Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

after a year of iris demanding to be allowed to swim in any standing water deeper than a half inch, no matter how filthy, i finally took her to a swimmable lake

she got scared and wouldn't go any further than knee-deep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a strange fowl posted:

after a year of iris demanding to be allowed to swim in any standing water deeper than a half inch, no matter how filthy, i finally took her to a swimmable lake

That’s totally normal. It’s really hard for them to transition to not being able to touch the bottom! Having another dog there that swims enthusiastically can help. Scout has taught several dog swim lessons because she makes it seem so fun :3:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

I have a Newfoundland who is scared to go any deeper than his ankles. The breeder said that we should shove him off a pier or something and he would figure it out but uhhhhhh I didn't want to do that.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah rescuing a panicked newfie from thinking its drowning does not seem like a winning plan

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo figured it out pretty quick at the creek, because ball is life and you gotta go get that ball.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Having some minor trouble with my otherwise great 9 month old golden retriever that I’d love any advice on. Basically, he’s very slow to obey sometimes, and I think he may be intentionally doing it to get treats.

Bedtime is the worst-he’ll be snoozing while I’m watching TV, and getting him up and out is a chore. But if he hears a treat hit the floor, suddenly he’s not tired anymore. Once we get out he wants to do anything but pee-chew sticks, find rocks, etc. Again he definitely knows what ‘go teetee’ means-I don’t think he suddenly forgot that in the last 2 months. Treats here seem to be counterproductive as gets focused on me having a treat and sits next to me instead of doing his business.

Getting out of the car is another difficult one. I use a ramp for him to get in/out which he is used to, but getting out can be a slow process. I think some of it is that he’s sort of cautious and likes to check things out, but he’ll stand at the top of the ramp looking around for 5 minutes before finally deigning to come out of the car. Again a treat on the bottom of the ramp helps, but even that doesn’t always work. Sometimes he stares at, continues looking around, and then comes and gets the treat. He knows he’ll get the treat, so what’s the rush?

Any advice? I’m certainly not opposed ‘just give him more treats when you want him to do stuff’ but I’d also like for him to do the things quickly and do them when I don’t have a treat.

sayoz
Aug 16, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

9 month old golden retriever

Welcome to the 'teenage'/rebellious phase!

Keep rewarding the behavior you want (even if you have to wait for it) and you'll be through it in a month or two.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Doggo has the massive Cushing's coat and this year's shedding has overwhelmed both our Roomba and my 20 year old Dirt Devil vacuum. After exploring online reviews, and stumbling across a sale currently on at Canadian Tire, I got a Bissell Pet Hair Eraser upright vacuum. Holy christ why did I not get a modern vacuum sooner? Floor hasn't looked this good since its last steam cleaning. And the attachment has the dog's bed hair free. Seriously, this thing works that well. If Dysons are so much better to be worth their about double the (non sale on the Bissel--it is marked down half price right now so if you are in Canada g0g0g0) price I wonder if it just rips out our carpet and refinishes the floor for you.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 13, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A Dyson is a vacuum that costs twice the price so you can regularly clean it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

sayoz posted:

Welcome to the 'teenage'/rebellious phase!

Keep rewarding the behavior you want (even if you have to wait for it) and you'll be through it in a month or two.
this, lol

remember he still loves and respects you, it's just his brain is totally stupid with hormones right now and they're telling him to push back on every rule and be a wolf

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

A Dyson is a vacuum that costs twice the price so you can regularly clean it

Dyson's are super easy to clean, and if you fill out the warranty card, you get a brand new one 13 years later when an irreplicable part breaks.

But they are pricy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I love my Dyson that thing is amazing

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone else's dog do a comfortable wheeze? When mine is very content (getting petted whilst lying down comfortably, or getting his ears rubbed) he makes a very light wheezing sound. It's not like the sound of laboured breathing, more that he ever so slightly engages vocal chords - really hard to describe.

Naturally, googling about this only turns up loads of stuff about breathing problems. He doesn't have any such issues, this is almost like purring.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah Wren does that if I pet him while he's snuggling

Granted he also starts dreaming and huffing and woofing as soon as he falls asleep so I just wrote him off as being weird as hell

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo LOVES to start sneezing whenever we get him on his back for a bellyrub. Not a wheeze but close enough I guess.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
A couple of weeks ago Mr Froglet was playing fetch with Holly at the park only for a border collie to intercept the ball, then swallow it. :stare:

The owner apologised, then said this wasn't the first time their dog had done that. :stare:

Anyway. Mr Froglet was at the park today and found out from some other regulars who know the border collies owner that said border collie ultimately had to have surgery to remove the ball from her small intestine, and seems to be doing well. :dogstare:

Good grief, glad the dog is okay and recovering well now, though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This is a HoF level of No Take

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

froglet posted:

A couple of weeks ago Mr Froglet was playing fetch with Holly at the park only for a border collie to intercept the ball, then swallow it. :stare:

