Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Honestly I just want this season to be over. It’s trying to do too many things and landing none of them.

The story is about 4 teens taking over this secret agency like Kids Next Door except they fight The Doodler instead of adults.
No! The story is about how our world and The Forgotten Realms switched places and now they have to travel to the REAL real world.
No! They're actually just going to travel back and forth quite easily.
No! Now they have to go to Hell and-
NO! Back to Normal's house!

There's also the fact that I am an adult man and cannot loving stand teen drama. Four dads searching for their kids resonates with me a lot more than four teens whining and arguing about how adults suck.

Squack McQuack fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Listened to ep30 uncut today, and there's a lot of them discussing "boy this Scary arc is the same thing over and over how do we pull out?" They're certainly aware it's been an issue.

So while they seem to have taken their time with it a little, hopefully it's going to be dialled back after ep31 ended like it did, at least for a good while.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

geri_khan posted:

Listened to ep30 uncut today, and there's a lot of them discussing "boy this Scary arc is the same thing over and over how do we pull out?" They're certainly aware it's been an issue.

So while they seem to have taken their time with it a little, hopefully it's going to be dialled back after ep31 ended like it did, at least for a good while.

That's good to hear. It has never really landed with me.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Beth mentioned in Talking Dads that she had some anxiety over the same thing.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

If you're going to turn on your team you have to commit to it. Half measures just wind up being, well, what we've been listening to. Beth could have, and should have, gone all in, surrendered Scary to Anthony's control as a new villain, and taken over Hero Oak as a character, especially with the reveal.

It was a mistake and I'm glad they've decided to move past it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I wonder if part of the problem is that it's a bunch of writers trying to improvise. It feels like they (especially Anthony) have an expectation that they want the story to move along at a scripted pace, except the problem is that half the script is being made up in real time by the characters as they go along, so there's not as much of a coherent, planned path forward as they're all used to. Especially for major plot beats/character conflicts like this one, I guess interpersonal conflict is messier and more complicated to resolve than when you're following a script, I can't blame them too much for having a hard time improvising a way through it.

I agree that the plot of the campaign is a bit of a mess, but I'm still enjoying the season. The personalities/talent are all still there and the episodes are all funny and entertaining to listen to. I'm usually listening to these podcasts while I'm doing something else anyway, so even if the plot were a bit tighter I'd probably still be lost tbh, I kind of live in the moment with these shows sometimes, and so far the moments have been good.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder if part of the problem is that it's a bunch of writers trying to improvise. It feels like they (especially Anthony) have an expectation that they want the story to move along at a scripted pace, except the problem is that half the script is being made up in real time by the characters as they go along, so there's not as much of a coherent, planned path forward as they're all used to. Especially for major plot beats/character conflicts like this one, I guess interpersonal conflict is messier and more complicated to resolve than when you're following a script, I can't blame them too much for having a hard time improvising a way through it.

I agree that the plot of the campaign is a bit of a mess, but I'm still enjoying the season. The personalities/talent are all still there and the episodes are all funny and entertaining to listen to. I'm usually listening to these podcasts while I'm doing something else anyway, so even if the plot were a bit tighter I'd probably still be lost tbh, I kind of live in the moment with these shows sometimes, and so far the moments have been good.

I sort of agree this is a tough thing to improv but the problem is all the pre-written parts are equally rough with respect to the character work. Hell was a fully planned arc that Anthony sent the team into and it still had zero direction, momentum, or apparent purpose. The pod's been in a serious rough patch for a while in this respect, I feel; there's obviously lots of stuff that's causing problems but Anthony pretty clearly has no overarching plan or thoughts here (beyond "what if Handsome Jack groomed teens") and it's seriously hampering everyone's ability to engage.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Trying to only glance at this thread to avoid spoilers, but I checked out about 10 months ago probably 7 episodes into season 2, it just wasnt capturing that magic of the first season and it doesnt seem like it's got any better really, that an accurate conclusion?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The consensus of the thread at least seems to be that the story is a bit of a mess, but they seem to have found their comedic footing a little better in the past few months worth of episodes.

I’m still enjoying the show and look forward to the episode coming out each week, but I’ve always been in it more for the goofs

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

I still really enjoy the show on a piece by piece basis, I just have to stop trying to see it as a cohesive whole, because it's not.

