Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Mayn event are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Jailton Almeida 3 10.71%
Raquel Pennington vs Irene Aldana 2 1 3.57%
Gegard Mousasi vs Fabian Edwards 1 3.57%
Anything that isn't any of those fights 23 82.14%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

G-Hawk posted:

PFL should do exactly this and strategically plow all their money into raiding specifically heavyweight because if nothing else they could make dana white real mad and troll him about pfl having the biggest badest dudes actually and it would at least give them a semi-credible angle for why they have have a competitive product if they pumped up one division.

This was Strikeforce's strategy and it seemed like it was starting to work but then they were immediately bought by the UFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

On the topic of heavyweight negotiations, Ngannou was illuminatingly open about his negotiations with the various companies on Helwani's show.

It's all an interesting read, but in summary:
  • Bellator was very professional but ultimately said they weren't in a position to make an offer, so they never did
  • ONE was extremely weird and Chatri was a used car salesman who spent the entire meeting talking about how huge ONE already was and how they would turn Ngannou into Nelson Mandela
  • BKFC's president said they'd reached out to Ngannou and decided against it because Ngannou wanted unrealistic money; according to Ngannou neither he nor his team were ever contacted by BKFC and he has no idea what he's talking about
  • PFL basically gave him everything he wanted
It's somehow comforting to know none of Chatri being a huge lying weirdo is an act and he's just really like that all of the time.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
But did Chatri call Francis “the worst” and “a most lamentable dust-man”?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I'm disappointed fight circus didn't offer him half the camsoda tips they generate and an endless supply of John Nut singing the Thai national anthem

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

The UFC's got big fuckin' plans for Maheshate. They are very proud of their tall-yet-lightweight big-punchman from China and they would love to use him as a spearhead for further expansion into the market.

This one seems pretty easy to me. Fast track Yan Xiaonan to the title shot if Zhang stays there, and pack the rest of the card with Chinese fighters in contests of whatever level of legitimacy the UFC feels like.
Should sell pretty well. The all China novelty of Yan vs Zhang is there if they want to use it.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

This one seems pretty easy to me. Fast track Yan Xiaonan to the title shot if Zhang stays there, and pack the rest of the card with Chinese fighters in contests of whatever level of legitimacy the UFC feels like.
Should sell pretty well. The all China novelty of Yan vs Zhang is there if they want to use it.

I would imagine the UFC is also super happy that they both fight a exciting style that non Chinese will also be excited to see

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ah makes sense. Sort of. drat, that's a shame.
On a similar note, how long is Whitaker going to be relevant for? Another few fights, maaaybe? Is it just me or is his striking stuck in a rut. Seems like he still relies on his lunging right hand, can't put together combos and can't really move in and out effectively.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Ah makes sense. Sort of. drat, that's a shame.
On a similar note, how long is Whitaker going to be relevant for? Another few fights, maaaybe? Is it just me or is his striking stuck in a rut. Seems like he still relies on his lunging right hand, can't put together combos and can't really move in and out effectively.

It's 100% just you. He fucks up anyone not named Israel without getting out of 2nd gear and on some people's score cards - though not mine, won their 2nd fight.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Apparently there's a McGregor documentary coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/65602627

quote:

McGregor's fight against Nurmagomedov was the most-watched UFC bout, with the build-up being particularly bad-tempered.

In April 2018, McGregor attacked a bus carrying the Russian, resulting in a community service sentence.

Nurmagomedov followed his win by jumping into the crowd and attacking McGregor's team.

Wonder why that could've happened...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

I would imagine the UFC is also super happy that they both fight a exciting style that non Chinese will also be excited to see

It’s possible. I don’t find that they push Zhang as hard as her performances warrant. It’s in line with how they treat the other non attractive women fighters, and reflective of Carl’s broad frustration with the matchmaking that’s pervasive in this era of the UFC.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Apparently there's a McGregor documentary coming

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/65602627

Wonder why that could've happened...

