Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kesper North posted:

D-did Antimony pick her outfit to match the color of the crossguard and blade on her sword

You gotta coordinate your outfit with your weaponry, that's fashion 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm kind if impressed by this writing. That resolution is worse than I could have imagined.

For context. It is implied that Annie already knew at this point here. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2669

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 19, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I still don’t trust robot, but he probably thought Loup was a threat to his goddess.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

For context. It is implied that Annie already knew at this point here. https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2669

Yeah, none of this resolves the confusion of "if they were aware and intending to capture him, what about this scene made them finally go through with it" and "why did they act like they did previous to this scene"

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

GlyphGryph posted:

What's Ted Lasso?

A piece of fiction that has increasingly lost track of its main conceit and instead focuses on the mostly tedious love lives of minor characters the creators think are far more interesting than they actually are, and failed attempts to redeem irredeemable fuckwits.

So nothing like this comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also like, why not just make sure he got ate by the Star Ocean instead of gormlessly watching him escape when he was basically helpless if they knew and planned to deal with him

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also like, why not just make sure he got ate by the Star Ocean instead of gormlessly watching him escape when he was basically helpless if they knew and planned to deal with him

Because they're incapable of making good decisions.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

I'm kind if impressed by this writing. That resolution is worse than I could have imagined.

I'm assuming Robot told them a while after that, but phrased it as "this just happened" to the girls. Because otherwise, yeah, what the hell.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

... what the gently caress. why would she voluntarily tell Loup any of this. why would she agree to go somewhere with him alone. why would she allow him to touch her. why. wh. w :psyboom:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
it almost makes a twisted kind of sense that she knew jerrek was loup during that scene. at the time we all wondered, "why is annie confiding about this with this random robot boy she just met." well she actually knew that he's not just a random robot boy! :ms:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Honestly, just doing a quick skim of the archives from when Loup was born, if Annie revealed that she always suspected Jerrik of being Loup because... he already showed her that he was Jerrik when they first spoke, I can see the whole thing as "Annie played along with Loup to try to figure out just what his game is". I mean, I can actually see an argument for why Loup-as-Jerrik both falling in love with Lana and not wanting to destroy the Court anymore make sense. His initial acts of destruction and fixation on Annie were right after he was formed, and he even says that he only loves Annie because both of his creators loved her, and attacking the court was just because that was Ysengrin wanted to do it but never had the strength. We're now *insert span of time here* later, after Jerrik has "infiltrated" the court and actually had a chance to live amongst the humans, robots, and robots-as-humans. He's had time to become his own being seperate from Coyote and Ysengrin's strongest wants and desires, and he met someone who actually loves him for who he is, and it turned out he actually loved her too, rather than feeling like he loved her because his creators did while she openly hates him.

Loup is basically the creepy homeschooled raised-by-religious-nutters who actually turned out to be a decent person after he left home to go to college and got away from his toxic influences, is what I'm saying,

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least now we know why that halfassed capture attempt scene existed - him setting renard on fire is meant to provide a point of contention for this scene

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I'm assuming Robot told them a while after that, but phrased it as "this just happened" to the girls. Because otherwise, yeah, what the hell.

Yeah. Otherwise, why leave readers in the dark this long. We already know he's Loup, so it's not like this is a reveal to the audience. Not that that would make it much better, because it's weird to keep the fact that Annie and Kat knew from the audience for so long.

For Robot, we know he is manipulative. I could see him waiting to tell the gang, then claiming he just found out. It makes sense the gang would trust Robot's word and not Loup's.

I do find it funny that Loup thought robots couldn't lie, lol.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why would he think they couldnt lie though?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

lmao is this the most recently we've seen smitty?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would he think they couldnt lie though?

