Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They are the hyperspace disaster instigators, yeah. From books and comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arguably the most interesting thing about them is they have unique and unconventional Hyperspace routes called "Paths" that require specialized cottage made drives IIRC made by a force sensitive they have duped/coerced.

This would explain how they managed to show up to Tanalor by surprise and in force.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, somebody needs to be at the helm. Especially for something like 'a trilogy of movies trying to tell a cohesive story.'

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sakurazuka posted:

Are the Nihil like from anything else or made up for this game? I don't follow the larger SW universe anymore. Same with the hyperspace disaster thing.
They're from The High Republic, which is an ongoing series of books and comics set about 200 years before the movies (and also the in-universe name for the era as mentioned by the characters in this game).

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They used them pretty well here, I think. You don't need to read any of the books to understand their role in the game's plot — or vice versa — but both the books and the game are made a little richer if you feel like dedicating the time to do so.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rascyc posted:

I think the worst was bounty hunting though, the quests sent me to like shattered moon and other planets when I had almost no other reason to go there. I just stopped doing bounties at some point in the game.

This really annoyed me, in no small part because they could have done the intro to those quests way earlier and then just had them organically show up in the area you just finished. If anything it would make more sense that way, like they're hot on your trail and going to the places you just were.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

it remains incredible to me that after a 4bn transaction to acquire proprietary rights to arguably America's greatest and most influential cultural product of the 20th century they didn't take the simple step of a week long writers room to hash out in stone at least a rough 3 movie outline.

just letting directors play bizarro improv doing "no and" to the previous film

we must forgive them a lot though, for the disney acquisition gave us turgle, the greatest addition to the canon since 1977

There is an hilarious interview between Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas, where Kennedy outs herself as knowing absolutely nothing about the lore of the I.P. she has complete control over. The current president of LucasFilms is a complete and utter dingbat, and I imagine it takes a lot of fighting with this moron in order to make actual good Star Wars content.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I said come in! posted:

There is an hilarious interview between Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas, where Kennedy outs herself as knowing absolutely nothing about the lore of the I.P. she has complete control over. The current president of LucasFilms is a complete and utter dingbat, and I imagine it takes a lot of fighting with this moron in order to make actual good Star Wars content.

drat I always thought the Kennedy Hate was "girl in the clubhouse" reaction but this sounds like a smoking gun. got a link?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I said come in! posted:

There is an hilarious interview between Kathleen Kennedy and George Lucas, where Kennedy outs herself as knowing absolutely nothing about the lore of the I.P. she has complete control over.

Neither does Tony Gilroy, but please keep insisting the reason people don't like Kennedy is something other than woman bad.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

drat I always thought the Kennedy Hate was "girl in the clubhouse" reaction but this sounds like a smoking gun. got a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5azoEzwTi60

It's really not girl in the clubhouse reactions. She is just a very stupid person and poorly equipped to handle such a massive I.P. She probably is not the only person at LucasFilms making really bad decisions, but she heads the company currently and is the leader of everyone else.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Neither does Tony Gilroy, but please keep insisting the reason people don't like Kennedy is something other than woman bad.

I mean you can pretend that this is what it is, but the quality of the sequel trilogy speaks for itself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Kennedy took credit for the "Palpatine comes back in Episode IX" thing which alone I feel like is pretty bad.

It's also why I don't really blame JJ Abrams because if he had to work with something as major as that imagine what else he was under.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 18, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ehhhh again, episode 9 is bad in ways that are extremely specific to JJ Abrams. Having compelling mysteries fail to pay off in interesting ways, and setting up stupid new mysteries when you're supposed to be wrapping the story up are kind of his stock in trade.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

mycot posted:

Kennedy took credit for the "Palpatine comes back in Episode IX" thing which alone I feel like is pretty bad.

It's also why I don't really blame JJ Abrams because if he had to work with something as major as that imagine what else he was under.

Man JJ sucks but having that one handed down as a must-run really does feel like some Misery poo poo.

Though if I remember the book correctly, King's self-insert actually manages to turn out a good novel working from his captor's edict to return a dead character.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's plenty of blame to go around for the lovely post-acquisition Star Wars stuff but at the end of the day the buck stops at the person in charge. It's something that baffles me because Kennedy spent YEARS working with Spielberg on his run of 80's and 90's blockbusters. You figure if there's one person who knows how to keep the hits coming, it would be her.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
IIRC as part of directing TFA, Abrams was on the hook to plan the remaining two movies. In typical JJ Abrams fashion, he just... didn't do that. He set up Rian Johnson and crew for failure, they made a flawed-but-interesting (and at least thoughtful in parts) story, and then Abrams acted like a toddler who didn't like sharing his toy for a minute.

He has chronic creator brain in that he gets halfway through a project, gets stuck in the mid-project doldrums that are part of most endeavors, then bails on that project so he can explore a new unrelated one. Lost was the canary in the mine. He spread himself too thin for over a decade, and it finally caught up to him with TRoS. He was forced to both a) finish the plan he never made in the first place, b) accept a handoff from another creative that he wasn't prepared for, and c) nod along with a bad executive decision (PALPATINE).

I agree it would be interesting to see Abrams lead an project from start to finish; for my bit, it's less "I think the material will be fun and layered" and more "dude's a talking trainwreck who is just now learning the importance of plans".