Yeah it's on Netflix right now. Watched the first episode last night. It covered his life prior to fighting, his rise, his double championship run, his stardom, the build-up to the Khabib fight, the bus incident, the fight with Khabib, the loss, how he deals with it.

I gotta admit, it was pretty fookin' good.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 18, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Tyson Fury blasts ‘little p****’ Joe Rogan for picking Jon Jones in fight, Francis Ngannou responds

quote:

In this case, that’s Joe Rogan, who recently predicted UFC heavyweight champ Jones would destroy Fury if the two were locked in a room and forced to work things out.

Back in the gym, a fired-up Fury went straight for Rogan’s jugular in his response to that opinion.

“I heard Joe Rogan say something about me, and I’ve been off all the social medias and didn’t reply to that little p****, little f****** midget, bald-headed midget,” said Fury as he paced around the hallways of his gym. “I heard him say that Jon Jones could f*** me up if we were in the room together.

“I don’t think so. Not a man born from a mother could f*** me up, in a room, on our own. Whatever happens in that room, I’d be walking out. Not a f****** problem.”

https://twitter.com/JonnyBones/status/1659318478447443968?s=20

The video in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-CZQW76oI

Man, Rogan even doesn't understand the brilliance of Jon. They talk about some point in that clip about what it's like to be afraid of no one and to think that "no one in the world can whip my rear end". But that's the complete opposite of why Jon is the GOAT. Jon and GSP are the best ever because they are afraid of everyone else. Even that tweet has the energy of "oh yeah pussy? How about I have panic attacks every day until we actually fight and I kill you."

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I think Tyson Fury would hesitate much less (or not at all) to just kick Jon in the nuts, and that's what would determine the winner of that fight, but under actual MMA rules yeah Jon probably wins. We'll never see it in either sport.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah it's on Netflix right now. Watched the first episode last night. It covered his life prior to fighting, his rise, his double championship run, his stardom, the build-up to the Khabib fight, the bus incident, the fight with Khabib, the loss, how he deals with it.

I gotta admit, it was pretty fookin' good.

So how many of his crimes do they cover?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jones would shoot a power double and choke him out.

Fury would out box Jones, in boxing and it wouldn't be anything resembling competitive.

Fury is bros with Rogan and getting some pop. It's a bit of a nothing story really.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

So how many of his crimes do they cover?

Just the bus incident so far.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE Friday fights starting in a few which seems to always deliver on great fights somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2XJDddDew

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AndyElusive posted:

Just the bus incident so far.

Let us know whether or not they include the water safety penis princess incident

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

CommonShore posted:

Let us know whether or not they include the water safety penis princess incident

The what now

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Power Windows posted:

The what now

the time that he was going to do a water safety boat tour with a princess but it got cancelled because he pulled his pecker out in a night club on a greek island the night before they were gonna leave

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Man, Rogan even doesn't understand the brilliance of Jon. They talk about some point in that clip about what it's like to be afraid of no one and to think that "no one in the world can whip my rear end". But that's the complete opposite of why Jon is the GOAT. Jon and GSP are the best ever because they are afraid of everyone else. Even that tweet has the energy of "oh yeah pussy? How about I have panic attacks every day until we actually fight and I kill you."

Man this is so insightful, and dead nuts on. I would never count Jon out against anyone, ever and it's because he's such a loon. Dude is a loving mess, but he channels that into beating the absolute gently caress out of everyone including people I really think should have stomped the poo poo out of him. Any fights that were even close were ones where he took his opponent too lightly, usually when he was all coked out and being a loving idiot beforehand. It's hard to be a fan of his, but he is a goddamn genius in the cage.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
ONE Friday Fights report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2XJDddDew

Best Fights:
Li Gouzhen (36-5) vs. Jelte Blommaert (21-9) (MT 125) 1:09:36
Komawut (48-12) vs. Avatar (95-42) (MT 145) 3:29:45

