Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

America has joined the theatre

Nice try but I can clearly see the Z. Those war criminals are Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

its crazy going into the town centre these days and seeing piZZa hut

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

its crazy going into the town centre these days and seeing piZZa hut

The real reason Gorbachev died; cringed into the grave.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

kecske posted:

"...and then my family made me dance like a russian circus bear for the amusement of the public, before monetising every scrap of goodwill they could."
~fin~

Tbf it they made the movie a really harrowing piece about his rapacious exploitative family, that would be pretty funny.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nick Hornby is the definition of the Garth Marenghi "I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards"

I'm mulling over the subtext of Matt Berry's penis turning into broccoli to this day.

Jeremy Vine is mind numbingly trite, but suspect he feels he asks the questions that his listeners want to hear.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*getting dragged into a wicker plane by my kids*

KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD drat MONEY

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Ah, they've found a use for all those empty office buildings that can be converted to substandard accomodation and the buildings that get shown in TV exposes of poo poo landlords.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/may/16/asylum-seekers-to-lose-basic-housing-protections-in-move-to-cut-hotel-use

Those HMO licences do annoy landlord types who hate having to spend money on their properties so I can see them salivating at getting to not even bother.
Exciting potential future timeline:
1. Landlords start packing 8 people into a single bedroom, happily ignore all previous regulations, etc
2. Rental properties listed as “refugees only” to avoid getting dinged
3. Would-be renters can’t find a place to live as they’re all “refugees only”
4. Daily Mail et al pitch a fit over “preferential treatment of refugees over Brits” in the housing market
5. Popular support* emerges for removing regulations on non-refugee rentals to rectify this
6. Squalor for all, everybody dies of diphtheria

*by serious intellectuals who make difficult decisions

TACD fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 19, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

loving lol

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1659254497351286784

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Every reply is about Epstein, you gotta love it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

kecske posted:

"...and then my family made me dance like a russian circus bear for the amusement of the public, before monetising every scrap of goodwill they could."
~fin~

best movie intro for a *record scratch*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
[INT: Respiratory ward in Barbados] Yep, That's Me

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ahh, Captain Tom: that takes me back! Was just musing last night on how it's less than 2 years since all Covid social restrictions were lifted and you could go to the pub normally again, but it feels like a lifetime ago. Still remember how strange and thrilling it felt to be able to just lean on the bar and order a pint like in the old days again.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fast & the furious 100 (laps of the garden)

ah don't need the nhs, ah got family

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Now I'm imagining a crank / weekend at bernie's crossover about the Barbados holiday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was just thinking Jason Statham would be a good pick to play the part where he's riding a Norton ES2 through the jungle trying to find a poppy plantation before he shart.

Andy Pandy
Dec 11, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I've been following this topic for a few years. If anyone isn't aware of what's currently going on in the US regarding UFO/UAP stuff, it's deeply fascinating regardless of what conclusions you might draw from it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

To me the differences between Napalm Death and Slipknot are massive

I read this and immediately went “well yeah no poo poo-“ but then stopped because

quote:

but that's because I've spent 25 years listening to this poo poo to point where even the difference between death metal era At The Gates and melodic death metal era of At The Gates (essentially everything before Terminal Spirit Disease and TSD onwards) is vast.

And realised oh no me too I’m so loving old :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I read this and immediately went “well yeah no poo poo-“ but then stopped because

Dudes... mere babes, mere babes.

I moved thrashwards & then deathwards almost 40 years ago.

In the general metal genre, my first non-NWOBHM purchase was Ride the Lightning and it blew me away. By the end of the 80s I'd seen Metallica (before they sold out), Metal Church, Anthrax, Carcass, Cancer, Candlemass, Anathema, Onslaught, Napalm Death, Megadeth, Flotsam & Jetsam, and a host of others whose names escape me just now. I used to go to gigs once or twice a week - the glory days when I lived 10 mins crawl home from central London & you could get a ticket to most of those for £5, then a bunch of others in the 90s. I know some of these are not 'death' (melodic or otherwise) but it was only just beginning to emerge in the late 80s.

First I had to get over my fear of going to gigs alone (I used to several years earlier - eg Siouxsie & the Banshees but it is a muscle that soon fades if you start going with someone else all the time). None of my friends had any musical taste shared my tastes then Cliff Burton got killed and I thought 'if I don't go to these gigs on my own I'm never going to see anyone live'. Then of course once I started going I met people at gigs who did share my tastes without me having to suffer 5 Bon Jovis / Status Quos and - shamefully - a Gary Glitter before I could get my bestie to a decent gig.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Andy Pandy posted:

I've been following this topic for a few years. If anyone isn't aware of what's currently going on in the US regarding UFO/UAP stuff, it's deeply fascinating regardless of what conclusions you might draw from it.
There's many incidents involving objects doing impossible maneuvers or even splashing into the ocean, that have been verified by multiple people and instruments independently, that have no reasonable explanation as birds or lens flares of whatever. Nobody knows what they are, but standard explanations have been ruled out on many of them.