Anyway, I think he should stick with one-shots (like Super 8). Keep him far away from ongoing series; he doesn't have the creative discipline to see them through. Make more Star Wars stories like Andor and Fallen Order/Survivor - but don't lump all that on Gilroy/Respawn/et al. Let other creatives carry the cognitive load so the existing ones aren't overburdened.

isk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 18, 2023

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Owlbear Camus posted:

They're talking about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY from around the Disney acquisition. It's hard to take that clip at face value anymore now that we know this was just before Disney decided to dump all of Lucas' scripts and go their own way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would love for Denis Villeneuve to make a one off Star Wars movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I said come in! posted:

As long as we get Dave Bautista as a man with tiny glasses, hell yes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rascyc posted:

They're talking about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY from around the Disney acquisition. It's hard to take that clip at face value anymore now that we know this was just before Disney decided to dump all of Lucas' scripts and go their own way.

Starting to come around to Lucas' weird Osmosis Jones pitch couldn't have been any worse than the ST we got.

I said come in! posted:

You are hurting me by taunting me with something I can never have.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

I said come in! posted:

Villeneuve for a Nightsisters of Dathomir story pls. Make it weird (as in Robert E. Howard's Weird Tales, not "that awkward coworker we all know")

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

You are hurting me by taunting me with something I can never have.

I am hurting myself with this. At least Dune Part 2 is just around the corner.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wasn’t she basically responsible for Empire, the best one?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dogen posted:

I know Fox Studios insisted on a different director, but dont know much more than that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dogen posted:

I can't find Kathleen Kennedy having any connection to Star Wars before 2012. You might be thinking of the "Marcia Lucas, George Lucas' ex-wife, is the real creator of Star Wars" theory, which while fun, lost a lot of traction because it critically relies on the assumption that the prequels are a huge drop in quality, which this prequel trilogy loving forum will not do.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dogen posted:

She was responsible for basically harshing Lucas and telling him to hand over the reins, but not in SW. George basically put her in charge as his successor specifically because she was willing to tell him to shut up and change things, and historically across the Indy films, etc, she had had a very good run of being correct.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I said come in! posted:

It's really not girl in the clubhouse reactions. She is just a very stupid person and poorly equipped to handle such a massive I.P. She probably is not the only person at LucasFilms making really bad decisions, but she heads the company currently and is the leader of everyone else.

I haven't followed any of the online Kathleen Kennedy debate stuff at all over the years, so I'm genuinely curious: what's supposed to be the big gotcha moment here? The thing she says about people making bad choices? I don't get it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

I haven't followed any of the online Kathleen Kennedy debate stuff at all over the years, so I'm genuinely curious: what's supposed to be the big gotcha moment here? The thing she says about people making bad choices? I don't get it.

GIRL BAD

On the topic of JJ and Kathleen, they didn't actually get along well at all. JJ was a nepotism hire by Bob Iger from my understanding because they wanted a big name attached. KK had wanted Favreau to head up the trilogy but was shot down.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Is the game fixed now or what

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

She was responsible for basically harshing Lucas and telling him to hand over the reins, but not in SW. George basically put her in charge as his successor specifically because she was willing to tell him to shut up and change things, and historically across the Indy films, etc, she had had a very good run of being correct.

For Indiana Jones, what happened with Crystal Skull? I don't get how that turned out to be such a disaster. I just remember it being unwatchable garbage, I never finished seeing that film all the way through.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

taco_fox posted:

Not really. :( The frame rate still sucks on console. I mean you can play from start to finish and have a great time. The game is amazing, but the frame rate issues remind me of Bloodborne.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Played start to finish on PS5 in Quality mode and it was fine. It choked on waterfalls but that's about it. I had about 4 random crashes but nothing bad - just in the overworld. Nothing got in the way during fights performance wise - it was smooth and worked well.

I played Elden Ring the same way so expect roughly the same performance.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, the patches have helped some, but I'm still getting a fair amount of slowdown/frame drops, screen tearing, pop-in etc. It feels a lot like Fallen Order did before I played it on a series X, tbh.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Fuzz posted:

On the topic of JJ and Kathleen, they didn't actually get along well at all. JJ was a nepotism hire by Bob Iger from my understanding because they wanted a big name attached. KK had wanted Favreau to head up the trilogy but was shot down.

I remember Brad Bird being in the conversation at one point, and man, I wish I lived in the universe where that came to fruition. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Regarding the ending, the orchestral rendition of "Fields of Dusk" playing over the credits was sublime, holy poo poo. I'm not sure the game's bittersweet ending could have been complemented any better.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kennedy is the business head of Lucasfilm, and doesn't have to be a lore nerd. Her main goof was trusting JJ because he was a hot young director whose films had buzz and made money, and who was also a huge SW nerd. As it turns out, that's not enough of a qualification.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

taco_fox posted:

Stutters seem a lot less on PC now except Koboh town which is still kind of rough. Pretty much locked 60 the whole time though other than that. Better than it was at launch for sure.

e: there are still stutters at random times though which sucks, not perfect but a lot better

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 18, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's as playable on PC as the original, probably, or more in some ways. Less overall stutter I'd say, I forget how stuttery the first one still is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Fuzz posted:

But his whole point was that the Jedi had lost their way and were doing it wrong, that's why the Order collapsed.

I understand what he intended to do, but he’s not a very good writer or director so what we ended up getting was a bunch of characters that I only like by virtue of them being holdovers from the original trilogy where I did like them, or Samuel L Jackson who I like because he’s Sam Jackson, but otherwise the films go out of their way to show that every Jedi is an arrogant prick and it undercuts the tragedy of Order 66 because they’re all assholes that deserved what they got.

I said come in! posted:

Remember that George Lucas hand picked Kennedy to run Lucasfilm.

Kennedy is not stupid she’s a very accomplished motion picture producer, unfortunately being a talented producer doesn’t mean that you have the skill required to be a studio head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh man, I just hit a big setpiece moment on Jedha and that poo poo loving ruled. Got to see Cal and Merrin smooch and Merrin turn into Wraith from Apex Legends dialed up to 11. 10/10.