Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Drunkboxer posted:

Thanks for the encouragement! I can’t wait to get a few little squadrons done so I can play the actual game.

I was going to try Vallejo Buff with a dark wash but maybe that’s too light.

I was actually about to do that last night but I was holding the little cardboard sails up to it and got worried that a grey wash might make the plastic folded sails look darker than the unfurled ones. Maybe if I just go with a really light grey.
Yeah I'd go with the lightest grey you can manage and then mix some more white in to be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah I'd go with the lightest grey you can manage and then mix some more white in to be safe.

Yeah, adding a quick wash like this actually improves the final product massively, despite taking very little time. Either way, it looks good to me, Drunkboxer!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cessna posted:

Will do.

Have you seen/bought/painted anything from Bloody Miniatures?

I own both but haven't played either. I'm moving away from big games and more into smaller skirmishes these days.

I haven't, no - I just went with plain Warlord 28mm plastics and then got rid of the entire army without so much as a by-your-leave. I've gotten rid of more finished armies than I can count, so I'm making a point now of ensuring that I don't do that in future because I always end up coming round to wanting them again at some point! For example, right now I don't really care about my 3mm Austrians or 20mm Germans, but I just know that if I put them on eBay I'm going to want them again.

With regard to game scale, I'm definitely past the point where I want (or care enough) to glue together and paint hundreds of 28mm figures per side: I have quite a few hobbies of which this is only one, and the ROI on figures which spend 95% of their time in display case is pretty low. I really enjoyed the Pike and Shot games recently but have got no particular urge to get them out again!

For what its worth though, I found the Pikeman's Lament rules to be absolutely capital and work with single figures or large multi-bases - the only thing which got a bit dry was when the first activation for a player would fail, then the other player would fail their first activation, and so on - it happened two or three times towards the end as the armies started becoming increasingly bedraggled.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Bloody Miniatures are gorgeous. They're probably my favorite line of Historicals. They're intended to be "characters" to mix in with big ECW armies from Bicorne or Redoubt, but they fit in with Warlord well enough. By now there are enough out that you could probably put together a Pikeman's Lament army using them.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

painted up a sample of these henry turner pike and shot guys. printed at 15 mm, did a flat white prime and used speed paints with some minor touch up using conventional paint (mostly on the white). supposed to be ecw. not sure i super love the colour scheme but the technique worked well for 15s. will paint a 36 man battalia in this scheme i think

e: also going to use more browns to change up the look of the hats/gloves/boots and such

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 17, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Did you notice on that on my ECW guys some of them had randomised hats/trousers and some of them were all the same colour? Me neither lol.

I have ot ask - why isn't 20mm or 1/72 more popular these days? Is it the bad taste of rubbery-plastic dudes? Seems like it would be a perfect size for historical skirmish and it appears there are no shortage of boxes...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's because they're primarily sold in model shops and not in wargaming shops I think. Plastic Soldier Company made a valliant effort to revive the scale for wargamers but seem to have abandoned it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

I have ot ask - why isn't 20mm or 1/72 more popular these days? Is it the bad taste of rubbery-plastic dudes? Seems like it would be a perfect size for historical skirmish and it appears there are no shortage of boxes...

I think that's a big part of it. It's also a sort of in-between scale. If I want beautifully detailed character models in skirmishes I go with 28mm, and if I want a big battle I go with 15mm or smaller.

As an aside, if you're into ECW, have you ever watched By The Sword Divided? It's all on Youtube.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fair enough- with only 3' depth >28mm is almost mandatory unless I'm going REALLY small.

I finished editing my Pikeman's Lament battle report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_SJP0hYBlI

Hi-Res is still processing if that matters to you - I filmed in 1080p 60FPS

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
1/72 or 20mm is somewhat popular for WW2 afaik. You’ll also see more of it if you go to places like TMP.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Why would I want to do that?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cessna posted:

Why would I want to do that?

glad you like it my friend :)

amicalement

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

TMP is the mind killer

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

1/72 or 20mm is somewhat popular for WW2 afaik. You’ll also see more of it if you go to places like TMP.

