Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Three pigs in a trench coat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rageaholic posted:

Doing the memories quest and did Zelda really become a loving dragon :stare:

This is just related speculation, and I'm not looking for confirmation if the game gives it, but do we ever get the ancient Sage's names? The cutscene lingering on them after Zelda changed leads me to wonder if the Fire and Lightning Sages followed her example afterwards.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just want to know how they even went about dismantling any of the divine beast, the Rito one especially.

In the ending cutscene of BOTW Zelda mentions Vah Ruta stopped responding and they should go check it out, so I assume all the Divine Beasts stopped functioning and they were scrapped for parts just in case they go rampaging again.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Rageaholic posted:

Doing the memories quest and did Zelda really become a loving dragon :stare:

Gotta admit when I finally realized why they're called Dragon Tears was a great moment.

Or why The game is called Tears of the Kingdom

Interestingly I remember some speculating that's what happened based off the trailer

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 18, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cumpantry posted:

whats the big deal lol. arrow to the eye. swing, kill. hell with the big ones you could just use that one power to shoot yourself in the air for free slow-mo

The big deal was they weren't fun to fight, not that they were difficult. I'm mostly talking about the large ones, but the smaller ones and flying ones were also bad. They feel like a mid-dungeon boss aimed to teach the player to parry but you see them everywhere so it just became tedium when they were around and I heard them targeting. Engaging them was absolutely pointless unless you really wanted to max that Ancient Armor. Other enemies have different attacks, animations, palette swaps, weapons: they have some actual character. They're just boring enemies.

They look neat at least.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sigher posted:

The big deal was they weren't fun to fight, not that they were difficult. I'm mostly talking about the large ones, but the smaller ones and flying ones were also bad. They feel like a mid-dungeon boss aimed to teach the player to parry but you see them everywhere so it just became tedium when they were around and I heard them targeting. Engaging them was absolutely pointless unless you really wanted to max that Ancient Armor. Other enemies have different attacks, animations, palette swaps, weapons: they have some actual character. They're just boring enemies.

They look neat at least.

It would've been a lot better if more of those shrine guardians, the ones for the proving grounds, were active and roaming.

The biggest thing for me so far is the sheer enemy variety in Tears. It just blows the previous game completely out of the water even with the color code upgrades.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

RatHat posted:

For those who’ve finished the story, do you ever get an explanation of what exactly Calamity Ganon was? Or is it left up to fan theory?

After doing Impa's questline when she finally goes back to her house there's some dialog where she talks about it but I can't remember exactly what she said. There's also a quest involving the school where they talk about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Electric Phantasm posted:

Doing this stable quest to find these chefs and it's real dumb the quest won't accept anything but a regular meat and rice bowl. I know it says follow the recipe completely but all I'm doing is substituting the meat with higher quality meat it should count drat it! :argh:

I just can’t find rice anywhere!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Starting to think there is no flying horse in this game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CuddleCryptid posted:

I will say Re: Purah aging, I'm glad that Nintendo had the restraint (or market research) to put her "desired perfect age" at something other than 18. Not sure if it's her expression or what but I'd put her at late 20s, early 30s? Which is remarkable restraint for a female character in a video game.

Her journal says she aged herself back to 20.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I will say Re: Purah aging, I'm glad that Nintendo had the restraint (or market research) to put her "desired perfect age" at something other than 18. Not sure if it's her expression or what but I'd put her at late 20s, early 30s? Which is remarkable restraint for a female character in a video game.

I’m more interested in the implications of Purah now having a working immortality machine

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Who sells milk? This quest wants milk.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sydin posted:

So I've only done the wind and fire temples but both of them effectively being timers because of their environmental effects sucks. Oh you only brought four resist potions and couldn't solve the dungeon in 30 minutes? Eat poo poo and die I guess.

Both towns sold the resistant armor but the prices are insane, it's like 3000 rupees for a full set of each.

Having a lot of fun with the game but this particular aspect sucks poo poo.

If you've got the ingredients but don't have the meal, use one of the one use zonai cooking pots. I always have a full inventory of meals specifically because it's still funny to me how much of a cheat code tier 3 defense and good armor is, but I ran out too where you did and just ducked into a covered room to cook up another 12 minutes worth

edit - it helped in that case that there's a spicy pepper bush every 5 feet for the first 10 hours of the game

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bruceski posted:

the shop in Hateno

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Three of acorn equals one of milk

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyone know how to locate the Light Dragon easily. I need parts from it to upgrade my Champion’s leathers.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just discovered a temple on accident lol

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Lube Enthusiast posted:

For the goon a few pages back asking if there’s somewhere to store weapons. there is in Tarrey Town more specifically the purchasable ‘dream home’

Thanks, I did stumble across that. More importantly found out through playing the weapons I had aren't quite as optimal as I had originally thought, just much better than the starting area stuff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Popped into a cave that ended up being enormous, and ended with a pillar suspicious enough I ascended through it, ended up in a nightmare PTSD room from the first game, barely made it out alive ascending again through a pillar with 1 heart left, and into the middle of a labyrinth. 1 rocket jump and a bit of walking and looking down later it's solved, and my reward is - in part - an easier way to access the nightmare hell room. What a game this is, holy poo poo. BotW's combat and weapons systems were very clearly rough drafts for a masterpiece of a final product now. Still finding fun new combinations, like how boomerangs are great now and no amount of rupees is worth more than what a topaz can do offensively.

