Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

widefault posted:

Kinda stupid, kinda awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-P3I-lMNFk

Christopher Cross with a double neck 6/12 that appears to have the pickups and hardware from a Fender Electric XII. Definitely the neck. Looks pretty well done and is well before Fender's Custom Shop was a thing.

I’m the Earl Campbell jersey, which is an important part of the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That jersey is dope and so is that custom guitar.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Same performance is where he rips the big solo at the end of "Ride Like the Wind"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLmbFz0IVN4&t=212s

And it may have been mentioned, but he was the previous owner of the Strat which became SRV's #1.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Also worth mentioning that Chris Cross replaced Blackmore in Purple. for one gig

I had to look up how old this John C Reilly lookin mf was in the clip above.... 29 years old. Dammmn

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Chrpno posted:

Also worth mentioning that Chris Cross replaced Blackmore in Purple. for one gig

I had to look up how old this John C Reilly lookin mf was in the clip above.... 29 years old. Dammmn

Today he just looks like Kyle Gass, which I guess in an improvement.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This dude's look confuses me, he looks like an abusive alcoholic husband who loves some sportsball but actually rips guitar. My brain doesn't accept it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

In newer videos I see whatever Christopher Cross is playing has a Floyd Rose on it, so he must be an ok guy.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6UlyyQjAtM

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 18, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the storyline i always heard was that he was making big hits (which he definitely was), but he was too schlubby for mtv, so his fortunes tailed off in the 80s

but he's basically the prototype for ed sheeran, a few decades too early

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
He was great in the Pixies though.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
My stupid music poo poo is that I ordered a custom guitar from a luthier that hasn't been able to get it shipped across the country to me (they're located in Vancouver BC, I'm in Toronto ON). It was supposedly ready to go since the end of January but there were some problems with the carrier they had used. After a lot of back and forth (all via e-mail, I don't have a phone number for them), they were able to get the guitar back to their shop, at which point (this was about mid-April), I asked them to hold onto it while I went on vacation and once I got back, I'd work with them on figuring out an alternate carrier for shipping. I actually asked them to get a quote for the carrier I wanted to use and if the price looked good, I'd send payment for it, but they went ahead and arranged shipping without charging me anything. On May 8th, they sent me a tracking number, which since then has been showing that the label has been created but it has not yet been received by the carrier.

If this was shipping internationally then I would understand why these delays would be happening (if I understand correctly, there can be issues with customs clearance depending on the type of woods used in the construction of the guitar) but I feel like this is kind of ridiculous for a domestic shipment. I'd like to think that these issues are beyond their control and they're not trying to scam me here but the longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to doubt that. I sent a follow-up email to them yesterday, and I'll send them another one late next week (assuming I don't hear from them by then) but after that I think I'm just going to ask them for a refund.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Unfortunately creating a tracking number and then not booking collection is an easy way to get people off your back for a little longer. Did the original delayed tracking show up for you or was this info about the runaround all relayed through them?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

homewrecker posted:

My stupid music poo poo is that I ordered a custom guitar from a luthier that hasn't been able to get it shipped across the country to me (they're located in Vancouver BC, I'm in Toronto ON). It was supposedly ready to go since the end of January but there were some problems with the carrier they had used. After a lot of back and forth (all via e-mail, I don't have a phone number for them), they were able to get the guitar back to their shop, at which point (this was about mid-April), I asked them to hold onto it while I went on vacation and once I got back, I'd work with them on figuring out an alternate carrier for shipping. I actually asked them to get a quote for the carrier I wanted to use and if the price looked good, I'd send payment for it, but they went ahead and arranged shipping without charging me anything. On May 8th, they sent me a tracking number, which since then has been showing that the label has been created but it has not yet been received by the carrier.

If this was shipping internationally then I would understand why these delays would be happening (if I understand correctly, there can be issues with customs clearance depending on the type of woods used in the construction of the guitar) but I feel like this is kind of ridiculous for a domestic shipment. I'd like to think that these issues are beyond their control and they're not trying to scam me here but the longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to doubt that. I sent a follow-up email to them yesterday, and I'll send them another one late next week (assuming I don't hear from them by then) but after that I think I'm just going to ask them for a refund.

This smells like bs. Shipping a guitar is not hard at all.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

Unfortunately creating a tracking number and then not booking collection is an easy way to get people off your back for a little longer. Did the original delayed tracking show up for you or was this info about the runaround all relayed through them?

Good question, and thinking about it now is making me more skeptical. I had paid the remaining balance on the guitar on Jan-20th when they sent me an invoice saying that it would be ready to ship next week, and then I didn't hear anything until February 15th when I sent a follow-up to ask them about the ETA. They said it should have arrived by now and that they would follow up with the carrier. After some more back and forth e-mailing with them, they said it had all been sorted out, but it took some more emails from me until I finally got a tracking number for some "ShipNerd" service, which I've never heard of before. Anyway, even after I did get that tracking number, it only ever said that the label was created but it never had any further updates.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This smells like bs. Shipping a guitar is not hard at all.

