Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dogstile posted:

That's not true, they :effort: changed some numbers every few months. I wonder if they just let random interns do it, for all the good it did.

I just assume the budget now goes to new dartboards and printer ink. Gotta be tiring flinging a dart at the next potential patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

widespread posted:

I now imagine giving Tracer a baseball bat and ball, let the OW2 mains know the horrors of the scout's Sandman.

Or hell, give Junkrat an undetonated potato masher grenade. Or Pharah a garden shovel that hurts really hard when she's airborne. Or Mercy a healing stick she can huff fumes from during Oktoberfest.

... drat I should get back into TF2. Then I can stop imagining OW heroes wearing hats of all kinds.

I just got back into TF2, it's great.

Also, they nerfed sandman into the ground.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Even TF2 x OW2 skins would be a lot of fun.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23952480/

The same nothing, bullshit PR answers. I love how they keep saying that it is not accurate they cancelled the PVE. YOU KNOW WHAT PEOPLE MEAN WHEN THEY SAY THAT

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
We have not abandoned PvE in Overwatch 2, we will just not being developing it for an indeterminate period of time. Why, since it can't be proved that the possibility doesn't exist, we may very well develop PvE in the future! We're just not doing it now but please stop being mad at us about it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

It’s an interesting phenomenon in that I don’t think I’ve seen anyone really defending Blizzard’s actions. Every person who played this game is pretty much on the same page of gently caress this, gently caress you, and gently caress any more empty promises you make.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

It’s an interesting phenomenon in that I don’t think I’ve seen anyone really defending Blizzard’s actions. Every person who played this game is pretty much on the same page of gently caress this, gently caress you, and gently caress any more empty promises you make.

It's been a very long time with a lot of fuckups. They had a lot of inertia.

Even now they'll probably carry on making money for a long time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The same nothing, bullshit PR answers. I love how they keep saying that it is not accurate they cancelled the PVE. YOU KNOW WHAT PEOPLE MEAN WHEN THEY SAY THAT

in fairness, there's nothing more they can really say at this point other than, "we severely overestimated our capacity and marched our team into quicksand," because that's exactly what happened

i'm sympathetic to the development team to a certain extent because, yes, gamedev is a challenge, but poor project management (e.g. hyperfixating on making sure that every hero had to have X number of talents on launch instead of just getting the loving mode out the door first) and poor communication over progress and pitfalls has consequences in terms of community trust and an ongoing willingness to engage with a product whose entire future is deeply uncertain

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ever since the PvE cancellation, I thought “wouldn’t it be awesome if they waffled on this, halfheartedly tried to walk it back, make some dumb promises and suggestions that they actually had no plans on fulfilling?” and by god it’s gonna be hilarious if they actually did that.

e: I say the above with full admission that I didn’t read the PR post.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 19, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vermain posted:

in fairness, there's nothing more they can really say at this point other than, "we severely overestimated our capacity and marched our team into quicksand," because that's exactly what happened

i'm sympathetic to the development team to a certain extent because, yes, gamedev is a challenge, but poor project management (e.g. hyperfixating on making sure that every hero had to have X number of talents on launch instead of just getting the loving mode out the door first) and poor communication over progress and pitfalls has consequences in terms of community trust and an ongoing willingness to engage with a product whose entire future is deeply uncertain

I just wouldn't say anything. I think this is just adding more fuel to the current fire on their hands. But yeah I am sympathetic but its also like ok wtf then like cmon now

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Story Missions focus on fast-paced, co-op gameplay, as well as story, cinematics, and cutscenes that expand the world of Overwatch. Story Missions tell a linear narrative about the heroes of Overwatch reuniting and battling the new Null Sector threat, pushing the story of Overwatch forward for the first time since our original game released. These missions take place on huge maps with new enemies and new cinematics. We will begin to release them in Season 6. The work done here is amazing, leaps and bounds above what we’ve built for PvE previously in our game, and I can't wait for our players to get their hands on them. We’ll be sharing more details there in the coming weeks.

:thunk: Now I'm dumb as hell but this sounds suspiciously like PvE. I guess they're trying to muddy the waters or the backlash prompted an order to begin smashing what assets they had together to at least generate some new archives style content?

But surely this isn't what they originally meant because people wouldn't be this mad if they said "hey guys, covid huh, wild, anyway we're starting small with the first bits of pve content with more to come." Am I missing something?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I just wouldn't say anything. I think this is just adding more fuel to the current fire on their hands. But yeah I am sympathetic but its also like ok wtf then like cmon now

i genuinely think it looks worse if you ignore it at this point, because the blowback has been coming from every corner of the OW community and even a significant number of content creators outside the ecosystem

this obviously won't soothe hurt feelings much, but it at least shows a certain degree of dedication to trying to make things right versus dropping the "PVE is cancelled" bombshell and then hiding in a bunker for the next few months like you hadn't just burnt every shred of remaining goodwill your community had

Doomykins posted:

