Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Can confirm, I tried a Sony Xperia a few years ago and I had that experience. Battery life was also meh. Went Pixel Gang and didn't look back :v:

I tried the Xperia 1 III and the 5 IV. I, personally, quite liked the camera options and thought I was able to take pretty good pictures, albeit almost entirely of my cats. I think Sony’s phones are the only devices currently on the market that are genuinely aesthetically pleasing to me. iPhones have giant camera bumps that are almost as thick on their own as the phones they’re attached to. Samsung makes decent looking devices, but they either have the same curve radius at the corners of the device & screen or rounded off sides with a curved screen. I really don’t like the design concept of any Pixel since the 5/5a. LG is gone, HTC is gone, Motorola doesn’t really compete in the high end market anymore afaik, OnePlus is OnePlus.

This is the first time I’ve actually thought about it, but smartphones these days just all aesthetically look awful to me. Except for the Sony devices. Which I guess is honestly a pretty dumb metric by which to measure desirability of a consumer electronic. I should probably talk to a therapist about that.

All that said, the issues with the 1 III was abysmal battery life, the dimmest screen I’ve seen in years, and zero 5G support. The issues with the 5 IV was the omission of several 5G bands and SD8G1 overheating.

The 1 V has all the 5G bands, aside from mmWave, that Verizon uses. Has a screen roughly as bright as the iPhone 14 Pro. Has much better battery life than the 1 III. SD8G2 runs cooler and Sony says they’ve done better with thermal management in general. It seems like it should be a home run for me, personally. However, something tells me there is going to be some showstopper issue crop up that torpedoes using the device long term. And while it’s not a necessity, the lack of eSIM support for North American variants of their devices is odd to me, and would make using it alongside my eSIM only iPhone 14 Pro a pain in the rear end (which is more Apple’s fault, their lock-in scheme with eSIM only and other devices that require an iPhone works remarkably well).

E: Jesus Christ that was a lot of :words: about why I hate smartphones…

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Aukey ear buds $6.49 shipped with code

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cheech Marinade posted:

My wife plays a lot of mobile games, mostly Scopely stuff IIRC, and for Christmas I got her a new Galaxy Tab a8 to replace her old beat up Galaxy Tab s3, thinking since it's 5 years newer it should outperform the s3 in most categories, but it hasn't worked out too well. Her games freeze up and crash, and sometimes the tablet becomes totally unresponsive. The new tablet seems to work OK for general browsing, but sucks at playing Yahtzee of all things. I want to get her a good tablet for her birthday, and the pixel looks like a good fit/price, but it doesn't ship until 2 months after her birthday.

What'd be a good current tablet for playing games, in the $300-$500 price range? All of her old and current android devices are Samsung, but I don't think it's important that this replacement be a Samsung, if there are better options available.

I guess I could give her a preorder receipt as a birthday present, lol!

My condolences for being another person sucked into the laggy pile of trash that is the A8 Tab.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are no good small Android tablets. They just don't make them. They are are Fire level trash with slow processors and 720p screens.

I would light my credit card on fire pulling it out of my wallet so fast if Samsung made a modern Tab 8.8 with a SD8 Gen 2, 1440p OLED 120hz screen. The iPad Mini 6 would immediately go into the drawer.

Anyone who says iOS has a ton better tablet support either spends all their day in Procreate or is a liar

All that said, if you are ok with the size, the OnePlus Pad is within the price range, has a good 120hz display, and runs on the Dimensity 9000 chip which was last year's flagship so performance is great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just felt my Pixel 7 getting warm, so I checked out the battery stats. "Phone idle" has used 7 hours and 41 minutes, or 21% of the battery over about 13 hours. I do have pretty lovely signal at my house, but I have wifi calling enables. Is the weak signal what's killing my battery? If so, is there anything I can do besides badger my carrier (haha just kidding it's Mint Mobile).

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Put your phone into airplane mode, then turn on Wi-Fi. As long as Wi-Fi calling is enabled you'll be able to make and receive calls and texts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Put your phone into airplane mode, then turn on Wi-Fi. As long as Wi-Fi calling is enabled you'll be able to make and receive calls and texts.

