Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm not fully into the new direction Steve says he wants to take the site. I think he does pretty good callout videos, and I know he wants to do more general industry content like the EVGA content they did, but I liked their approach to cooler and case reviews. I really would have liked to see them focus on doing lots of review content, but it seems like they'll keep that at a dripfeed instead. I don't trust anyone else's cooler reviews, fan reviews seem like a mess too, there's not enough people doing PSU reviews either. And I guess it'll stay that way because making outrage videos gets more clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, I can't say I've watched any of the recent expose videos, just read summaries of them lol

Hopefully they still do more stuff like the recent video on those weirdo motherboards

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Wow, to each their own I guess. But I love the callout videos so much. Corporations are horrible as moral entities that try to spread and subvert accountability at every turn and they need to be called out on it. Consumers need an advocate and that’s Steve. Think about how many people might have lost out if someone wasn’t promoting this lates asus failure. He even mentions it: Asus would blame AMD and AMD would blame Asus and neither one would provide any kind of help or replacements except for those who were super persistent.

The reviews are also cool. Especially with the over-budgeted marketing depts these companies have

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Steve also mentioned that they were going to get back into written reviews. This I dig.

I would be so happy if everything wasn’t a monetized 19 min YouTube video.

Not that I don’t enjoy some video content, it’s just that I’m old and I don’t like everything being a video.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it really an age thing to prefer reading something in a couple minutes instead of spending 30 minutes waiting to hear it in a video

It’s not like Steve is Gen Z friendly

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m sure it is more a revenue thing, GN couldn’t make anywhere near the same revenue off “print” compared to a YouTube video long enough for midrolls. Even if you skip around, YouTube will end up (trying to) serve its ads and they’ll be worth far more than more easily blocked webpage ads.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of people resent everything being video though and the goodwill earned from continuing to publish written reviews (likely a negligible cost since they wrote it all for the video script anyway) is probably worth some merch sales or patreon subs.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Probably. I get the impression that nobody at GN actually liked web stuff just from how their webpage from 2015 looks like it’s from 1995.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Probably. I get the impression that nobody at GN actually liked web stuff just from how their webpage from 2015 looks like it’s from 1995.

That actually makes me think they do like web stuff if they have that level of "if it ain't broke" mentality.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Just print the script to the web page and have ChatGPT condense it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:yeah:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A video in which Linux loses a ton of server room space by installing 2 solid feet of insulation on the walls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0PkoYN45tY

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Beve Stuscemi posted:

A video in which Linux loses a ton of server room space by installing 2 solid feet of insulation on the walls
Where are you getting 2' from?

The plywood is what, 1/2" at most? The green board looked to be about an 1", and the final foam was maybe 6".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Canadian feet are smaller

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

Canadian feet are smaller

Yeah have you ever seen linises hands?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vuzqunync8

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Some bullet points I ripped off from somewhere else:

- Still going to be in the company as Chief Vision Officer. Doing the same stuff but with less CEO/management overhead.
- Still owns the company.
- Has turned down an offer recently to buy LTT for 100 million.
- What does change: reporting. No-one will report into him anymore.
- New CEO is Terren Tong, formerly Linus' boss at their old company, NCIX (Linus says the only person who could manage him).
- Has worked as a contractor for the last 6 months to make sure he was a team fit.
- Linus considers him a friend, mentor, and someone he can learn from, which he felt was something missing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Lmao NCIX

That went well

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
My god, what an idiot, $60,000,000 is pure, can't gently caress it up generational wealth, it's not mansion money, it's not sports car money, competently financially managed and assuming he has other assets/investments and at least some of that other $40M work out, his family wouldn't have to worry about money for generations, especially if he is happy in his current lifestyle and can spend another decade or two comfortably building a cash pile to comfortably start getting into things like private equity, real estate.

My god, jesus christ, he is admitting to this.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Doing something because you like it rather than selling out should be applauded.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Wikipedia article starts with:

quote:

NCIX (formerly known as Netlink Computer Inc) was an online computer hardware and software retailer based in Richmond, British Columbia, Canada, founded in 1996 by Steve Wu (伍啟儀). The company served as an incubator for Linus Tech Tips, which was originally conceived by NCIX while Linus Sebastian was working there.

Outlets
It had retail outlets in Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Richmond and Langley, British Columbia, as well as Markham, Mississauga, Scarborough, Toronto and Ottawa, Ontario. At one point, NCIX had 3 shipping facilities, one in Richmond, British Columbia, another in Markham, Ontario, and one in City of Industry, California. By July 17, 2017, NCIX had closed the Mississauga, Toronto, and Ottawa retail locations. NCIX declared bankruptcy with the Supreme Court of British Columbia on December 1, 2017, and stopped processing orders.

It’s good when your retail chain is known mainly as where a YouTube channel started, right?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean he's got a wife, kids, and a jake at home, he doesn't have time for the management stuff anymore

still tho 100m lmao good loving god

e: lmao he mentions the backpack warranty thing, he really just wants to dodge the responsibility that being CEO entails without losing the money that owning the company entails

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Linus turning down dynastic wealth to keep his vision of LTT pure is some crazy poo poo. It's good (for me, a viewer) but a ridiculous amount of money to say no to.

They're still easily pulling in a few million a year, want for nothing and this way he gets to keep his work friends.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

power crystals posted:

Doing something because you like it rather than selling out should be applauded.

I assure you he could very much find something to like to do, things that actually provide a meaningfully good to the world, with a $60M investment portfolio.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet but did he mention any of the terms of a buy out? If it required him staying in control, making videos and the face of the brand it makes sense why he might decline it if he can go hands off and continue making money.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bezos wasted a billion dollars on a bad LOTR show, Musk continues to be the worst poster in the universe and Zuckerberg is probably going to run for president and eat poo poo.

