Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The part that confused me was that I thought the whole point of that kind of league would be to not invite the Richmond-level teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

smackfu posted:

The part that confused me was that I thought the whole point of that kind of league would be to not invite the Richmond-level teams.

yeah it was supposed to pretty much just be the teams from all the top european leagues that make or fight for champions league spots every season. richmond are on the rise but no way they would be in the running for a spot in the super league irl.

the thing that makes it just seem a bit tacked on is that afaik the super league idea hasn't been talked about much for at least a couple of years. and last time it was the fans of the clubs went mental and the clubs were like "welp nah we're not interested right now."

i don't follow the footy news super closely these days so i could be wrong, just feels like they're a couple years late to that storyline.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smackfu posted:

I got the impression she was there because Rupert specifically asked and invited her to score points in his petty game. And Akufo agreed for... Reasons. Most likely tokenism as it sounds like she's the only female owner.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
it was only 2 years ago, and aren't the spanish clubs still trying to sue the others for saying they would participate then not?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Oh, forgot to say that Sam Richardson is the loving man and is great in everything he ever does, including this episode.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, the big hub-bud with the Super League was 2 years ago. I had to look it up because I couldn’t recall all the details, and apparently it is still being kicked about in some capacity, so it ain’t dead and buried yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Super_League?wprov=sfti1

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It will never die as long as you have billionaire owned teams missing out on champions league football because they had a lovely season.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I watched this episode over two nights because a full hour of this gooey mess is just too much. Why is this show so in love with Keeley? Where's Ted in his own show? How on earth do you feature a food fight in your show and only actually show the aftermath? Bizarre.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This was the first episode that I personally felt was just noticeably dragging to the point of “let’s get on with it.” It’s been dragging for sure the entire season but there was some sort of breaking point for me this week. God what a mess of a season.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Adrianics posted:

The cynic in me is convinced that the huge rewrites weren't about Sudeikis suddenly wanting entire storylines and character arcs to be overhauled, but Apple demanding material that sets up the Keeley spin-off and a potential fourth season without Ted himself.

I would watch a show centered around almost any other character in this show before I watched one about keeley. I don't dislike her character but I'm not interested in a show about her.

Roy show
Beard show
Kit man show
Nate show
Leslie show
Most of the players show

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
dragging, but also racing to the finish, in weird ways. this episode was 67 minutes long and big events happen between the editing cuts.

I think they could have cut Zava and Jack out entirely, still accomplished their narrative goals wrt Jamie becoming a leader and Keeley... still not sure what the narrative purpose of the Jack storyline is?, and spent more time on giving more context to Nate & his dad (which is instead resolved in like 8 minutes with his dad saying, "bbbut you were a genius all along, I didn't know how to handle that, okthxbye"), more context to Roy's hangups, more time for Ted and his kid, the whole psychic storyline seems to have disappeared? etc.

This last episode made me think about the whole "show, don't tell" principle in storytelling, with this season being so packed with characters and storylines, they have to just do a lot of "telling", like they don't show Roy struggling with his relationship with Keeley, the writers just have them tell Phoebe it didn't work out in a short scene at the beginning of the season; they don't show much dynamic to Nate & his dad's relationship, they just have his dad tell him "I loved you all along, I didn't know how to support you", etc.

I worry there's going to be more "one character telling another character about some major plot development" in the last two episodes, just because they don't have much time left to show the development more naturally.

Will we even see the West Ham @ Richmond match, or anything more than "it happened off screen while something else was going on"?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Resdfru posted:

I would watch a show centered around almost any other character in this show before I watched one about keeley. I don't dislike her character but I'm not interested in a show about her.

Roy show
Beard show
Kit man show
Nate show
Leslie show
Most of the players show

I would love a full series of Beard after hours even though I don't think it could sustain itself.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Scott Forstall posted:

Will we even see the West Ham @ Richmond match, or anything more than "it happened off screen while something else was going on"?

