it again, or Grezzo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

Just get Capcom to do it again, or Grezzo

Ubisoft Montreal presents:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I get the sense that the gaming industry is like 100x bigger than you believe it to be

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo found a team that can make kickass 2D Metroid I’m sure they can find a 2D Zelda studio. They even let the Necrodancer people take a crack at it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The GBA Links Awakening is genius in it's use of the two buttons. It's a proto-fuse because you end up realizing how combinations of weapons/items do cool things that you may not discover otherwise.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Switch. I haven't played a Zelda since Link to The Past. Should I buy the new Zelda, or buy Breath of The Wild first?

As someone that still considers LttP to be the best Zelda of every release before Tears, get Tears.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

How much of that is the strength of botw's merits, and how much of it is marketing hype getting people excited because they haven't had a new* Zelda of any kind in six years now?

* I said new. Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword are not new. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

How much of that is the strength of botw's merits, and how much of it is marketing hype getting people excited because they haven't had a new* Zelda of any kind in six years now?

* I said new. Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword are not new. :colbert:

BotW was absurdly popular and influential.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

BotW was absurdly popular and influential.

I agree. But there's still the fact that there hasn't been a new release in quite a while now. There are people that would be happy to have ANYTHING new with the Zelda name on it at this point.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

I agree. But there's still the fact that there hasn't been a new release in quite a while now. There are people that would be happy to have ANYTHING new with the Zelda name on it at this point.

Those people would also complain that the new Zelda produced in a year is trash.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FlapYoJacks posted:

thats not how it works

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
nm, clocking the avatar. some sort of braindead politics guy leaking out of the aids forums.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

That's not how it works.

When Nintendo had separate handhelds and home consoles, it was easier to delineate between the two. Yes, they could develop two Zelda games for the same console at the same time, but why would they?

Stux posted:

nm, clocking the avatar. Some sort of brain-dead politics guy is leaking out of the aids forums.

It's an AI-generated Bernie that someone was giving to everyone. Not sure where it came from.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
im going to take the top of your head clean off with my blade, killing you instantly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

I'm going to take the top of your head clean off with my blade, killing you instantly.

:thumbsup:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

the net amount of Zelda would increase...the opposite of a problem imo

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I just went from the top of the sky area and landed in the depths in one go.

Incredibly thrilling experience.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

FlapYoJacks posted:

When Nintendo had separate handhelds and home consoles, it was easier to delineate between the two. Yes, they could develop two Zelda games for the same console at the same time, but why would they?

For money op

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I just went from the top of the sky area and landed in the depths in one go.

Incredibly thrilling experience.

I jumped into a well and fell into the depths, which surprised the hell out of me.

The depths, man. Like, I think it was the second time I went there when I was starting to get a little tired, all the lights in my house were off, the middle of the night, and no one else was home, and gently caress it just made me feel so uncomfortable being surrounded by this wall of darkness. I kept thinking there was just something massive moving out of the corner of my eye, and it wasn't long before I had to get back to the surface and walk around in the sun a bit to shake that spooky feeling. Such an unpleasant, alien place in the best way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hatty posted:

For money op

Hey, if they make two mainstream Zelda games at once I'm not going to complain. I just don't see it happening. :shrug:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Morpheus posted:

I jumped into a well and fell into the depths, which surprised the hell out of me.

The depths, man. Like, I think it was the second time I went there when I was starting to get a little tired, all the lights in my house were off, the middle of the night, and no one else was home, and gently caress it just made me feel so uncomfortable being surrounded by this wall of darkness. I kept thinking there was just something massive moving out of the corner of my eye, and it wasn't long before I had to get back to the surface and walk around in the sun a bit to shake that spooky feeling. Such an unpleasant, alien place in the best way.

It stresses me out every time I find a new chasm. Getting dropped into an abyss with that dissonant audio cue feels perfectly wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Oxyclean posted:

wheras Elden Ring allows me to pick plants from horseback

Afaict this is the only thing Elden Ring has on ToTK. I’m constantly dismounting to loot poo poo. But dismounting is also fun so I can’t be tooo mad about it.