I admittedly could have done better from my side - after paying off the balance on the guitar, I definitely should have checked in them with sooner to confirm if it had shipped. I had assumed they would send me an e-mail with tracking info once it was shipped so I didn't think much of it at the time. They do have a relatively active presence on social media and they even had a Guitar World article about them published a few weeks ago so I really would like to believe I'm not getting scammed here but it's all so frustrating. And only being able to contact them via e-mail is annoying, I can't find any kind of phone number for them otherwise I'd be happy to call and hopefully speak with them in person to try and clear it all up.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Yeah, that's not good news unfortunately. Starting to sound like the start of a huge number of small luthier stories where they start running low on funds, need more new deposits to complete old orders, start panicking and making excuses because one refund will sink their entire cashflow and then go radio silent in the hope people will go away.

I'm not saying that's definitely the case here but the "created label not picked up" thing is such a dubious sign. I'd speak to them ASAP and either demand a shipping date where you arrange the courier, or your money back. If they are having issues then be prepared to be chasing them for a while and potentially to not see either product or cash if things go badly.

Check the Luthiers forum on gearpage and see if your guy gets a mention anywhere. Either way there's a couple of luthier blacklist threads worth reading to see if you recognise any of the warning signs.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for the input, greatly appreciate it. I guess I'd been a little too easy going with them this whole time so I'll need to be very firm from here on out. I did try searching on TGP but their name didn't come up, but they do seem to be a newer builder. At any rate, I'll try to get a hold of them on Tuesday (Monday being a holiday up here) and we'll see how this works out. Thanks again for your help!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Yeah don’t wait on that.

I got burned to north of 2k back in the early 2010’s from Bernie Rico Jr for a custom from his Black Friday run.

Got on in, paid deposit, he said it was one week from being done so I paid the rest, then he strung me along for a year before stopping responding.

He pulled so much stalling bullshit it pushed everyone well past cc dispute times, and iirc us customers lost something above 100k from his scamming.

And then the loving partial and completed builds got sold to whomever, over the past decade there’s probably been a dozen builds that were fully paid off end up on the used market and original owners being unable to recover.

I know this isn’t super good to hear, and there’s always the chance the luthier is legit, just bad at managing things, but if you’re running up to CC dispute times, just do it. It’s on them for loving up this bad, you shouldn’t end up losing the cost just so some builder that can’t manage his time gets a reprieve.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This seems more common than not amongst "small volume" luthiers and amp builders. Always doing the sketchiest poo poo and lying because they love making guitars/amps but are terrible at businessy stuff like "do I have enough money to pay rent?"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Slothful Bong posted:

Yeah don’t wait on that.

I got burned to north of 2k back in the early 2010’s from Bernie Rico Jr for a custom from his Black Friday run.

Got on in, paid deposit, he said it was one week from being done so I paid the rest, then he strung me along for a year before stopping responding.

He pulled so much stalling bullshit it pushed everyone well past cc dispute times, and iirc us customers lost something above 100k from his scamming.

And then the loving partial and completed builds got sold to whomever, over the past decade there’s probably been a dozen builds that were fully paid off end up on the used market and original owners being unable to recover.

I know this isn’t super good to hear, and there’s always the chance the luthier is legit, just bad at managing things, but if you’re running up to CC dispute times, just do it. It’s on them for loving up this bad, you shouldn’t end up losing the cost just so some builder that can’t manage his time gets a reprieve.
Thought I was in the Bitcoin thread for a second.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

plugin/pedal company neural DSP loving up so bad they leak customers Wi-Fi passwords from the pedal seems fairly SMS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOSJc9_C2g

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

so annoyed

at my first show since before covid and i just pulled my earplug case out of my pocket to find out the plastic inside degraded and they're all hosed up with chemicals

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

hexwren posted:

so annoyed

at my first show since before covid and i just pulled my earplug case out of my pocket to find out the plastic inside degraded and they're all hosed up with chemicals

My first show back we sat way back in the balcony and just drank. I’m old now, but it was comfy as poo poo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

at the time the show was originally scheduled (2021? 2022?) i felt i could only afford general audience, not mezzanine

this was a tactical error on my part. the show doesn't start for another half hour and I've already stood too long

my wife is hitting the merch table for fresh plugs and t-shirts. hopefully she's able to get back up here, almost on the rail

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

massive spider posted:

plugin/pedal company neural DSP loving up so bad they leak customers Wi-Fi passwords from the pedal seems fairly SMS

nbd, I remember when I switched on my DOD 250 Overdrive and it sent the audience my bank card PIN

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You're able to load the windows plugins you bought into your quad cortex like they promised 3+ years ago, right?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You're able to load the windows plugins you bought into your quad cortex like they promised 3+ years ago, right?

