Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Shot a talon of one of the dragons and I was following it to the ground and it just so happened to fall into the depths. Wasn't able to grab it in the pit and it's light dimmed to almost nothing once it was down there. Managed to find it but only because I was able to see it through a gap in some trees, it bounced surprisingly far away from the pit entrance down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Does a Flux Construct I Core do anything fused to a shield? I get them too infrequently to wanna waste it, since it's good on swords, but curious!

I love rocket shield by the way, that is too fun. Rocket on weapons on the other hand is ok, it's kinda funny how it doesn't do anything. But respectable 10 damage.

Game rules by the way! 7 days and probably 45 hrs in, only now doing that Rito blizzard cloud quest thingy. This will keep us busy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just completed the Wind Temple, which was really fun and meant to quit for the night, then I just...kept playing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Heavy Metal posted:

Does a Flux Construct I Core do anything fused to a shield? I get them too infrequently to wanna waste it, since it's good on swords, but curious!

I love rocket shield by the way, that is too fun. Rocket on weapons on the other hand is ok, it's kinda funny how it doesn't do anything. But respectable 10 damage.

Game rules by the way! 7 days and probably 45 hrs in, only now doing that Rito blizzard cloud quest thingy. This will keep us busy.

They’re fun on sticks but I get the impression they don’t last long

Same with most enemy body parts

Talus hearts? Gone in a couple minutes of twacking

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Tulin is gonna say gently caress and everyone will be aghast.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Steve Yun posted:

They’re fun on sticks but I get the impression they don’t last long

Same with most enemy body parts

Talus hearts? Gone in a couple minutes of twacking

Right on. Does the Flux Construct core do anything on a shield though? I wonder if anybody's tried that.

Talus hearts I tend to put on a shield, the glowing ones look cool. I don't know if they do anything other than being a rock, but they seem to last a long time. Do we know if fusing stuff onto shields raises their durability? And does say fusing two shields together do anything?

One thing I've noticed is fusing a spear onto a sword base, the spear seems to break off after several hits. But fusing two swords together, the end never seems to break off.

Another tidbit, the game keeps suggesting I put monster horns on a weapon. But I never do that, since I can hord those, but I can't hord all the weapons lying around. So I mainly only use horn weapons when they're stopped by enemies. Hordingrule.

And I'm hording the hell out of my capsules. I'll use them in the last 4 hours of the game.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 19, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on. Does the Flux Construct core do anything on a shield though? I wonder if anybody's tried that.

I'm, like, 80% sure they act like Fusing a spike wall to your shield, in that it increases the damage of smacking an enemy in the face with your shield. (ZL + A)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Onean posted:

I'm, like, 80% sure they act like Fusing a spike wall to your shield, in that it increases the damage of smacking an enemy in the face with your shield. (ZL + A)

Good to know. I've fused swords on shields a couple times and it always seemed not too impressive damage wise. But at least we have rocket shield.

I love bouncy shields and weapons, that rules. Hitman 2 Silent Assassin eat your heart out, enemies going flying is always funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

And I'm hording the hell out of my capsules. I'll use them in the last 4 hours of the game.

Stop this nonsense at once. They're an infinite resource and you should use them whenever seems fun or want to screw around. I have almost 99 of some of these things and even the most used ones I have more than plenty of.

Pop Zonai charges into gumball machines and the things just flood out of the machine. 5 large ones in at once and so many come out that it gets back up into the machine a little bit.

They're also not like something you get a bunch of use out by stockpiling. Can only fuse so many parts together and can only have so many things out at once.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Khanstant posted:

Stop this nonsense at once.

I'm open to being sold on it. But you can use monster parts in elixers or sell them for cash. Why use a horn for plus 8 damage or whatever when I have a zillion comparable weapons lying on the ground for parts?

Maybe once in a while for variety, but enemies drop horn weapons too anyway. I'm saying it in a lighthearted way, but the game really doesn't give me a reason to spend my horns on a sword thus far. I do stuff for fun like a bouncy mushroom weapon etc from time to time though.

And for sure I've been buying lots of capsules, but it's just funny that I may not use them for 100 hours. I figure why use them if I don't need to, and game DNA teaches us to keep our stuff since we don't know what's around the corner. Granted, it is a bit silly, but I guess not using these items much (yet) also adds a little bit of custom difficulty challenge or something. I'll try to treat myself to using one or two here and there.

By the way, a grappling hook would be something. I could see that coming back into the mix at some point. Ascend and the tools here are a lot of fun and creative though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 19, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

mcmagic posted:

The horses kinda suck. They control badly and their range for how far away you can call them is very small

My horse was wearing the ancient horse gear, that should have carried over! :argh:

...Can that be reacquired?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Went to investigate that cave near Hestu's first location (seriously wtf placement, I hate it) and came across a murderpuddle.

Since there was a ledge I climbed up and invested a lot of time, arrows, 4 bows, and some bombs into killing it, thinking there'd be a sick drop.

Welp.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there any way to track down people for the Hateno Village election quest? I'm missing two and can't find anyone else.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Would I be crazy for mostly dismissing the ghost things? I don’t like seeing them around all the time.