Huh, I suspected that it was sending and receiving SMS over wifi, but wasn't sure. And it turns out it does MMS too, which is really surprising. I guess I'll have to set up Tasker to toggle airplane mode while I'm home. Thanks!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have two sony android cameras and they are amazing but their phones tend to be terrible

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Celexi posted:

I have two sony android cameras and they are amazing but their phones tend to be terrible

You shut your goddamn dirty mouth. The Xperia XZ1 Compact was an amazing phone. :mad:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cheech Marinade posted:

My wife plays a lot of mobile games, mostly Scopely stuff IIRC, and for Christmas I got her a new Galaxy Tab a8 to replace her old beat up Galaxy Tab s3, thinking since it's 5 years newer it should outperform the s3 in most categories, but it hasn't worked out too well. Her games freeze up and crash, and sometimes the tablet becomes totally unresponsive. The new tablet seems to work OK for general browsing, but sucks at playing Yahtzee of all things. I want to get her a good tablet for her birthday, and the pixel looks like a good fit/price, but it doesn't ship until 2 months after her birthday.

What'd be a good current tablet for playing games, in the $300-$500 price range? All of her old and current android devices are Samsung, but I don't think it's important that this replacement be a Samsung, if there are better options available.

I guess I could give her a preorder receipt as a birthday present, lol!

Maybe consider a ChromeOS 2-in-1? I got my partner an ASUS 2-in-1 that has basically become her main computer now. I can't vouch for whether all the games will be compatible running in Android on a Chromebook, but in terms of bang for your buck it's hard to beat the better 2-in-1 Chromebooks.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Anyone here have a folding phone?

Thinking of getting the new Pixel Fold.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had the Fold 3 and currently have the Fold 4 and Flip 4 and pre-ordered the Pixel Fold.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I've had the Fold 3 and currently have the Fold 4 and Flip 4 and pre-ordered the Pixel Fold.

That's a lot of folds.

You're all full on folds.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am assuming you like them and the folding mechanisms/screens are pretty durable these days?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't had an issue with durability but admittedly mine haven't seen as much use as an someone's lone device since I swap around devices often (and mostly end up back on the Pixel 7 Pro.) Though, even when my SIM isn't in them, the Folds tend to be used as cough browsing devices when my annoyance with iOS on my iPad Mini boils over.

I did use the Flip 3 (had had prior) for a few months straight and the Fold 4 for almost as long after I got it, but it's OneUI (or, rather, lack of PixelOS) that eventually drives me back to the pixels. Flip 3 was also really compromised in the camera dept and the Flip 4 is an improvement on that, but I've been a bit lazy about swapping out to it (I basically got both Flips for free so I don't feel all that pressured to use them as an every day phone.)

The Fold 4 was a lot improved on the Fold 3. The ever so wider cover display made a HUGE difference when closed (one of the reasons why I'm excited for the Pixel Fold which takes that a lot further), and it finally got cameras from the mainline (non-ultra) S23 line so it wasn't nearly as compromised there. SD8+ Gen 1 was a huge improvement in battery and heat over the SD888 in the Fold 3 and Flip 3 (MAN the Flip 3 would get burning hot using wireless AA.)

The Pixel Fold seems to be taking all I do like about foldables and putting it in a package that's easier to live with day to day. Less tall, far more usable cover screen, and a lot thinner than the Fold 4, and likely better cameras. I actually expect the battery to be better than the Pixel 7 Pro for two reasons. First, I think they are using more modern displays for both inside and out based on the brightness numbers and that usually means lower power consumption. Second, with a tablet foldable, MOST of your interaction is with the cover screen as odd as it seems. Just all the little interactions during the day are ones that you don't open it for. For those, the screen is smaller and lower resolution than the P7P and therefore should balance out the screen usage when open.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I haven't had an issue with durability but admittedly mine haven't seen as much use as an someone's lone device since I swap around devices often (and mostly end up back on the Pixel 7 Pro.) Though, even when my SIM isn't in them, the Folds tend to be used as cough browsing devices when my annoyance with iOS on my iPad Mini boils over.

I did use the Flip 3 (had had prior) for a few months straight and the Fold 4 for almost as long after I got it, but it's OneUI (or, rather, lack of PixelOS) that eventually drives me back to the pixels. Flip 3 was also really compromised in the camera dept and the Flip 4 is an improvement on that, but I've been a bit lazy about swapping out to it (I basically got both Flips for free so I don't feel all that pressured to use them as an every day phone.)

