Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Amazon has a great deal on the fancy shmancy dewalt powerstak batteries: 1 for $65 and two for $120 which is almost 50% off. I can’t afford it at the moment but maybe someone else can benefit in my stead

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-POWER...09KKM663L&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-POWER...ef_=as_li_ss_tl

If anyone is in the Midwest Runnings has these even cheaper as well as a buy any tool get a free 5ah or 2ah battery deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
What's a drill bits worst enemy? Asking around so I can attempt to deter the people who drilled into my wife's car keyhole.

(Obviously a car thief will have multiple ways of getting into a car but I'd love to ruin one of their bits If they tried again)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What's a drill bits worst enemy? Asking around so I can attempt to deter the people who drilled into my wife's car keyhole.

9mm hollowpoints.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:hmmyes:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Facing towards or away from the drill

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

What's a drill bits worst enemy?

Depends on the bit. For everything except masonry bits, rocks.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was going to say heat but I honestly don't think there's a solution that doesn't make the lock worse for you guys.

Thieves just suck but there's not much you can do to prevent someone super determined to get in. Also drilling a vehicle lock? That seems way more difficult/loud/time consuming than using an airbag to open up the top of the door and a clothes hanger to unlock the door like most tow truck drivers will. Or you know, bust the window the old fashioned way.

Maybe consider an aftermarket alarm that goes off when someone touches the vehicle or some motion sensor flood lights where the car is parked.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Lot of Scrap Carbide Inserts

J-B Weld 8281 Professional Size Steel Reinforced Epoxy Twin Pack

Don't forget to post pics, OP.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

(Obviously a car thief will have multiple ways of getting into a car but I'd love to ruin one of their bits If they tried again)
Fill the car with concrete very high PSI concrete and laugh as their drill bits melt

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Fill the car with concrete very high PSI concrete and laugh as their drill bits melt

A car is not a motorcycle.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Deviant posted:

9mm hollowpoints.

Not funny, dude, even if we all share the sentiment. Too loving much of that already.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

A car is not a motorcycle.

So more than 400lbs?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Bondematt posted:

So more than 400lbs?

:hmmyes:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What do I need to crimp aluminium ferrules onto steel cable? I want to make something to lock motorcycle helmets to the bike so they can just be left.

It's a pretty low crime area so doesn't need to actually be very secure, just enough to stop someone casually walking away with them. Do I need a proper device or is it possible to squeeze with pliers or hit them with a hammer?

The stuff I have is 2mm steel cable that's PVC coated to 3mm dia. And some 3mm oval aluminium ferrules.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

knox_harrington posted:

What do I need to crimp aluminium ferrules onto steel cable? I want to make something to lock motorcycle helmets to the bike so they can just be left.

It's a pretty low crime area so doesn't need to actually be very secure, just enough to stop someone casually walking away with them. Do I need a proper device or is it possible to squeeze with pliers or hit them with a hammer?

The stuff I have is 2mm steel cable that's PVC coated to 3mm dia. And some 3mm oval aluminium ferrules.

I've used a punch for similar.

Just banging it with a hammer against a solid surface would work too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Not funny, dude

who was joking

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lol just saw a free radial arm saw on Facebook marketplace.

quote:

Free!!!

I honestly know nothing about this. I do not know if it works.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

Lol just saw a free radial arm saw on Facebook marketplace.

If it's not very far and the right model it's worth $50 for part of the recall.

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
This video has sorta changed my life. My garage has been a cluttered mess of random hand tools ever since I moved in. Can’t believe I never thought of doing this before… inexpensive, effective, and infinitely customizable. Off to get some 1/2 OSB and finally organize my garage workshop. Hope somebody else can benefit from this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-Jow0Azng

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

UKJeff posted:

This video has sorta changed my life. My garage has been a cluttered mess of random hand tools ever since I moved in. Can’t believe I never thought of doing this before… inexpensive, effective, and infinitely customizable. Off to get some 1/2 OSB and finally organize my garage workshop. Hope somebody else can benefit from this too

This is very clever

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It's all fun and games until your tool wall gets a short

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

knox_harrington posted:

I used big lineman's pliers, specifically the space just inside the hinge.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

UKJeff posted:

Very interesting. I use cleats, I make my own holders, I use purchased holders. I got every bloody thing, but not these. I don't know where to get single core wire of that thickness though. Maybe tig rod would work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Very interesting. I use cleats, I make my own holders, I use purchased holders. I got every bloody thing, but not these. I don't know where to get single core wire of that thickness though. Maybe tig rod would work.

You can buy it by the roll at most big box stores, electrical supply stores etc.. though it seems like it would be wasteful to buy a roll of it to just do that with it.

Maybe some electricians have a bunch of scraps they'd sell you for a few bucks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can find it tacked up inside the walls of unfinished houses.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Doing a quick search looks like Home Dept has 50ft spools for $25, so that wouldn't be terrible. Only single wire though, not the triple he used.

