Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
not complicated like you need to be a genius to figure out but complicated as in it's easier to just hire a lawyer who knows who to call to move things along because otherwise you start the buying process in march and finish in October lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

congrats on the move to beautiful Cranberry, Pennsylvania PFC!

It's Crafton

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if you want to be paranoid and not sleep look into what happens with incidents of wire fraud occurring related to the sale and purchase home.

Buying a $3 pack of zip ties on amazon:
- end to end encryption
- certification authority identifies both ends of the transaction
- payment processor can stop fraudulent transactions
- pre and post payment authorization and clearance

Sending a cool hundred g to own a home:
- yeet

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Sending a cool hundred g to own a home:
- yeet

the best part is they’ll send you the video of how to do it safely and correctly…

then get so pissed at you for doing those things.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Y'all don't have a cashiers check cut and walk it into the title company and get a receipt of delivery from the title company?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Bar Ran Dun posted:

if you want to be paranoid and not sleep look into what happens with incidents of wire fraud occurring related to the sale and purchase home.

spill the beans

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NYC people hire attorneys for everything, it’s attorneys all the way down

Apr 7, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

Y'all don't have a cashiers check cut and walk it into the title company and get a receipt of delivery from the title company?

i thought that's the way everyone did it tbh

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i thought that's the way everyone did it tbh

Same, that's what we did. I think there was an option for wire transfer but I'd rather hand deliver it for my own peace of mind.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

people lose their down payments to scammers doing wire fraud without recourse.

Woodsy Owl posted:

it’s the size of the down payments now. the first two time I bought a house my bank was my originator so no biggie. this time they wouldn’t accept a check in any form, even a cashiers check. it had to be by wire transfer or it was a you don’t get the house and they keep earnest money ( which was a large amount of money) situation.

it was extremely unpleasant.

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it was extremely unpleasant.

C-SPAM > The housing market - it was extremely unpleasant

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Woodsy Owl posted:

I wanted to do this but they wouldn’t tell me how much to make the check for until like 1 day before I needed to pay so I had to wire it. I wasn’t happy.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
For real where do you guys live where having a lawyer to close on a house is a standard thing. Even BFC’s housing thread just mentions them as a maybe nice to have if you feel like it thing that no one does and mostly just warns you to make sure you get title insurance.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Thoguh posted:

For real where do you guys live where having a lawyer to close on a house is a standard thing. Even BFC’s housing thread just mentions them as a maybe nice to have if you feel like it thing that no one does and mostly just warns you to make sure you get title insurance.

BFC constantly tells people to hire a lawyer, they are one of two people in the process who is completely on your side during the transaction. The other being maybe the inspector you hire.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

in nyc there's a contract with almost every real estate transaction. hence the attorney.

and similar to above, in all your interactions with a seller, the seller's agent, your bank, even your own agent, etc., there is no one with your interests explicitly in mind. hence, the attorney. a real estate attorney has done this a million times, there's no "oh, well, forgot about that thing"

practically, i can see why not everyone would need an attorney in a relatively "vanilla" closing elsewhere in the country. However, at the moment something isn't vanilla... i'd rather have an attorney. beyond that, buying a home is the largest transaction most people will ever make. and you're the one with the money. don't you want to do everything you can to make sure everything is kosher, given that everyone wants that money??

e: the lien check mentioned earlier is part of it too. your bank will check. probably. But your attorney WILL check.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 22:42 on May 18, 2023

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

tbh, surprised there are places where hiring a lawyer for a home sale is not the norm.

I’m from massachusetts.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the REALTOR form contract of sale for a house is sufficiently straight forward you should not normally need a lawyer on a typical slaw

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Realtors are hosed up evil creatures I wouldn't trust them to open a door for me without loving me up.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I got a lawyer to deal with buying a condo and it was nice, he was super old school and had personally written a bunch of the standard contract language that is used in every home purchase around here (Chicago). a representative was at the closing too to go through the paperwork with us. and I joined my companies group legal plan so outside of that $160/year cost it was completely free. would recommend it to everyone buying property

Apr 7, 2003

Celexi posted:

Realtors are hosed up evil creatures I wouldn't trust them to open a door for me without loving me up.

