Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is great, ditching the half assed pseudo classic hipster nonsense has done wonders. Seems like the frame is less ugly too.

It looks like a carefully calculated marketing ploy, nothing about that looks like a person designed it cause it looks nice, it is like a visual checklist of retro bullshit they needed to fulfill

I agree, but it's also an extremely well calculated and executed marketing ploy. It's like they took this idealized, almost Socratic "target market" customer and designed a bike to appeal to this ficticious person, and I'll be damned if he didn't show up and buy the poo poo out of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

A MIRACLE posted:

Hmm there’s a z900rs nearby for sale

Having ridden a goon’s Z900RS, it is a fantastic bike. More agile and obviously more powerful than my Bonneville T120, but I still prefer my bike. I would recommend the 2 bikes just about equally, depending on your experience and what you want out of it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think the R9T looks fine and I dunno what all you weirdos are on about

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

You're a documented square so this tracks

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It also weighs 500lb somehow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine taking a GS

And taking all the dadbike adv bullshit off and replacing it with normal bike things

And then slapping a bunch of outdated pseudo hip crap on there

That's how

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Russian Bear posted:

It also weighs 500lb somehow.

It's a bmw so I assume that's mostly wires

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Are you a mid 40s to early 50s heterosexual man, working in technical and/or managerial position, with graying facial hair, who, if he doesn't have a tattoo, kind of wishes he did?
Do you earn the sort of salary that makes you think you ought to have some kind of boat, but do not as of yet own a boat? Do you have, or have you ever considered getting a private pilot's license?
Have you ever entertained the thought that a four cylinder engine making well over 100hp is far too much for the road?

BMW has the motorcycle for you.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thread H-D stan criticising BMW for being style over substance is pretty funny

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

We can criticize multiple brands don’t worry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harleys are mostly ugly too :shrug:

Just in a less focus-groupy way

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The recent heatwave in the PNW has brought out the fairweather Harley Dadson 500 mi/yr riders.

Costco jeans? - Check
Sunglasses? - Check
Pointy cowboy boots? - Check
Being utterly confused by gas pumps, how do they loving work? - Check

Trying to peel out of the dispensary parking lot but just rolling away jankily across the intersection? - You loving bet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One magical day, after a long day loving with dumb bikes and a sweaty halfway-home ride on a bicycle, I got to see a dude on an older dyna wheelie from a stoplight like a mad man (so a little bit off the ground), seemingly straight for the back of the car across the intersection, haul on the brakes, barely miss the car by a foot and turn into the kfc carpark entrance. It looked mostly on purpose and well executed.

Every other day I see a dude with a lovely vrod rattlecanned black with the tbars and red sneakers to match waddle down the road hammering the throttle on and off like a toddler

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Motorcycling is inherently dangerous, but I feel like those guys are really skewing the numbers on us here.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pretty much.

Over here, 90% of accidents that involve a biker and another road user, is caused by a car hitting the biker.

However, 90% of accidents overall is a biker by themselves screwing themselves over, most often because of overestimating themselves and too high speeds.

This is why i pay a laughable 6,50 to 7 euro a month for liability insurance. Those who wipe themselves out, don't get a cent from liability insurance. Almost all of the other accidents, the other party is liable.

There's also some scandinavian research on riders that conclude that the majority of motorcycle accidents involves a drunk rider, skewing the statistics. I still can't imagine why you would even want to ride a motorcycle while drunk. Go ride a bicycle or something. Makes you feel better when you go to bed too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Something like a quarter of people who crash their bike in the US don’t have a motorcycle license.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Opopanax posted:

I mean yeah, it's ugly

But it's ugly in the way a bulldog is ugly, where it still has some kind charm to it

What doesn't come across in pictures is it's loving tiny, just incredibly compact. My Honda 125 took up more space than one of these things.

Not that it's a bad thing, just surprising the first time you get to stand next to one

e/ there's also a ton of options for them, if you're riding it the way you bought it from the dealer you're either doing it wrong or by chance they already customised it just the way you want it

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 15, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

An actual example in the wild. Note the most important upgrades, low mount bar end mirrors and side number plate holder, but no skills to remove old plate holder.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I just learned that a friend of a friend got killed last week in a crash with a car on a stretch of highway I've ridden on several times. I never knew the man but I know he was an experienced rider. Cops don't give any details other than two vehicles being involved, but according to a self-proclaimed internet forum witness who passed by the scene there was a small passenger car with a damaged rear end and a mangled motorcycle at the scene.

Anyway, this sucks and really brought home that what I choose to do for fun is dangerous and the stakes are as high as they get :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Russian Bear posted:

Something like a quarter of people who crash their bike in the US don’t have a motorcycle license.

If you just dont drink and ride you cut your chance of being in a accident by like 60% or something crazy. Also slow down for intersections most accidents happen in a intersection

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

i thought it was the law that you had to listen to AC/DC or Steppenwolf on one of those

don't forget the Gap Band

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just saw a guy the other day as I was stopped at a red light. He was on one of those electric bikes that look kind of like this.

The street I'm stopped at is a busy 2x2 with a center lane median. He was on the side street that crosses the busy street. It's on a hill so he was coming downhill through the light when a car he was following slowed to turn left onto the busy street. No idea if they used a signal or not. I don't know if he couldn't see, wasn't paying attention or what .. but he swerved quickly, guessing he was following too closely, locked up his front brake and went flying over the bars landing on his face/shoulder/hands into a scorpion. Thankfully nobody was behind him and he missed the car in front of him. It was an ugly fall though. He skid a few feet when he hit the ground. He popped up and grabbed his bike but had a noticable limp and his helmet was scratched to poo poo on the visor.

