Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

All the places that set up digital boards did it in the sweet spot where automation of the information was becoming cheap and possible but before apps became really popular. Cities looking at it now are just gonna shell out relative peanuts for an app and put up signs like that, because why spend more?

I hate having to look at an app though. Especially if you're underground and don't have signal.

Even if there is signal I need my phone for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
"Elon Musk naturally has a sense of humor and others desperately wish for it but can never achieve it" is the most opposite of reality thing I've ever read in this entire loving thread, Musk is like the very concept of being desperately unfunny was distilled in a lab and pressed into a vaguely human shape.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oops! I forgot what a joke is.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Vib Rib posted:

"Elon Musk naturally has a sense of humor and others desperately wish for it but can never achieve it" is the most opposite of reality thing I've ever read in this entire loving thread, Musk is like the very concept of being desperately unfunny was distilled in a lab and pressed into a vaguely human shape.
Are you familiar with the artist of that cartoon, and this thread in general

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kellies nomination: Most Opposite of Reality.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovic

Steve Benson

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I noticed something weird, when you peel off that Stiglich cartoon, underneath it's all just homophobic articles from 20 years back 🤔

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

From Wednesday:

China Daily

US dooms itself by Shi Yu

Le Monde

Pourquoi les oiseaux européens disparaissent ?/ Why are European birds disappearing? by Sanaga from France

Birds are massively disappearing
"We need to kill some quickly before there aren't anymore!"

by Ahmed Rahma from Turkey

Charlie Hebdo

:nws: Erect Penis

Erdogan: Like Cloclo only death will get rid of him
It refers to pop singer Claude François who died by accidental electrocution early in life.

The threats to elected officials go beyond borders.
"I don't dare leave the Kremlin."

:nws:Urinating penis

The end of water
"There's still time to act."

These two pieces focus on the scandals in the diocese surrounding Strasbourg, that led to the resignation of their arch-bishop.

When the fundamentalists run the church...
"The moderate pedophile priests are toasting..."
Signs read from left to right:'Unconvertible muslims', 'Incurable homosexuals', 'Demonic Genocidal Embryo Killers'

Monseigneur Ravel was barely involved in local affairs
Sign reads:Parochial Strasbourg Sausage Eating Competition
"We never saw him at our fairs."

TV reads:Help Sudan
"poo poo, we already voted for Ukraine for Eurovision..."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

skeleton warrior posted:

She didn't recuse herself from a case that involved the publisher of her book. This is, according to conservatives, exactly the same as Thomas receiving gifts and bribes for a decade, because how dare you.

Also, lmfao:

Just outright not existing in the same reality.

They're not in some other reality - they're helping make that alternate reality for the chuds.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The linked article isn't particularly complete in its accounting; it may help to remember that the Hill is historically the more conservative of the DC tiger beat rags, and Juan Williams is a Fox host. Among other things, Sotomayor had disclosed all the payments, which were in different years, and part of existing publication agreements at rates generally within the norm for books of the type.

There is still a conflict of interest and you could argue that the publisher may not have published her book in the first place if it wasn't for the pending court case (the first case was the same year her first book was published). She didn't try to hide the financials or anything like that, but I think we can both agree she probably should have recused herself from any cases involving that publisher. Apparently Gorsuch also has (had?) a publishing deal with the same publisher, so he should have recused himself as well.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

It's one of those situations where like, it's objectively morally a conflict of interest and she should have recused herself in a perfect world...buuuuut it's probably not legally a conflict of interest that could get her in trouble by current rules, even if it totally should

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It would not generally be considered a conflict of interest, which is why it wasn’t considered a conflict of interest at the time, and why Gorsuch’s similar agreements and the book deals by several other justices aren’t raising comment. You’re falling for the bad faith framing of a literal daily caller article.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Both calmhitler.jpg and virulently transphobic, we have a winner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skios posted:

Steve Kelley

Where's Manhatten, Skelley?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

Listen, I know it's probably not going to win the worst overall category, since everything is awful and it only gets worse. But, Jesus Christ. Portraying John Q Everyman as a smiling, happy man who is totally tolerant and in favor of equality, only for him to express a transphobic talking point and immediately be screamed at by the most appallingly transphobic caricature imaginable is like being slapped in the loving face.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"I'm all for equality, but only the kind of equality that doesn't make me, personally, uncomfortable."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The same guy who would be saying "I believe that gay and straight people should both have the equal right to marry someone of the opposite sex :smug:" a decade ago.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fister Roboto posted:

"I'm all for equality, but only the kind of equality that doesn't make me, personally, uncomfortable."

Closer to “I’m all for equality, but none of the specific elements that you consider necessary for equality. But you can’t say that I’m not for equality!!!!! How dare you

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also this is the same kind of motherfucker who lectures people about how "life isn't supposed to be fair".