:thunk: Now I'm dumb as hell but this sounds suspiciously like PvE.

the idea behind PVE originally was to have a truly open mode where you could pick whatever hero you wanted, go through dynamic missions, and have genuine progress that carries over between each session to promote repeated play, whereas "story missions" are just archives/junkenstein with a limited pool, no progress, and no point on replaying them except, i guess, battle pass progress and getting a high score like it's 1980

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh so they're trying to PR speak the holiday/archives maps design and I guess they'll belt out a few more that you can only play for two weeks a year. Which is insanely stupid and they'd have gotten goodwill to fix that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
They probably want to re-use a bunch of assets and cinematics they already have lol

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wouldn't it be funny if Diablo IV didn't turn much of - or if even turn - a profit

Especially with OW2's team being gutted for it

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Some of y'all are pretty intense. I'll understand being disappointed, but I'll never understand being bitter over something like this. You are not owed anything, especially when it comes to video gaming, which at the end of the day is just entertainment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

leftist heap posted:

They probably want to re-use a bunch of assets and cinematics they already have lol

yeah presumably going to be this. they're going to be cannibalizing that for releasable content for ages

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Pvt. Parts posted:

Some of y'all are pretty intense. I'll understand being disappointed, but I'll never understand being bitter over something like this. You are not owed anything, especially when it comes to video gaming, which at the end of the day is just entertainment.

They took away a game I spent $40 on, forever. A chunk of us are literally owed something, ignoring your pro-corporation, anti-consumer stance here.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

blizzard's strongest dickrider

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Pvt. Parts posted:

I think gamers are kind of less respected as customers vs other industries, (and it doesn’t help when gamers are typically young with bad impulse control so any sort of resistance to this just vaporizes when a shiny new thing comes out) so I think it’s good that they stay mad and rambunctious on a large scale because it was still a promise and it was broken and the way everything has been handled shows a sort of paternalistic way game companies see customers.

On a personal level, I agree it’s pretty silly to have your week ruined or something by this news. Vote with wallet, apply pressure any way you can to the publisher, move on I guess.

Thanks to this thread I leaned about the starship troopers game and that seems kind of fun. I haven’t done a PVE co-op game that wasn’t a L4D-like in a hot minute. Something to look forward to after work.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

i think youre owed something when a product you spent money on promises something in exchange for that money, imo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

Somebody should've told the devs that before they continually made promises. :shrug: Honestly this is so close to being a scam that Blizzard undoubtedly had several legal meetings to make sure they weren't liable, especially when they knew they were lying about it over a year ago.

"You are not owed anything", even if somebody specifically makes a deal with you for it? That seems like a pretty intense way to go through life yourself!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

widespread posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if Diablo IV didn't turn much of - or if even turn - a profit

Especially with OW2's team being gutted for it
gamers are never ever ever capable of not spending money on things for highminded reasons

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Weren’t there gonna be skins and unlocks tied to pve too lol

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Endorph posted:

i think youre owed something when a product you spent money on promises something in exchange for that money, imo

Sandwolf posted:

They took away a game I spent $40 on, forever. A chunk of us are literally owed something, ignoring your pro-corporation, anti-consumer stance here.

I thought PvE was always supposed to be additional paid content, as in DLC. So you haven't paid for anything yet? People calling me a Blizzard dickrider just show that they feel entitled to the creative output of others. Touch grass.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Trolling this good deserves a Play of the Game reel.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Doomykins posted:

Trolling this good deserves a Play of the Game reel.

When I played OW1 beta I felt like a god because I could occasionally get decent POTG. For whatever reason nobody ever decided to look up, so landing on them as Winston was probably the highlight of my Overwatch career. Then people wisened up to everything and I was destined to be low silver for eternity.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Pvt. Parts posted:

I thought PvE was always supposed to be additional paid content, as in DLC. So you haven't paid for anything yet? People calling me a Blizzard dickrider just show that they feel entitled to the creative output of others. Touch grass.

The PvE was the *specific* justification for shutting down OW1. They explicitly said “We are taking away the game you spent $40 for but in exchange you will get this new mode and such for free.” Then it turns out to be a total bait-and-switch.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

I hope Bobby Kotick reads this, bro.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

gamers are never ever ever capable of not spending money on things for highminded reasons

I can confirm as someone who bought a skin solely because the crotch was well accentuated and prominent.

buglord posted:

Thanks to this thread I leaned about the starship troopers game and that seems kind of fun. I haven’t done a PVE co-op game that wasn’t a L4D-like in a hot minute. Something to look forward to after work.

We have a new thread for that, funny enough. Give it a look and kill every bug you can. Even if it kills you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the cool thing about so many gamers being just absolutely broken little freaks is that even the most seemingly obvious trolls might actually be sincere

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

the Starship Troopers game fuckin owns and costs as much as a single lovely OW2 skin + weapon charm

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sandwolf posted:

The PvE was the *specific* justification for shutting down OW1. They explicitly said “We are taking away the game you spent $40 for but in exchange you will get this new mode and such for free.” Then it turns out to be a total bait-and-switch.

