Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Biosphere Collapse: 🥴

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

but individual carbon footprint is a lie perpetuated by big oil

It's not like that car was manufactured for him from scratch. :shrug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

RadiRoot posted:

this can be true and an individual can also be a huge rear end in a top hat at the same time

like the diff between a conscript forced to the front lines of a war at gunpoint vs some meathead who volunteers and takes pleasure in warmongering

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

this can be true and an individual can also be a huge rear end in a top hat at the same time

like the diff between a conscript forced to the front lines of a war at gunpoint vs some meathead who volunteers and takes pleasure in warmongering

thats right

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stereotype posted:

here is a fun post from reddit but it really sounds more like from here

smh at these doomers. someone somewhere may find this depressing, stop harming mental health!

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
"well at least the wildfires arent happening on my continent!"

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1659159480381104128

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

simply invert number!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just need a massive toxic train derailment to occur in the middle of a raging forest inferno.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

https://twitter.com/Ant_Partnership/status/1659080930777088001

Australian Antarctic Program quietly screaming in that calm way only professional scientists can do.

Large ice free regions in the Antarctic, at the winter solstice, while receiving no sunlight. :thumbsup:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

My neighbor down the street had an older F-650 that got repo'ed kind of recently. He never drove it anywhere and it took up so much of his driveway that he had to park his fleet of other ridiculous vehicles in the board of ed parking lot across the street. Very normal and acceptable behavior.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

ELTON JOHN posted:

"well at least the wildfires arent happening on my continent!"

https://twitter.com/dwallacewells/status/1659159480381104128

I hate to be that guy, but wildfires are normal and fine

When we had global forest coverage and no human intervention they were common

It's one of those really alarming things getting worse with climate change but the answer is really to go in and plant more fresh trees in the places the wildfires happen and keep planting trees until we get closer to historical levels

Trees are supposed to burn, whole rear end plant and animal lifecycles are built around wildfires and the fertile environments they create when the fires end. Gotta take the bad with the good. Instead of worrying about this normal thing, worry about the problems humans and industry create instead. If you want to help nature along after a fire, plant some trees!

Edit: we're also almost certainly producing more toxic smoke in coal emissions every day than all the wildfires do in a year. The earth can shrug off it's normal emission load, the problem is when we mine or pull concentrated carbon from the earth and burn it.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 15:49 on May 18, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

from nyt

WHAT A BUNCH OF DOOMERS

This "record high temperature" thing has brought back the dumbass caveman tier "But Texas had a polar vortex" denial that leads to people holding up snowballs proclaiming global warming isn't happening because we are too stupid to understand complex systems with multiple variables apparently. It never goes away but it's being posted fresh everywhere now like deniers were pinged by this new report and must respond.

Could that polar vortex have been due to climate change? Maybe weather changes too? Nope. You say get hot but still cold sometime.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
listening to a pretty good podcast about the wildfires in alberta right now

quote:

ALEX PANETTA: Mm hmm. And it doesn't seem like there's an immediate off ramp. I mean, we're not about to stop burning fossil fuels. And even if we did, scientists say what we've already burned means we're committed to at least another degree of warming worldwide. So how bad is it going to get? How about our fire season is going to be in the future?

JOHN VALEANT: Well, I wanted to address the first thing you said there about reducing our use of fossil fuels that is happening right now in real time. So I'm quite confident that fossil fuel use is peaking globally as we speak, and we're going to see a steady decrease in the coming years and decades. That said, we've locked in a certain amount of heating. We've basically supercharged the atmosphere with CO2, and so we can think of it as a giant battery and it's got a lot of energy in it right now that is going to keep heating for decades. So fires are going to get worse. So in a way and in a negative way, we've paid it forward. But by reducing the amount of methane we released into the atmosphere, by reducing the amount of CO2 we released into the atmosphere, we will also be investing in a more stable, cooler future. But it may not be a future that we see. Our kids might see it, their grandkids might see it. But massive changes are in store for us. And, you know, that's a really difficult aspect of climate change, is we're seeing things. We're going to experience things that no one has experienced before. No one's ever experienced a fire tornado. Not talking about a fire whirl. I'm talking about an EF three tornado that blew houses away and burned everything that was left behind. So no one's seen that before, Australia, 2003 and then Redding in California 2018. But we're going to see more of them and we're going to see more high intensity fire. So we need to act and build and evacuate accordingly at the same time that we reduce our emissions as rapidly as possible. And we are a sophisticated, intelligent species who's capable of doing several things at once. And those are a couple of things we need to do at once.

wow, loving doomers. this guy needs to go out and touch grass if he can find any that's not on fire

e: link to the transcript and podcast

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 15:52 on May 18, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

https://twitter.com/Ant_Partnership/status/1659080930777088001

Australian Antarctic Program quietly screaming in that calm way only professional scientists can do.

