Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
If you want to see an angry old Finnish gold miner absolutely wreck a company of Nazis in WW2, watch Sisu .

I didn't know anything about it and rented it on Prime, and it was the most fun I've had watching a movie in ages. It's in limited theaters too if that's your thing.

Turn brain off, see Nazis get exploded. It's a helluva good time. Avoid trailers if it sounds like something you'd like. I was surprised :stonk:

I was left thinking "John Wick who?"

It's a Finnish/English production but the sparse dialog is all English. The landscape is beautiful, when Nazi body parts aren't in the way.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m waiting for sisu to hit streaming

Started watching Class of 09, it’s kinda sweet so far

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

SISU was awesome lol. Laughed a lot at nazis being exploded. Very fun movie.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What the hell is PaulT Goldman and why can’t I turn it off

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pillowpants posted:

What the hell is PaulT Goldman and why can’t I turn it off

It only gets "better". Show off the year

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
https://youtu.be/0oPDBb-JER4

Teaser for Conan O'Brien's HBO show. I remember when the deal was announced he was vocal that it wouldn't be just a travelogue show but I wonder if the merger killed the scripted bits and they decided to just go with the Conan Goes Somewhere they had already filmed.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

https://youtu.be/0oPDBb-JER4

Teaser for Conan O'Brien's HBO show. I remember when the deal was announced he was vocal that it wouldn't be just a travelogue show but I wonder if the merger killed the scripted bits and they decided to just go with the Conan Goes Somewhere they had already filmed.

Love Conan, but I'm not sure any travel show will ever be as enjoyable as Parts Unknown. It seems like a lot of people, mostly chefs, have been trying to recapture that magic (David Chang, Gordon Ramsey), and none have succeeded.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the Hindu nationalism is blunted somewhat by the fact it’s aligned against the British Raj. hard to come out looking worse against that kind of opposition

I loving cheered at the black drummer obviously vibing with the main heroes taking down the colonialists. Solidarity haha

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nihonniboku posted:

Love Conan, but I'm not sure any travel show will ever be as enjoyable as Parts Unknown. It seems like a lot of people, mostly chefs, have been trying to recapture that magic (David Chang, Gordon Ramsey), and none have succeeded.

I like the one with Ainsley Harriot haha

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw1rAMzPf70

Always down for religious cult documentaries

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I always loved the location bits where Conan visited random places riffed the whole time and acted like a giant nerd they were probably the strongest parts of his show.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The conan across borders episodes are really solid, I'm always down for more.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought Sisu felt like some grindhouse reject tbh, just like terribly acted, written, etc (the corny Fury Road style walk the ladies have after being freed from the COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY loving rape wagon, after one of them is like WOW HEY NAZI I BET UR GAY. got him, girl boss!! It's the most reddit rear end movie) the action was directed in a very bland way and even all the nazis dying wasnt enough to carry it for me. It's going for purposefully camp but it's more 99% cringe, and let's not even get into the historical revisionism lmao. just straight gaaaarbage, total fugazi wannabe poo poo

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 18, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
on the other hand if the idea of like, Mad Heidi made you feel a little flutter in your heart, Sisu is probably the film for you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I thought Sisu felt like some grindhouse reject tbh, just like terribly acted, written, etc (the corny Fury Road style walk the ladies have after being freed from the COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY loving rape wagon, after one of them is like WOW HEY NAZI I BET UR GAY. got him, girl boss!! It's the most reddit rear end movie) the action was directed in a very bland way and even all the nazis dying wasnt enough to carry it for me. It's going for purposefully camp but it's more 99% cringe, and let's not even get into the historical revisionism lmao. just straight gaaaarbage, total fugazi wannabe poo poo

Are you really criticizing Sisu -- a 1 hour and 30min, basic af movie about exploding nazis -- for any attempt it makes at historical revisionism. Are you really. Lol. By all means, get into that poo poo, I'll read what you have to say. And what even is a "reddit rear end movie"? Lmao.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

teagone posted:

Lol. Lmao. Lol. Lmao. Lol. Lmao.
even for a turn your brain off movie, even for a "basic" movie, it's just incredibly cringey and lame. and it's a reddit rear end movie in the sense of the type of person who'd insult Donald Trump by being like "he's gay with putin". it's corny. wow great job making a gay joke about that nazi. if you're bothered by "Reddit rear end movie", "GBS rear end movie" also applies.

but really, more than anything, it's terribly directed. barely any of the action felt compelling. thats its greatest sin, past its utterly bullshit sensibility, past the Finnish revisionism, it just didn't look cool.

and personally, there's nothing I hate more than films trying to be grindhouse. it's some hobo with a shotgun style bullshit.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 18, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sorry if i find homophobia cringe and basic in 2023. so so so sorry.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hobo with a shotgun kicks rear end though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly yeah, if you liked Hobo with a Shotgun (not your distant memories of it, but like, having rewatched it in the last 3 years), I recommend Sisu in full. :shrug: I'm not saying it was terrible.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Punkin Spunkin posted:

eand personally, there's nothing I hate more than films trying to be grindhouse. it's some hobo with a shotgun style bullshit.