What I'm saying is that it's good that Linus stays busy and employed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

well why not posted:

Bezos wasted a billion dollars on a bad LOTR show, Musk continues to be the worst poster in the universe and Zuckerberg is probably going to run for president and eat poo poo.

What I'm saying is that it's good that Linus stays busy and employed.

Broadcast.com

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol remember floatplane?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I know only 2 channels other than LMG themselves who use Floatplane. HUB (who I think also have a Patreon aka the platform people actually use) and Dankpods who moved his drum stream there and had to be told by multiple other Youtubers do not loving give up your Patreon income to move to this platform nowhere near as many people use.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's difficult to figure out what channels do exist on floatplane. I thought there'd be a youtube/twitch/netflix style popular content list, but it seems like that's not the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

njsykora posted:

I know only 2 channels other than LMG themselves who use Floatplane. HUB (who I think also have a Patreon aka the platform people actually use) and Dankpods who moved his drum stream there and had to be told by multiple other Youtubers do not loving give up your Patreon income to move to this platform nowhere near as many people use.

dankpods' whole setup is weird. I feel like he's giving up a lot of money by separating the drum streams into a separate floatplane subscription and making the $1 tier the only patreon tier that matters. But I guess he's still making good money, and he also got rich off dogecoin so he probably doesn't care anyway.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
He'd mentioned a few times that the buyout amount was "seven figures" on WAN Show, but was vague on what role he still could/would have if they took it.

I'm wondering internally what the straw was to push this to go forward? The whole "Trust Me Bro" bullshit, his "if people want a union, I've failed" I don't know what to call, and just add on how little he knows how to actually run a business. This needed to happen.

It's weird, I've got no stake in LMG at all, frankly I can't really stand his attitude all that much, especially in any of the stream video's. His whole "I know everything. How I do this is the best way to do it, everything else is stupid" is the one that rubs me the most. Oh, and the dodge about why they didn't cover the AMD/Asus issue? It's because they don't review motherboards anymore, so it didn't effect them.

That said, his interactions that we've seen with his employees, say during the 5k makeover videos, has been fun, and mostly the videos are at least entertaining (though I wish they would branch out more on short reviews, rather than a new 60% keyboard every week). I doubt this will have much of an effect on new videos, though how much more dodging he will do, because now he can just go "well I'm not in charge" I suspect will get old VERY quick.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Some bullet points I ripped off from somewhere else:

- Still going to be in the company as Chief Vision Officer. Doing the same stuff but with less CEO/management overhead.
- Still owns the company.

I don't foresee the owner / face of the company / youtube creator Linus Sebastian stepping on the CEO's toes at all.

quote:

- Has turned down an offer recently to buy LTT for 100 million.

This actually does make sense to me.

quote:

- What does change: reporting. No-one will report into him anymore.
- New CEO is Terren Tong, formerly Linus' boss at their old company, NCIX (Linus says the only person who could manage him).
- Has worked as a contractor for the last 6 months to make sure he was a team fit.
- Linus considers him a friend, mentor, and someone he can learn from, which he felt was something missing.

It seems like he wanted a COO not a CEO, but it looks like Nick Light is their COO already.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
NCIX declared bankruptcy abruptly as I had an order in flight and I had to do my first ever charge back. Apparently the books were being completely fabricated and it was just rife with the CEO's relatives pillaging the place.

So, good luck dude! Solid pedigree to hire from.

As a company it sucks as well but was sort of the "least bad" option. You hated having to go to the stores even to pickup your order because everyone working there was surly, slow and didn't give a poo poo about customer service.

I'm glad it's dead!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

well why not posted:

Linus turning down dynastic wealth to keep his vision of LTT pure is some crazy poo poo. It's good (for me, a viewer) but a ridiculous amount of money to say no to.

They're still easily pulling in a few million a year, want for nothing and this way he gets to keep his work friends.

It makes sense when you look at someone like Elon Musk. Some people just want popularity and to be liked. Musk is proof that you can't buy that - not with any amount of money. Linus makes enough money that, as you say, his family wants for nothing. So why give up the popularity/positive attention that he craves and currently gets just for more money? Good for him for recognizing that and sticking to his vision.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

FWIW Tong left NCIX in 2012, a few years before it really started to fall apart.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It makes sense when you look at someone like Elon Musk. Some people just want popularity and to be liked. Musk is proof that you can't buy that - not with any amount of money. Linus makes enough money that, as you say, his family wants for nothing. So why give up the popularity/positive attention that he craves and currently gets just for more money? Good for him for recognizing that and sticking to his vision.

yeah if it means Linus doesn't end up posting on Twitter and rotting his brain from being too online more power to him I guess

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Didn’t he already “step down” from being the front face of the company like a year or two ago and then exactly nothing changed?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

My god, what an idiot, $60,000,000 is pure, can't gently caress it up generational wealth, it's not mansion money, it's not sports car money, competently financially managed and assuming he has other assets/investments and at least some of that other $40M work out, his family wouldn't have to worry about money for generations, especially if he is happy in his current lifestyle and can spend another decade or two comfortably building a cash pile to comfortably start getting into things like private equity, real estate.

My god, jesus christ, he is admitting to this.

Yeah uh, the dude clearly likes what he does and his org. I think LTT misses sometimes, does some goofy poo poo, and I prefer my Steve's to my Linus's, but regardless of what I, or anyone else thinks, Linus did build an impressive empire here. I'm pretty excited for him and I'm excited that he didn't sell the company as it would have almost certainly went to poo poo without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

We shouldn't forget that it has to be one hell of a good feeling to have a company successful enough that not only can you step away from running it, and turn down a large offer to buy it out, but also to be able to hire your old boss to run it for you. :v: