Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I would consider General of the Army of the United States political experience.

Honestly Grant needs way more love I feel like Grant is an honest real answer to what we can be as Americans.

nobody appreciates general Winfield Scott and it's a crime he was too much of a fat pompous rear end in a top hat to win the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
his autobiography is pretty rad

he hates Andrew Jackson and militia morons

he really, REALLY hates the Confederates

he feels super loving sad about the trail of tears and obviously doesn't want to talk about it but feels he saved a lot of lives over whoever else would have been in charge because he's the only person in the entire government of the time that thought native Americans were people

relatedly, my favorite bit is when a couple natives allied with the British tried to assassinate him while he was held prisoner, with literal hatchets, and his take is "eh, fair enough, look at all the poo poo we did and are doing to them"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

relatedly, my favorite bit is when a couple natives allied with the British tried to assassinate him while he was held prisoner, with literal hatchets, and his take is "eh, fair enough, look at all the poo poo we did and are doing to them"

This sounds like an autobiography I need to read.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
DeSantis thinks that his avenue is being the adult in the room who can occasionally act civil but doesn't understand that GOP voters don't give a loving poo poo about that. The large majority of them still believe that the election was stolen. I think Ron has a chance based solely on the fact that a lot of Republicans view Florida as a model state and a blueprint for the country. PLus, he might get some backing from the old money crowd who really fund these campaigns and hate Donald Trump that see him as useful in that sense.

Problem is, the lunatics have taken over the party and several of them even hold office.

I'll give the GOP this much: they know what they want and have two big name candidates they're absolutely fanatical about. The Democrats have Biden, Jack and poo poo.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

BiggerBoat posted:

DeSantis thinks that his avenue is being the adult in the room who can occasionally act civil but doesn't understand that GOP voters don't give a loving poo poo about that. The large majority of them still believe that the election was stolen. I think Ron has a chance based solely on the fact that a lot of Republicans view Florida as a model state and a blueprint for the country. PLus, he might get some backing from the old money crowd who really fund these campaigns and hate Donald Trump that see him as useful in that sense.

Problem is, the lunatics have taken over the party and several of them even hold office.

I'll give the GOP this much: they know what they want and have two big name candidates they're absolutely fanatical about. The Democrats have Biden, Jack and poo poo.

More than that, who comes after Biden? Harris? Newsom? Is Bernie secretly a vampire and will be good to run in 2028?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This sounds like an autobiography I need to read.

it's been out of copyright for A WHILE lol, you can get it for free p easy

E: iirc based on his retelling the native folks felt like they needed to uphold their own version of honor, so rather than sneak up behind him and slit his throat, they walked into his cushy cell and announced "we're gonna murder you now, American military scumbag"

then he killed one of them with his sword because this is 1813, if you're a white european-ish officer you can keep your sword on you when prisoner as long as you promise not to escape, and held off the other until the British guards got off their asses and blew the second assassin away

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 19, 2023

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Yureina posted:

More than that, who comes after Biden? Harris? Newsom? Is Bernie secretly a vampire and will be good to run in 2028?

Joke option Beto.

Joke (but sadly more realistic) option Gillibrand.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Yureina posted:

My guess is that it'll be some dead-eyed technocrat like Buttigieg, Harris or Newsom; prolly one of the first two bc they look good on idpol scorecards.

eta: I forgot about Big Boy Pritzker; he'd have a decent shot, especially after funding various DNC offshoots like Correct the Record for millions over the years.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 19, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yureina posted:

Mayo Pete or Newsom. Or someone exactly the same who hasn’t risen to public attention.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There's always a lot of governors and would-be governors floating around with presidential ambition. I don't think Inslee is gonna run again, but people like that for sure.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's always a lot of governors and would-be governors floating around with presidential ambition. I don't think Inslee is gonna run again, but people like that for sure.

Watch for a clown car primary as a large number of those people will try to position themselves for future elections and hope that Newsom stumbles in the early elections.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Yureina posted:

Historically it's not normal to expect there to be and people who say it with certainty are nearly always wrong. At this point in 2015 Clinton was a pretty safe bet but lots of people were as positive she'd be running against juggernauts like Walker or Jeb as they were about DeSantis cruising to the White House 2024 not that long ago. And that's a year out from the primary. For better recent equivalents What were the big bets for 2008 GOP candidates in 2003?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sir Lemming posted:

Like everything else about this increasingly reluctant campaign, I can imagine this working in a world where Trump wasn't waiting in the wings to call him a poopy head, but not in the actual reality we're currently dealing with.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised he's still going through with it. Maybe he promised a bunch of people he would.

sunk state cost fallacy + he's certainly promised a bunch of people poo poo + if he were to back down now all of his public showmanship of trying to own the woke Disney is for naught.

plus, honestly, recognizing he's a huge fuckup with a dead-before-arrival campaign would require him to have a shred of self awareness, and puddin' fingers... speaks for himself on that front

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Killer robot posted:

For better recent equivalents What were the big bets for 2008 GOP candidates in 2003?