Guessing it happens like this:

Episode 11: City @ Richmond
Episode 12: West Ham @ Richmond

and one of those determines the championship for one of those three clubs and i will hate it so much if Richmond is suddenly contending for the title

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The whole season felt built around the West Ham rematch, but now it doesn’t even matter as Nate is gone and Rebecca and Rupert are all chummy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Resdfru posted:

Roy show
Beard show
Kit man show
Nate show
Leslie show
Most of the players show

I like Keeley fine but she works best when interacting with the other characters in the show, just like most of the above list. Like I for sure wouldn't tune into a show where Nate hosed off somewhere else to coach soccer, what I liked about the character was how he was elevated by Ted and how his character evolved through that lens. The one person on the above list I would maybe follow a completely solo show about is Roy, and that's on the strength and charisma of the actor.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It feels (perhaps understandably, given the overlap) like the show has veered into the same narrative lane as Lawrence and Goldstein's Shrinking.

Instead of being a show about a team, it's become a show about the individual problems of a loose group of adult friends who mostly know each other from work.

And so we get a lot of baggy, sentimental individual storylines followed by the characters bumping into each other, having a hug, and reporting back on how they've learnt and grown in the past 50 minutes and how proud they are of each other.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ugh this show is just... loving weird at times. I genuinely enjoyed parts of this episode - Uncle's Day was cute and funny, the shirt gift was totally on brand with what Roy would want and has an actual football joke in there as well (whether intentional or not - there's a semi-famous German footballer named Kuntz who features in the Three Lions video), Keeley's moment with her assistant who's name I keep forgetting - but it's just wrapped up in such weirdly paced storylines that are so wildly unrealistic it makes me have complete whiplash.

Sam is just... never going to be allowed to play for his national team because some rich rear end in a top hat from next do is bribing his football association?

The Super League stuff is so loving heavy handed and obviously pandering to people who know what happened 2/3 years ago. There's no way Richmond - who I believe in universe has never won a trophy? - would be anywhere near it. It seemed a plot solely to get Rupert to seem more human instead of the cackling evil guy, which is what the entire rest of the show is.

I can buy Danny going mental when he plays for his national team, but what was the point of it? He's a nice guy. Let him be a nice guy. They could have just cut that out and nobody would lose out.

It's no longer about the football team, really, which I guess is fine. It was always as much about the characters as it was what the team was up to, but like others have said in earlier seasons their storylines were intertwined with the team's performances on the pitch. They've relegated so much of that to off-screen (or worse, we see West Ham instead of Richmond) now it's just weird.

And finally, Nate still sucks. Oh no he was fired/resigned. He's going to have a redemption and it's so undeserving for the worst character on the show.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Why is this show so in love with Keeley?

She got nominated for an emmy two years in a row.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Episode 12 ends with Ted giving a speech to the players before they play West Ham and it them getting ready to walk on the field.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Rebecca and Rupert are all chummy.

Rebecca just rebuffed Rupert's advances - I highly doubt they're going to be "chummy" going forward.

Episode was worth it just for the return of Phoebe and her scene with Roy and Jaime. I also enjoyed pyscho Dani and Roy wearing the hated shirt because of his love for Phoebe.

I read one take on the Super League scene that said Rebecca didn't need to convince the entire room she just needed to convince Rupert to say No and the others would follow. That makes some sense to me.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

George H.W. oval office posted:

This was the first episode that I personally felt was just noticeably dragging to the point of “let’s get on with it.” It’s been dragging for sure the entire season but there was some sort of breaking point for me this week. God what a mess of a season.

This sums it up for me as well. This whole season has been a trainwreck, but a somewhat entertaining one. This whole episode just felt like a bunch of nothing (other than the finale of the season-long backdoor pilot to the KJPR spin-off).

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

bobjr posted:

Episode 12 ends with Ted giving a speech to the players before they play West Ham and it them getting ready to walk on the field.

Oh... this is what they're gonna do isn't it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Resdfru posted:

Oh... this is what they're gonna do isn't it

either that or they're going to have ted walk away right before the season-determining game in a call-back to the very beginning of the show where ted's stated interest is only making the players better people, and having done that, he fucks off to do something else

e: to borrow from another sports sitcom, you thought he was an arrivalist, he's gonna be a leaver

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 19, 2023

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Series ends with him slapping a new “Believe” sign above the door of a professional Norwegian hockey team he’s decided to coach.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trying to adopt local Norwegian slang while bringing his own aw-shucks Iowa-bred earnestness leavened with 2023 social commentary

gelatinizing his own lutefisk

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ted gonna coach the Jets. The show is actually a tragedy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ted flies home and his plane crashes over the ocean. No survivors.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

crossover, he heads up to the NOSHO

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In a twist Roy leaves America to get hired by the Detroit Lions

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Settle down.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I have never been more bewildered by this show than when they started to feed us a palatable/positive twist on Rupert, as part of a resolution of one of the plotlines too!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

I have never been more bewildered by this show than when they started to feed us a palatable/positive twist on Rupert, as part of a resolution of one of the plotlines too!