Also, what is the big deal about the wind sage power? It seems much worse than Ravali’s gale in basically every way.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In between the Skyview Towers, sky islands, climbing improvements, rockets and hot-air balloons (plus probably a few more I’m forgetting), vertical air distance is a lot easier to gain than in BOTW.

Horizontal air distance, on the other hand, is a lot harder to obtain without building some sort of contraption. That’s where the wind power comes in, it lets you move much further when gliding allowing you to reach the more distant sky islands with much less hassle.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heavy Metal posted:

Another tidbit, the game keeps suggesting I put monster horns on a weapon. But I never do that, since I can hord those, but I can't hord all the weapons lying around. So I mainly only use horn weapons when they're stopped by enemies. Hordingrule.
Fun fact most weapons cap at at around 12 attack while higher end monster horns start with 25 or so and get higher from there.

Fuse horns to your weapons. Keep some utility fuses but if you want to actually do damage you will Fuse horns

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you really want to go full hoarder, there’s a Goron in Tarrey Town that will unfuse weapons and shields for you, giving you back the two items you used. It won’t restore durability to weapons, but monster parts don’t appear to have durability. So you can just keep fusing that one high-level drop you got early on to your best weapon over and over again, unfusing it whenever the weapon gets low on durability.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Ogmius815 posted:

Would I be crazy for mostly dismissing the ghost things? I don’t like seeing them around all the time.

Also, what is the big deal about the wind sage power? It seems much worse than Ravali’s gale in basically every way.

Personally I'd recommend keeping out Tulin (see below) and one of either Riju or Yunobo to break rocks in caves.

Revali's Gale was great for getting some height to start paragliding in BotW, but in comparison to the tools TotK gives you it's pretty sub-par and easily replicated with a rocket shield or Hylian pine cone in those situations it would have been best to use. Meanwhile, in TotK you can get way higher with the sky islands, towers, Recall or Zonai part shenanigans. Revali's Gale would honestly be a tiny, basically useless, contribution on top of those.

The Wind power in TotK, however, gives you an easily underestimated, and repeatable, amount of horizontal movement which lets you get some impressive distance from that greater height. You're way more limited in how far you can get by your stamina now, rather than how high you can get. (Not taking into account Zonai contraptions. Factoring in those you're more limited by energy or the timer on wings, but even then the Wind power can do some work after those have run out.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Inadequately posted:

If you really want to go full hoarder, there’s a Goron in Tarrey Town that will unfuse weapons and shields for you, giving you back the two items you used. It won’t restore durability to weapons, but monster parts don’t appear to have durability. So you can just keep fusing that one high-level drop you got early on to your best weapon over and over again, unfusing it whenever the weapon gets low on durability.

You can drop a weapon by a Rock Octoroc to get it repaired. Once per octoroc (per blood moon), same principle as cleaning rusty gear in BOTW (And maybe they still clean rusty stuff too?).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I've been focusing on opening sky towers and finding memories and I'm delighted that the first one I found featuring Big G in person is the one with Gerudo battle woodwinds and war moldugas and Rauru demonstrating that when he said Power of Light he meant MOTHERFUCKING LASER CANNON BITCHES.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can't believe I did it, but I beat Phantom Ganon (on the second try), and then I find out that that's not the final boss fight?! :tizzy:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly beating Phantom Ganon is not that hard and really worth it cause he always drops a 40+ katana with a gloom demerit that's not too bad. I killed the fire boss in like 6 hits with + a 20+ monster part. Best DPS I've found. Also a bow that scales with max health so after completing all the shrines it'll be the best single shot bow I think.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Restarted the game since I was getting some wonkiness (characters not loading) and the game had an update to download. Any word what it was for?

Edit: speaking of characters, I lost track of my gazette buddy. Lady is saying he should be at dueling peaks stable but I go there and he’s nowhere to be seen.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 19, 2023

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Restarted the game since I was getting some wonkiness (characters not loading) and the game had an update to download. Any word what it was for?

Edit: speaking of characters, I lost track of my gazette buddy. Lady is saying he should be at dueling peaks stable but I go there and he’s nowhere to be seen.

At Dueling Peaks, remember that he’s a bird.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

I'm the same, I wish I could dismiss them but still have access to their power. The one I've got at least is pretty useful in a fight but I'm having the same issues I had in Elden Ring where just enough of the time they make the enemies behave unpredictably which gets on my nerves because by the time I got it I didn't actually need help in most fights anymore. You can activate them while in the air so I just keep it off and turn it on as needed. I also keep thinking it's an enemy sneaking up on me lol

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm open to being sold on it. But you can use monster parts in elixers or sell them for cash. Why use a horn for plus 8 damage or whatever when I have a zillion comparable weapons lying on the ground for parts?

Maybe once in a while for variety, but enemies drop horn weapons too anyway. I'm saying it in a lighthearted way, but the game really doesn't give me a reason to spend my horns on a sword thus far. I do stuff for fun like a bouncy mushroom weapon etc from time to time though.

