Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Just based on the pictures I'd say the ID = iD and it's Doom Eternal with the other pictures being the slipgate and shotgun... except with Bethesda being owned by Microsoft that makes zero sense
Bethesda and Id have a bunch of games on EGS, though Doom Eternal is not among them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Played a good amount of Shapez which came up on the free EGS rotation about a month ago, definitely worth checking out if you added it to your library but haven't touched it. First time I can recall specifically liking a game's logo.

Once you're hit level 20 on the main objective path you're tasked with producing 25,000 of these. It looks extremely simple given the sorts of things you're already making at that stage.

You can even find nodes on the map with the same general figure ready to go.

So how hard can it be?

The small square on the bottom left can't be placed on its own due to a property of stacking which hasn't really been explored at that point. Stackers will place items on two layers with the second layer appearing smaller on top of the first, but if the small square is attempted to be placed on the top layer on its own it will just fall down to the empty space on the layer below it appearing at normal size. Here's my improvised solution after a bit of failed experimentation, I'm sure there are optimizations on this but I think it needs some general implementation of this concept.

These machines cut up the base shape, thow away one quadrant and reassemble it into a 3-quadrant shape to later create an overhang for the small square.

White dye is created by mixing the three primary colors

By overhanging the three-quadrant shape over a diced up and dyed half circle, I get a shape with the correct bottom half for the final shape.

Shapes are cut vertically, so they're rotated, cut, then rotated back. The grey square stays small because it's still attached to the larger white circle quadrant.

Another base shape is diced up, dyed and reassembled to produce the correct top half of the final shape

Final shape is assembled and sent up to the hub

The developers have done a great job of creating expansive systems out of a simple concept and I'm still unlocking new things after ~13 hours. Shapez 2 wasn't on my radar at all but I'm looking forward to it now, might try out the alpha build whenever I reach the final stages of the original.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's MGSV! (ground zeroes)

:mad:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Four DLC location packs for DiRT Rally 2.0 are currently free, presumably in preparation for a delisting of some kind: Sweden, Germany, Finland, Wales.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bloody Hell is free on GOG. I know nothing about it, but there you go.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Kins posted:

Four DLC location packs for DiRT Rally 2.0 are currently free, presumably in preparation for a delisting of some kind: Sweden, Germany, Finland, Wales.

Apparently I hadn't gotten Dirt Rally 2.0 for free when it was free some time ago. At least by paying the 5 euro I can play it now?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Kins posted:

While it's got no reviews on GOG (and I never heard of it), this one is also on Steam and free where it's got a ton of positive reviews. Seems like a fun one.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Metro: Last Light complete edition (game and DLCs) free on Steam starting the 18th and running until the 25th.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3762369/metro-last-light-complete-edition-available-for-free-from-may-18-to-25/

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pyrolocutus posted:

Metro: Last Light complete edition (game and DLCs) free on Steam starting the 18th and running until the 25th.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3762369/metro-last-light-complete-edition-available-for-free-from-may-18-to-25/

Weird that they didn't use the Redux version but it's still worth picking up if you don't have it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Kins posted:

As a British person who swears a great deal, I approve of this game’s title.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It was death stranding! Again! Enjoy! Again!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is it the deluxe edition on accident again. I missed that the first time

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It was death stranding! Again! Enjoy! Again!

well, if you insist

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

site posted:

Is it the deluxe edition on accident again. I missed that the first time

I wonder whatever happened because of that. I was able to snag it and they didn't retroactively take it back so I wonder if they just shrugged and wrote it off.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They played us like a damned fiddle!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

Metro's up to claim

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
The director's cut upgrade for Death Stranding is $5. On one hand it's five dollars, on the other hand I'll never play it. Dilemma for the ages

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MikeRabsitch posted:

The director's cut upgrade for Death Stranding is $5. On one hand it's five dollars, on the other hand I'll never play it. Dilemma for the ages

Just wait for when the upgrade becomes free. Then you get to keep $5 and still never play it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm going to add a column to my spreadsheet so I can calculate the average hours I'm also saving by not playing any of these video games

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you pay money for dlc for a game you got for free, you still aren't allowed to play any part of the game that isn't the dlc.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Okay well the weird news is that the DLC is the entire game kind of.

So feel free to enjoy but maybe don't just to be safe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1659314213939032064?s=20

You probably already have it but hey

I'm just waiting for them to make Skyrim free because then I'll have not paid for the entire Elder Scroll.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Entire series i have almost received for free:

Fallout, just missing 4

The Witcher, just missing 2

Metro, just missing Exodus

Dishonored, ha ha just joking I have received the entire Dishonored series for free

E: oh yeah, Mass Effect just missing Andromeda

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I'm going to add a column to my spreadsheet so I can calculate the average hours I'm also saving by not playing any of these video games

lol was that not already part of the equation? seems like an oversight

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1659314213939032064?s=20

You probably already have it but hey

I'm just waiting for them to make Skyrim free because then I'll have not paid for the entire Elder Scroll.