That early in the primaries I think it was assumed by a lot of people that it would end up being Hillary VS. Guliani.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Tarezax posted:

As a house member I don't think she has any power to do so
no, i know she can't do anything but run her mouth, but why isn't she running her mouth on an obviously winning issue with-
oh, i guess what i'm asking is "why isn't she smarter"? nevermind. disregard.

BiggerBoat posted:

desantis is just off putting (he should be "off pudding" haha) and i'm not just talking the recent-mouth-thing, he tends to visibly pout and shut down and squirm when confronted. at least trump could point to people and smile, it's hard to connect with voters when all you have is "about to throw up" and "visibly uncomfortable"

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

High speed internet should be a utility at this point.

and in the People's Republic of Chattanooga Tennessee, it is!

quote:

The best internet in America
Chattanooga proves them wrong. Its fastest broadband connection runs to 10 gigabits per second, fast enough to download a two-hour HD movie in three seconds; the starter pack offers 300 megabits per second for less than $60 a month. These prices haven’t ever risen. The broadband is so attractive that it has drawn companies and professionals to the city. And in a post-pandemic future where remote jobs will be a more staple way of life, Chattanooga’s broadband prompted PC Mag, this past January, to rate it the best work-from-home city in the country.

By owning the broadband network, the city is able to make it more inclusive as well. Last summer, when students had to attend school online, Chattanooga offered free internet access to 17,000 low-income families and their 30,000 or so children. “The city paid the cost of building the network out to these homes, and they offered 10 years of service free at 100 megabits per second,” said Christopher Mitchell, who heads efforts to expand broadband access at an advocacy group called the Institute for Local Self-Reliance. “I’d say it’s the only place in the US where there’s no digital divide, although of course that’s a complicated term.”

https://qz.com/1996234/the-best-broadband-in-the-us-is-in-chattanooga-tn

yes. in eastern tennessee.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

So if Feinstein is so determined to die in office, has anyone considered just letting her? How many 20 hour days do you think she has in her? Just wheel her into every meeting until she changes her mind. I bet you could get her out of office one way or another in two weeks. Putting her on light duty is affording her more respect than she's currently giving to the office.

If I were an aide or a page or something, I'd be jumping around every corner with a scary mask on. You're gonna get one of these fossils eventually.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Beast Pussy posted:

So if Feinstein is so determined to die in office, has anyone considered just letting her? How many 20 hour days do you think she has in her? Just wheel her into every meeting until she changes her mind. I bet you could get her out of office one way or another in two weeks. Putting her on light duty is affording her more respect than she's currently giving to the office.

If I were an aide or a page or something, I'd be jumping around every corner with a scary mask on. You're gonna get one of these fossils eventually.

If you were an aide or page, you'd be welding a tremendous about of power from being in control of Feinstein, all the power and influence of a senator with none of the responsibility. Not many people would want to give that up, hence the reports of her staff working to cover her actual condition, making sure she doesn't wander off on her own to talk to reporters. Unless you're suggesting that other senators' aides should be trying this sort of thing.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

You're right. In this hypothetical scenario I care more about this country than scrambling for power, which is why I haven't been invited to be a Congressional diaper changer.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yureina posted:

Whitmer? Duckworth? Newsom? Sherrod Brown? Just because we spend all our time here talking about Biden and his lame VP pick and Bernie doesn't mean there's zero bench.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How long until the AOC presidency?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Just find a staircase and have an accident

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

InsertPotPun posted:

no, i know she can't do anything but run her mouth, but why isn't she running her mouth on an obviously winning issue with-
oh, i guess what i'm asking is "why isn't she smarter"? nevermind. disregard.
The Feinstein situation as it stands only hurts the Dems. Even MTG knows not to interrupt the enemy when they are making a mistake. And do you really think she wants to introduce the idea of competence as a qualification for office?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm sure Weekend at Bernie's sounds like a lark in theory but the grim reality of wheeling around a poorly -embalmed mummy all day starts to get old pretty quickly

Nah, it's all a blast. The problem only comes once Bernie starts to smell and everyone keeps asking how you can possibly think it's ok to manhandle the dead for your own sick kicks. Which is why Feinstein's staff have suddenly gone from "nothing to see here" to "It's a tragedy. A tragedy. Unfortunately my hands are tied".

BiggerBoat posted:

The big flaw is that he can't even act like an adult or civilly even occasionally.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Lone Badger posted:

How long until the AOC presidency?

Still wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems give her the Corbyn treatment first.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems give her the Corbyn treatment first.