I mean, "robots can't lie unless explicitly instructed to" is a normal robot trope. However, Robot is a robot that wears clothing and is in a relationship with a literal shadow. What part of that says "normal robot"?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The scene where Annie is side eyeing Loup on the train makes more sense now. Annie is trying to get him to the star ocean and is discretely watching him get torn apart, then Lana ruins it by shoving him off the train.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ugh no I went back and reread it:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2669

This would work if Annie was known to be good at manipulating people, but she's not. She's the opposite. So this scene is her complaining to someone she knows is loup and lucking into him offering to commit suicide.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why would Loup know that robots not being able to lie is a common robot trope? He doesn't seem like much of a sci fi fan, and I would have expected, based on his origin, that he would assume that anything built by the court was deceptive by default. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

None of this makes any sense to me.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

The scene where Annie is side eyeing Loup on the train makes more sense now. Annie is trying to get him to the star ocean and is discretely watching him get torn apart, then Lana ruins it by shoving him off the train.

Did Annie have any reason to believe that taking Loup to the star ocean would tear him apart? I very well may be misremembering, but I don't remember that being brought up until it actually happened to Loup, and Annie only knew that the court wanted to go someplace without ether.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Why would Loup know that robots not being able to lie is a common robot trope? He doesn't seem like much of a sci fi fan, and I would have expected, based on his origin, that he would assume that anything built by the court was deceptive by default. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

None of this makes any sense to me.

like his entire character development has been that he's now terminally genre-aware

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"Loup joins the good guys and the Court is the real final villain" is a twist I've been seeing coming for a while now, but it's happening in dumber ways than I could have expected.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
People who pointed out in this thread that even if the suspicion that Annie knew Loup was Jerrek turned out to be true, it had been dragged out too long to be satisfying to "call it" were right. :(

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

GlyphGryph posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: None of this makes any sense to me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
This makes the whole Zimmy summoning thing even more baffling. Annie was blamed for a plan she didn't come up with to risk antagonizing an extremely powerful and unpredictable entity for information she didn't need?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CodfishCartographer posted:

Did Annie have any reason to believe that taking Loup to the star ocean would tear him apart? I very well may be misremembering, but I don't remember that being brought up until it actually happened to Loup, and Annie only knew that the court wanted to go someplace without ether.
See me followup post.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Thinking about the whole "Kat gets a brain implant and it's the final straw that leads to her girlfriend leaving her" incident. One of the first things Kat says when the implant is online is like, oh now I'll be able to search a big area for Loup! Which now seems like an unreasonably extreme measure to take when you supposedly already know that Loup is in disguise as this guy you see fairly regularly, but oh well, later Paz!!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 19, 2023

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

Thinking about the whole "Kat gets a brain implant and it's the final straw that leads to her girlfriend leaving her" incident. One of the first things Kat says when the implant is online is like, oh now I'll be able to search a big area for Loup! Which now seems like an unreasonably extreme measure to take when you supposedly already know that Loup is in disguise as this guy you see fairly regularly, but oh well, later Paz!!

Being the slightest bit generous to the comic, maybe Lana and Jerrek were somehow genuinely unreachable when they hid away in that non-descript room after the Star Ocean thing?

Which now that I typed it sounds unlikely. Iiiiiif Lana is the goosewife and not a real ex-robot-new-person, she might not be trackable in whatever manner the real ex-robot-new-people are to Kat.

I guess more logically, Annie and Kat didn't want to tip their hand too early by asking around for Jerrek and Lana, which means that their weird techno-cage wasn't ready yet.

I hate that so much happened off-screen, it's hard to tell what was intended and what was just lucky coincidence and/or me giving the benefit of the doubt to the writing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jabarto posted:

This makes the whole Zimmy summoning thing even more baffling. Annie was blamed for a plan she didn't come up with to risk antagonizing an extremely powerful and unpredictable entity for information she didn't need?

What? Annie went to find Zimmy to talk to her about the Star Ocean and the Omega device. She didn't go there to ask for information at all.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
the simple fact of the matter is that the perspective of the story has shifted from annie and her inner thoughts, to a completely detached narrative with no focal character. that's why it's been so jarring, cold, and distant. we used to have a perspective, and now we don't. the fact that we're being outright surprised by annie's actions and reactions is... the exact opposite of how the comic started.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Randalor posted:

What? Annie went to find Zimmy to talk to her about the Star Ocean and the Omega device. She didn't go there to ask for information at all.

I thought they were trying trying to track her down because she could help locate him?