That's what I got from the trailer. It's done with a wink and a nod. It's really hard to make a grindhouse movie without doing that.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

teagone posted:

Are you really criticizing Sisu -- a 1 hour and 30min, basic af movie about exploding nazis -- for any attempt it makes at historical revisionism. Are you really. Lol. By all means, get into that poo poo, I'll read what you have to say. And what even is a "reddit rear end movie"? Lmao.

yeah, this. it's a fun move about nazis getting blowed the gently caress up. nothing more, nothing less. I have no complaints and no regerts. I knew nothing about it at all and watched while stoned and had a blast. if nazis are getting hosed up chances are I'm gonna like it, as suggested by my avatar.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yeah and it's really fun to call nazis gay. turn your brain off man!!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hell yeah

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Gonna watch seasons 3&4 of mrs maisel

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

even for a turn your brain off movie, even for a "basic" movie, it's just incredibly cringey and lame. and it's a reddit rear end movie in the sense of the type of person who'd insult Donald Trump by being like "he's gay with putin". it's corny. wow great job making a gay joke about that nazi. if you're bothered by "Reddit rear end movie", "GBS rear end movie" also applies.

but really, more than anything, it's terribly directed. barely any of the action felt compelling. thats its greatest sin, past its utterly bullshit sensibility, past the Finnish revisionism, it just didn't look cool.

and personally, there's nothing I hate more than films trying to be grindhouse. it's some hobo with a shotgun style bullshit.

I dunno, pretty much disagree with everything you have to say about it. Really felt Sisu was a quick, breezy romp that was well shot and carried by a lead who delivers some really great facial/physical acting. Didn't really find anything cringey or corny about it; felt like the film was very self-aware. Comes across as very earnest schlock lol. I guess if any person would go in expecting some kind genre actioner period piece a la "John Wick in WW2" or something, I can see how they would be disppointed though, but even then, I don't feel like the action design was ever meant to be the film's selling point. Also, I only remembered the gay joke after you mentioned it, but wouldn't that be historically accurate for a film set in 1944 :razz:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

teagone posted:

Also, I only remembered the gay joke after you mentioned it, but wouldn't that be historically accurate for a film set in 1944 :razz:
it's funny because you dont think this is a defense for it anyway, and of course you didnt remember it. what a surprise. it really stood out for me....
wait i thought this was a film where the historicity wasn't important
glad you're making a stand for the very brave tact of insulting nazis by implying their gay. awesome! le epic!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

teagone posted:

I don't feel like the action design was ever meant to be the film's selling point.
this also feels like a major problem for...an action movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey, if you're not bothered by homophobic jokes (it's historically accurate ;) this is a film that takes historical accuracy very seriously), and if you dont want good action design in your action film, i highly recommend sisu

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

You know what was a sick action movie that’s actually on streaming is Wrath of Man which is on prime right now. Statham basically channels Robert Patrick from terminator 2, it’s awesome

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Sisu isn't full-bore Machete-style grindhouse, I'd say, it's not realistic but it doesn't go quite as far. It does feel like it could have been a grindhouse action film in the late 60s or the 70s, it has a clear Spaghetti Western influence. It never really leans into meta or self-aware moments, it has a very dry tone. Lacks a certain intensity but overall quite good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was homophobic jokes in Hobo With A Shotgun?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, that matters a hell of a lot more about whether or not it's 'cringe'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not the action design per se, but the absurd violence was definitely a selling point. There's a difference imo.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's funny because you dont think this is a defense for it anyway, and of course you didnt remember it. what a surprise. it really stood out for me....
wait i thought this was a film where the historicity wasn't important
glad you're making a stand for the very brave tact of insulting nazis by implying their gay. awesome! le epic!

What are you trying to suggest with what I bolded? Did you not understand the :razz: I added; I'm ribbing. I get what you're saying, so there's no need to get indignant my goon.

[edit]

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sisu isn't full-bore Machete-style grindhouse, I'd say, it's not realistic but it doesn't go quite as far. It does feel like it could have been a grindhouse action film in the late 60s or the 70s, it has a clear Spaghetti Western influence. It never really leans into meta or self-aware moments, it has a very dry tone. Lacks a certain intensity but overall quite good.

The hyperviolent nazi deaths played over as deliberately silly/slapstick to me (in a good way), which made it entertaining. The movie definitely doesn't take itself too serious imo, especially with how it ends. Dude just wanted them bills.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 18, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to rewatch hobo with a shotgun but I didn’t like kids vs aliens very much

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pretty sure I watched Hobo with a Shotgun shortly after it came out and didn't really think too much of it. Haven't seen it since. I should probably revisit it now though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A MIRACLE posted:

Gonna watch seasons 3&4 of mrs maisel

you could also not and do anything else with your time.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Looks like the new Chris Pine DnD movie is on Paramount+ now, which I will watch once I figure out the right login to steal since I've only heard good things about it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Just finished s1 of The Leftovers, and yeah, you guys were right. What a fantastic show, if it keeps getting better I'm in for a treat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Glottis posted:

Looks like the new Chris Pine DnD movie is on Paramount+ now, which I will watch once I figure out the right login to steal since I've only heard good things about it

Yeah that was a $20 rental last week, things move fast now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah that was a $20 rental last week, things move fast now.

Remember how long it took for movies to get on VHS at Blockbuster. I remember waiting ages for Jurassic Park, and then getting to my local Blockbuster, and seeing all the copies already rented out. I was so upset lol.