The Democratic party establishment will never allow her to become the nominee, and even if she somehow made it to the general, the US electorate would never willingly choose a woman for president, so pick a more "realistic" option from your slate of milquetoast white men, please.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Beast Pussy posted:

There's a 95 year old Federal Circuit Judge who is at present having paranoid sundowner fits that are causing her staff to quit, declines to follow court obligations based on conversations she thinks she's having with a chief judge who's been dead for 17 years, cannot retain information necessary to log into the court system (and then flies into a rage because she's convinced it's because she's being hacked), threatens to arrest her staffers, and has almost stopped handling her workload entirely. But she categorically refuses to step down and is and suing to block any attempt to obligate her to neurological and neuropsychological assessment. Apparently as long as she can still manage to find her way into the courtroom to poo poo her pants and yell at walls, this is all it takes to permit her to remain one of the country's most important judges.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes, if it was being done in a way that was overly personal (eg “haha your brother drank himself to death”), or if it’s seen as painting people with a broad brush (eg “deplorables”.)

And who are these people, so pure of heart, that they will forgo someone driving their interests because they are mean to Donald Trump?

Still haven't seen any evidence that "deplorables" cost Hillary a single vote either as opposed to a thousand other things.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of the deranged post from way back about having to fight to not have your name stricken for the ballot for spurious reasons, like Obama did to his opponents, is just how the game is played and you're an idiot not to accept that. Just an incredible democracy you have there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

And who are these people, so pure of heart, that they will forgo someone driving their interests because they are mean to Donald Trump?

Still haven't seen any evidence that "deplorables" cost Hillary a single vote either as opposed to a thousand other things.

It didn't cost her any votes but it DID super charge a lot of chuds who were otherwise just going to stay home to come out and yank the lever for Trump because they were a bunch of hit dogs howling. It was the Comey Letter that did her in and cost her enough votes to get owned by Trump. But yes, calling a bunch of shitheads rightly shitheads played a role in her downfall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kavros posted:

There's a 95 year old Federal Circuit Judge who is at present having paranoid sundowner fits that are causing her staff to quit, declines to follow court obligations based on conversations she thinks she's having with a chief judge who's been dead for 17 years, cannot retain information necessary to log into the court system (and then flies into a rage because she's convinced it's because she's being hacked), threatens to arrest her staffers, and has almost stopped handling her workload entirely. But she categorically refuses to step down and is and suing to block any attempt to obligate her to neurological and neuropsychological assessment. Apparently as long as she can still manage to find her way into the courtroom to poo poo her pants and yell at walls, this is all it takes to permit her to remain one of the country's most important judges.

Lifetime appointments made a lot more sense when to become a doctor you just had to start referring to your self as one, and the height of medical technology was better ways to bring your humors into balance.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gyges posted:

Lifetime appointments made a lot more sense when to become a doctor you just had to start referring to your self as one, and the height of medical technology was better ways to bring your humors into balance.

also if you felt strongly enough that another toff was a bad actor you could duel them to the death

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Gyges posted:

Yeah, the judicial system coasts on what it considers its own informal chummy solutions, like a formally suggested appointment 'up' to a senior position (that serves only at invitation) or gentle pressure from your colleagues to step down, but this judge absolutely will not have it with any suggestion that she needs to quit or have any oversight whatsoever, so instead she's a test of how crazy this can actually get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Combine the effects of dementia with immense institutional privilege and being on the beneficial end of a lifetime of :decorum: and you get pretty much all the worst possible cases of ancient husks sitting atop all the actual important institutions. And it feels like we're getting an entire generation of those people reaching sundowning age at once.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Combine the effects of dementia with immense institutional privilege and being on the beneficial end of a lifetime of :decorum: and you get pretty much all the worst possible cases of ancient husks sitting atop all the actual important institutions. And it feels like we're getting an entire generation of those people reaching sundowning age at once.

Feels like? They're not called baby boomers for nothing, they sure are going out with a bang. By that I mean jumping out with a hanglider made of social security, stocks and housing properties while the whole planet explodes behind them. It's far from an American thing too, though I suppose the country is younger than most other Western countries so the liches holding on to their ancient power kind of stands out more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DarkCrawler posted:

Feels like? They're not called baby boomers for nothing, they sure are going out with a bang. By that I mean jumping out with a hanglider made of social security, stocks and housing properties while the whole planet explodes behind them. It's far from an American thing too, though I suppose the country is younger than most other Western countries so the liches holding on to their ancient power kind of stands out more.

IIRC most of the really ancient ones aren't even boomers yet, though the difference is probably academic.

It's also pretty specifically a Democrat thing too at this point, thanks to having aggressively shut out younger generations for near two decades at this point at least while Republicans quickly remove anyone who doesn't seem useful even to stonewall.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Yureina posted:

scuttlebutt out of the PA dem machine is that Josh Shapiro has his eye on 2028 so add another milky and toasted white dude to the pile

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, wait the Space Force is still an actual thing?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.spaceforce.com/how-to-j...zhoCyHoQAvD_BwE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes, and there's a good chance they'll increase in relative importance over the next several decades within the US DoD. It's unlikely they'll ever be a coequal branch like Navy/AF/Army, but the potential for increased militarization of space is still there - and having an established specialized force to deal with it isn't a bad idea. Hell, even prior to becoming an independent service branch under USAF, the USAF had a dedicated space command - that's what was largely lopped off to create Space Force.

Their careers site is hilarious and worth going through. What kind of Guardian are you?