The disclosure going frustratingly slowly, but suffice to say that UAPs are something that are now taken seriously by serious people in the military. There's even a new program now called ARRO building off some previous efforts by the military and intelligence.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...tion-and-manag/

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So it’s clearly now going to come out that all the big UK businesses and organisations are also hotbeds of groping and nonceing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cat botherer posted:

There's many incidents involving objects doing impossible maneuvers or even splashing into the ocean, that have been verified by multiple people and instruments independently, that have no reasonable explanation as birds or lens flares of whatever. Nobody knows what they are, but standard explanations have been ruled out on many of them.

The disclosure going frustratingly slowly, but suffice to say that UAPs are something that are now taken seriously by serious people in the military. There's even a new program now called ARRO building off some previous efforts by the military and intelligence.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...tion-and-manag/

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from loving aliens apparently

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope we get terror from the deep. I want to get eaten by a lobsterman.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Dabir posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from loving aliens apparently
It's no technology anybody on the Earth has, unless China is secretly like 500 years ahead of us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Highly improbable explanations can still be vastly more probable than aliens is the thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cat botherer posted:

It's no technology anybody on the Earth has, unless China is secretly like 500 years ahead of us.

More like 5000

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Dude, if I get infected by a Chryssalid I'm taking the first train I can find to a Tory constituency

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEQEPGDbU4U

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Highly improbable explanations can still be vastly more probable than aliens is the thing.
It's not necessarily even aliens as we'd think. The only scenario that could really explain of the observations now known is some vast conspiracy to fake this stuff. The best thing, IMO, is to just keep studying and observing the phenomena, without necessarily trying to come up with specific interpretations like "aliens."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

cat botherer posted:

So you've travelled back from 500 years into the future to confirm that then?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Dabir posted:

So you've travelled back from 500 years into the future to confirm that then?
Yeah. A few of the UAP sightings were me going back and forth to the future, but what about the other ones?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'd love to have some mysterious otherworldly poo poo that I could actually believe in or at least enjoy not being able to rule out. If the UFO stuff is genuinely interesting to people who aren't completely credulous, is there a good summary or feed somewhere I could look at?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm guessing the UFO thread in CSPAM is 20% thoughtful discussion of the phenomena, 79% funny shitposts about wanting to believe and 1% unhinged insanity from true believers? I've not been in it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

The Perfect Element posted:

If the UFO stuff is genuinely interesting to people who aren't completely credulous,

Gonna have to stop you there.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

So it’s clearly now going to come out that all the big UK businesses and organisations are also hotbeds of groping and nonceing.

Turns out Power corrupts, and running a organisation is power.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There was a photo of him & her at Charlie boy's big hat ceremony. He looked like Oswald Cobblepot & she looked pregnant.

Called it.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1659587088247926784?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah, I've tried explaining why I like what I like but don't particularly care for Slipknot & the end result is usually blank stares. "Yeah, but it's all metal". OK bruv, why do you listen to trance but won't touch jungle (or vice versa)? Same concept.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dudes... mere babes, mere babes.

I moved thrashwards & then deathwards almost 40 years ago.

In the general metal genre, my first non-NWOBHM purchase was Ride the Lightning and it blew me away. By the end of the 80s I'd seen Metallica (before they sold out), Metal Church, Anthrax, Carcass, Cancer, Candlemass, Anathema, Onslaught, Napalm Death, Megadeth, Flotsam & Jetsam, and a host of others whose names escape me just now. I used to go to gigs once or twice a week - the glory days when I lived 10 mins crawl home from central London & you could get a ticket to most of those for £5, then a bunch of others in the 90s. I know some of these are not 'death' (melodic or otherwise) but it was only just beginning to emerge in the late 80s.

First I had to get over my fear of going to gigs alone (I used to several years earlier - eg Siouxsie & the Banshees but it is a muscle that soon fades if you start going with someone else all the time). None of my friends had any musical taste shared my tastes then Cliff Burton got killed and I thought 'if I don't go to these gigs on my own I'm never going to see anyone live'. Then of course once I started going I met people at gigs who did share my tastes without me having to suffer 5 Bon Jovis / Status Quos and - shamefully - a Gary Glitter before I could get my bestie to a decent gig.

You can say many things about me but hey, at least I have never seen Gary Glitter :smuggo:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Say what you like about Boris but he knows how to blow his beans

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And where!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

You can say many things about me but hey, at least I have never seen Gary Glitter :smuggo:
There's a public list of playgrounds in Dorset if you ever want to.