Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

What the gently caress kind of shark has a taste or texture anything remotely like a scallop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cenotaph posted:

What the gently caress kind of shark has a taste or texture anything remotely like a scallop?

They artificially flavor them. I used the incorrect term the I think the “bay scallops” are what they call the fake ones.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol my goon shut the gently caress up bay scallops are freshwater animals and even the most landlocked skaggs alpha beta piggly wiggly has real ones

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.tastingtable.com/913501/dont-be-fooled-by-fake-scallops/

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

okay you finally got me googling and the internet certainly wants me to think its a big and real issue. i swear to god i read the "punching fake scallops out of sharks" line in a scifi story recently

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve seen in person years old frozen wild salmon fillets cut down and repacked into 3-5 and 5-6 oz vacuum packs.

Seafood has a crazy salvage and mislabeling scene particularly in restaurants. It goes in and out of the news over the years. Scallops are one of the things that gets faked.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Wow, anywhere from 25 to 70% of the time??? That clears things up.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

texturally youre never going to convince anyone who gives a poo poo that fake crab meat or shark is a scallop but you could definitely bivalve flavorize whatever.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ive got a little bottle of bivalve syrup i dose my sodastream with

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Man I’ve never eaten an oyster and I’m unsure how to start

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

first you must create the universe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

then open your mouth and put an oyster inside

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 19, 2023

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

your local sushi chef tells you the scallops are from hokkaido, but are they actually just chopped loach? tonight on news team six

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

all you gotta do is go to your local shuckery and say "please sir can i have some oyster" and they will give you some. Make sure you say the "i" in lowercase or you won't get any oyster

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

You should have a bottle of clam juice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Just wait for the local bivalve vendor to walk by your place with the day's catch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ov_M5ixhE

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i recommend washington dc for oysters so first, head there

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I recommend your mom's for clam

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

this guys obviously not a fan of clams

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

What a way for you to best me most gracefully. I have been owned

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you want to eat oysters grow up by the ocean where they grow so you can have a local oyster that when shucked reveals a tiny bit of the water you learned to swim in. This way when you eat it you can miss your home and regret aging like a real oyster fan. Bonus points if it makes you cry

Also oysters aren't dangerous outside of "R" months but they're usually not as good because they have literally just spooged most of their body out as spawn and they're all weak and piddly.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

oysters are only good fresh. idk what it is ive had the fanciest bottled oysters and they still taste like rubber rear end, while fresh ones taste like sea air

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

oysters are only good fresh. idk what it is ive had the fanciest bottled oysters and they still taste like rubber rear end, while fresh ones taste like sea air

oyster dressing is the only thing i use shucked for

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cat Hassler posted:

Man I’ve never eaten an oyster and I’m unsure how to start

get the small ones, japanese extra smalls, the place in coos bay calls them moon rocks. shuck it, split the shell open, try not to loose any of the juice, cut the foot on the bottom of the shell, scrape the meat off the top of the shell, put some lemon on it then put it in your mouth. you can chew it a little, but it's also fine to just swallow it whole

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

nah go down tha pacific oyster pier and ask for the biggest ones they got- it should barely fit in your mouth and you should have to chew it at least half a dozen times. you can heckle the plant workers while you eat and they have to bring you more cocktail sauce if you ask for it

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

nah go down tha pacific oyster pier and ask for the biggest ones they got- it should barely fit in your mouth and you should have to chew it at least half a dozen times. you can shuckle the plant workers while you eat and they have to bring you more cocktail sauce if you ask for it

This is correct.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Thank you for the oyster advice

I just don’t want a bad first experience like when I decided to try Beach Cliff sardines in soybean oil as my introduction to the ‘dine world

naem
May 29, 2011

there was a corner store seafood place near me in New York that had something like this but fresher with scallops, really tiny squid, several other things that you could stir fry and serve with pasta and I’ve never been able to find it again