I really love the AB Models 20mm (i.e. 1/72) Germans that I bought for stillborn Chain of Command effort so that makes sense.

If I can have a little moan: I know Historicals isn't really a genre where you can expect people to do exactly what you do, but it's very frustrating because my only flesh and blood opponent is enthusiastic about everything equally when in discussion, but then when it actually comes to buying/painting/playing he just doesn't do it. If I ask him he says he has no time, and then proceeds to paint other models, and if I ask him if he'd prefer to play something else then he protests wildly that he really does want to play <game>.

I am taking as wrote that the solution to this is solo campaigning and I feel like I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place for that: my 2mm Napoleonics are the only forces where I have two armies large enough for varied rosters, asymmetric battles, etc. but I've just not found a ruleset that gels with me. I really enjoyed Pikeman's Lament but I've only JUST got enough forces to put out a normal sized battle. I guess that's the disadvantage of skipping between scales and eras!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I am taking as wrote that the solution to this is solo campaigning and I feel like I'm a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place for that: my 2mm Napoleonics are the only forces where I have two armies large enough for varied rosters, asymmetric battles, etc. but I've just not found a ruleset that gels with me. I really enjoyed Pikeman's Lament but I've only JUST got enough forces to put out a normal sized battle. I guess that's the disadvantage of skipping between scales and eras!

Yeah one alternative is the "paint both sides". But that takes a lot more time and effort (and money) than painting up one side. The other alternative I've found is getting a group of people together and paint up forces together. That's pretty much how we've done WW2 for CoC. If one or two players don't paint anything, that's less of an issue if some of the other guys paint something, and there'll usually be one or two guys who paint more than the average. That's how I ended up painting seven? Eight? platoons for CoC.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Are you going to add the sails and rigging too? It's a huge pain in the rear end, but looks great once you're done.

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah for sure, the fact that they have the rigging is one of the coolest aspects imo. I just need to varnish it first because I don’t think I want to do that with the thread and paper sails on there.

Actually I have a newbie question here, is it safe to spray varnish over thread and paper? Is it actually preferable because they’ll hold their shape better?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

glad you like it my friend :)

amicalement

I remember that guy, geez - was he just on there 24/7?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any advice for building Battlefronts Mi-24 kit? The hulls need a bit of sanding to align so far but nothing major, just time consuming

I'm following the instructions but their example figure is pretty poorly built.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The rotors assemblies are made out of delicate strands of cotton candy held together with hopes and wishes. I strongly recommend reenforcing them with something, like a small strip of metal or plastic on the underside of the part that holds the rotor to the hub.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh thanks! I'll use a small brass rod and file the edges so it tapers up out of sight. Thanks!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Drunkboxer posted:

Actually I have a newbie question here, is it safe to spray varnish over thread and paper? Is it actually preferable because they’ll hold their shape better?

I didn't do the rigging, but I varnished my ships with the paper sails and had no problems.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cessna posted:

I remember that guy, geez - was he just on there 24/7?

Yeah what was up with that weirdo? Any truth that he was just an admin alt to drum up activity on the forums?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I varnished before adding the sails and rigging. They seem to have held up ok. I think either way is fine.

---
As for historical gaming I've just found myself collecting dual armies and painting them up myself. My group is happy to play Random Era X so long as I supply the minis. I dont actually mind it because I like collecting and painting opposing forces, but it is a lot of work.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Midwinter Miniatures, who usually does Warham stuff, made a video painting up some Bolt Action minis, and discusses who has to play the Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOe1XFzcRc

And some of his questions are common but also good, I think he probably could've, like, asked someone who actually plays historicals for info.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah what was up with that weirdo? Any truth that he was just an admin alt to drum up activity on the forums?

lol i was gonna say i read a conspiracy once that he was an admin alt. weird rear end poo poo

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

3 Action Economist posted:

Midwinter Miniatures, who usually does Warham stuff, made a video painting up some Bolt Action minis, and discusses who has to play the Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apOe1XFzcRc

And some of his questions are common but also good, I think he probably could've, like, asked someone who actually plays historicals for info.

