Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Some people have to care a certain amount for the show to work. If it was five Jo Brands every season I think a lot of the comedic tension would be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think it's that so much as:- Mae always feels a bit like they have their guard up, and Taskmaster contestants work best when they let that down and let you glimpse the little fragment of insanity everyone's hiding underneath?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more that the other "competent" or "competitive" people in the past managed to be funnier. I liked Dara O'Briain a lot, for example.

e: Although, having watched the last episode, I gotta admit Bosco was pretty great.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 19, 2023

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I think past seasons have worked with a better split of creative tasks and objective tasks, where "competency" is less of a factor. If feels like there's been less judging by Gregg this season (and last season) so boring competence at actually doing stuff is taking up more screen time. Less arts and crafts tasks more "do this thing most/quickest/longest" tasks.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I mean I do enjoy Mae’s casual reaction to anything that is thrown at them. Like telling Alex they’ve tried balancing things on jelly before. They do help provide a contrast to the high, manic energy of contestants like Ivo and Kiell. The hatred for being a bit boring is wild.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's that I'm watching the show wondering who is going to win and how.

Frankie fishes 1 out of the water because he did it terribly, Kiell did it slightly better for 2. Then they see the extra pineapples and they both missed it and ooh I wonder if the others see it. Ivo sees them and gets those plus an extra couple from fishing. Jenny fishes 4 out of the water. Oh a wonder if Mae will spot the pineapples! Will they do better than Ivo? Just better than Jenny? Or is this some hilarious failure? Oh, it's just the series front-runner drawing 13 pineapples on a piece of paper to automatically beat everyone else for the most anti-climactic result possible. Awesome. It wasn't super crafty, or require skill, or luck. It's not funny and it's not making the contest more interesting by boosting a lower contestant. It just robs the show of part of its fun. I was genuinely excited to see how the task would play out and felt instantly deflated when Mae drew those pineapples.

It gave good banter but the series just has good banter anyway and we already had is this win legit debates this season.

I still like the episode and the season but it's lost an aspect of the show that typically adds to the fun. The tasks feel generally flatter this season and I think Mae is either part of the cause or a symptom of that.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 19, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I thought drawing the pineapples was funny. You couldn't even be sure whether they'd get points for that because of Greg, but I found the banter surrounding it worth the effort. Also completely expected them to get all the other pineapples and just be Very Good at the task and fortunately that didn't happen.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
you still have to think of it at the time and it's not a given that it'll come to your mind

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

The fact that it pisses people off is exactly the reason Greg give it the points...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While the drums should not have been allowed (they were making continuous wrist and hand motions through the entire thing, therefore there were multiple throws occurring), the drawn pineapples were fine imo.

edit: also the thread being mad at someone for being good at the game is dumb

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's not the being good part, plenty of good at TM contestants were fun to watch

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Are people really, genuinely angry at Mae?
They are too nice to dislike; but still just relaxed a little more they could be a perfect example of a competent yet entertaining contestant. Dara was great example of that, for me.

RickRogers fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 19, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm not angry, I'm just bored

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

vanity slug posted:

I'm not angry, I'm just bored

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RickRogers posted:

Are people really, genuinely angry at Mae?
They are too nice to dislike; but still just relaxed a little more they could be a perfect example of a competent yet entertaining contestant. Dara was great example of that, for me.

Nah, Mae seems impossible to hate as a person, I just don't enjoy their play here. Like seeing an actor you like in a movie where they just don't seem to fit.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

vanity slug posted:

Maybe there should be a 'serious' Taskmaster for very serious people to genuinely compete in the tasks. Mae would do well there.

It's called Champion of Champions, and Mae is a lock for it...

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Heavy_D posted:

It's called Champion of Champions, and Mae is a lock for it...

Yes Champion of Champions, where Bob Mortimer famously tried seriously.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Frankie Boyle going full philosophical after the pineapple task had me howling.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
CoC III is looking like Sarah Kendal, Morgana Robinson, Sophie Duker, Dara Ó Briain and Mae. I think it of that lot I'll be rooting for Morgana as the best source of a bit of chaos.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 19, 2023

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

CoC III is looking like Sarah Kendal, Morgana Robinson, Sophie Duker, Dara Ó Briain and Mae. I think it of that lot I'll be rooting for Morgana as the best source of a bit of chaos.