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Cat Hassler posted:

I just don’t want a bad first experience like when I decided to try Beach Cliff sardines in soybean oil as my introduction to the ‘dine world

dont get the big ones listen to voice of labor

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Saucer Hovers posted:

dont get the big ones listen to voice of labor

I think the fact that I live in Seattle makes me a loser for asking about this

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

if you're eating them fresh and you're shucking them yourself, as you should be, don't eat the ones that have already opened. that's true for all shellfish but you seem inexperienced in these matters and I don't want you to die.

how to shuck. oyster knife in one hand, towel doubled up over the other. oyster goes on towel, knife goes into the little hole on the back of the oyster (the part of the shell that hinges, not the part that opens wide), usually angled up a little bit. put that knife in that oyster hole slowly and kinda jiggle/twist it around a little, when the oyster pops, shim the knife around the shell until the shell pops open fully. the oyster is attached to the shell by a foot in the inside bottom of the shell, cut that off

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Cat Hassler posted:

I think the fact that I live in Seattle makes me a loser for asking about this

Head out towards the coast and find a dock with a processing plant on a bay with a shack in the parking lot that’s covered in crushed oyster shells. Maybe they’ll have mignonette maybe they won’t but this is how I introduce people to oysters here.

If you’re feeling bougie maybe Walrus & Carpenter for their escalating happy hour (if they still do it). I’m particularly fond of Harry’s down on Alki for their happy hour oysters but I’m over on the West side and it’s easy and affordable. Seconding to start with the small ones, much more approachable and delicious.

Edit: My early experiences with oysters were mostly lovely canned ones and the common refrain was to swallow them whole, which I did. I’ve since graduated to chewing the fresh ones especially because drat, shits good. But as said above if it weirds you out just slurp it down whole at the start and go from there.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 20, 2023

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Are Zoomers horning in on our old people snack? or is it just ironic stuff I'm too Gen X to understand?

naem
May 29, 2011

this thread and the one before it began ironically and then rapidly became 100% wholesome and earnest to the point it seems ironic, right up until you try some dines and we convert you

fish are timeless

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Yay my corner store got sardines again after like 2 years of not stocking them

Wild Planet in olive oil which I’ve never had

They’ve got black pepper Triscuits and avocados too so I have my mid day snack figured out for tomorrow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the hypnospace outlaw spinoff, slayers x, has some vulgar anti sardine content. will be boycotting

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I won't be supporting this anti-dine propaganda

btw where are you sourcing your 'dines? Amazon seems stupidly priced for the good stuff, but I dont know that I've ever seen quality dines in a store

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

The Voice of Labor posted:

the hypnospace outlaw spinoff, slayers x, has some vulgar anti sardine content. will be boycotting

I will stand with you, friend. Even though I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, as usual. :v:

e: oh, the picture wasn't loading on my phone. Now I see.

Vampire Panties posted:

I won't be supporting this anti-dine propaganda

btw where are you sourcing your 'dines? Amazon seems stupidly priced for the good stuff, but I dont know that I've ever seen quality dines in a store

You've never seen King Oscar in stores near you? Those are pretty common and Good. Season and Reese brands are decent too, as far as grocery store dines go.

https://rainbowtomatoesgarden.com/ is great for high quality stuff.

AND OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED THEY HAVE KIMCHI. I can't get any here in bumblefucktown.

and Pickled Perilla Leaves in Soy Sauce, whatever those are. I will find out by shoving some down my gullet.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 22, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Cat Hassler posted:

some people like this get real dramatic about cheap sardines and ive never understood it. if you have to spend nine bucks on a can to enjoy em, live your life, but don't put other people off the $1.78 deal dines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

beachcliff is like cheap beer. you hit a certain age and you're just too old for it.

the bigger concern, one of the thread commandments, is to not have someone pick up a can of, like, bumblebee in mustard, try it, determine that it's disgusting, then write off sardines entirely