The Fold 4 was a lot improved on the Fold 3. The ever so wider cover display made a HUGE difference when closed (one of the reasons why I'm excited for the Pixel Fold which takes that a lot further), and it finally got cameras from the mainline (non-ultra) S23 line so it wasn't nearly as compromised there. SD8+ Gen 1 was a huge improvement in battery and heat over the SD888 in the Fold 3 and Flip 3 (MAN the Flip 3 would get burning hot using wireless AA.)

The Pixel Fold seems to be taking all I do like about foldables and putting it in a package that's easier to live with day to day. Less tall, far more usable cover screen, and a lot thinner than the Fold 4, and likely better cameras. I actually expect the battery to be better than the Pixel 7 Pro for two reasons. First, I think they are using more modern displays for both inside and out based on the brightness numbers and that usually means lower power consumption. Second, with a tablet foldable, MOST of your interaction is with the cover screen as odd as it seems. Just all the little interactions during the day are ones that you don't open it for. For those, the screen is smaller and lower resolution than the P7P and therefore should balance out the screen usage when open.

Appreciate the detailed thoughts.

I really liked the pixel 1 and 3, I currently have a Galaxy S21+. The S21 is good, but software wise I liked the pixels a lot better.

Sounds like the pixel fold might be the foldable to try.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Huh, I suspected that it was sending and receiving SMS over wifi, but wasn't sure. And it turns out it does MMS too, which is really surprising. I guess I'll have to set up Tasker to toggle airplane mode while I'm home. Thanks!

Well, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any difference. Phone idle is still at 21% of battery and even a little bit more time used than yesterday.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
T-mobile for example on the wifi calling settings has A setting to prefer wifi which does disconnect cellular if the signal is bad.

Do you maybe have a bad sim card or some rogue app keeping the phone awake?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

There was also a very recent bug with the Google app specifically on Pixels causing battery drain.

https://9to5google.com/2023/05/15/pixel-battery-drain-google-app/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Celexi posted:

T-mobile for example on the wifi calling settings has A setting to prefer wifi which does disconnect cellular if the signal is bad.

Do you maybe have a bad sim card or some rogue app keeping the phone awake?

I didn't think to toggle that wifi calling setting (it's available on Mint Mobile too). I'll try that for a day and see if it makes a difference.

As to the SIM, how would I even test that? I do have AccuBattery installed, but it always complains that it's getting killed in the background, even after I've gone through all the troubleshooting related to that.

Bandire posted:

There was also a very recent bug with the Google app specifically on Pixels causing battery drain.

https://9to5google.com/2023/05/15/pixel-battery-drain-google-app/

I did see that news item from Android Police, but I don't see the Google app using much battery.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

As to the SIM, how would I even test that? I do have AccuBattery installed, but it always complains that it's getting killed in the background, even after I've gone through all the troubleshooting related to that.

How long have you had that SIM card and how many times has it been inserted & removed from devices? The cards can wear out with age or frequent swapping around.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Branch Nvidian posted:

How long have you had that SIM card and how many times has it been inserted & removed from devices? The cards can wear out with age or frequent swapping around.

Hmm. Maybe a couple of years? But it's only been removed two or three times.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hooah posted:

Hmm. Maybe a couple of years? But it's only been removed two or three times.

Do you know if it's a "5G SIM card" or not? I had an issue with Verizon where I was getting 5G on my phone but it was spotty and inconsistent until they replaced it with one that has the 5G logo thing on it. I don't know if there is actually any difference, sometimes I think companies just put branding on things so they can charge for it, but it fixed the issue entirely.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Branch Nvidian posted:

Do you know if it's a "5G SIM card" or not? I had an issue with Verizon where I was getting 5G on my phone but it was spotty and inconsistent until they replaced it with one that has the 5G logo thing on it. I don't know if there is actually any difference, sometimes I think companies just put branding on things so they can charge for it, but it fixed the issue entirely.

Oh man, you're going to make me dig out a SIM tool... It does not have 5G on it anywhere, but I don't know if their SIMs do, anyhow.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
it doesn't have to have, like t-mobile r15 or something is their 5g sa sim cards

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I saw the new thread title - did they finally release a pixel mini? I saw some headline about the bendy thing and can't be arsed to send any link juice to any of those articles to find out

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The bendy is smaller when bent than the current ones but no pixel mini

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So, a fun new thing that started last night.