It could have been worse. When rebecca confronted him about cheating, he could have said "Oh, actually we have an open marriage so she's cool with me loving around as long as I give her a comfortable life."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

George H.W. oval office posted:

Ted gonna coach the Jets. The show is actually a tragedy.

They have Rodgers now, The team will get near the playoffs before A.A.Ron sends a dick pic to a female Jets staff member

Then it's the weirdest rerun in NFL history

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

bobjr posted:

I do wonder if Nate's leaving was changed last second because they talk about how he was fired and it was somewhat expected, only for him to later mention he quit, despite the team doing well and only having a recent loss that looked bad on him.

It being entirely offscreen is just weird see how much focus he was getting.

I've been going over this in my head and god drat you are so right; him being fired after some slight against Rupert, or a single bad result, or he stood up for himself in some way etc makes his subsequent depression and his father being concerned for him, and the Rupert line about "some people aren't ready for their big moment" make so much more sense.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Adrianics posted:

I've been going over this in my head and god drat you are so right; him being fired after some slight against Rupert, or a single bad result, or he stood up for himself in some way etc makes his subsequent depression and his father being concerned for him, and the Rupert line about "some people aren't ready for their big moment" make so much more sense.
Not to defend the garbage show but he literally did that in the previous episode. He shunned Rupert's invite at the bar.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Not to defend the garbage show but he literally did that in the previous episode. He shunned Rupert's invite at the bar.

If that's genuinely why he got fired/quit, the show needs to make that explicit. As it stands, he resigned for unclear reasons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like some of the ambiguity is deliberate at the moment. Maybe it'll come out in the finale.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
It definitely is deliberate ambiguity, the problem is just that the storytelling hasn't established any grounds for tension or curiosity about what might have happened.

We last saw Nate rejecting Rupert's womanising and getting a death-glare in response, after multiple scenes making it clear that his job performance isn't in question.

We've since seen that Nate is still with Jade and that she supports his decision, so it's not going to turn out that she slept with Rupert.

The show might flashback to give us a climactic argument between Rupert and Nate about Rupert's womanising (or show that Rupert specifically tried to sleep with Jade or that Nate caught Rupert with his secretary who then had to quit) but the viewer hasn't been given any reason to doubt who's in the right and who's in the wrong or what it's basically all about.

All we're left with is 'exactly how much of a cad is Rupert?' which I don't think many audience members are really on tenterhooks to find out.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 21, 2023

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It will never die as long as you have billionaire owned teams missing out on champions league football because they had a lovely season.

https://twitter.com/upshottowers/status/1659514465249796097?s=46&t=CTlNq7gAiEzuvZM2yuJXpw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

grobbo posted:

It definitely is deliberate ambiguity, the problem is just that the storytelling hasn't established any grounds for tension or curiosity about what might have happened.

We last saw Nate rejecting Rupert's womanising and getting a death-glare in response, after multiple scenes making it clear that his job performance isn't in question.

We've since seen that Nate is still with Jade and that she supports his decision, so it's not going to turn out that she slept with Rupert.

The show might flashback to give us a climactic argument between Rupert and Nate about Rupert's womanising (or show that Rupert specifically tried to sleep with Jade or that Nate caught Rupert with his secretary who then had to quit) but the viewer hasn't been given any reason to doubt who's in the right and who's in the wrong or what it's basically all about.

All we're left with is 'exactly how much of a cad is Rupert?' which I don't think many audience members are really on tenterhooks to find out.

This perfectly sums up what I was trying to get at, thank you!

If Nate caught Rupert in some kind of compromising position, called him out on it and got a "don't you dare try to gently caress with me, I'll give you two choices: Resign, or I'll fire you and ensure you never work in football ever again", it would make his depression make a hell of a lot more sense... But then wouldn't make sense with the "do you regret resigning" conversation with Jade, so who knows. I have a lot less faith that they'll resolve this, tbh.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 22, 2023