Thanks to like 500 hours in Elden Ring I'm also a lot better with two-handed weapons and just better in general since BotW/TotK combat is essentially carefully fishing for a stagger and then going apeshit

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I just can’t find rice anywhere!

Cut grass, it shows up at a decent rate.
I think lookout's shop has rice as well, might need to expand first, I don't recall.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think I bought some rice from Beedle, so that narrows it down to one of the stables.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Kakariko and Hateno have rice as well in their general stores iirc.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Wish I could just use recall to help Addison

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The thing I haven't found related to a kakariko quest is Wild Greens or whatever they're called. No idea what those are. Hopefully collared greens and I can make link a proper soul food meal.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MokBa posted:

The thing I haven't found related to a kakariko quest is Wild Greens or whatever they're called. No idea what those are. Hopefully collared greens and I can make link a proper soul food meal.

Hyrule herb worked for me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

Hyrule herb worked for me.

I wondered if that was the case but I was too distracted by everything in this game to try.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Onean posted:

This is just related speculation, and I'm not looking for confirmation if the game gives it, but do we ever get the ancient Sage's names? The cutscene lingering on them after Zelda changed leads me to wonder if the Fire and Lightning Sages followed her example afterwards.

Nah. They don't have any characterization, they just exist to give exposition and their stone to the new sages when you beat their respective dungeons.

MokBa posted:

"Wild Greens" just refers to any kind of grass/flower you can cook with. So if you combined milk, rice and armoranth, for example, you would get porridge that boosts armor.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 19, 2023

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

MokBa posted:

I wondered if that was the case but I was too distracted by everything in this game to try.

Well I successfully made it but she won't take it! Confusing quest.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Popped into a cave that ended up being enormous, and ended with a pillar suspicious enough I ascended through it, ended up in a nightmare PTSD room from the first game, barely made it out alive ascending again through a pillar with 1 heart left, and into the middle of a labyrinth. 1 rocket jump and a bit of walking and looking down later it's solved, and my reward is - in part - an easier way to access the nightmare hell room. What a game this is, holy poo poo. BotW's combat and weapons systems were very clearly rough drafts for a masterpiece of a final product now. Still finding fun new combinations, like how boomerangs are great now and no amount of rupees is worth more than what a topaz can do offensively.

Thanks to like 500 hours in Elden Ring I'm also a lot better with two-handed weapons and just better in general since BotW/TotK combat is essentially carefully fishing for a stagger and then going apeshit

It's such a great game. I love Elden Ring just as much. :cheers:

kinda spoilers, but barely.. mostly regarding ER playThere's harder version of all mobs in the Depths, even the bosses

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 19, 2023

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MokBa posted:

You give it to her granddaughter outside sitting by the fire. She's the one who gave you the quest

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RandolphCarter posted:

Wish I could just use recall to help Addison

Sadly no amount of recalling can make him a better carpenter, as he never learned you make the base of the sign first.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It occurs to me about 40 hours in that having passed in and out of Rito village and most of the kingdom, I haven't seen Kass loving anywhere. Where my boy at?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MokBa posted:

Did you remember to add sundelion?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Putting a bee hive on a stick and a springboard on a shield makes for some really great meme fighting.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 20, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

For those who’ve finished the story, do you ever get an explanation of what exactly Calamity Ganon was? Or is it left up to fan theory?

we get the explanation in the first game, though TOTK tries to ignore the first game as hard as possible so it doesn’t really scan. it was Ganon having revived so many times that he suffered identity death and had nothing left except his malice and his desire for conquest

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

we get the explanation in the first game, though TOTK tries to ignore the first game as hard as possible so it doesn’t really scan. it was Ganon having revived so many times that he suffered identity death and had nothing left except his malice and his desire for conquest

Giving Ganon the Gygas treatment was a pretty good move, in my opinion. Done the cycle so many times he's turned into a force of nature.

I've been getting completely sidetracked from doing the main plot in TotK so I have no idea what Ganondorf's deal is in regard to the whole thing yet but I'm interested to see how they reconcile all that.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah autobuild should have been included from the start rather than gated behind story progress.

The depths as euro truck simulator isn't the best game I've played but it's a drat sight better than it was before.

Ultimately I think it's the weakest area purely because of how identikit the environment is and how barren it is more generally (no I don't care about the fifty billionth moblin camp) but it's not hurting my eyes any more and i'm not having to stop all the time to throw bulbs.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The twofan + steering wheel copter is incredible for the depths. It only costs 9 ore and is faster and more agile than most fancier things I've made. I don't even bother backtracking to pick one up, just plop out a new one once I jump off. I've got like 800 drat ore at this point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Something I learned from a quest for those of you struggling with Hylian Rice: It can be randomly found by cutting down grass. Particularly around Hateno is where it has decent rates of being found. Otherwise various stores will also often stock it.