The owner apologised, then said this wasn't the first time their dog had done that. :stare:

Anyway. Mr Froglet was at the park today and found out from some other regulars who know the border collies owner that said border collie ultimately had to have surgery to remove the ball from her small intestine, and seems to be doing well. :dogstare:

today, in things I am SO glad my dog doesn't do....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of, while we had a fence lady over to get us a quote for a new fence, Apollo helped demonstrate WHY we want a new fence by wriggling out the back corner in front of the lady. :doh:

Thankfully she helped me retrieve him, and well, we're getting a new fence!!!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

froglet posted:

My dog once let me play a game called “spot the duck”

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

At a dog show once I saw one of the top cattle dogs in the country eat a feathery cat toy his handler was using as bait as the handler desperately tried to pry it out of his mouth without attracting attention from the judge. I guess he did it pretty regularly and the handler just made him barf it up back in their hotel room after winning breed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A Maltese terrier my dad had like.. 15 years ago swallowed a hand towel and they didn't find out before it perforated his intestine and caused necrosis. Poor Basil..

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My lab ate like a tea towel sized piece of a bedsheet a while back. Thankfully she digested it all. She has an incredible digestive system given the amount of stuff she's pushed through it. I try so hard to keep things away from her, I don't know how she still finds all this stuff!!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo LOVES to start sneezing whenever we get him on his back for a bellyrub. Not a wheeze but close enough I guess.

Oh when my dog rolls onto his back I have learned to get out of the way for exactly this reason. He will sneeze without exception.

froglet posted:

Our last dog was a malamute/collie cross and he had a problem with tennis balls for this reason. Even kept on a lead he'd manage to find ones we'd not seen and eat them - I think over the course of his 10 years he had to have around 4 surgically removed and it got to the stage where we were considering a muzzle just to stop this behaviour. He was epileptic and it was the drugs for that which gave him this problem with eating stuff. We joked with the vet that they should have installed a zipper on his stomach.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
Alright, my puppy training was going well, but a wrench just got thrown in (don't they always?).

I live in a rural area in a tropical country. Cockroaches are impossible to eliminate from outdoor areas, and since the weather has gotten warm my little nutjob (2 mo. Corgi) has become adept at hunting them down and eating them. So beyond the ick factor, I'm worried she'll eat one that has been poisoned or recently ran through something particularly nasty. Plus, the quantity... She got three of them last night just that I saw. In like, 20 minutes. She weighs 1.9 kilograms. It can't be good to have that much insect in your gut. Furthermore...

It's interfering with her bathroom habits. She used to always go as soon as possible after getting out of her crate or going outside, but now she's feverishly hunting cockroaches and forgetting about eliminating. We'd (the wife and I) been trying to teach her "leave it" already but it was slow going and she's crazy for these drat bugs. She displays aggressive food guarding over these roaches, much moreso than her regular food.

I don't like this habit. Is there any strategy I could try? Besides just waiting for her to finish all the cockroaches within a square kilometer?

Tldr: the only outdoor area my pup can poop has roaches, and said puppy has become a Roach hunting expert with a taste for the crunch.

Clowner fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 15, 2023

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'd take her out on a leash for now and keep a billion amazing treats on hand to work on leave it. The second she looks at a roach cram a treat in her mouth so she starts automatically looking to you for snacks whenever she sees a roach.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I'd take her out on a leash for now and keep a billion amazing treats on hand to work on leave it. The second she looks at a roach cram a treat in her mouth so she starts automatically looking to you for snacks whenever she sees a roach.

She's just started leash training so I'll try this.

Puppy tax:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scout and I went to something called the cattle dog jubilee over the weekend and did all the sports. She got two new barn hunt titles in 5 trials with 2 high in classes and 2 second places, passed her AKC temperament test with the highest marks possible, did 3 fastcat runs (a 100 yard dash for dogs), 6 dock diving splashes, and showed in conformation twice.

All of that fun won her the versatility challenge and we got an obnoxiously large rosette and a gaudy belt buckle that I love.

The best swine :3:

Also she saw some baby kittens being fostered there one day and immediately start producing milk so she did all those sports with big ole swinging hog tits which I think should give us some extra points.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Scout and I went to something called the cattle dog jubilee over the weekend and did all the sports.
:3:

quote:

Also she saw some baby kittens being fostered there one day and immediately start producing milk so she did all those sports with big ole swinging hog tits which I think should give us some extra points.
:kimchi: what a dog

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

the biblical cattledog jubilee is when all the cattledogs of the world are set free and they reclaim australia

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

This is Ziggy. This month he has had two seizures a week apart. He's about 3 years old now, nothing else wrong with him as far as I know. Taking him into the vet today so hopefully we can start trending that seizure amount back closer to zero a month.