The realtor I used when I bought this place went to jail a week after the closing for embezzling millions from her day job

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

one of the people in the townhomes here writes the worst blog ever

quote:

ON MY TOES – The Unexpected Soundtrack of a Pedicure

I always try to appreciate life’s experiences with all my senses, not just the obvious ones. You know, feeling music, seeing flavors, hearing color. So when I went to this typically touch-oriented spa session, I was primed to take it in with all my faculties.

For the past couple of years xxx has been inviting me to join her for her occasional pedicure.

At first, I was reluctant. You know, the whole macho thing; guys don’t get pedicures. But once I tried it—and survived the good-natured ribbing I got for giggling as they used their small version of a power sander on my callouses—I’ve come to love the experience.

A pedicure, I’ve discovered, is a trip for all one’s senses. And each time I go it seems I come away having especially appreciated a different sensation. One time it might be the toes massage; the next, maybe the gritty exfoliant; or the immersion of my feet in bags of hot wax.

So many delights—not just of touch, but the fragrance of the various soaking solutions and lotions, watching the fish swimming around in the salon’s big aquarium, taking in the Asian-kitsch art on the walls.

Among my favorites every time is the cushy, full-featured massaging chair. Like some hefty Nordic masseuse, the chair’s four rolling, kneading, pummeling fists work tirelessly up and down my back. And I can set it to any combination of massage styles and intensities. (I’d gladly pay the $55 for just an hour’s worth of that.)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

CongoJack posted:

BFC constantly tells people to hire a lawyer, they are one of two people in the process who is completely on your side during the transaction. The other being maybe the inspector you hire.

it does seem nice to have someone who is actually on your side (lawyer), as compared to everyone else in the process who is tryna rip you off!!!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
It's not like the lawyer gets paid on close like your realtor and seller do. If they have their retainer fee why shouldn't they be unbiased?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

house sales are pretty routine

if the contract is not form or they put wacky poo poo in the form contract then hiring an attorney makes a lot of sense

there is no downside in general other than paying 200$ or whatever

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

$55 for a pedicure? FOH

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

if the contract is not form or they put wacky poo poo in the form contract then hiring an attorney makes a lot of sense

seller’s have been doing wacky poo poo in this market.Also most real estate agents are sloppy and lazy liars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

$55 for a pedicure? FOH

he also has a miniature schnauzer that he refuses to train to stop barking

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

6.57% baby

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MORTGAGE30US/

can't believe i don't want to move within walking distance of work

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1216-California-Ave-Palo-Alto-CA-94306/19504865_zpid/

$2126/SF

that's some hong kong level poo poo

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 03:49 on May 26, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my entire brain is melting

i gotta assume the previous owner was under prop 13 or whatever it's called

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apr 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

6.57% baby

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1216-California-Ave-Palo-Alto-CA-94306/19504865_zpid/

$2126/SF

You're singling out the worst real estate market in America. chill

Apr 7, 2003

also, I'm the +2412% tax assessment, for this night only. Remember to tip your waitress

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
this one is nearly $2,300/square foot lol

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1032-Maddux-Dr-Palo-Alto-CA-94303/19498471_zpid/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i bring it up mainly because i work remotely for stanford and uh... lol

lol at the tax assessment being 1/3 of the price

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

:eyepop:

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Bay Area had bugfuck insane real estate prices before it was cool. My dad was already totally locked out as a teacher in Palo Alto making top pay by 2005.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also, I'm the +2412% tax assessment, for this night only. Remember to tip your waitress

And now it's portable, but only if you're 55 or older :allears:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

actionjackson posted:

6.57% baby

$2126/SF

The good news is they have lower pay scales for people working remote, so you can continue to marvel at the price of housing from Minnesota. If you are a professor, Stanford will kick in a bunch of money and/or sell you one of their properties.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

6.57% baby

$2126/SF

Apparently it sold for $1.6M last year and now it is supposedly worth $1.9M, without any changes?

Apr 7, 2003

Boot and Rally posted:

Apparently it sold for $1.6M last year and now it is supposedly worth $1.9M, without any changes?

number go up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

MickeyFinn posted:

The good news is they have lower pay scales for people working remote, so you can continue to marvel at the price of housing from Minnesota. If you are a professor, Stanford will kick in a bunch of money and/or sell you one of their properties.

You can live on The Farm, but you never really own what they 'sell' you either.

Palo Alto was out of control by the 1980s. But the last 20 years have been insanely brutal. Tract housing that sold to vets for ~ 100k in real 2023 USD terms is now north of $2M.