And for sure I've been buying lots of capsules, but it's just funny that I may not use them for 100 hours. I figure why use them if I don't need to, and game DNA teaches us to keep our stuff since we don't know what's around the corner. Granted, it is a bit silly, but I guess not using these items much (yet) also adds a little bit of custom difficulty challenge or something. I'll try to treat myself to using one or two here and there.

By the way, a grappling hook would be something. I could see that coming back into the mix at some point. Ascend and the tools here are a lot of fun and creative though.

It's just like any other resource now, if you're getting a lot use them freely and if it's high damage and rare be more selective. My bread and butter weapon this playthrough has been just sticking a construct horn on whatever polearm I find laying around because as a weapon it is rock solid because even small damage boosts are big when you attack 155 times per second at incredible range, and also I get loads of horns so if I've got to toss it I'm not going to sweat it. Horns add so much damage and drop from drat near everything that it definitely feels like fusing is their primary purpose.

Killing any constructs you see also has the side effect of having lots of charges to turn into zonai devices. Killing the hoarder in my brain was hard work but it's been very rewarding since 99% of the time it's faster to just get more of X resource in the off-chance you run out than it is to not use it when you need it, especially since you can save scum so it's not like a Souls thing where you can just lose it and still need to do the fight.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 19, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pirate Radar posted:

At Dueling Peaks, remember that he’s a bird.

Oh come on!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pirate Radar posted:

I just realized I can’t remember if I actually picked up the heart container after doing the water temple boss. If I forgot, where would it go?

Update: found somebody on Reddit saying they forgot a heart and it was sitting in the dungeon when they went back, so the fact that there isn’t one waiting for me in the water temple boss arena means I must have picked it up after all and just not remembered.

I take it you found him then!

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
My issue with the abilities is that everyone runs towards you or away from you at the most inconvenient times. I've died to Bomb Flowers exploding in my face because I was mashing A to collect them and Yunobo just happened to walk next to me. I've also died because of (massive post-Phenomena spoiler, have finished Faron location) Mineru getting in the way during combat, and by the time I've dismounted a silver-tier enemy has already caught up to me and shanked me. And on the opposite end of the scale Riju always seems to favor close combat when I need her to hang out with me at long range so I can snipe foes. And I know I can just disable them at will but they're really valuable for managing combat just from automatic attacks and drawing some aggro away.

I saw a loading tip that says whistling is supposed to gather all your summons near you but I haven't seen it work at all, or if it does then it makes no noticeable difference if the situation's too chaotic.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 19, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I deactivate the abilities until I need them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ascend saved my panicking rear end during a depths coliseum 1 Vs 4 fight. Muddle bud then turned it into a cakewalk. Everything is scary until you figure out your tools.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I found a cool cave down in the south area, around Faron, where you have to build a death car that you slowly trick out as you go through the cave and pick up more and more parts from bokoblin encampments but annoyingly the only reward (as far as I could find) was a large zonaite charge. Did I miss a hidden set of clothes or something? Because if that zonaite charge is the only reward, it seems really easy to end up spending more than you gained, if you found that place and got the urge to go all-out with your extra parts.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Argue posted:

I found a cool cave down in the south area, around Faron, where you have to build a death car that you slowly trick out as you go through the cave and pick up more and more parts from bokoblin encampments but annoyingly the only reward (as far as I could find) was a large zonaite charge. Did I miss a hidden set of clothes or something? Because if that zonaite charge is the only reward, it seems really easy to end up spending more than you gained, if you found that place and got the urge to go all-out with your extra parts.

Does the cave emblem on your map have a check mark on it?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Any good spots for warm Safflinas? I want to upgrade my cold resist set.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FrickenMoron posted:

Areas with warm weather

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Satori Mountain still seems to be the place to go for plants. There's a few there.

There's also a quest at Wetland Stable that takes you somewhere with a few.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Areas with warm weather

I scoured the entire eastern area of gerudo desert and couldn't find any, so I wasn't sure. I'll check some other places mentioned.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

FrickenMoron posted:

I scoured the entire eastern area of gerudo desert and couldn't find any, so I wasn't sure. I'll check some other places mentioned.

What other places have very warm weather?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok it’s that time. Is there a reliable way of tracking / getting to the dragons? I need parts.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, what do I need to do to get the story moving? Since the cutscenes at the beginning, I have made literally no progress in like 20 hours. I've seen one more cutscene where Zelda shows up in the past and meets Rauru but otherwise I still don't know why she's appearing and disappearing, or who Spooky Dave is, or what's his deal, or the deal with the spooky fog, or all the stuff rising into the air. I've only done one of the dungeons so far (Rito) but the issue with the blizzard seemed like just another random happening caused by Spooky Dave doing... whatever the hell he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Silly question about mechanics / lore implications. I was talking to a random NPC just as a dragon was flying by and doing the dragon wind stuff, and the NPC's dialogue was all about how sometimes they can feel a strange wind blowing around and they wondered what it could be. While the dragon was 50 yards away from us.

Do people suppose this just the NPC not having a program to react to dragons (likely) or can most common people just not see dragons (similar to koroks).