I dunno, maybe it'd time I bow out of the comic. I can't even keep track of who's doing what, or why, anymore.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jabarto posted:

I thought they were trying trying to track her down because she could help locate him?

I dunno, maybe it'd time I bow out of the comic. I can't even keep track of who's doing what, or why, anymore.

Nah they went to track down Zimmy cus the omega device was tuned to Coyote / Loup to draw the Ether needed to power it or whatever, but then changed to be tuned to someone else and they guessed it was her.

That being said, she absolutely did ask Jenny to help find Loup so I guess we have to assume they just didn't know where Loup was, but knew he was Jerrek.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think they should have found out from Kat’s implant. That way they still found out before Jerrek came forward but it’s still a recent revelation

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Am I mistaken, or is the only person who's stated that robots cannot lie in the comic is Annie, while pretending to be a robot, and the doorbot who agreed with her didn't really seem to know much about robots at all?

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Splicer posted:

Ugh no I went back and reread it:
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2669

This would work if Annie was known to be good at manipulating people, but she's not. She's the opposite. So this scene is her complaining to someone she knows is loup and lucking into him offering to commit suicide.

As a counter argument, she did spend an entire chapter fake-flirting with Jack in the hopes of spurning him at the last second, and that was fairly convincing.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

GunnerJ posted:

I think this makes sense since Loup had already run away with Lana and disappeared for a week. If anything, I think that provides MORE urgency towards finding Loup, because Lana could have possibly been in danger.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, "knowing Loup is Jerrik" is not "Knowing where Loup/Jerrik is RIGHT NOW".

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

maltesh posted:

Am I mistaken, or is the only person who's stated that robots cannot lie in the comic is Annie, while pretending to be a robot, and the doorbot who agreed with her didn't really seem to know much about robots at all?

That definitely happened, and putting on a headband with some antenna on it and claiming to be a robot was enough to fool them, so I agree you can't really take "robots can't lie" as fact, but I have no problem with Jerrick assuming that and being wrong.

It's even possible with those robots being fairly naive that when Annie told them that, it became a thing that some of them started to believe it and passed it on, true or not. That last part is probably a stretch but it's funny to imagine and would fall in line with the more whimsical tone of things then.

I don't specifically remember anyone else saying that beyond Annie trying to pass off the common trope to trick the robots, but I do remember the scene you were talking about, because it was fun and adventurous with Annie getting up to some reasonably innocent mischief, which was a good tone for the comic. Good times.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I really, honestly don't think Robot told them "right away". How would they know when "right away" was? Tbh, I partially think this because everything would be so stupid and narratively lazy otherwise. It feels like grasping for straws to attach narrative significance to past events instead of actual revelations. I always thought Annie just looked bored on the train ride to the ocean. She's on public transit, arms crossed, looking absentmindedly one way then the other. Annie complaining to Jerrick about her death poo poo was weird, but why meet with Loup alone? Were Kat and Renard crouching in the bushes, just out of sight, waiting for Jerrick/Loup to reveal himself? Were they trying to get intel? And what intel that it was worth letting Loup continue to roam around when he might kill someone? When did this super-cage even get made?

Learning that Annie did know it was Jerrick, in my opinion, doesn't add much to their interactions, nor the actions of Annie/Kat. It just makes them bizarre.

Basically:

Niavmai posted:

the simple fact of the matter is that the perspective of the story has shifted from annie and her inner thoughts, to a completely detached narrative with no focal character. that's why it's been so jarring, cold, and distant. we used to have a perspective, and now we don't. the fact that we're being outright surprised by annie's actions and reactions is... the exact opposite of how the comic started.

We don't actually see plans form, characters working together (Robot/Kat/Annie), etc anymore. The result is confusion and the audience not knowing what we're supposed to think or feel. It all feels cheap and ill-defined. Kat/Annie learning about Jerrick and planning a special maneuver and cage for him, but it NEVER coming up narratively for.. months? despite the early "heehee Jerrick has a crush on you!" focus from Kat/Renard is just odd. Like a lazy red herring.

And I thought Jerrick's "Robots don't lie" was a 4th wall breaking joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This truly is a cliff notes Court.