And the patreon after-show is still consistently hilarious.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Looks like they hosed up again and put the mbic on the no-ads patreon feed. Pretty fun little 15 minutes of chaos trying to build a rocket to escape a doomed earth.

Speaking of the patreon, I joined before they started doing ad breaks and only just realized they have entertaining ads, so I started back from the beginning. Does anyone know if they do that thing where they update old episodes to have new ads? Currently getting a lot of Chime and "Etsy me, Mario! [matt laughs hysterically]"

Anyway it is incredible how much faster that season moves, at least early on. By episode eleven you've already got Gartok, Cern, the pyramid, Paedon, Scam Likely, Erin O'Neil, and the Library, and only three of those were thought of ahead of time by Anthony. I'm still enjoying season 2 but wow I forgot how strong it was when it started as a high stakes/low planning adventure.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

honestly as someone who mostly dislikes the podcast i think anthony isn't the worst at improv and moment to moment character work and plot complications. outside of the part where he thinks he's better than having to run D&D and is vocally resentful at the idea of being bound by rules (and then, naturally, regularly introduces homebrewed mechanics that just blow), i think he could dm a pretty entertaining campaign.

unfortunately he's way worse at macro concerns like establishing the right tone and pacing a plot in pre-written stuff, which leads to all kinds of issues from the start of season 2 being slow and lacking momentum to the late season 1 extremely tedious dog abandonment and child abuse episode. season 2 has been a struggle between his weaknesses in the macro and his relative strengths in the micro (and between the players' good fun-having drive and their tedious slow burn character development drive) that i've found honestly instructive and interesting

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Friend posted:

Looks like they hosed up again and put the mbic

The what?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Snowy posted:

The what?

Monthly bonus of indeterminable content for the $10 tier, it came up on my rss feed as an mbic but the patreon just says "Bonus" so maybe they thought 15 minutes wasn't enough to justify it :shrug:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Friend posted:

Looks like they hosed up again and put the mbic on the no-ads patreon feed. Pretty fun little 15 minutes of chaos trying to build a rocket to escape a doomed earth.

Speaking of the patreon, I joined before they started doing ad breaks and only just realized they have entertaining ads, so I started back from the beginning. Does anyone know if they do that thing where they update old episodes to have new ads? Currently getting a lot of Chime and "Etsy me, Mario! [matt laughs hysterically]"

Anyway it is incredible how much faster that season moves, at least early on. By episode eleven you've already got Gartok, Cern, the pyramid, Paedon, Scam Likely, Erin O'Neil, and the Library, and only three of those were thought of ahead of time by Anthony. I'm still enjoying season 2 but wow I forgot how strong it was when it started as a high stakes/low planning adventure.

I don't know if they swap out the ads, but if you want to listen to them without going through the whole podcast again, they have them all compiled here. It looks like they list the discount codes there (and say when they old ones have expired) so that's not a terrible place to check out if you want some PODCASTER(TM) products.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Valentin posted:

honestly as someone who mostly dislikes the podcast i think anthony isn't the worst at improv and moment to moment character work and plot complications. outside of the part where he thinks he's better than having to run D&D and is vocally resentful at the idea of being bound by rules (and then, naturally, regularly introduces homebrewed mechanics that just blow), i think he could dm a pretty entertaining campaign.

Eevryone is better than having to run D&D because it sucks rear end but they made a loving podcast name choice

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

goblin week posted:

Eevryone is better than having to run D&D because it sucks rear end but they made a loving podcast name choice

Proper D&D combat is a joyless slog to listen to. I listen to another actual play podcast and one combat encounter can take a whole episode.

My personal taste of course

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ghouldaddy07 posted:

Proper D&D combat is a joyless slog to listen to. I listen to another actual play podcast and one combat encounter can take a whole episode.

My personal taste of course

Yeah, that's basically why I can never get into Critical Role. I really want to, and the characters really appeal to me, but the combat is such a slog that I always give up after like 5-10 episodes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yeah, that's basically why I can never get into Critical Role. I really want to, and the characters really appeal to me, but the combat is such a slog that I always give up after like 5-10 episodes.

Just watch the show, or read the comics. You can get the character stuff without any of the actual play stuff.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

well, im glad the show is no longer the "Scary Betrayal Power Hour" but the trip to goof realm was, uh, not exactly what i hoped for

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

On the one hand, Beth and Freddie were given the easiest characters to imitate, blew it, and seemed hesitant to contribute anything; Matt played it fairly safe but kept things moving as usual, and some of Anthony's stuff sounds good on paper but fell a bit flat.