The funny thing is, they did bait and switch us, just not like how you said. OW2 PvP was going to be free "for Overwatch 1 owners", while the PvE was always billed as a full premium experience and a separate thing you could buy or not buy and it wouldn't affect your PvP gameplay. Basically, they needed to update the engine for PvE, but you wouldn't be charged if you didn't care about PvE. Except... Overwatch 2 is f2p... so you really didn't get anything except the ugly Sombra and Doomfist skins for being an OW1 player, and now you have to pay for skins with actual irl dollars.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do have a ton of giant maps with cut scenes and stuff that get drip-fed as limited time events in the coming months, along with whatever skins were originally going to be gated behind finishing hero challenges and stuff. I bet a lot of the really random poo poo they sometimes throw on the shop or battlepass was probably made with that in mind.

Wheeee posted:

the Starship Troopers game fuckin owns and costs as much as a single lovely OW2 skin + weapon charm

16 players is kind of a lot though. Can I jump on a server with 2-4 friends and have a good time loving around or do you need more coordination than that

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

16 players is kind of a lot though. Can I jump on a server with 2-4 friends and have a good time loving around or do you need more coordination than that

The gently caress do you mean you need coordination? Just shoot the bugs.

I jest. While it is 16 players, it's sequestered to different fireteams. 4-5 fireteams per mission, so you and your friends can just windmill slam pick a HOPEFULLY empty one and just dick around there.

Also you kinda need a FOB for the objective, and having only four dinguses fabricate an entire shitbox perimeter might take a bit, especially when the defend mission starts in two minutes. It's a LOT FASTER when you have 16 dinguses since building/repairing speed is buffed per trooper on it. Not to mention the sheer NUMBER of bugs ready to have you replaced in seconds. And even after you defend, you still have to run to the extract which shuts off respawning while keeping the threat level at max.

So basically, you kinda need the extra bodies. Coordination's as easy as making a square.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Vermain posted:

i genuinely think it looks worse if you ignore it at this point, because the blowback has been coming from every corner of the OW community and even a significant number of content creators outside the ecosystem

this obviously won't soothe hurt feelings much, but it at least shows a certain degree of dedication to trying to make things right versus dropping the "PVE is cancelled" bombshell and then hiding in a bunker for the next few months like you hadn't just burnt every shred of remaining goodwill your community had

the idea behind PVE originally was to have a truly open mode where you could pick whatever hero you wanted, go through dynamic missions, and have genuine progress that carries over between each session to promote repeated play, whereas "story missions" are just archives/junkenstein with a limited pool, no progress, and no point on replaying them except, i guess, battle pass progress and getting a high score like it's 1980

It really comes down to how much these upcoming story missions will differ from Archives where it's just "do what you'd normally do on this map, but some sections are altered and there's character chatter". Hopefully they took what was fun & cool from the 2019 Rio demo and last fall's Bride of Junkenstein event and expanded on it. If they really wanted to ease our pain, Blizzard could throw us a bone by making each story mission release a permanent part of the game (other PvE modes would still come and go), so as the seasons go on there'd be an expanding library of missions to choose from via the Watchpoint Gibraltar map interface. That way, someone who angrily uninstalled the game this week might return later on and have a small stack of missions to try out. Or maybe that would gradually bloat the install size to 300GB, who knows?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Chillgamesh posted:

It's all official servers that you queue into, so you can run a group of any size from solo to a full 16 and the game will fill in the rest if necessary; it finds and fills games quite quickly.

On the easy difficulty you don't need to be particularly coordinated at all, and most of the videos you'll see if you look it up on YouTube are playing on easy. Hard mode requires coordination and working together to survive and is more authentic to the movie experience of bugs ripping you apart nearly instantly if you let them get close.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

buglord posted:

I think gamers are kind of less respected as customers vs other industries,

Spend one day moderating on the Steam forums and you'll understand why

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

novaSphere posted:

Spend one day moderating on the Steam forums and you'll understand why

Game customers are very stupid but I don't think they're notably more stupid than customers anywhere else. Yeah you'll get idiot gamers posting 10,000 word rants full of slurs about how your game sucks rear end because it has too many black people, but if you've ever worked retail or food service that's just par for the course.

At least a terrible steam forum customer can't take a poo poo in your retail store's changing room.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

if walmart and mcdonalds had official forums full of customer posters they wouldn't be any better than game forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Wheeee posted:

if walmart and mcdonalds had official forums full of customer posters they wouldn't be any better than game forums

i was once sat in a dairy queen eating a hamburger when some old white fucker came in and started aggressively haranguing the poor cashier because they'd accidentally put a small fries in his order and he went on a longwinded tirade about how he's always hated their fries, he thinks they're disgusting, etc. for a solid 3 minutes

there's absolutely the same volume of dipshit customers in other businesses, they just don't happen to use twitter as much