Thankfully he was wearing a real helmet (and it must have fit properly!) or that would've been really messy, moreso than it already was. I asked if he was okay and gave me a thumbs up. He had to have broken a collarbone with how hard he slammed.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Verman posted:

I just saw a guy the other day as I was stopped at a red light. He was on one of those electric bikes that look kind of like this.

The street I'm stopped at is a busy 2x2 with a center lane median. He was on the side street that crosses the busy street. It's on a hill so he was coming downhill through the light when a car he was following slowed to turn left onto the busy street. No idea if they used a signal or not. I don't know if he couldn't see, wasn't paying attention or what .. but he swerved quickly, guessing he was following too closely, locked up his front brake and went flying over the bars landing on his face/shoulder/hands into a scorpion. Thankfully nobody was behind him and he missed the car in front of him. It was an ugly fall though. He skid a few feet when he hit the ground. He popped up and grabbed his bike but had a noticable limp and his helmet was scratched to poo poo on the visor.

Thankfully he was wearing a real helmet (and it must have fit properly!) or that would've been really messy, moreso than it already was. I asked if he was okay and gave me a thumbs up. He had to have broken a collarbone with how hard he slammed.

As cool as a lot of those e-bikes are to me, I've definitely seen enough riders in the PNW doing wild rear end stuff on them with a tank top and a bike helmet. Plenty of those bikes seem to have no issues with performing like you're in a motoX race. I'm sure it's probably a lost cause, but it feels like they could use some safety regulation and enforcement, at least for gear like a helmet designed for 45mph+ crashes minimum and some sort of super intro course to riding two wheeled machines with an engine. Sounds like this dude had at least that though thankfully.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I think that electric motorcycles are cool but they should require registration and insurance. Gear, whatever, yeah it's of course a good idea but even here in CO the only mandated motorcycle gear is eye pro

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think they have more gray area than the 50cc laws and live in the weirdest bicycle, toy, scooter, motorcycle crossover existence. They're light as a bicycle but speeds greater than most mopeds or 50cc scooters. Helmet and registration laws are murky and it doesn't seem like most places really enforce them.

I'm sure over years they'll determine some more regulation around e bikes. Government does not keep up with technology very well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
you know I totally forgot that with how light they are and how small the contact patch is they must brake like poo poo, even if they can do 40mph

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The brakes are probably adequate, but the tires are terrible, the suspension is crude, and the technique for most of their riders is non existent. Stopping a bike quickly and under control is a genuine skill that needs practice/development.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'd considered making my own thread about this like Shelvocke, but I have no idea how long this is going to take or whether I'll run out of money and wind up living in a hollowed out log in the woods behind the middle school.

My house has an attached garage, but it's not big enough. So I tried to figure out what would be big enough, and then set about building my dream garage (or at least as close as I could get without dwarfing my house).

24x40 with two stories should be good, right?

I'd have made it larger, or taller, but there's only so much land in Massachusetts.

After spending almost two years trying to get this going, we've finally broken ground and.. yeah I think it'll be big enough.

Beyond reinforcing the slab in the area where I'm going to put a lift (mostly for my cars, but bikes also), and running plumbing and electrical, I don't really have a ton of ideas. I'm hoping to have a lit shell of a building by fall, and then I can finish out the inside over time.

Mostly I'm excited to have all of my vehicles protected from the elements, and my wife is excited to actually get to park inside without having to deal with three motorcycles in her way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Strife posted:

Mostly I'm excited to have all of my vehicles protected from the elements, and my wife is excited to actually get to park inside without having to deal with three motorcycles in her way.

Thats awesome. I'm insanely jealous as I don't really have any more space on my property for an extra garage. I did just go buy a traeger from someone and when I picked it up, his garage blew me away. It was a beautiful 2.5 stall plus added depth with full custom cabinetry and countertops, clean stations for his woodworking stuff, outdoor gear etc. He also had a small bar and stools with a fridge and sink. It looked brand new and meticulously kept. I bet his garage buildout cost well over 100k.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Verman posted:

I bet his garage buildout cost well over 100k.

Definitely. In full transparency, the unfinished building itself is going to cost me $160k, before I even get to insulation and drywall and counters, etc. Granted, this is the northeast where construction prices are all madeup nonsense, but labor and materials are very expensive.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Definitely make a thread, they're easier to follow. Also on the spirit of full transparency, I put the final roof ridge tile on today a full 2 years after starting the project which makes it finally done.

Thanks ADHD

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Strife posted:

Definitely. In full transparency, the unfinished building itself is going to cost me $160k, before I even get to insulation and drywall and counters, etc. Granted, this is the northeast where construction prices are all madeup nonsense, but labor and materials are very expensive.

Yeah, I'm in seattle so I completely understand wild costs for materials and labor. My good friend wanted to rebuild his 2 car garage to make it more usable to his needs. He wanted to put in a new, level slab, add a lift, build a loft/living space above the garage, add accordian windows to the sides of the garage so they open into his backyard.

I don't recall where he is in the project but I think he decided against going through with it at least for now. It was going to cost a small fortune and I think he was struggling getting permits from the city.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002

Sorry going back quite a few pages here, but it's worth a bump as it's quite a good video and worth watching if only for the incredible ending where he's gently faded out as he walks off into the distance still banging on about how many points of grip he's got lol

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The local HD dealership's service dept is not busy enough, looks like they want to work on some expensive wrecks.

I might go :3:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the coolant/water requirement about?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Spilled coolant makes a slippery mess.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
What’s the % of high definition riders(yes, it fits) who own a full leather suit and a full face helmet? 1%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah it's probably just a requirement of the track they're at. When I changed my coolant, I replaced it with distilled water + water wetter. Besides the aforementioned slippery factor, glycol is also toxic, and if you dump your coolant on the track, you may get hit with the clean up/disposal bill.