Large ice free regions in the Antarctic, at the winter solstice, while receiving no sunlight. :thumbsup:

I am not a scientist but the area difference in that picture produces a profound sense of dread in my stomach

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Stop thinking about the climate and go outside

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It’s way too hot out today for that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

I wouldn't say it's a lie but it is only a big thing for the very wealthy. and emissions by businesses are still the vast majority.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm hiking so much less than I used to because the last few summers have been so humid and gross and the warm winters mean all the trails I'd normally hit in the colder months were just gross mud pits.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Yeah, well the Canadian Football League has cancelled or moved practices indoors and is talking about cancelling outdoor games due to the Alberta fires. Sportsball is being affected. This Is Serious, Mom! DOOM!!!

And :lmao: that the face-eating leopards of the Make Alberta Great Again party poo poo-canned the wildfire fast attack program. Apparently it was wasteful government spending to helicopter a team in while the fire was still only a few hectares, or the private sector would provide, or some loving thing. But now Calgarians have more money in their wallets (and more smoke in their lungs). Vote!

Cough, cough.

Can't even put my transplants out in the garden lest they die of sunstroke. :mad:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I am not a scientist but the area difference in that picture produces a profound sense of dread in my stomach

Have you considered improving your mental health through a combination of toxic positivity, gaslighting, and delusional expectations about the future?

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

lol its already an apocalyptic hellscape, my lungs are fried from a lifetime of air pollution and ozone red days make me dizzy without a respirator. all the coal plants got a waiver and it keeps getting worse, and the grid is still in danger of collapsing over the summer. wheee. last week was the first time i've ever blown a blood vessel in my sinuses, it looked like a tarantino movie.

Jesus Horse has issued a correction as of 16:53 on May 18, 2023

Griz
May 21, 2001

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I've lived in NY/NJ for my entire life and don't remember any of the west coast wildfires before 2020 causing horrendous air quality 3000 miles away with visible haze at ground level that makes your eyes burn.

e: also it was 28 degrees last night so all the plants that started sprouting during the 80 degree weather last month are dead again

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
hey who knows maybe the toxic air will bring back masks 😂

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Air is smokey. Gotta mask and even then my eyes still hurt.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

It's one of those really alarming things getting worse with climate change but the answer is really to go in and plant more fresh trees in the places the wildfires happen and keep planting trees until we get closer to historical levels

Trees are supposed to burn, whole rear end plant and animal lifecycles are built around wildfires and the fertile environments they create when the fires end. Gotta take the bad with the good. Instead of worrying about this normal thing, worry about the problems humans and industry create instead. If you want to help nature along after a fire, plant some trees!

Edit: we're also almost certainly producing more toxic smoke in coal emissions every day than all the wildfires do in a year. The earth can shrug off it's normal emission load, the problem is when we mine or pull concentrated carbon from the earth and burn it.

they're burning hotter, longer, and in places where they're not a traditional part of the ecosystem

they're burning hot enough to sterilize the soil and kill all the seeds that would normally regenerate the forest after a fire

they're burning more acreage than can be regenerated in any reasonable timeframe

they're burning in areas where the climate has changed enough to make forest regrowth unlikely

it's not the carbon that's the problem (although it's not good), the problem is that the fires are worse now than they've been in living memory

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I've got a DIY box fan filter that really helps with the indoor air quality at my house when the smoke comes. It takes like 5 minutes to make.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I would, but I'm in northern Alberta, and it looks like Silent Hill out there.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

but have you considered Silent Hill looked cool

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The smoke does look totally badass when it gets like that. One of the silver linings of climate change.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

From a few years ago I remember being entranced from seeing beautiful dark red and orange sunsets from Indiana, thanks to the wildfires from Oregon.

