Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

haveblue posted:

Needs a way to shove a Gunbuster in there somewhere
can't do the pose, arms too fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have never heard of the Gainax pose in my entire life

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This morning I finished the story campaign for Age of Wonders 4! Paradox games are kind of notorious for starting with a shell of an idea and shaking you down for DLC to get the full experience, but this is already an all-timer 4X, right up there with HoMM 3/5 for me. Looking forward to playing more of the scenario realms and seeing the game develop through all the expansions.

So far in 2023 I have played:

Citizen Sleeper
Vampire Survivors
Batora: Lost Haven
Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider
Hi-Fi Rush
Wanted: Dead
Chop Goblins
Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores (DLC)
Valkyrie Elysium
Age of Wonders 4

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OoT!
Here’s an xxtra hot take: the water temple has no redeeming qualities but also wasn’t a death march. 3/10, for diehard water temple fans only

Current rankings:
Dodongo’s cave of wonders
Fire temple
Deku tree
—everything below is “kinda bad tbh”—
Fish belly
Forest temple
Water temple

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think that's fair, though I genuinely like the Forest Temple.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just beat Resident Evil 2 Remake. Gonna play the Street Fighter 6 beta, and then DMCV to get ready for Final Fantasy 16. After that I'll get around to RE4R, and by then SF6 will be out...

I am in my Capcom Era

so are you team Leon or part of the Claire squad

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The water temple is much more tolerable in the 3DS version where you can bind the iron boots to the hotbar instead of having to constantly open the menu

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Firmament needs some more time in the oven :sigh:. There's several game breaking bugs and it runs real bad. A lot of QoL problems in the VR version as well.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

When I first played oot when I was like 6 I thought the fish belly dungeon was so ugly I never got past it. I much preferred running around the field.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The master quest version with the weird cow targets was best

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I got in trouble as a kid because when oot was new my brother was young enough to have a lot of trouble with the puzzles. he kept using my save so he could ride around Hyrule field on epona and I kept chasing him off of it because he 'hadn't earned it'

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Jabu Jabu's Belly. One of my least favourite dungeons in the game, but somehow has my 3rd favourite boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It was cool playing Oracle of Ages before OOT and realizing Jabu-Jabu’s Belly was a reused dungeon from the latter that was massively expanded on for a game boy color game.

Speaking of the Oracle games, I remembered liking Ages more for the puzzles as a kid, but I definitely prefer Seasons now since it does it’s “thing” (combat/more action focused puzzle stuff) better than Ages did it’s, at least wrt dungeons.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

both are great and are kind of lost gems

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They're gonna bring the oracle games to switch, soonish :)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
"Fantastic Voyage" dungeons are the worst:

-Jabu Jabu
-the big sky-whale in Devil May Cry 3
-womb maps in Binding of Isaac
-Ape Escape's big dinosaur

that's about it I think

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Vermain posted:

you can play every game fine on KB+M and should. the controller is a symbol of sloth and indolence

Mods, please rename me “a symbol of sloth and indolence”

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

ChickenHeart posted:

-Jabu Jabu

that's about it I think

Monstro in Kingdom Hearts. Terrible level.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the entirety of abadox

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish they'd bring Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD to Switch, as loathe as I am to admit it I would buy them again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Being broke sure did help convinced me to give emulation a crack.
TotK almost working perfectly now, and looking better than it does on the Switch.

So I'd just straight up grab an emulator for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

But yeah I'm also the sorta schmuck that'd buy those again due to how big a Zelda fan I am.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFI0qJBtnk4

W-WHAT

FREE WONDERFUL 101 DLC SHADOW DROPPED!!!!

May 8, 2006

can't complain about more content for platinum's best game

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

One of the weird things about the DS was that there were minigames involving the microphone by blowing on it to cool something off, blow up a piece of bubblegum, or blow out birthday candles. I think it works in an emulator with a phone's microphone, but I'm not doing that in public.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 19, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the secret was it was just volume, you could do anything that made noise, including just tapping on the microphone. I think the emulators let you bind a button to just simulate making a noise also

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ChickenHeart posted:

-Jabu Jabu

that's about it I think

Tanzer in SaGa Frontier

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ChickenHeart posted:

-Jabu Jabu

that's about it I think

A GIANT WORM

THEY'RE SINKING CITIES WITH A GIANT WORM

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

both are great and are kind of lost gems

Yeah, they’re more linear than LA but still cool mid-upper tier Zeldas imho. Playing Ages kinda had the effect of making Ocarina of Time more underwhelming though, since you kinda assume you’re gonna be doing cool Oracle of Ages time stuff like the mermaid dungeon that you engage with in both eras or rewriting history to get into the next dungeon going in blind, but alas.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only time manipulation “puzzles” in OoT so far are: planting magic beans to later sprout moving platforms; and the song of storms closed time loop

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OoT is no Blinx the Time Cat

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s a dungeon that does it later, it’s memorable since (posting for the old heads)having Kid Link fight adult Link enemies with his stubby baby sword and either a crappy wooden shield or the Hylian Shield that’s oversized for him is kinda neat, at least as I remember it.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ChickenHeart posted:

-Jabu Jabu

that's about it I think

Breath of Fire 2 😬

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ChickenHeart posted:

-Jabu Jabu

that's about it I think

the Pinocchio dungeon in Kingdom Hearts

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The teleporter effect in Doom 3 that looks exactly like you take a brief trip up Satan's rear end in a top hat

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

haveblue posted:

The teleporter effect in Doom 3 that looks exactly like you take a brief trip up Satan's rear end in a top hat

How well does Doom 3 hold up these days?
Haven't thought about it in a long time.

Remember it being pretty great, outside of the Space Closets factor, and was cashing in on Dead Space vibes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Doom 3 came out WAY before dead space I'm pretty sure

I watched a playthrough of it fairly recently (or I had it on in the background) and it was pretty samey for a lot of it, lots of spaceship corridors.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They were both ripoffs of the iconic 2000 survival horror "Carrier" for Sega Dreamcast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At least 3 years, yeah 4 years, 2004-2008, so it was working with an earlier generation of graphics tech and still looked like a million bucks

It probably holds up even worse than before now that Doom 2016 and Eternal are out there, but it's a pretty effective horror game once you let go of the idea that it's supposed to be Doom. It does rely too much on monster closet jump scares and on listening to a guy ramble on until he recites the code for the door though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doom 3 is mostly okay but it has one of the worst shotguns in all of gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doom 3 is the only game I ever got a virus from download sharing. Folder had two files, one with a real crack to extract, and this obviously trojan virus file that was like FreeRAMDownload.jpg.virus.exe.kind of obvious. I laughed at it for being so obvious and pat myself for knowing better to fall for it. And then when I went to double click the real one to open, I nisclicked the fakey virus and infected my machine and had to go through all the malware steps to purge.

The. I finally played the game later that night and I did not like it at all and uninstalled and was so let down I went to online and posted that the game sucked.