Yeah I saw that one. It’s obviously they’re not very versed in historicals and look through the topic with a very heavily 40K-tinted viewpoint. Like, I don’t need to LIKE nazis to paint a german WW2 army. It’s not like your average space marine fanboy who wants to collect a chapter that they write fan-fiction about at night.

I bet the idea of a player painting BOTH sides for a game to be mindblowing to them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Most YouTubers are just looking to drive up engagement, so braindead takes like that are actually good - from a purely fiscal perspective.

Same for the "woke gamers are destroying the hobby" editorial piece earlier.

The idea is that 1) idiots who agree with you will like, subscribe, and rate while 2) anyone else will argue with those idiots in the comments.

Both groups will share the video, either as "this guy gets it!" or "can you believe this poo poo?" and more views pushes them up the algorithm - which is the awful thing that's replaced quality.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I really love the AB Models 20mm (i.e. 1/72) Germans that I bought for stillborn Chain of Command effort so that makes sense.

If I can have a little moan: I know Historicals isn't really a genre where you can expect people to do exactly what you do, but it's very frustrating because my only flesh and blood opponent is enthusiastic about everything equally when in discussion, but then when it actually comes to buying/painting/playing he just doesn't do it. If I ask him he says he has no time, and then proceeds to paint other models, and if I ask him if he'd prefer to play something else then he protests wildly that he really does want to play <game>.

Paint both sides and show up somewhere convenient for me to play. I'm very lazy about painting but I'll play whatever you put in front of me.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

I didn't do the rigging, but I varnished my ships with the paper sails and had no problems.

Those look cool, where did you get those bases with the ship’s names on them? 3d printing?

Class Warcraft posted:

I varnished before adding the sails and rigging. They seem to have held up ok. I think either way is fine.

Yeah I’ll probably do that, if only to protect the paint while I futz around with the thread

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

The sails would be fine, but I probably would do the rigging afterwards. Thread (just like grass clumps and the like) has a tendency to collect varnish spray and bead up into little drops due to surface tension, in my experience.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

3 Action Economist posted:

I just want to state that I am not, in fact, a fan of Oliver Cromwell despite painting some New Model Army models.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am in fact a bonapartiste and also a huge fan of hungarian irredentism

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

moths posted:

Most YouTubers are just looking to drive up engagement, so braindead takes like that are actually good - from a purely fiscal perspective.

Same for the "woke gamers are destroying the hobby" editorial piece earlier.

The idea is that 1) idiots who agree with you will like, subscribe, and rate while 2) anyone else will argue with those idiots in the comments.

Both groups will share the video, either as "this guy gets it!" or "can you believe this poo poo?" and more views pushes them up the algorithm - which is the awful thing that's replaced quality.

It seems to be working since I've see it linked at least three times today in various places.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Nobody seems to have a massive problem modelling the Spartans, Romans, Normans, Parliamentarians, Native Americans, Napoleonic British, Communist or literally any other side espite being as legitimate as targets they're not as blatantly obvious to the smoothbrains. it's absolute nonsense and as above, is virtue- or rage-baiting depending on your perspective.

Arquinsel what's convenient for you, I'm on the Thameslink: Haywards Heath

liljonas I am painting both sides of every conflict apart from this 1:72/20mm WW2 thing so there's always stuff to play. I think at this stage I'm invested too much as a solo wargamer but I don't have the number of figures required in any of my scales to effectively support a campaign. To that end I have returned my unpainted 10mm HYW/Napoleonics to avoid further dilution of effort.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 19, 2023

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
If you are going to try a solo campaign I’d recommend covering up the non-active side forces on the map so you can get at least some minimal effort at fog of war. It makes a HUGE difference in campaigns

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

zokie posted:

If you are going to try a solo campaign I’d recommend covering up the non-active side forces on the map so you can get at least some minimal effort at fog of war. It makes a HUGE difference in campaigns
Donald Featherstone proposes a method for Fog of War during the deployment phase of a tactical battle: Rather than deploying units, you deploy one or both forces as markers face down. The reverse of those markers indicates what unit is positioned there, and it only gets flipped when it is in line of sight of an enemy unit. The degree of confidence each side have with regard to the composition of the enemy force can allow bluff tokens to be deployed, with no corresponding unit.