And I long for those days

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

im_sorry posted:

I would, but I'm in northern Alberta, and it looks like Silent Hill out there.

one upside to Earth's Crispening is that when COVID hit my parents were already fully stocked with N95s because of the constant fires. but of course their house burned down. but N95s!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
if your house is on fire just sell it to the human torch, duh

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
One thing the "wildfires are normal" crew usually fails to address is invasive species problems too. Like california just getting pummeled by eucalyptus. Yes wild files are historically normal and in fact needed for some trees to seed but also if the fire does burn to hot it burns the tree too into an unrecoverable state.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

cat botherer posted:

I've got a DIY box fan filter that really helps with the indoor air quality at my house when the smoke comes. It takes like 5 minutes to make.

That's a pretty sad air filter, it doesn't even have a shroud around the corners.

This is a DIY box fan filter:

https://cleanaircrew.org/box-fan-filters/

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Mayor Dave posted:

they're burning hotter, longer, and in places where they're not a traditional part of the ecosystem

they're burning hot enough to sterilize the soil and kill all the seeds that would normally regenerate the forest after a fire

they're burning more acreage than can be regenerated in any reasonable timeframe

they're burning in areas where the climate has changed enough to make forest regrowth unlikely

it's not the carbon that's the problem (although it's not good), the problem is that the fires are worse now than they've been in living memory

Wrt the bolded part do you have any examples of a place this actually happened because I can only find articles referencing a single study performed in a lab environment drawing this conclusion

I live in a part of the country that gets very hot and routinely sustains wildfires and I come from a part of the country that historically had them prior to mass human intervention and both states were fine

Morels and other post burn fungi and plant life are all over the northeast and proliferated wildly prior to human land and fire management strategies

On that note, part of the problem that study discusses is how human fire management processes contribute to this problem.

We are addicted to controlling our environments idk what else to say. If we hadn't slashed and burned so much of the landscape the fires would be bigger and hotter. Historically forest density was many times larger than it is now. So was ground coverage on the forest floor.

The toxic air is a problem but toxic air from forests burning would be a problem in any healthy ecosystem. If you live in an incredibly developed state you largely eradicated the problem by shrinking your forests and if you want them to grow back after a fire, go get planting. I really don't think they're burning hot enough to salt the earth out there just yet.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 18:37 on May 18, 2023

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
https://www.denverpost.com/2023/03/09/wildfire-forest-regrowth-too-hot-the-west/

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I understand their concern but I don't understand how this wasn't a problem when forests were like 90 times more dense than they are now

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Wrt the bolded part do you have any examples of a place this actually happened because I can only find articles referencing a single study performed in a lab environment drawing this conclusion

I live in a part of the country that gets very hot and routinely sustains wildfires and I come from a part of the country that historically had them prior to mass human intervention and both states were fine

Morels and other post burn fungi and plant life are all over the northeast and proliferated wildly prior to human land and fire management strategies

On that note, part of the problem that study discusses is how human fire management processes contribute to this problem.

We are addicted to controlling our environments idk what else to say. If we hadn't slashed and burned so much of the landscape the fires would be bigger and hotter. Historically forest density was many times larger than it is now. So was ground coverage on the forest floor.
Sterilization of the soil in hot fires is well known and should be intuitively obvious, given that high heat is good at killing things. Big fires with fire tornados and their own lightning storms should not be a normal thing. There is a huge difference between normal fires that clear the underbrush and leave old pines standing and hot crown fires.

Lol you’re literally using Trumps line about the fires being caused by fire suppression and not climate change. Historic fire suppression doesn’t help, but the big reason why this is happening is climate change.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I understand their concern but I don't understand how this wasn't a problem when forests were like 90 times more dense than they are now
Forests did not used to be 90 times more dense than now. You have no idea what you’re talking about, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

This actually addresses that old growth forest is less dense because of the way the forest structures itself over time and the first and second growth forests are the hosed up weird ones that are super dense.

https://e360.yale.edu/features/fighting-fire-with-fire-california-turns-to-prescribed-burning

It also notes that the 20 year draught has a lot to do with just the sheer insane amount of dead wood for fuel

Also this article also addresses that the fires are taking out the seed bearing trees as well https://www.fastcompany.com/90560695/how-to-redesign-a-forest-restoring-californias-trees-in-the-age-of-fire

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 18:43 on May 18, 2023