Killer KO:
https://twitter.com/ONEChampionship/status/1659598683502002177
Full Report:
https://bocot.substack.com/p/one-friday-fights-17-2023-05-19

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CommonShore posted:

pulled his pecker out in a night club on a greek island
who among us…

well ok not me

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gramps posted:

Man this is so insightful, and dead nuts on. I would never count Jon out against anyone, ever and it's because he's such a loon. Dude is a loving mess, but he channels that into beating the absolute gently caress out of everyone including people I really think should have stomped the poo poo out of him. Any fights that were even close were ones where he took his opponent too lightly, usually when he was all coked out and being a loving idiot beforehand. It's hard to be a fan of his, but he is a goddamn genius in the cage.
It’s impossible to be a fan of his Darkside GSP act. Instead of double-legging Josh Koscheck from the word Fight he eye-pokes people and kicks their knees.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1659667915300274179?s=20

That puts him at the December Vegas card at the earliest, right?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
RIP to the greatest commentator in UFC history.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1659667915300274179?s=20

That puts him at the December Vegas card at the earliest, right?

Unless they pull the Brock rule and ufc says nah he exempt

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It's cute how USADA tries to act like the UFC doesn't sign their checks.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
will at least be fun to watch conor gas out enough for two men

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

RIP to the greatest commentator in UFC history.

Didn’t realize Jim Brown was still alive. Wonder how lucid he was at 87. He sounded mentally great 3 years ago.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
I had the occasion to encourage someone to don't be scared homie (of a dental appointment) and to teach them the origins of that meme today. I'd forgotten about this amazing gem:

Brett Okamoto, ESPN posted:

If there is one thing the NSAC dislikes more than a guilty athlete, it's a guilty athlete who shows no remorse. And in three separate NSAC disciplinary hearings for marijuana-related offenses, Diaz has shown no remorse... He has now been suspended by the Nevada commission in 2007, 2012 and 2015.

During a 2012 hearing, commissioner Pat Lundvall reminded Diaz he had "promised" the commission in 2007 that he would stop smoking marijuana. Lundvall asked Diaz how quickly he had resumed smoking after making that promise.

"I imagine when I got home," Diaz deadpanned.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Keith Mars posted:

I had the occasion to encourage someone to don't be scared homie (of a dental appointment) and to teach them the origins of that meme today. I'd forgotten about this amazing gem:

Hahahahahaah

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032368

GDT for Dern/Hill is up, fights begin in roughly an hour. Let us see this month off.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Am I still drunk or is Chase starting to look like something approximating a mixed martial artist

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The language with which we talk about combat sports must evolve
https://twitter.com/SomeTweeter420/status/1659709711263076352

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Hello, punchsports community. We don't have any MMA this week, and that's sad. This whole month has been a little sad. And next month--while much busier--is, also, going to be kind of sad.

So after quietly toiling, I've started an extremely stupid forums game to try to fill the space, remember some slightly more fun times, and answer a deeply important academic question about the history of our sport.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4032420

Be there, and be a part of history.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ngannou responded on Twitter to Dana's usual retconn attempt

quote:

What is your problem with me?

1. I completed my contract, was a free agent, and chose to walk away. you didn’t release me

2. I hate taking risks? that’s why I defended my title to fulfill my contract with no acl or mcl?

3. The reason I fought three times in three years is because you wanted to control my deal and signs a new one. And freeze me out. “I owe these guys three fights a year.” Isn’t that what you say? What happened? I always asked for & never said no to any fight in the 3 years

I’m finally getting paid and respected, and have a deal that’s fair and equal for all parties. Why are you so against me being free and happy?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I started reading the Rickson Gracie book and I am hooting and hollering at my Kindle the whole time

https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1660477433584164866

https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1660484252801159170

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is the New York Gracie family history stuff not accurate? Most of it seems to line up with googling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Honestly that seems pretty tame for what I was expecting for a book from Rickson.