Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Budget day everyone! :munch:

Isn't it just going to be Labour failing to deliver necessary funding, followed by National dishonestly criticising them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Flicking through a leaked copy of the budget right now... what the hell is a "Gamer Stipend"!?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that's where gambling companies get extra cash for pretending to build a conference centre.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Lost my (covid) virginity today.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Way less fun from what I understand.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Condolences, have given your an honorary piss name on discord

Sphyre posted:

Flicking through a leaked copy of the budget right now... what the hell is a "Gamer Stipend"!?

Is this the one hundred and sixty million dollars being thrown at the NZ video game industry?

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 18, 2023

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

We have a video game industry?

Or is this just whatever laundering is being done by whoever made Bloons

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
guys we did it, no longer will be paying $5bux for paracetamol

time for pharmacies to open up pie shops

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

The social re-engineering vision of the unemployment insurance scheme is functionally replaced with a far more pragmatic small change approach, highlighted by an extra year of subsidised childcare for two-year-olds, and an end to the $5 prescription payment

brother what the gently caress are you talking about

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/18-05-2023/a-budget-budget-from-homebrand-hipkins-with-a-few-treats-for-the-kids

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

We have a video game industry?

Or is this just whatever laundering is being done by whoever made Bloons

Yes, we have places like Cerebral fix who make shovelware under contract for studios like Disney to make the lovely movie tie in games for each animated movie they produce.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I kinda liked the Hercules tie-in Disney game, though. Solid platformer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i enjoyed 'before we leave' by balancing monkey games

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I kinda liked the Hercules tie-in Disney game, though. Solid platformer.

Had weird jumping but otherwise yeah

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

Budget 2023: National vows to bring back $5 prescription fees if elected

What a weird vow to make

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh yeah this is the slam dunk policy they've been looking for, it'll win them the election for sure.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Hipkins posted:

... it is no wonder his own colleagues have started to refer to him as Captain cliche.

Please let this stick, it could end Luxon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you want to see the end of Luxon? Last thing I want is a competent national party leader

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Why would you want to see the end of Luxon? Last thing I want is a competent national party leader

*squints at their lineup* not exactly a big worry.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I hope you're right

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they've brought back the ministry of works btw

https://www.raupaenga.co.nz/

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Absolutely incredible stuff that the second story on the NZHerald on budget day is this

Has to be the most unforced own goal of the year

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Lmao Nicola Willis

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

those numbers only matter if you give a poo poo about funding health services.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Also she tried to say people can just go to Chemist Warehouse for free, which surely has locations where people who are unable to pay $5 for a prescription are...wait no of course it does not. And shipping isn't free, their minimum is $5.99. gently caress National and their conehead-in-chief.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

those numbers only matter if you give a poo poo about funding health services.

given the savings you would think they're of interest to politicians who don't want to fund health services too

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
"Just go to this foreign for-profit company instead" is actually completely on brand for national though

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

given the savings you would think they're of interest to politicians who don't want to fund health services too

If reducing funding required was the actual goal you would be right. But what if they want to punish the poors and/or push consumers to a foreign owned for profit company?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Lmao Nicola Willis

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bike tory posted:

the government only saves money if it's paying for it in the first place, which sure, it is now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

I agree 100% with what it's implying, but spidey sense is tingling and I'm wondering about selection bias; are free prescriptions handed out more often for less severe maladies, etc?

Free prescriptions aren't dependant on your illness, the govt requires pharmacies collect $5 for each prescription and chemist warehouse started paying that themselves rather than charging customers as a way to draw people in. Other pharmacies have followed suit if they can, but lots can't afford to. The study looked specifically at a rural community that didn't have the option to go to a pharmacy that did free prescriptions, because they wanted to see whether the $5 itself was a barrier.

Might be some confounding factors for being a rural community (older, for example) but broadly or demonstrates that A) the $5 does have an impact on people access to medicine and B) this has a flow on effect of worse health outcomes, longer hospital stays etc.

https://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/article/news/otago-study-quantifies-harm-caused-5-prescription-fee

Ghostlight posted:

the government only saves money if it's paying for it in the first place, which sure, it is now.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 19, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Serephina posted:

That's not how it works.

The govt levies a $5 prescription charge. The pharmacist collects this. Some pharmacies, predominantly big foreign chains like Chemist Warehouse and Countdown, waive this charge and cover it themselves, as a loss leader. The problem is, not everyone has one of these outlets close to them, particularly in rural or provincial areas. Or maybe you're poor, or elderly or disabled and can't afford/can't physically shop around all over town.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why's every store gotta be a kind of warehouse anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

why's every store gotta be a kind of warehouse anyway

This weird tendency for the rate of profit to decrease

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
"So people who have access to multiple chemists, including ones giving discounts to get people in the door, have better health outcomes?" I'm not arguing that's what it is (cuz it isn't), and I strongly support the idea that even the most minor of barriers have dramatic effects on services and so public services should be as free and effortless as possible, but some nerdy part of me is yelling "don't trust news bites in a politics thread, even if they promote your views". But then that's addressed in the research itself so I'm worrying about nothing - thanks for the direct link.

Related, recently I returned a bunch of library books after finally getting off my rear end and getting back into the habit of hobby reading again. A few where late, and as I pulled out my wallet the librarian told me they don't charge late fees anymore, apparently those where scaring off people from using the service, which is amazing to me and I really love this country at times.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Serephina posted:

the way i think about it is that people will argue against good thing x using studies that are just as - if not more - flawed as the study you're using to support good thing x

so i no longer feel bad about picking one study that supports my argument, without knowing the quality of the study or how it fits into the broader research landscape

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Studies exist to confirm existing biases, you're just doing as god intended

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

COVID basically proved that most people don't know how to read studies anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

COVID basically proved that most people don't know how to read

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

COVID basically proved that most people don't know how to read studies anyway.

Are you sure? I might do my own research on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

For a mere three thousand bucks your research can also be published in a journal by next week.