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on global temperatures heading towards ‘uncharted territory’ – The world is likely to breach the 1.5C climate threshold in the next five years and almost certain to see record-breaking heat, scientists have warned"

Telegraph:

Free speech in peril as trans row engulfs Oxford University

Matt:

"Britain has a serious problem: no one wants to work"

Times:

"Martha Stewart is flashing her cleavage at 81. Must we all?"

Evening Standard:

Rishi Sunak says UK in talks with EU to allay carmakers’ Brexit concerns

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'll draw stupid squiggles for 600 grand a year Matt.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

Listen, I know it's probably not going to win the worst overall category, since everything is awful and it only gets worse. But, Jesus Christ. Portraying John Q Everyman as a smiling, happy man who is totally tolerant and in favor of equality, only for him to express a transphobic talking point and immediately be screamed at by the most appallingly transphobic caricature imaginable is like being slapped in the loving face.
look there's only so much equality to go around and if they're gonna get all "mad" about it they don't get it. see "united states vs u mad bro?"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

I believe in equality for everyone. Except for those people.

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

by Ahmed Rahma from Turkey

We can retire the "A Thing Happened" category, because nothing will ever beat this.

Cartoonist: An election is being held.
Reader: ...and?
Cartoonist: The candidates want people to vote for them!
Reader: Do you have any opinions about that?
Cartoonist: No.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Telegnostic posted:

We can retire the "A Thing Happened" category, because nothing will ever beat this.

Cartoonist: An election is being held.
Reader: ...and?
Cartoonist: The candidates want people to vote for them!
Reader: Do you have any opinions about that?
Cartoonist: No.

Note treat this as Kellies nomination.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

senpai notice me

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Fun question to ask people like this: if the Olympics started allowing trans athletes to compete in the gender category they say they belong in, how long do you think it would be before trans athletes dominate women's sports in the Olympics?

The IOC started allowing trans athletes to openly compete in 2004. It was 17 years before any trans athlete won a medal - an AFAB non-binary member of the Canadian women's soccer team at the 2020 Summer Olympics. While other trans athletes have competed, no trans athlete has otherwise ever won a medal at the Olympics.

Also, I see Lisa Benson still doesn't know what a witch hunt is.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Fun question to ask people like this: if the Olympics started allowing trans athletes to compete in the gender category they say they belong in, how long do you think it would be before trans athletes dominate women's sports in the Olympics?

The IOC started allowing trans athletes to openly compete in 2004. It was 17 years before any trans athlete won a medal - an AFAB non-binary member of the Canadian women's soccer team at the 2020 Summer Olympics. While other trans athletes have competed, no trans athlete has otherwise ever won a medal at the Olympics.

Also, I see Lisa Benson still doesn't know what a witch hunt is.

That's how you get transvestigators. Once you see that the theory does not fit the data, they will begin adjusting the data to fit the theory. See what they did to Caster Semenya, to start.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Stuart Robert hands in official resignation, triggering byelection in Queensland seat (Guardian). Robert was a former Liberal minister and at one point in charge of Robodebt and was recently being served by Albanese because he had clearly "quit" and wasn't turning up to parliament despite still drawing a salary. Also there is an Australian version of the show "Alone" where individuals survive in the wilderness.

Rowe:

Albo, trade minister Don Farrell, and China's ambassador to Australia Xiao Qian. China will resume Australian timber trade imports from Thursday, ambassador says (ABC).

Le Lievre:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Marty Two Bulls

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Mike Peters

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

That Generic CIA Guy might be Hitch's most horrifying facial abomination yet, look at that loving philtrum!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the gently caress is with this guy and his inane, childish scribbling

my eyes keep sliding past him when he gets posted but to my regret i actually looked at this one, and, uh,,,

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's the Krischen school of "news item, the thing: *literal drawing of thing*"

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

No, it’s worse than that, because it’s “news item: a thing”; “cartoon: made up lies to support thing”

Like, Gamble consistently makes poo poo up and presents it as fact. News item: “migrant caravan arriving” Gamble: “it’s 7,000,000 refugees from Venezuela!!!!” News item: “police morale is bad” Gamble: “because ultra liberal cities are taking their guns!!!!”

Like, it’s amazing how it’s just absolute horseshit right-wing propaganda doled out as fact without any comic exaggeration or attempt to be funny. It’s just straight out “what’s the biggest lie I can tell about liberals for my aged and stupid audience to swallow up????”

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

This is superb; was it illustrating a particular article?

Do the Kellies have a 'Best' category? If so: nom nom nomination

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Worst Opposite of Reality

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Gamble is breaking into the mostly left-wing cartoon phenomenon of making you read a loving novel with his drawings.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

This is superb; was it illustrating a particular article?

Do the Kellies have a 'Best' category? If so: nom nom nomination

Note: treat as Best Overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: Now You're a Cis

gently caress off Ted posted:

Transgender people want to be recognized for who they are, and called accordingly. Nothing could be more reasonable. Why do they insist on slapping labels and names on non-trans people?

First Dog on the Moon: A mouse, a toad and a midnight rescue - an illustrated good news story