I’m not entirely sure that that works in a strategic map though. By necessity as part of a campaign you need to make decisions which are impacted by what troops you have available?

In order to see if I can make the campaign work with the figures I've got I'm going to give Absolute Emperor another bash, for want of a better Napoleonic ruleset: if anyone has recommendations for campaign-compatible massed battle rules which don't have any paperwork and a reliable alternating or IGOUGO please do let me know.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 19, 2023

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Blucher is pretty much the gold standard for what you're talking about. The only record keeping you need is the elan of units, you can just use d6s next to them to track it. There's a full campaign system baked into the book, if you wanted to do an element of fog of war without going full blinds just do random composition. Say 'ok, enemy 3 Corps consists mostly of untrained infantry with a large cadre of horse and little artillery support.' So on the table if you fight 3 Corps represent this as rolling amounts for 3d6 Conscript Infantry, 2d6 Cavalry, 1d3 Artillery. That way you can represent your scouts / spies knowing the general force composition but not knowing how much of it you've engaged until tabletop time.

Drunkboxer posted:

Those look cool, where did you get those bases with the ship’s names on them? 3d printing?
Nothing so involved, just 2mm plasticard with toilet paper + pva formed and painted to look like waves. The nameplates are just printer paper glued on, for reference I use 30mm wide bases for my ships.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I had pretty much written off Blucher because of those funky bases, but I will give it another view - thank you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

Arquinsel what's convenient for you, I'm on the Thameslink: Haywards Heath
I'm right in the middle of London so whatever's convenient for me is probably not super convenient for you sadly. Dark Sphere used to have a store by Waterloo that might have been reasonable-ish but that seems to have been shuttered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Southern Heel posted:

Nobody seems to have a massive problem modelling the Spartans, Romans, Normans, Parliamentarians, Native Americans, Napoleonic British, Communist or literally any other side espite being as legitimate as targets they're not as blatantly obvious to the smoothbrains. it's absolute nonsense and as above, is virtue- or rage-baiting depending on your perspective.

There's no army represented in a wargame that is completely good.

Look at the enemies of the Nazis - you've got the British Empire with all of it's cruel colonialism, the USA of the pre-Civil Rights era with the awful Jim Crow laws, and Joe Stalin. Somehow the Nazis managed to be so insanely evil that they looked pretty good by comparison, but they weren't exactly good by today's standards. This goes for any war in history; if you want to play a historical wargame you're going to have to spend time building and painting a bunch of little models of people who aren't doing good - at a bare minimum, they're doing the job of killing other people.

Personally I'm okay with this. I recognize that they're just toys or game pieces. I'll build and paint them so that they look nice - I happen to like building and painting toy soldiers. When I put little toy pikemen and musketeers on the table I'm doing it because I want to play a game with friends. It's an excuse to get together with a shared opportunity to drink beer and show off painted toys, then play a game we can laugh about later. I'm not out to recreate something like the murder and mutilation of the civilians in the baggage train after Naseby; I deliberately avoid those parts of the reality.

But there's no doubt that some people DO find a purient interest in the awful parts of history. Maybe they are, in fact, real-world fascist assholes who think that Hitler guy had some intriguing ideas and empathize with the SS trooper their toys represents. Unfortunately there's no way to excise them from the hobby. We can't somehow prevent them from buying little toy soldiers. I can certainly refuse to play a game with them - I play games with friends, not fascist pricks - and I'll call them out as unwelcome when I get the opportunity to do so.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 9, 2023