Sorry. I misspoke there.

An infuriating thing that cropped up last night is that my Pixel 6 Pro has started spontaneously rebooting when trying to switch users. I have my personal and work stuff segregated (beyond the Android at work stuff), as well as a user for my kids which has no passcode and limited apps, etc.

Last night, when I would switch back and forth it started rebooting. Sometimes several times in a row, and then work ok for a while.

Did it before and after I applied the May update.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

AlexDeGruven posted:

So, a fun new thing that started last night.

Sorry. I misspoke there.

An infuriating thing that cropped up last night is that my Pixel 6 Pro has started spontaneously rebooting when trying to switch users. I have my personal and work stuff segregated (beyond the Android at work stuff), as well as a user for my kids which has no passcode and limited apps, etc.

Last night, when I would switch back and forth it started rebooting. Sometimes several times in a row, and then work ok for a while.

Did it before and after I applied the May update.

Just reaching here, but try removing the work profile, restart, then add it again. Failing any other advice I'd try Googling, then factory reset if I had no joy. I'm a reset rebel, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just reaching here, but try removing the work profile, restart, then add it again. Failing any other advice I'd try Googling, then factory reset if I had no joy. I'm a reset rebel, though.

Resetting is on the table. Just trying to avoid it until I get my P8Pro or Fold 5.

So, interesting bit. It's not actually crashing the OS, just restarting the front end. Just did it twice on me and still shows 6h uptime (when I did the update).

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 18, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I saw the new thread title - did they finally release a pixel mini?

Yeah, it's called the Samsung Galaxy S23.

There's the Zenfone 9 if you want to spend even more on fewer software updates and supposedly there's a Zenfone 10 coming but with a bigger screen, so RIP good "small" phones.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kinda wish Sony would sell the Xperia 10 series in the US. I know some folks who would be into them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I didn't think to toggle that wifi calling setting (it's available on Mint Mobile too). I'll try that for a day and see if it makes a difference.

It seems to have reduced the idle phone battery usage a little bit, but not hugely. I guess every little bit helps.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sony was at its best during the Z1-3-5 years particularly the compact phones. I don't even know what market they hit now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wonder if the A series Pixels might end up being the Pixel Mini. They're already smaller than the mainline phones, and from what I've seen there is less to differentiate the 7a from the 7 than there was between the 6a and 6, so if they are going to keep the A series around maybe they'll go even smaller?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What tracker do you guys recommend for Android? I read that there are now going to be trackers that sync with "Find My Device" on Android. I see that two companies, Tile and Chipolo have pre orders already for trackers that utilize Find My Device.

I want something for my wallet and keys. Are there other companies that I should look into and does Google have anything in the pipeline to offer something with their own branding like Apple AirTags?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Busy Bee posted:

What tracker do you guys recommend for Android? I read that there are now going to be trackers that sync with "Find My Device" on Android. I see that two companies, Tile and Chipolo have pre orders already for trackers that utilize Find My Device.

I want something for my wallet and keys. Are there other companies that I should look into and does Google have anything in the pipeline to offer something with their own branding like Apple AirTags?

This is Google we're talking about. They'll promise it, Samsung will beat them to market with a decent product with some crippling defect, then 10 other manufacturers, then Google will finally release theirs. Then they'll cancel the whole project.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

datamining suggests that google are working on their own tracking tag, which may support UWB precision tracking like airtags

if your phone doesn't have UWB then you may as well get something from a third party though, it'll probably be cheaper and you can get the card ones for wallets

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sharkytm posted:

This is Google we're talking about. They'll promise it, Samsung will beat them to market with a decent product with some crippling defect, then 10 other manufacturers, then Google will finally release theirs. Then they'll cancel the whole project.

Samsung already has trackers in the market and the crippling defect is they only work with Samsung phones.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Samsung already has trackers in the market and the crippling defect is they only work with Samsung phones.

I wouldn't exactly call it "crippling" given the amount of Samsung phones out there. They probably rival the AirTags in coverage/usability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vendor lock in on android is dumb. I have two of the things I got for free, one of them the UWB model, and they haven't even been unboxed since I can't use them with a Pixel.

I would have thought they would have learned their lesson on that one with their wearables. Even if only Samsung phones in the wild have the native ability to track the things, you should at least be able to setup and manage your own tag on a non-Samsung device.