Also copy hobby wire appears to be a thing, $6 for 25ft but not seeing any larger than 18ga so might not hold as well.

In any case that's some nice out of the box thinking.

*Edit* oh hell they sell bare copper wire by the foot. $0.31 per here.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 21, 2023

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Can anybody recommend a DIY closed cell spray foam insulation kit? I want to spray the ceiling and walls of my metal shop.

Oops might not be the right thread

Rufio fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 21, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CommonShore posted:

I used big lineman's pliers, specifically the space just inside the hinge.

Pretty easy in the end. I leant on a pair of regular crimpers and they seem squashed enough. I read that you should remove the PVC before crimping/swaging, I'm sure that's best but didn't seem necessary for this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty easy in the end. I leant on a pair of regular crimpers and they seem squashed enough. I read that you should remove the PVC before crimping/swaging, I'm sure that's best but didn't seem necessary for this.

Looks fine. You mentioned that you just wanted to deter people from walking away with it, rather than try to make it in to a bank vault

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wesleywillis posted:

You can buy it by the roll at most big box stores, electrical supply stores etc.. though it seems like it would be wasteful to buy a roll of it to just do that with it.

Maybe some electricians have a bunch of scraps they'd sell you for a few bucks.

He lives in Finland (hope that's not insulting if you're actually Swedish) they probably have different gauge wire altogether. It's home wiring he's using. I think you can buy it by the foot in big box stores or rolls probably as short as 25ft (8m)...which that OCD having old fart probably used that much or more.

I've got those same strippers, but I ain't got that motivation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^
I'm a swedish speaking finn, it's a tricky one to keep straight.

withak posted:

You can find it tacked up inside the walls of unfinished houses.

We use higher voltage here and also divide the load over three phases, so most cabling in houses here is maybe half the size of 12 gage american based on what I found when looking around. So that kinda stuff is outside the big box stores and like, I'd have to look at more specialized places to find it.

I did make a few hangers from tig rod last night however. One from a steel 1.6mm tig rod and the rest from 2mm bronze brazing rod. No photos though, should take some.

I did find I can get a roll of what is almost equivalent 12 AWG wire in the form of coated winding cable, 8 meter roll for 30 euros. That would likely last me.

e: photos

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 22, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That pressure washer I've been resurrecting, it's doing something! Not quite perfect yet, check valves are worn out, tried to refurb them but not a complete success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia-YpOuZ6Ko

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

^^^
I'm a swedish speaking finn, it's a tricky one to keep straight.

We use higher voltage here and also divide the load over three phases, so most cabling in houses here is maybe half the size of 12 gage american based on what I found when looking around. So that kinda stuff is outside the big box stores and like, I'd have to look at more specialized places to find it.

I did make a few hangers from tig rod last night however. One from a steel 1.6mm tig rod and the rest from 2mm bronze brazing rod. No photos though, should take some.

I did find I can get a roll of what is almost equivalent 12 AWG wire in the form of coated winding cable, 8 meter roll for 30 euros. That would likely last me.

e: photos

So of course you'd use baltic birch as a backer instead of lovely old OSB. :golfclap:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well it's only 4mm thick stuff so it's the cheapest I got! For heavier things like the shelves I have to aim for the studs.

And I plan to cover the walls in my shed with OSB once I got it insulated and a slab cast. But I will paint it white.

I found you can get copper wire meant for the garden in the right size pretty cheaply too.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
For cheap nicely pliable wire at a decent gauge just get craft wire. It's super cheap since it's made out of tin instead of copper and the tin bends easily and keeps it's shape nicely.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I bought some brass wire for a project and for like $8 I got like hundreds of feet

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Literally A Person posted:

For cheap nicely pliable wire at a decent gauge just get craft wire. It's super cheap since it's made out of tin instead of copper and the tin bends easily and keeps it's shape nicely.

I can imagine tin breaking real easily

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Get 12 gauge steel wire you goons. It's dirt cheap at harbor freight or the big box store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hillman-100-ft-150-lb-12-Gauge-Galvanized-Wire-122339/203721762

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I can imagine tin breaking real easily

I would have thought the same thing but it's really actually robust. I was using it to assemble some structures in my garden and never once had a bit of it snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

DTO is having a big Memorial Day sale, 50% off recon tools plus 30% off almost everything else.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

HD is also running Ryobi days right now. They have the 99 dollar 2 battery deal with free tool, or a 199 3 battery deal with free tool.

The 199 deal is pretty interesting, it comes with 2, 4 and 6 amp hour HP batteries, plus you can select a "free" brushless tool. One of the options is the HP 18V Brushless Cordless Pet Stick Vacuum Cleaner. 199 for the pet stick and 3 batteries is a pretty good deal. The brushless tool selection is pretty decent.