No money for features, only YouTube shills!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://reverb.com/item/39496465-jack-s-guitarcheology-bed-pan-halen-s-frankensh-t-toilet-seat-electric-guitar-2021-white-relic
Might as well dump, dump, go ahead and dump.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i cracked up at the relic job

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
At this point I don't think I'm getting my guitar nor am I getting a refund (unless I have any luck with doing a charge back on the credit card charges through my bank) so I'm just going to say it: don't make the same mistake I did, don't order anything from Coloma Guitars.

Thanks to the everyone who shared their input here (especially darkwasthenight and Slothful Bong) , in a way it's almost kind of a relief to not be stressing out about "when is the guitar going to get here???"

EDIT (10:25 EST): Maybe I spoke too soon and it's not over after all? What had happened is that I sent them an email on Monday evening and I was trying to be firm but still polite, basically I said that if by end of day Wednesday I don't get confirmation from the shipping carrier's tracking website that the guitar is on its way, I would be asking for a cancellation and full refund. They haven't responded so I had figured that was it and I was ready to try and start the charge back process with my bank, but I checked the tracking again just now and it looks like it was dropped off to the carrier about an hour ago. I mean I'm trying not to get my hopes up, for all I know the tracking number they gave me isn't actually my shipment, or maybe it's going to show up and be an empty box, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised and also a little confused if it all works out. I'll post again when this gets resolved one way or the other.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 26, 2023

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Looking at the website it seems pretty likely these are OEM guitars from China or Indonesia that at best are getting assembled and set up once they reach Canada. If Squier and Epiphone can't get factory floor time then a small shop like that is boned.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

homewrecker posted:

At this point I don't think I'm getting my guitar nor am I getting a refund (unless I have any luck with doing a charge back on the credit card charges through my bank) so I'm just going to say it: don't make the same mistake I did, don't order anything from Coloma Guitars.

Thanks to the everyone who shared their input here (especially darkwasthenight and Slothful Bong) , in a way it's almost kind of a relief to not be stressing out about "when is the guitar going to get here???"

EDIT (10:25 EST): Maybe I spoke too soon and it's not over after all? What had happened is that I sent them an email on Monday evening and I was trying to be firm but still polite, basically I said that if by end of day Wednesday I don't get confirmation from the shipping carrier's tracking website that the guitar is on its way, I would be asking for a cancellation and full refund. They haven't responded so I had figured that was it and I was ready to try and start the charge back process with my bank, but I checked the tracking again just now and it looks like it was dropped off to the carrier about an hour ago. I mean I'm trying not to get my hopes up, for all I know the tracking number they gave me isn't actually my shipment, or maybe it's going to show up and be an empty box, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised and also a little confused if it all works out. I'll post again when this gets resolved one way or the other.

Most shippers will provide a package weight on the tracking page. It should also have information about the destination.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Looking at the website it seems pretty likely these are OEM guitars from China or Indonesia that at best are getting assembled and set up once they reach Canada. If Squier and Epiphone can't get factory floor time then a small shop like that is boned.

https://www.instagram.com/colomaguitars/

From their instagram page it looks like everything is made in-house.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 24, 2023

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Good news, I received the guitar today! Thanks to everyone who provided their input on the issue. The whole situation does seem strange overall, like would they have sorted it all out right away had I not been firm with them in that last e-mail I sent? I don't really understand why it all went down the way it did, but I'm not going to spend any more time worrying about and instead I'm going to spend time playing this thing. Will post some pictures of it in the guitar thread and/or new purchase thread when I have a chance. Thanks again everyone!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

homewrecker posted:

Good news, I received the guitar today! Thanks to everyone who provided their input on the issue. The whole situation does seem strange overall, like would they have sorted it all out right away had I not been firm with them in that last e-mail I sent? I don't really understand why it all went down the way it did, but I'm not going to spend any more time worrying about and instead I'm going to spend time playing this thing. Will post some pictures of it in the guitar thread and/or new purchase thread when I have a chance. Thanks again everyone!

There's a catastrophe curve where builders start priority responding to the clients who make most fuss because that's the easiest way to keep on top of the wave of poo poo. Glad you got in on the right side of the wave and hope the builder is just going through a rough patch rather than anything worse. Post pics!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My current stupid music poo poo is I’m giving away the sparkle green Chickenbacker bass I bought a few years ago.

I’m giving it to a good friend’s 14 year old son who is getting into music and is probably already better at any of it than I’ll ever be. The stupid part is he’s probably just humoring me and really doesn’t need or want it but at least I have one less thing laying around

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

darkwasthenight posted:

There's a catastrophe curve where builders start priority responding to the clients who make most fuss because that's the easiest way to keep on top of the wave of poo poo. Glad you got in on the right side of the wave and hope the builder is just going through a rough patch rather than anything worse. Post pics!

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

But it's the first to be replaced!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://youtu.be/Op39v4Fkr9U

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is the thing on the back of the guitar supposed to protect it from the comically oversized belt buckles on the type of dude expected to play a guitar like this?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yes

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Yep, it is also usually padded and covers the control cavity cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
god drat I love that