I didn't see S10 yet but I'm really looking forward to Morgana and Sophie again.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Sorry, was that a spoiler?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
you should definitely see the series with Sarah Kendall because it also has Mike Wozniak in it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Imagine the team tasks :allears: and M. is easily top 5 all time contestants for me, can't wait

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Imagine the team tasks :allears: and M. is easily top 5 all time contestants for me, can't wait
I think I'd do 1+2 and 3+4+5.

Edit: no, 1+2+5, 3+4.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 19, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Banter is better this season then just about any other.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Champion of Champions 3 is going to be awesome. Morgana and Sophie are two of my favorite contestants, and either one of them paired with Dara for Team tasks would be gold.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That's kind of how Mae is in the stuff I've seen. In that show about last one to laugh with all the Canadian comics they were almost the same demeanor throughout.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's an episode I'd happily show to people as an example of what this Taskmaster thing is all about.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Banter is better this season then just about any other.

It really is. Between them the contestants have nailed the sweet spot in the right amount of hostility toward each other to be funny without bringing the mood down. And all of them have their own approaches to that, with Mae trying to justify all their tryhard schemes, Frankie pushing it to insane leaps of logic, and Kiell getting outraged when it works for either of them. Ivo wilting under everything Greg says and Jenny off in her own little world half the time. They're a brilliant set for the banter.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Jenny Eclair is, and I say this with the utmost respect and admiration, a dizzy old bat, and the world needs more of her.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm in the same boat where I like Mae but most of their solutions just aren't all that entertaining. They come across like a fan of the show who knows how it works and is doing all the things that people say they'd do when they're playing along at home.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if Kiell will pull through. He’s in with a chance, and I’d love to see it especially after Greg drubbed him so harshly in the first half of the season.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dunno, 15 point difference in two episodes, plus being on the same team as the current leader...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Had a galaxy brain moment rewatching the jelly task; there was enough clearance that you could slice the top of the jelly off without disturbing the duck. You could then put whatever you want on top of the slice, and then get into an argument in the studio about the definition of 'the'.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not bad, though a thin slice of jelly probably breaks easier. My mind immediately went to freezing it. Then the time limit came in but now that I think about it, maybe you could have tried it with a fire extinguisher.

Timing it so you set down something heavy right at the mark is probably still the cleverest way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I agree with the Mae stuff. I find them likeable and funny in a low key way, but I've started to zone out during their attempts. I started to think about Joe Thomas' rant about putting a bit of effort in.

To that end, I think the tasks are weak this year. Conceptually they're not that interesting and don't lend themselves to variety all that much. It's been a testament to the cast how funny the show has been despite all that. But if I did another rewatch I think I'd skip this one entirely.

Oh and Alex screwed Ivo on that jelly task. You could easily argue you were within the spirit of the task, but Alex continued insinuating he was doing it wrong.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

Oh and Alex screwed Ivo on that jelly task. You could easily argue you were within the spirit of the task, but Alex continued insinuating he was doing it wrong.

See I liked that because it fits in great with Ivo's persona. Alex just psyched him right out of what is a totally valid solution - the bricks were on the jelly, they were just also on other bricks, and nothing in the task said the jelly had to support the weight by itself.

But Ivo folds easily under pressure so he gave up on the winning strategy and lost, it was great.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
To misquote Rhod Gilbert: it didn't say anything about being exclusively on the jelly.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Eh, while Mae doesn't really shine in the studio banter they are a fantastic foil to Kiell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah Ivo definitely had the right idea, his stuff was on the jelly in a way that Jenny's stuff wasn't.

Also, thinking more on the pineapple task it said "pile the pineapples on the path". "The" can be quite contentious in terms of which x constitute 'the x', like the jelly solution neongrey mentioned above, but "the pineapples" would have to exist in some form at the beginning. So those drawn pineapples shouldn't count IMO. (reminder to people who like to interpret this kind of convo differently, I just find this kind of thinking/discussion fun)