Today's seizure was scary, it lasted a good while but it seemed more like a partial seizure. Previously he would definitely vocalize before it started and paddle for the duration, but this time he just started shaking kind of violently and lost coordination, but still seemed to be aware of it happening and of other stimuli. What really scared me is that I timed it and it was getting drat close to 6-7 minutes before he came out of it (I was on the phone with the closest emergency vet by that point too)

Love this little dude, really hope nothing major is wrong with him :ohdear:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Not sure if this is the righ thread for it, but it’s puppy adjacent so I think it’s appropriate.

I had to put down my wonderful doggo a month ago and it’s been a rough ride ever since. I miss her every single day and keep expecting her to still be there. Like when I’m cooking, I look behind me to not step on her. Or thinking about going for a walk the first thing in the morning when waking up as well as when I want to go to bed. Whenever I walk into the living room or kitchen I look at the spots she used to sit or chill, still sort of expecting to see her. The rest of my family is feeling exactly the same way.

We’ve been so used to her being a part in every single day of our lives for over a decade that it’s incredibly difficult not having her around. We are a dog fam and we need a dog in our home…

Which leads to my question, what’s a good amount of time to start looking for a new dog, is a month too soon?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

LochNessMonster posted:

Not sure if this is the righ thread for it, but it’s puppy adjacent so I think it’s appropriate.

I had to put down my wonderful doggo a month ago and it’s been a rough ride ever since. I miss her every single day and keep expecting her to still be there. Like when I’m cooking, I look behind me to not step on her. Or thinking about going for a walk the first thing in the morning when waking up as well as when I want to go to bed. Whenever I walk into the living room or kitchen I look at the spots she used to sit or chill, still sort of expecting to see her. The rest of my family is feeling exactly the same way.

We’ve been so used to her being a part in every single day of our lives for over a decade that it’s incredibly difficult not having her around. We are a dog fam and we need a dog in our home…

Which leads to my question, what’s a good amount of time to start looking for a new dog, is a month too soon?

We lost our 15yo dog in April. We were going to take awhile and look for a new dog. We both WFH and so we had the same experience, plus sitting at home all day with no dog.

My wife's family member reached out to us the same week. She is an American Eskimo breeder and had a dog returned to her because the owner died suddenly. She wanted to know if we wanted her. She checked almost all our boxes, and was really a unique dog. We saw some pictures and videos, and we thought about it awhile, and I decided that it doesn't matter how long we wait to get a new dog. Our old dog is still with us in our memories, in all the pictures on the walls, in her paw print and her ashes. We decided to take in the new dog 2 weeks after our old dog passed. It was the right choice, for sure. We bonded with the new dog quickly and we still think / talk about our old dog with her, almost like she was her older sister.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Every person is different, every grief is different. There's no right or wrong way to navigate the heartbreak of losing a beloved pet. If you feel like you're emotionally ready to start looking, go for it.

Much sympathy :glomp: I knew losing my old man was going to destroy me so I got a second third dog ahead of time. It was still awful but I can't imagine coming home to an empty house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The trick is to get a puppy every time a dog you own turns 5.

Sorry for your loss :( :glomp:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Appreciate the kind words and advice. We’ve got a family vacation coming up so we’re definitely not getting a pup before that, but I know my wife already has been looking at suitable breeds and has been bookmarking reputable breeders (probably some on speed dial already as well :v:)

coming home to an empty house.

This is by far the worst thing. :cry:

No more happy greets when you come home. No glancing eyes when you come downstairs in the morning. No tailwagging and happy barking when you come home from work. It sure hits a lot harder than I could’ve ever imagined.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Yeah, I couldn't stand it myself, we got Jasper about three months after Angus died. I was going through some other stuff at the time as well, and lack of dog was not helping with that.

I like to think of it as honoring his memory, that we were willing to go through it all again. Just remember that new dog is not old dog. Sure I still call him Angus accidentally from time to time, but he's a whole different animal.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I sometimes call my son by my dogs name right now, so I completely get that :cawg:

We’re looking at different breeds as well since our lifestyle has changed and we want to make sure our new dog fits in well. Also still considering if we should adopt one instead of getting a pup.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I vaguely looked into breeders a while ago so I know what I'm getting into soonish here

I don't want anything but another Akita now and my sweet girl is almost 12 and has lymphoma and is nearing the end :smith:

Mostly I'm just upset that since she was adopted at around 3.5 years I missed like a third of her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LochNessMonster posted:

Also still considering if we should adopt one instead of getting a pup.

Most shelters and rescues get puppies often. They tend to go fast, sometimes before they're even listed on Petfinder. But they're around. So unless you have a particular need for a specific breed, you can adopt and still get a puppy.

You could also find a young dog (10 months to two years) to adopt, which is what I've done the last two times. You'll have a better sense of what the dog's personality might be like, and as a bonus it may already be housetrained.

It's worth getting on Petfinder to see what's in your area. If you're looking for rarer breeds/mixes, you may want to physically go to the shelters. New dogs from in-demand breeds (especially -oodles) show up frequently but usually get adopted fast.