But on the other hand, everything Will did was a high point of this season. His rant about rick and morty fans' reputation and Freddie being terrible ("good job you finally got one") and his desperate and rapid-fire Aristocrats joke were incredible.

But I've been going through some stuff this week so maybe the levity just hit me different

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I think the next episode, with someone from Craigslist judging their stand up routines should be interesting. Not the hugest fan of this particular bit they're doing, seems like they're floundering a bit but it's decently entertaining with Will and Beth.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Friend posted:

On the one hand, Beth and Freddie were given the easiest characters to imitate, blew it, and seemed hesitant to contribute anything; Matt played it fairly safe but kept things moving as usual, and some of Anthony's stuff sounds good on paper but fell a bit flat.

But on the other hand, everything Will did was a high point of this season. His rant about rick and morty fans' reputation and Freddie being terrible ("good job you finally got one") and his desperate and rapid-fire Aristocrats joke were incredible.

But I've been going through some stuff this week so maybe the levity just hit me different

It would have been so much better if Beth could have been Jared Leto's Joker. I don't think it's totally her fault that the Napoleon Dynamite character isn't working as well, the movie's humor doesn't work as well in only audio form. The visuals are what helps sell the deadpan comedy. Freddie has no excuse for flubbing Austin Powers so hard though, and I agree that Will loving NAILED it as Borat and Rick. Full Marks, no notes.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

This was definitely Will's show.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Honestly, Will crushing it is a nice change of pace from Matt owning every funny beat this whole season

How Freddy couldn’t pull out a single decent joke is beyond me

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Speaking of Matt owning scenes, the latest bonus episode is just that.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Begging Freddie to dial it back like 15%

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Freddie is the Travis of DnDads

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Watch season 2 but drink every time Anthony sets something up but Freddy tries to change it.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

goblin week posted:

Freddie is the Travis of DnDads
this is rude but correct

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I didn’t want to say it but I was thinking it

I dunno he isn’t quite Travis bad to me, he is capable of being really funny (the improvised “i’m going to kill you” argument he had with Anthony playing normal’s sister was an example of him towards the top of him game imo, but it’s possibly telling that I had to think back a few episodes to remember a good Taylor scene) but I wish he would talk a little less and listen a little more and maybe ask “is this the right time for an anime joke?” before interjecting into an emotional scene

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Freddie suffers from main character syndrome even when he’s in an ensemble. It was pretty obvious in season 1 but even worse in 2

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Woahwoahwoahwoahwaitwaitwaitwaityaknowwhatitis?yaknowwhatitis?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

*interrupting*

Nononono, no no

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Freddie just isn't that great at improv and if he's thrown into another lane he doesn't know much about you get him on the last Goofy episode. Him fighting himself really was peak Freddie and that crossed over into hilarious because no one else would drag it out that long.

Thinking about it one of the reason Sons and Sonsibilities works so well besides Amanda being a rock star is he's very lost in that time period. So for the most part his main character tendencies don't come up.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 18, 2023

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah, this is exactly what came to mind. Listening to season 1, it was actually off-putting to not hear the DM or a player set something up without Freddy doing that.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

eh freddie misses more than he hits but his hits are good and I'd rather listen to 60 episodes of players lobbing jokes with varying success then a single episode of the child abuse show or teen drama hour, so he's good in my book. I do think he's gotten worse as the show has moved away from anything resembling dnd gameplay since it was clearly one of the things that engaged him (like his elaborate oil fire play in s1 or the other various tricks he pulled), but since his most recent attempt at an interesting play got no-sold by "the archdemon is defeated by a single acid spray, also your dad is dead," I don't really blame him for that.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Yeah I don't have any particular ill will for Freddy, but I just find the one-upping to be one of the causes of why I'm cold on season 2. I sometimes have trouble setting up scenes in my mind because they keep writer-rooming characters and settings.

I also get really confused with the world, but that's likely also just me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah he’s noticeably the weakest link of the show (at least the performance parts; I get the sense he does a lot of behind the scenes stuff, or at least the way he tells it) but not so weak that he makes me want to stop listening, which is more than I can say for Travis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yeah I’d just stop listening if I didn’t like the crew. Instead I’ll just deal with Freddie being a little annoying and Matt being needlessly obstinate and Will being perfect.