It's been free for decades.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You have Daggerfall, it came free with your GOG account!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I didn't get it, I have the oldest GOG account known to man.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Daggerfall has been free through Bethesda's website since 2009 or so. For a long time, you'd get it for free on GOG as a bonus if you bought a game by Bethesda or any Bethesda-owned studio like Id Software. They made it available to just get without buying anything about a year ago.

They've also put up Daggerfall Unity: The GOG Cut, which bundles in the Daggerfall Unity source port (which fixes myriad bugs and is basically essential) alongside a bunch of community mods of wildly varying quality.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

Entire series i have almost received for free:

Fallout, just missing 4

The Witcher, just missing 2

Metro, just missing Exodus

Dishonored, ha ha just joking I have received the entire Dishonored series for free

E: oh yeah, Mass Effect just missing Andromeda

Better off not having Fallout 4, game is dogshit

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Fallout 4 was fun as a generic run and gun shooter.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

True, don't miss out on Fallout 4 just because it doesn't have a good story or choices or the world. As a looter shooter or immersive sim it's quite good gameplay-wise, it looks great, and the subpar parts are not that intrusive. After the intro the game rarely forces you to pay attention to the story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One thing that you see a lot is "building up bases is useless" except... it isn't, if you do it in a useful way. Being the only entity in the wasteland with massive amounts of artillery coverage is not useless. But yeah if you want to have fun playing a role-playing game you need to role-play. The moment you utter or think of the word 'build' (as in character build, not literally building things) you've hosed up and it's impossible for you to enjoy the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One thing that you see a lot is "building up bases is useless" except... it isn't, if you do it in a useful way. Being the only entity in the wasteland with massive amounts of artillery coverage is not useless. But yeah if you want to have fun playing a role-playing game you need to role-play. The moment you utter or think of the word 'build' (as in character build, not literally building things) you've hosed up and it's impossible for you to enjoy the game.

Can you safely ignore the base building if it doesn't interest you at all? Because it doesn't interest me at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Can you safely ignore the base building if it doesn't interest you at all? Because it doesn't interest me at all.

Just play a character that isn't interested in rebuilding America. Bing bong done!

e: Caveat: in survival mode this will, as is realistic, make your life more difficult. Still doable.

ee: Even then minimal bulding will suffice. A faucet and a bed will help tremendously. Workbenches if you want to craft weapons and poo poo. If you don't, then :shrug: it's not like you need to craft to beat the game.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 19, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

3D Megadoodoo posted:

sorry does the artillery actually do anything in game?
or is this post saying "yes it is useless but doing useless stuff is fun if you roleplay enough"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

or is this post saying "yes it is useless but doing useless stuff is fun if you roleplay enough"

Well it loving blows stuff up because it's, you know, artillery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DFbZStxBI

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 19, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You throw markers and it blows up anything you throw it on.

It's not really that useful tbh. I found it quicker to just shoot people.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 19, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dogstile posted:

You throw markers and it blows up anything you throw it on.

It's not really that useful tbh. I found it quicker to just shoot people.

It's not until you have artillery everywhere, so you get shelling from multiple points. That's my point, it's only not useful if you don't realize it's potential.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Air Skwirl posted:

If i recall correctly, there’s one thing you need to build as part of a main quest, but you can put it anywhere and not think about it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Caveat: in survival mode this will, as is realistic, make your life more difficult. Still doable.

ee: Even then minimal bulding will suffice. A faucet and a bed will help tremendously. Workbenches if you want to craft weapons and poo poo. If you don't, then :shrug: it's not like you need to craft to beat the game.

Survival mode really brings it all together, it feels like the way it's supposed to be. It makes Charisma one of the more important stats, probably the most important in the franchise.

What it does is in addition to adding needs (sleep, drink, eat) and complicating healing it also makes it Dark Souls. You only save when you sleep in a bed, and your carry weight is severely limited, fast travel is turned off. Survival mode felt pointless in FNV to me cause you were never farther away than 3 minutes of walking from a vendor, and as there were no random encounter the road was always safe. Fo4 has a dynamic world so choosing a path is always an interesting decision. Some major factions open up their own ways of fast travel which is pointless outside of survival mode. Charisma allows you to organize settlements around the map and set up caravans between them "sharing" their inventory, you want that so that you always have a place to stay and craft nearby.

As 3D Megadoodoo said you don't really have to build a lot and the crafting system is simple, you'll never look at an item and wonder if you need it for crafting or not. If you're not in Survival mode you can easily fast travel to some of the established settlements to trade, and even in fast travel mode you can find beds to save in the wild. Base building is probably an optimal way to play, but it's an RPG, put your points in endurance instead, you'll be able to drink and eat irradiated stuff so you don't care about safe havens as much.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 19, 2023